NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #481
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

For everyone who says "insurance is so expensive" , it's all relative .... my first pay was $27.00 a week , but I still insured my car 3rd party (many years ago , yep I'm an old phart). If insurance has "outstripped" wage rises , it's because people don't insure...
I'm on a pension now with 3 kids , paying off a house , $50+ a week for medication & still insure my cars (1, Comp. 1, 3rd party) and believe me a pension is an existance only.

If you want a car , adjust your living expenses . You can pay for fuel , why not insurance , even 3rd party.

"When not If" you write-off somebody's $30k car, even at $500 a year insurance it will save you up to 60 years . (60 yrs x $500 = $30k)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 22-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #482
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a proclamation.
Anyone who drives without insurance is an imbecile who aspires to be a moron.
Whilst so many talk about being poor and not able to afford it they are in a situation where they can least afford a hefty damage bill - yet they gamble with that fact on a daily basis.

I have had this misfortune of dealing with someone without insurance and they tried to run away (literally) from the scene of an accident. What kind of a man or woman does this? They have just inflicted tremendous damage and reprehensibly try to shirk responsibility. No wonder there is little civility left in this world. This jag off whilst waiting for the police to arrive mentioned filing for bankruptcy - as though that would solve all of his problems.

I for one would not like to gamble my life and or lifestyle on a single moment by tempting fate. Even if you can guarantee your undivided attention to the road that still doesn't allow for other factors like other drivers. There are many scenarios where other drivers may cause an accident, yet technically you are at fault.

So I put it to the imbeciles on this thread, the ones that have waxed idiotic about the merits of no insurance, to give me one single reason as to why their thoughts aren't reckless and stupid.

As a friend once put it to me; "Drink and drive - you're a bloody idiot. Drive without insurance; you're a f%@%&n dumb c%@%."

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 27-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #483
jim1606
Jim

is it legal to drive without insurance in oz then?
Old 30-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #484
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Jim
In NSW there's 2 types of "3rd Party" insurance

1/ "Compulsory Third Party Personal Injury Insurance" (otherwise known as "Green Slip") This one you MUST have to register your car . This covers the injuries to the other person in an accident if you are at fault .

2/ "Third Party Property Insurance " covers damage to the "other persons" car if you are at fault in the accident , but not your own car.

Third Party Property is the one being discussed here . If someone hits your car & doesn't have this insurance there's a good chance you have to repair your own car either out of your own pocket or lose part of your "No Claim Bonus" with your own Insurance company. :yeees:

Old 30-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #485
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1606
is it legal to drive without insurance in oz then?
as long as you've paid for registration, which includes the TAC 'insurance premium' (covers others' personal injuries in the event of an accident, if you have the ability to extract blood from stone) then as far as i'm aware that's all you need. If however you are at fault and hit an enzo ferrari, then it's your problem, your BIG problem.
Old 30-07-2006, 12:13 AM   #486
jim1606
Jim

cheers, i thougt that you were allowed to drive with no insurance
Old 30-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #487
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

the moron that initiated the four car pile-up i was in a few weeks ago had no insurance. Naturally, he was a raving moron. He seemed to believe that if he paid one installment of $400 (standard excess for MOST insurance companies in Melbourne) that all the cars would be repaired. Even though, he didn't actually have any insurance. This guy was in his 40's... where do these people come from, seriously ?
Old 30-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #488
Nifty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Third Party Property is the one being discussed here . If someone hits your car & doesn't have this insurance there's a good chance you have to repair your own car either out of your own pocket or lose part of your "No Claim Bonus" with your own Insurance company. :yeees:
Have just had this happen to me - and your wrong

The insurance company (AAMI*) simply paid for the car to be fixed, no change to my "no claim" as I wasn't at fault, no excess payment.

The insurance company will get the money from the uninsured person _ somehow - don't really care

Am getting a new car in a few weeks - its on order, the cost to insure different vehicles makes me wonder though.

Subaru WRX (MY05) = $1150 for a $40k car
F6 Typhoon BF = $695 for a $60k car :

*gotta give em a plug they were very good
Old 30-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #489
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty
Have just had this happen to me - and your wrong

The insurance company (AAMI*) simply paid for the car to be fixed, no change to my "no claim" as I wasn't at fault, no excess payment.

