Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Lyko

Default Buying a used Mondeo XR5

Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before but I need some guidance in purchasing a used XR5 Mondeo for my wife. Our budget is around $18-20K.

While the MA is within budget, I’ve noticed a few MB’s with higher kilometers that are a couple of grand over. I would be happy to stretch to an MB (as it has standard sunroof, voice operated Bluetooth, active cruise, different wheels and trim levels), but I need to understand whether I need to be wary of any mechanical issues with those nearing/over 100,000 kms.

Is there anything of a mechanical nature that has specifically affected the XR5 which I need to check in greater detail?

Your feedback is most appreciated.

Lyko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Buying a used Mondeo XR5

Great car. As with any car just look for a decent service history. If it has a decent history you should be right.

I would go with the MB, I owned one and the extra few things it has over the MA make it a great drive.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Some early MA series hatch had build quality issues with water leaking in around the rear change. A running change to window seals in production fix future builds, but check to see if your target MA has had the fix applied (Ford should be able to tell you, just need VIN as was a warranty fix).

MB has a lot of extra (now standard) goodies over MA, and the red piping (not silver) adds a bit more swish to the interior IMHO.

-Daily drive : MB XR5 in Moondust Silver
-Todays Drive: Red convertibubble V8 classic
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Lyko

Appreciate the reply guys.

I've read elsewhere about the new rubber seals but didn't know how to check (now I do!). I also note possible key fob issues when replacing the battery but it doesn't sound major.

The more I see the MB, the more I like. Plus my wife would really like one with a sunroof!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
ian b

Have owned MA & MB, and would have to say go for the latter for the extra dollars if you can. Better spec/toys Including USB in glove box which makes iPod use much easier. some MA do have sunroof as it was an option, along with voice control on the very early MA available here.
Dash in MB looks better in piano black, though would have preferred blue stitching and dash lighting I changed the interior lights to blue using LEDs
Worth noting that not all dealers accepted that the MA water in hatch issue was a warranty fix, so possible you might get one without the new seal arrangement, Ford Australia told me that it was as designed therefore not a fault to be repaired under warranty.
ACC is good but can take time to get used to overtaking as it has a tendency to detect the vehicle in the inside lane and try to hold the space rather than maintain the set speed. I sometimes have to override then reset once past the vehicle.
Hope this helps you decide.

Last edited by ian b; 11-03-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added comment on acc
ian b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Lyko

A very detailed response. Cheers Ian.

Agree with comments of the interior with the MB.

It's a great car confirmed by positive reviews.

I'll let everyone know how I go.
Old 16-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Did you buy ?
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
piquetcon
Starter Motor

Hi Guys, not wanting to hijack the thread, but unfortunately just posted my MA XR5 for sale. Has been an excellent car and will be sad to let it go.
Is there a place where you can post your car for sale within the forum or is it considered ok to create a thread referencing the car for sale.

Cheers
Pete
piquetcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

There is a For Sale section, however there are minimum post counts required before you can access it. Scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page, and there should be a post outlining the requirements to you.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Lyko

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on the XR5 Mondeo car hunt.

Based on previous posts, we focused on a MB model due to the fact it has the unique alloys and includes standard sunroof and voice activated bluetooth.

We found one within our price range so after a test drive and RACV test, my wife became the proud owner of a 2009 MB XR5 Mondeo.

Colour is Sea Gray.

Spent all day yesterday giving it a major detail. Very impressed with build quality and the standard features.

At first I didn't know whether she would like the idea of a manual but five minutes in (on the test drive), she knew it was the car for her. She cannot stop mentioning how much she loves her new toy every night I get home from work which justifies the decision was the right one.

Appreciate all the help received by forum members.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5220/p1100865i.jpg
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
ian b

welcome aboard, glad my earlier comments were a help.
The Sea Grey is the best colour, particluaty with the contrasting ligher grey panels.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Lyko

Thanks Ian.

It definitely comes up a treat after a good wash and polish.

Finally I can't believe I spelt 'grey' they way I did!