Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
buickman
buickman

Default Why you should have some insurance on your Car

The other day my wife was driving my AU with some friends onboard. At a set of trafffic lights a P plater in a modified Jap turbo import thought he was to far over the line & reversed back onto the AU. Getting out of his car & informing my wife that he did not see her plus he had no insurance & had a friend that can repair cars( heard this before).One of my wifes friends had a digital camera & took pics at the scene in case he wants to fight it. Plus made a report to the police for insurance purposes.

Well HELLO why do I have full comprehensive for. So I have piece of mine from uninsured people like that. I've informed him don't bother me son here is the insurance companies ph number take it up with them. I'am getting my car fixed proberly.
I hope this guy is going to learn a lesson out of this. If you want to drive a car on public roads then have some type of insurance on your car

buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Steve
torque is your friend

A friend of mine had something similar happen to him except with a taxi driver. Everything was ok until the taxi driver changed his story and claimed my friend hit him, so without witnesses he had to make an "at fault" claim and cost him about $500.
Old 28-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hear hear...... Uninsured cars SHOULD be made illegal to be driven on public roads, as it is in the USA.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Hear hear...... Uninsured cars SHOULD be made illegal to be driven on public roads, as it is in the USA.
That's a good call. 3rd party isn't that expensive. People should include insurance in their running costs.
In the story above the guy can afford to have a Jap import but cant afford to pay the 3rd party.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

3rd party is only about $350 for just about any car. Should be compulsary IMHO.

Oh well there at least one positive buickman, you'll get a new front bar out of it.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My mum got shunted by a small truck at a set of lights about 10 years ago.
The guy in the truck had no insurance, but "promised" to pay for the damage to our Mercedes.
We got quotes from smash repairer friends of ours and told him that would be $3000.
He gave us $1000 cash, promising the rest in the next 2 months.

Half way through the second month, he moved and changed his name.
We found him through a friend in the police force, and he filed for bankruptcy.

Ended up taking him to court and he had to sell off his wife's car to pay us the rest.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My mum got shunted by a small truck at a set of lights about 10 years ago.
The guy in the truck had no insurance, but "promised" to pay for the damage to our Mercedes.
We got quotes from smash repairer friends of ours and told him that would be $3000.
He gave us $1000 cash, promising the rest in the next 2 months.

Half way through the second month, he moved and changed his name.
We found him through a friend in the police force, and he filed for bankruptcy.

Ended up taking him to court and he had to sell off his wife's car to pay us the rest.
See what happens when you try to help out people with no insurance. I did it once with a XD I had & it cost me money in the end. It ends up with a lot of unnecessary hassels if you have full cover then use them its much easyier just a phone call with details & a claim no is given & the insurance drop point with a taxi voucher home they take care of everything. Plus the other uninsured driver has the problem of wanting to see a solicitor to fight it but if you do you background right you are not out of pocket
Old 28-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

as of next week, 80 percent of my pay packet until June will be going to insurance and rego etc. you simply CANNOT drive without insurance of anykind. its blatant stupidity.
Old 28-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
3rd party is only about $350 for just about any car. Should be compulsary IMHO.

Oh well there at least one positive buickman, you'll get a new front bar out of it.
Only about $350? I pay $750 a year third party for a 4cyl automatic 1991 Nissan Pintara. Not what you'd call a high performance car or anything like that.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Only about $350? I pay $750 a year third party for a 4cyl automatic 1991 Nissan Pintara. Not what you'd call a high performance car or anything like that.
Somthings wrong there I pay $702 for full cover on a AU ghia 6 cyl rating 1.

But I'am over 30 so it could be your age that their charging so much on as I was under the imprection 3rd party was under $400 for most drivers.
Old 28-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #11
HOON69
Banned

my wife has third party on our family ride
whats wrong with that ay?

anyways my 4wd is insured and for some 2 cars insured fully is abit costly and some cant afford it,not their fault sorta but hey dont get involved in acco's and ppl with third party only wont need to be chased by insurance companies like the one your with.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
my wife has third party on our family ride
whats wrong with that ay?

anyways my 4wd is insured and for some 2 cars insured fully is abit costly and some cant afford it,not their fault sorta but hey dont get involved in acco's and ppl with third party only wont need to be chased by insurance companies like the one your with.
Nothing wrong twith 3rd party I have my Buick with 3rd party. I don't drive it regulary but it gives me piece of mind in case I hit someone & its my fault. So I don't have a problem with insurance companies chasing me for big dollars.
Old 28-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
You're getting ripped blind! I had 3rd party on my EB when I first got it, accident to my name and was paying $450 odd.

Unless you've got fire and theft on it and live somewhere bad, that's shocking.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #14
Jet-Star

Quote:
Deffintly something wrong there mate, I'm going for my P's soon and even with my sound system,car lowered etc AAMI still quoted me $300 for 3rd party.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steffo I'm guessing that it is in your name and not your parents? Plus do you live in a high risk suburb? My TX5 is about $800 full insurance in my mum's name.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Steffo christs thats dear, I had my EL on 3rd party fire and theft for only $350 when i lived in QLD and $450 when i moved down here to Gosford (in my name).

