Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default T Series vs XR8

OK, I tried to do a search but found little.

What are your thoughts? I would love a T3 but just at the minute its out of the question. But real value for money can be found in some XR8's and T1/T2's.

My issue at the moment is I want a manual, but have surrendered to the idea of an auto ONLY if it was a T series.

This then brings up another issue, if I get a S1 or S2 T then why not get a S2 or S3 XR8 and have more power and a high chance of a manual.

Anyone else been through this process? Both cars currently offer great value. I am in need of a family bus/weekend cruiser within 6 months.

BA-BF is out of the question because of price, and any BA-BF in my range is not what I want anyway.

Cheers

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

T2 TS50 is nice but I love the XR front.

SII or III XR8 would be my choice, with the SII just make sure it is a late version with the 220kw engine.

Another option is the SII Rebel, real nice they are.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

I was in this pickle a few months back. I went and checked out a series 1 or 2 AU TE50 manual for $16,500. It was great, had all the goods. Then one day at work I got curious and started looking at BA XR8 manuals. The cheaper ones were around the $22,000 mark. So i thought bugger it, i want more power and it's not as old. So got the BA.
But i think that the TE50's and the like will have a hell of a lot better resale IMO! And plus they are just that extra bit more special and catch peoples eye a bit more. And they look horn!!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same dilema when i was looking at buying an AU V8. I saw this beautiful red T2 TE50 at an auction with red and black leather interior, 18" T3 rims and a few optional features. It ended up selling for $17k. The only reason i didnt buy it was because it was an auto. 1 month later after looking around i found an AU XR8 220kw with leather and manual transmission which i picked up for a couple of grand cheaper.
At the end of the day its your decision and your the one whos going to be driving it and there both good cars so you wont be disappointed with either of them.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
T2 TS50 is nice but I love the XR front.

SII or III XR8 would be my choice, with the SII just make sure it is a late version with the 220kw engine.

Another option is the SII Rebel, real nice they are.
Ive noticed a few Rebels, but other than rims and kit was anything different from the normal XR8?

Also, anyone know what date the AU2's went from 200 to 220kws?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
fordAU

No intent to start a boring old manual vs auto debate but if your heart is set on a manual don't go the auto route, you will regret it.

No better bang for buck than a manual 220, fantastic overall package that go like the clappers, you won't go wrong.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
womble101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ive noticed a few Rebels, but other than rims and kit was anything different from the normal XR8?

Also, anyone know what date the AU2's went from 200 to 220kws?
The rims, momo interior and the badge on the rear door are the main parts. Most S3 XR8s got the ford motorsport kit, and alot came with the momo gear as well.
But those wheels do look nice when the cars clean. :
womble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble101
The rims, momo interior and the badge on the rear door are the main parts. Most S3 XR8s got the ford motorsport kit, and alot came with the momo gear as well.
Didn't they get leather, premo brakes and a free PS2 too?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble101
I do love the look of those rims, but I think id sooner get a S3220 for less and get some aftermarket rims anyway.

I think only 125 rebels where made too.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick up a BAXR8 for 18k or less. How much is your budget?

I sold mine 6 months ago full of quality mods (Billies, springs, intake, flash tune, full exhaust, 4 piston AP's, shifter etc etc) , leather, wheels, 5 speed with 120k for 20500. It was in perfect condition and had a huge service history - serviced regardless of cost.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistedXR
1 month later after looking around i found an AU XR8 220kw with leather and manual transmission which i picked up for a couple of grand cheaper.
That would be my pick too, an AUIII XR8 manual with leather is a nice car.

I wish my BA was a manual :

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

Quote:
They were the starting point for AU2 XR8's to get the 220 motor...
T2 TE50 #082 in Galaxy Blue

• ESS Auto • Twin 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust by Manta • Premium Brakes • 18" Azzuros • Premium Sound • K&N Filter •

1985 XF Falcon GL

• 4.1 • 4 Speed Manual • 15" Steelies • Snow White • Otherwise stock...for now •

2004 Porsche Cayenne S

• 4.5 V8 • 6 Speed Auto • 19" OEM Alloys in Bronze • Crystal Silver • Sunroof • PASM • The grocery getter
nutter_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
5L
[ 5L ]

series 2/3 220 xr8, manual, leather, premium sound = good bang for buck
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went through the same decision process not long ago and you are right, a T1 or T2 can be had for the same money as a AUIII XR. I ended up deciding on a T2 TE50.

An XR will be more of a go-fast car (AUIII XR8 will have the 220 kw and higher chance of being a manual) but the T-Series cars can be that and more, they are definitely more refined and you'll get more for your money. If you want the 220 kw motor, you would need to get a T2 however, as T1's were 200 kw.

The car was going to be a daily driver for me, so had to be drivable and comfortable. It was the T-Series interior and Fairmont based appointments that made the decision - the Fairmont dash, leather interior, premium sound, electric windows front and rear to name a few. Also there's the higher resale value of the T-Series cars, as well as the limited production of them and Tickford build numbers (not sure if this applies to XR's)?