The insurance company will get the money from the uninsured person _ somehow - don't really care

Am getting a new car in a few weeks - its on order, the cost to insure different vehicles makes me wonder though.

Subaru WRX (MY05) = $1150 for a $40k car
F6 Typhoon BF = $695 for a $60k car :

*gotta give em a plug they were very good

maybe the F6 has cheaper parts, but yeah there's little rhyme or reason for the price differences. I'm paying $1200 on rating one for a non turbo xr6! That's with AAMI too. High theft area.
Old 30-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #490
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

people who refuse to get basic car insurance for whatever petty reason, obviously dont care for themselves or other people. These ones are the scum of road users IMHO. If you cant afford any insurance, DONT DRIVE, take the bus.

I have heard of stories of too many people even WITHOUT rego and get caught. Just plain stupid, careless and dangerous.

Have a nice day!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #491
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Nifty]Have just had this happen to me - and your wrong

Hey Nifty , No need to "bold" it , this is only a discussion, it's quite a number of years since this happened to me and at that time I did lose 20% of my No Claim (60% to 40%) for 12 months because the guy claimed he was "Broke" but this was mid 70's , times change and so do Insurance rules in 30 yrs , and I haven't had an accident with an "uninsured" since , so no recent claims of this type. But it's good to hear you're not "out of pocket" like I was.

Only accident since , Mrs hit a 'roo last year , so insurance company couldn't really try & claim off him . $400 excess & lost 20% NCB.

ED Fairmont Wagon insurance $ 5,000 40% NCB $251.06

All cool Mate , Peace .....

Old 30-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #492
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
maybe the F6 has cheaper parts, but yeah there's little rhyme or reason for the price differences. I'm paying $1200 on rating one for a non turbo xr6! That's with AAMI too. High theft area.

Sevral things go into an insurance Premium. Everyone automatically assumes high theft area. May be part of it but very very little. Mostly is about claim statistics in an area. Take the gold coast for intance, in the last year they have had 2 hail storms, 1 flood, bushfires (northern rivers area) all which created a lot of claims to be paid out. You better believe that will be a more expensive area than a place that did not have thise events happen.
As for Different cars and their cost or insured value, less than 2% of all claims are total loss claims, therefore that means the cars need to be priced for what they cost to repair and the frequency of claims on that type of car.
When a wrx has an accident it is usually a major accident due to they hold on to the road so well you have to be doing something considerably stupid for an accident to happen in them, usually meaning a bigger accident than another type of car. I often to explain it as a car being too safe. Not to mention wrx have high repair and parts pricing also as there is so much more to repair on them. That is why there can be so many differences.
Old 30-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #493
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

LOL! i am 17 and i own a V8....insurance for me is 38 bucks a month wouldn't be without it would you (racq)

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
Old 30-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #494
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

LOL! i am 17 and i own a V8....insurance for me is 38 bucks a month wouldn't be without it would you (racq)

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
Old 31-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #495
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

A simple tale.

I owned an XB. Worth at the time $3000. Got collected at a set of lights by a corolla with no lights on that came out from behind a truck that was turn right from the opposit lane to where I was turning right. i was deemed at fault. I did $15000 damage to her car and wrote mine off, total of $18000.

My third party insurance that cost me $173 a year at the time, has saved me from years of paying off someone else's car.

I have had full comprehensive ever since, and would NEVER consider driving without it. I do have the benefit of a history of insurance since I was 19 (when I got my first car) You never know what someone else might do, that puts you at fault in the eyes of the law/insurance companies. Not worth it.

I also do not buy into bitchin about the cost of insurance. Anyone who purchases a high performance or modified vehicle should look into all costs associated with running the car, including all ON road costs like insurance.

my 1c worth

Cheers Envi
Old 31-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #496
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8

I also do not buy into bitchin about the cost of insurance. Anyone who purchases a high performance or modified vehicle should look into all costs associated with running the car, including all ON road costs like insurance.

my 1c worth

Cheers Envi
A nice piece of advice for the youngen's.....

The first thing I do when looking for a new car is first decide what sort of car I want(Derr), then call the insurance Co and get full Comp insurance for the cars I will be look into buy. If one of the cars I am interested in has a excessive premium, I then wipe it from my list.....