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #17
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
See what happens when you try to help out people with no insurance. I did it once with a XD I had & it cost me money in the end. It ends up with a lot of unnecessary hassels if you have full cover then use them its much easyier just a phone call with details & a claim no is given & the insurance drop point with a taxi voucher home they take care of everything. Plus the other uninsured driver has the problem of wanting to see a solicitor to fight it but if you do you background right you are not out of pocket
I would never help out an uninsured driver. I would get my insurance co to fix my car and then rip the driver of the uninsured ca another ИИИИ hole......

#uck em, If there dumb enough to drive uninsured, Then they deserve what they get when they #uck up....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I think the only reason he did it that way was because the whole car needed to be resprayed as it was crazed and faded, and he wanted to do that himself, but have the guy pay for all the paint.

He couldn't be bothered with doing the panel work, and got that done professionally.

The car has never made it back onto the road. It's still sitting unpainted in our shed. One of Dad's many projects.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #19
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Well im 30 and with A.A.M.I. and it is $88 a year for 3rd party for my EA and $380 a year full comp for my EL
and $275 a year for my XD full comp
EVEN with my missers on my insurance AND she wrote of her VT while on her "P"s and still on her "P"s atm it is only a extra $300 excess if it is her fault
Old 28-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #20
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its certainly NOT illegal to have no insurance in the USA.

Why else can you hire a car with NO insurance!@! Crazy...
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #21
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
Deffintly something wrong there mate, I'm going for my P's soon and even with my sound system,car lowered etc AAMI still quoted me $300 for 3rd party.
Even if they quoted you that they'll never sign off on it. AAMI wont insure anyone under 25 with any mods at all. as soon as you move away form anything boring and standard they give you the heave ho. I got a quote on 1 of my cars, asked me everything about it, got down to the date of borth and said sorry, we're gonna have to leave it there. Won't touch me in an XR6 Ute cause it's a "high performance vehicle" apparently!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 12:51 AM   #22
chief
FTF Club Moderator

This sort of stuff happened to my old man and his new NCII Fairlane. Young bloke in a manual commadore stalled the car on a hill and rolled back into my dad. The Holden guy had a passanger and said that it was dad's fault. Just because you are in the right, does not neccessarily mean you are in the right.

I pay about $600 odd for my 3rd party.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not illegal to drive in the US without 3rd party property insurance, its illegal to drive without 3rd party personal insurance, just like here. (depending on the state, I think in some you can drive with none at all)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 03:42 AM   #24
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very very true; for the piece of mind (: what gets me mad is people who admit there wrong but later change their story, the lady who hit my mum (about 5-6k dmg) later changed her story so mum wrote a report to the insurance and got some witnesses.

and that lady ran a red and smacked into mums car! grr
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #25
The Monty
Just slidin'

I get to pay around $1800 a year full comp on the Monty. Would not be uninsured, and it should be made compulsory to have your car insured. Its compulsory to have third party up here in the sunny state (correct me if Im wrong). Also a quick O/T question, Im in Brissy, if I pay full comp, do I also have to pay third party with my rego?
Old 29-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #26
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Systems are changed that you can pay your insurance by the month so if you cant pay it up front you can pay it off i dont see how anyone could not atleast afford third party!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #27
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
#uck em, If there dumb enough to drive uninsured, Then they deserve what they get when they #uck up....
I agree 100%

For what you get insuruance is cheap. Both TFT (Third party Fire and Theft) and Full comp. Alot of companies have PBTM (Pay by the month) whick comes stragit out of your account, making insurence easy and cheap.

Look at it this way. Lets say you pay $3000 for full comp insurance and $850 in XS, you are better of when you cause $3850 damage or more. Most accidents cost over $5000 (Panel, paint, labour and towing) and if the car you hit is a business car, you insurer will pay loss earnings. So the $5000 now is $7000. Plus then the damage to your car (est) $5000, so this makes the claim $17150 (inc your towing). Not bad for only $3850??

Insurance is one of the cheapest things you can buy.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #28
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never learned the difference between them..

So is third party is someone hits you, your insured? But if you hit someone else, you've got to pay?

And full comp covers both (you hitting someone, someone hitting you)?

I've gotta start looking into this for when I get my P's. I think I might be looking at a fair amount of $$ to insure it.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #29
Steffo
LPG > You

Third party is if you hit someone the insurance pays for their car, and you've got to fix your own.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #30
WIngman

There is two types of third party, third party included with rego in the ACT or as one of the slips in NSW, is only for medical expenses for the other person, this is the compulsery type of third party.

Third party property is optional insurance for the car that you have an accident with if it is your fault. I think I only payed $150 for my xf wagon when I was 22 or so. I think people paying ofer $500 should call around for a better offer
WIngman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post