I love manuals, but daily driving would make a manual laborious rather than fun so I was definite on going auto, and the ESS in the TE50 makes it the best of both worlds - this might not apply to you though as you want a weekend car, but something to bear in mind...
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

What sort of money are you looking at spending? I might have a manual XR8 for sale in the near future :P
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #16
DaveTE
Back in black

I love the front of the XR though the T-series are still good looking. Comes down to your opinion and likes. I've got an XR8 as the daily and the T-series as the occasional cruiser. Depends what you want. If you go the XR8 just check out the mods done to it and makes sure all has been done well cause yes you can get more bang for your buck but make sure it's the right kind a bang. Have a seat in a T1 or T2 then have a look at the XR there is a bit of difference. Only draw back is the T3 TE50(not the series 1/2 TE50) has basically the same interior as an XR, I forget which is which until the pedal goes down.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSXR8
I was in this pickle a few months back. I went and checked out a series 1 or 2 AU TE50 manual for $16,500. It was great, had all the goods. Then one day at work I got curious and started looking at BA XR8 manuals. The cheaper ones were around the $22,000 mark. So i thought bugger it, i want more power and it's not as old. So got the BA.
But i think that the TE50's and the like will have a hell of a lot better resale IMO! And plus they are just that extra bit more special and catch peoples eye a bit more. And they look horn!!
Was that a Red TE50? In Tralalgon? I was looking at the same thing when I brought my BA..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
dreadly
Banned

Mate all depends on what you want and like the most... what your drivng, style is, road/traffic conditions etc....
At the end of the day i really believe the black sheep and king bang for your buck is a low km leather manual, 200kw Au 2 xr8. Now the 20kw difference- if your not planing on supercharging or stroking the budget thing make me think we safe there lol
Isnt really worth it?- cause a good exhaust and extractors can get that. Change the Air intake, Get a set of 1.72 YT roller rockers, the cam in the 200kw engines is Bigger than the 220kw, and get a 70mm T/b... And thats one big bang in a good way
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:41 PM   #19
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

LOL One vote for the 200kw...... I gotta be bias, makes me feel a tad better about myself not gettin the 220 :P But it was wat i could aford at the time and got my baby dirt cheap in fantastic cond!

GO THE XR8!!

Cheers Frank

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'd go the XR8 (and I did). Reason being that especially with a family, a T series will get knocked around and you'll kick yourself for it. I'm enough about my car, I can't imagine what I would be like with a T series.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr auxr8
LOL One vote for the 200kw...... I gotta be bias, makes me feel a tad better about myself not gettin the 220 :P But it was wat i could aford at the time and got my baby dirt cheap in fantastic cond!

GO THE XR8!!

Cheers Frank
Yeah and now you're trying to sell it for about $5k more than what its worth!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #22
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yeah and now you're trying to sell it for about $5k more than what its worth!
Actually not sellin it now, got new excedy clutch and slotted rotors goin in the nxt few days.. i cant get myself to part with it!

Oh and ive seen cars for sale with less options and extras for more around!

Cheers

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
mr302xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #23
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

T1 (or T2 for a little extra $) TS50 is a screaming bargain if you can get one. Powered Recaro seats, alloy headed 220 engine, ESS and the bigger brakes std are all good reasons. The Auburgine leather really finishes them off and they can be a good looking bugger in black or silver.

Then again, I am biased!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #24
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember sitting in your one daniel, it definatly was nice,absolutly loved that interior, but at the time it was just a little out of our price range and we didnt want to borrow any money for a car and settled on a S3 XR8 sedan with leather and sunroof.

If i was in a position to buy again it would definatly be a T3, but for now no regrets with the XR8, its a damn fine car, eats the miles with easy and looks tough.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #25
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Was that a Red TE50? In Tralalgon? I was looking at the same thing when I brought my BA..

Yep, sure was. It was pretty nice, few little areas needed fixing, but pretty nice!

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #26
XXRR-50
Formerly ORSMT-2

I was in a similar situation before I bought my T2 TE50. I thought of S3 XR8, but the for the price you pay for a fully optioned one (leather, premo sound, sunroof), you can buy T1/T2 TE/TS50. I always liked the understated looks of T1/T2's and then eliminated the XR. I wanted auto, so no issue there.

I like my cars fully optioned and T1/T2 TS50 was on top of my list. I wanted low kays one with sunroof. Then my TE popped up with all the options (leather, premo sound, sunroof, premo brakes, koni's and azzurro's), and I knew that was the car I want and pretty much up to TS specs.

If I didn't find my TE, I would be still searching for a TS (in my opinion worth the extras).

The best way for you is to probably test-drive both and see which car suits you better.

Previous cars:
'03 BA G220 Fairlane
'00 T2 TE50 #063(ORSMT-2)
'96 EFII Fairmont Ghia 5l V8(TOPGIA#2)
'03 BA Fairmont Ghia I6(TOPGIA#1)
'94 ED XR6(TKFRD-6)
'93 EB S-XR6

FOR SALE: ORSMT-2 NUMBER PLATES
XXRR-50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

BIASED OPINION:

Get a T3.... go on... do it, i know you want to. Nothing compares!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
If you want the 220 kw motor, you would need to get a T2 however, as T1's were 200 kw..
Incorrect T1 TS50 has a 220kw motor.

Im a big fan of the AU XR front very aggressive and purposefull. You will have a higher chance of finding a manual aswell. But buying a T series (T1/2) you will get all the creature comforts that the XR doesnt have and you might also end up with premium brakes aswell.
Old 13-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
BIASED OPINION:

Get a T3.... go on... do it, i know you want to. Nothing compares!
I agree, price is the only thing stopping me at the moment.

Great responses guys, so glad it didn't turn into a dog fight.

Something that I haven't thought about is towing rating. Anyone know what the T5's in the AU's can handle?

This could be one thing that changes my mind, or would it be just a case of being gentle with a manual?

Also, does anyone have any pics of the interior of a T1? Please tell me its not the same colour as other AU1's.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I agree, price is the only thing stopping me at the moment.

Great responses guys, so glad it didn't turn into a dog fight.

Something that I haven't thought about is towing rating. Anyone know what the T5's in the AU's can handle?

This could be one thing that changes my mind, or would it be just a case of being gentle with a manual?

Also, does anyone have any pics of the interior of a T1? Please tell me its not the same colour as other AU1's.
IIRC towing capacity on a manual is 1200kg whereas on an auto it is 1600kg or with the HD tow pack it is 2300kg.