Oh I don't just get quotes from 1 insureCo either, I call 4 insur co's

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 31-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #497
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Envi, I have a similar tale about a mate of mine.
Went to Pickles Auctions, bought a BA fairlane G220.
Spoke to me and I advised him to get a cover note before the key went in the ignition.
He agreed, but somewhere between our conversation and the excitement of a new car he forgot.
Anyway, long story short, he was not used to the car and was cut off by a taxi on belmore road where people dart across to avoid traffic turning right on canterbury road. He went up the rear of this taxi, even though the taxi pulled in and caused an accident.
He was deemed at fault (as he went up behind someone), and had to pay $6000.00 for the taxi, $13500 for the fairlane and luckily, the car had a greenslip as the driver went for compo.

The lesson learnt is, for the sake of a phone call he could have avoided paying almost $20,000 on an accident that was not his fault.
Again, you must be a renegade dead**** not to get insurance. There are NO excuses.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 31-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #498
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
....Again, you must be a renegade dead**** not to get insurance. There are NO excuses.
Absolutely agree. No excuses for basic run of the mill 3rd party insurance AT LEAST!!!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 31-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #499
61sg
Starter Motor

i cant believe how many people on here dont have insurance!

ive always had at least third party and nearly had comprehensive.

We had a guy at work whom i used to argue with till i was blue in the face about the merits of 3rd party but alas he drove a lil bunky that he didnt care for and hence cared even less for other peoples property.
when i would say to him what if you hit a bmw he would reply with what if i dont....

its because of people like this that 3rd party should be made compulsory.

oh and i dont care how wealthy someone is either theres been more than one of these people fall from grace and declare bankrupcy
Old 31-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #500
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

got 3rd party on the EA but cant afford it with the XR8 yet

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 31-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #501
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sg
i cant believe how many people on here dont have insurance!

ive always had at least third party and nearly had comprehensive.

We had a guy at work whom i used to argue with till i was blue in the face about the merits of 3rd party but alas he drove a lil bunky that he didnt care for and hence cared even less for other peoples property.
when i would say to him what if you hit a bmw he would reply with what if i dont....

its because of people like this that 3rd party should be made compulsory.

oh and i dont care how wealthy someone is either theres been more than one of these people fall from grace and declare bankrupcy
rehashing on very very very early posts in this thread. Some seem to forget not all people can get insurance. They might be able to afford it but if the insurance companies won't insure you? What can you do.

I had that problem with the XB. The car was too modified. Vigil wouldn't come to the party. Shannons (Forum Sponsor) in the end came to the party. Since then I've also swapped my EL Falcon insurance over.

My 1st XB went uninsured for 5 years and the current 1 for 12mths. My other cars are insured full comp. I'm rating 1 yet couldn't insure the XB till I was over the age of 29. I'm a few years beyond that now :(

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 01-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #502
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
rehashing on very very very early posts in this thread. Some seem to forget not all people can get insurance. They might be able to afford it but if the insurance companies won't insure you? What can you do.

I had that problem with the XB. The car was too modified. Vigil wouldn't come to the party. Shannons (Forum Sponsor) in the end came to the party. Since then I've also swapped my EL Falcon insurance over.

My 1st XB went uninsured for 5 years and the current 1 for 12mths. My other cars are insured full comp. I'm rating 1 yet couldn't insure the XB till I was over the age of 29. I'm a few years beyond that now :(
Not to be a smart *** but wouldnt it be better not to drive the car than risk an accident with no insurance what so ever? Even if the insurance companies wont insure you for the car you want, surely just getting a insurable car until the appropriate age requirement etc would be the way to go rather than just ignoring whats better for yourself & other road users. Dont get me worng but it seems just a little bit selfish to go down that path. Please dont take this the wrong way Im not having a go, but I dont think condoning such actions is an excuse for still getting your own way. Cheers

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #503
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Not to be a smart *** but wouldnt it be better not to drive the car than risk an accident with no insurance what so ever? Even if the insurance companies wont insure you for the car you want, surely just getting a insurable car until the appropriate age requirement etc would be the way to go rather than just ignoring whats better for yourself & other road users. Dont get me worng but it seems just a little bit selfish to go down that path. Please dont take this the wrong way Im not having a go, but I dont think condoning such actions is an excuse for still getting your own way. Cheers
Blueoval, this thread is not the one to use common sence. As those with common sence are insured. I agree with you though. People are only uninsurable if they are a very high risk, and they are the the one in control of their risk, simply risk needs to be reduced.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 01-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #504
red_hotxr6
Banned

I cant believe that this has gone 21 pages and you guys have not figured yet,Do not drive out of your yard if you do not have any insurance. Full stop. Move on.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #505
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Yes, getting an insurable car would be a better option. That's all well and good for dailies but not toys as I call them. You'll find plenty are driving modified cars around uninsured. Just because they're uninsured it doesn't make them any more of a risk though.

