Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 
Default motor for door lock actuator

Anyone know if you can get a similar motor from somewhere like Jaycars? The mechanism is working fine, just the motor has got slow. I had the motor apart before, cleaned up the brushes etc, got it working really good, but it only lasted about 3 months. You can here trying to work, just hasn't got the power. Brushes too worn.

AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
toolchick01
Now with an AU XR6

Nah I work at jaycar and they don't have anything like it or even parts to fix it. Best option I have found is a change over one. They cost about $70 but they come with at least a 3 month warranty. Only other option is to buy a kit off ebay to rebuild it, but for the time, effort and money, the change over is the better option. And Ford want too much for a brand new one.

1999 AU1 XR6 VCT - Now with a momo steering wheel!
Manual - 18" Koya Race Tek's Black with polished lip - Lowered - Series 2 tail lights - Pioneer P80 Head Unit - Clarion Front 6" Splits - JL 5x7's Rear Coaxials - Clarion 4x90w RMS amp - Clarion DPX1800 800w RMS mono - 2 Clarion PXW1251 400w RMS 12" subs

Team Deck Chair Member ............ Once you sit down, you'll never stand up.
toolchick01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Thanks for your reply toolchick01.
Just been doing a bit of reading about it on the net. I think I found the problem. Its that positive temperature gradient thermistor (flat disk) which is inside the motor near the brushes. The thermistor is suppose to stop the motor burning out if it gets too hot from pushing the button for too long/too often. The thermistor gets hot, its resistance greatly increases, and so it cuts current to the motor. Apparently the thermistor gets old and doesn't let enough current to pass to the motor. The symptom is that the motor seems to work properly, but slows down too quickly, before the door is locked/unlocked. That's what mine is doing. The simple fix is to bypass the thermistor. Many have done this with no problems for many years. Will try that, but I'm not sure if it's a permanent fix, because I'm thinking the thermistor may also act as a simple timer, allowing the motor to run just long enough to lock/unlock. Will have a look at it, see if its possible for the motor to run for too long under normal operation (one normal push of the remote). I know i can get a cheap replacement for about $60 delivered, but I enjoy this sort of stuff. Jaycar and the like only sell negative temp gradient thermistors (resistance decreases with temp).
Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay so I bypassed thermistor and its working just fine. Easy fix. Now I wonder if that's why all the locks in my EF seem to work really slow (ie. the thermistors are getting old). The locks in the AU snap open and closed.
Old 27-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Rfordsfun

Default Re: motor for door lock actuator

dead thread ? took the motor out od actuator in my au fairmont ghia 2000, it works fine pressing the test button, but seems to get weaker and weaker. Reason for removing was remote wouldnt lock or unlock drivers door. Got a new one coming from america for $13. hope that fixes the issue cheap and easy, like a good ford driver should be .
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: motor for door lock actuator

Wonder how AMB's bypass fix worked back in '09. Wouldn't it have been better to replace the thermistor?

(Pretty sure that EF/EL use a different lock mechanism to the AU, the former is like a noisy cycle of about a second, the latter a snap)
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post