Over the years I've had the opposite. People keep running into my cars. They seem to think because they are insured they are bullet proof.

People not in the situation of be unable to get insurance will never understand what it's like. You want it but just can't get it.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #506
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Yes, getting an insurable car would be a better option. That's all well and good for dailies but not toys as I call them. You'll find plenty are driving modified cars around uninsured. Just because they're uninsured it doesn't make them any more of a risk though.

Over the years I've had the opposite. People keep running into my cars. They seem to think because they are insured they are bullet proof.

People not in the situation of be unable to get insurance will never understand what it's like. You want it but just can't get it.
As far as risk was concerned I was only thinking from a financial point of view, not a safety one. I understand those that want modified cars will find it difficult to get the basic insurance necessary. It doesnt mean its right to going driving without insurance because you drive a modified car and CANT get insured for what ever reason. Im all for modified vehicles, I love em and have had a few in the past, but never would I be in the frame of mind that I thought 'stuff it, I wanna drive what I want and if I have an accident well who cares Im sure the person I have an accident with has full comp'.

I just find it hard to comprehend that those who CANT afford or CANT get insurance for what ever reason can instantly assume that others can look after themselves in the case of an accident. I just think its common courtesy to cover someone else's property if the accident is your fault. Its unfair to think 'well I wrote off my car too so Im out of pocket as well as you' and walk away without taking some responsibility for the incident.

Again, if you can't get insurance for a car why do you think its ok to put others out financially in the case of an accident that IS your fault?

Once again, please dont take this the wrong way Im not having a go at you personally or flaming you in any way, I just am trying to grasp human psychology behind the reason in a decision like that other than to call it plain selfishness. Its unfair to the other party imo.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #507
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason you can't grasp it is because you've never been in the situation. Risk is risk financial or physical.

If you have no isurance and have an accident? The other party is at no financial risk at all. Their insurance fixes the car and chases the at fault party in court. Either way the insured car gets fixed regardless.

I've been hit by two uninsured drivers 1) 19yo in his first car. Insurance had ran out and he couldn't afford to pay it. My car was fixed back to me in 9 days. 2) Hit by a rental car driver who didn't take out insurance. The car was back to me in 7 days. Both times at no cost to me. Just glad I have three cars.

How is it unfair if they can not obtain insurance though their own means? ie not insuring a car in your parents or spouses name. Insurance is like roadworthies certifications. They don't have to give it to you. It's totally beyond your control. Even if you do drive a Datsun 120Y.

My 50+yo dad's even been knocked back for insurance. He's rating 1 and has been for 20 years or more. He couldn't believe he had trouble insuring a VN Commodore because he had changed the exhaust from 2" -> 2 1/4". He got the exhaust for free due to a customer of the company next door not wanting it.

Insurance companies descriminate/decide whether you get insurance, not individuals. Can you get your head around that?

Old 01-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #508
Jase
-Village Idiot-

After 5 years of driving, and doing some pretty stupid stuff i had never smashed into anyone else.
I would consider myself a pretty good driver

A few months back while driving down the street like a grandpa, i managed to hit someone in a brand new expensive jap car, at LOW speed

Long story short I was at fault for a $8800 worth of repairs to the other person.
I had actually forgoten to pay my insurance renewal, but managed to fix it up and they took the claim, so it only costed me bit over $1000.

If i had not had insurance i would have been ****ed. $8800 + court costs (trust me insurance companies dont do it cheap) is a lot of bloody money to pay for a 1 second laps in concentration.

If you dont have atleast 3rd party you are running a great risk.

Even if you car is only worth $200, u hit a rolls royce your ****ed.
My crash impact would have been at like 5kph, and it still cost 8800 becasue of the type of car i hit.

3rd party even on high risk crars is only like $6 a week
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #509
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jase thats a tad : At least your insurance co helped out. My aunty did something similar in the early 80's. Smashed her 180B into a BMW or a Merc. No insurance, she had to go get a personal loan to pay for damages. She didn't drive for many years after that, maybe 5-10 years. After the loan was paid she went and bought another car (crapper) but this time shoved some 3rd party on it. She's never had another accident since.

No-one is immune from accidents. That's why they are called "accidents". I had one well over 10 years ago now. Never had another again (cross's fingers). I took the lesson learned from the 1st very hard. Now I just try and keep out of other peoples way. Although that sometimes proves challenging. No-one is perfect though although some would like to think they are. I've got an example. My dad and mum thought they were teriffic drivers. My mum and dad said I don't know how you get speeding tickets etc etc. I'd had the occasional one. They jinxed themselves. My dad accrued 3 within the next 4 months and my mum accrued 2 in the next 2 weeks. I had a little chuckle but didn't rub salt into the wounds

They have the same accident problems as me. People keep running into them :(

Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #510
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
The reason you can't grasp it is because you've never been in the situation. Risk is risk financial or physical.

If you have no isurance and have an accident? The other party is at no financial risk at all. Their insurance fixes the car and chases the at fault party in court. Either way the insured car gets fixed regardless.

I've been hit by two uninsured drivers 1) 19yo in his first car. Insurance had ran out and he couldn't afford to pay it. My car was fixed back to me in 9 days. 2) Hit by a rental car driver who didn't take out insurance. The car was back to me in 7 days. Both times at no cost to me. Just glad I have three cars.

How is it unfair if they can not obtain insurance though their own means? ie not insuring a car in your parents or spouses name. Insurance is like roadworthies certifications. They don't have to give it to you. It's totally beyond your control. Even if you do drive a Datsun 120Y.

My 50+yo dad's even been knocked back for insurance. He's rating 1 and has been for 20 years or more. He couldn't believe he had trouble insuring a VN Commodore because he had changed the exhaust from 2" -> 2 1/4". He got the exhaust for free due to a customer of the company next door not wanting it.

Insurance companies descriminate/decide whether you get insurance, not individuals. Can you get your head around that?
Hey mate, ease up. Jeez. I told you I wasn't aiming anything directly at you personally. What you choose to do is your business.

Im trying to grasp the reasons why people, insurance companies, third parties, whatever choose to make such decisions. This not a personal attack for the decisions you have made but more the fact that others especially here in SA choose to make.

For instance, I had an accident about 5 years ago in my XC GS fairmont and ended up t-boning a drunk woman in a beaten up HG prem. She came out of a t-junction without stopping and I hit her. She was in the wrong and had no insurance, she walked away scott free because she gave false details and didnt care. Now I had full comp on my car which was modified and had my car fixed up within a month. Her car was still drivable where mine was knackered. Now I was out of pocket a car, time off from work, and had to pay my excess because she 'couldnt afford' insurance. How am I not affected financially?

As far as being knocked back for insurance, how do u know that? You dont know me from a bar of soap. FYI I was knocked back several times when I was younger for owning a mildly modified XE back in the early 90's. They gave no reason, and effectively I had to get some form of insurance thru my dad. Now I could have gone without and said 'stuff it' but I didnt, I did what I thought was responsible. I think you may not have understood the context of what I was meaning.

If you have been hit by uninsured drivers I feel sorry for you. No one wants that to happen. Having your car fixed because you most probably had insurance was your saving grace. Your probably in the minority if you had have got your cars fixed for nothing.

As far as it being unfair not obtaining insurance by their own means, I dont understand what you mean by that as I was meaning it being unfair to those who get put out by being hit or whatever from a financial/timeframe factor. You cant say it doesnt cost money especially if you have your own business.

I do understand though that its not up to us to get insured, its mostly based on what information we give them that determines if we and/or our car are a liability or not to them. But if its as hard as you say, then why bother with a modified vehicle if thats what the insurance company is against? What one insurance companies policy doesnt allow, others will. its just a matter of finding the right one, but the end result still remains, you still get some form of insurance no matter the car type etc. I think thats the important factor. I dont remember mentioning any form of age requirement in my posts either even if though that does play a role to them.

I dont want to start a flame war mate, that is not my intention and never will be. I only wanted understanding. Thats why I asked the questions and if you took it personally I do appologise as it was not my intention to do so. I can see it from your side i hope you see it from mine.

If you want to discuss it more I'll be happy to chat via PM.

Cheers
Shav

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon