Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Default 7 second street cars vs door slammers..

hello.. how can a car such as trick and manswetto's capri do 1/4's in the 7 something without being blown and you have door slammers not much quicker with blowers..
im having a blonde moment but any discussion is welcome as i am on my L's with engine stuff..
why not put trick and manswetto's engine in a door slammer and add a supercharger for 4 second passes?
cheers..

motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you're talking about 7's, there's 10's of thousands of dollars between fractions of a second. i don't know the car you're talking about, but i'd say that has something to do with it and N/A vs blown.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
Eleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
hello.. how can a car such as trick and manswetto's capri do 1/4's in the 7 something without being blown and you have door slammers not much quicker with blowers..
im having a blonde moment but any discussion is welcome as i am on my L's with engine stuff..
why not put trick and manswetto's engine in a door slammer and add a supercharger for 4 second passes?
cheers..
Here's the Capri - 7.41 at 184mph in May 2008 at Western Sydney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiob2p0xng

And an in car vid when it was running 7.9's in late 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVj4y...eature=related

Same run from the passenger seat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjev7...eature=related

It doesn't really work like that. There are so many different engine configurations in the various drag-racing categories and the block, heads, induction, chassis set-up, etc etc is an artform in itself to piece together.
The T&M Capri big-block is around the 1100 horsepower mark from memory and that motor probably cost upward of $70,000 to bolt together plus endless development time. Running mid sevens at around 190mph.
Doorslammers and T/A run high and mid fives from 230 - 260 mph at 2500 - 3000 hp.
Top Fuel (T/F) run down to mid fours at 330 mph and to do this need 5000 hp with engines costing into the multi-hundreds of thousands $.
You have to put down a lot of power (torque) by the 60 foot mark to run those times and speeds and a Pro Street/ Pro Stock engine will never do that.
In those top 2 or 3 Group 1 categories it costs something like $100,000 in development to chase a tenth of a second improvement.

My AU2

Last edited by Eleanor; 05-04-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
cheers..
you answered your own question...you are just having a blonde moment. The difference between a consistent 7 second and 5 second pass is enormous :
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

And painfully obvious when you see them side by side...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

just to give you something else to think about - the fastest human being can run 400m in just under 44 sec. he has less than 1hp to do it(and hes alot quieter).
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Different classes of cars have to conform to different sets of rules which in some cases can appear to hinder some performance these cars are capable of

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

law of diminishing returns - make a slow car 1 second faster costs less than $1000 with nos. To make a 6sec car run 0.1 sec faster will cost $100,000
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

trick and manswetto's capri is one of the fastest "street cars"

the fastest Doorslammers dip into the high 5's now.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The law of diminishing returns.

Also traction probably plays a big part of it. Having a lot less power the T&M Capri can put its power down a lot easier than a doorslammer will with more than double or triple the power. A doorslammer would be a fair bit quicker again if it could put 100% of its power down the whole length of the track. With the multi stage clutches they use it may only be getting its full power down well after half track i'd imagine, but someone who understands it better may be able to explain it better than I can.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A top fuel dragster has 8000hp and does 4.4 second 1/4. to go 4.3 you need 9000hp
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by profi
A top fuel dragster has 8000hp and does 4.4 second 1/4. to go 4.3 you need 9000hp
Oh its that easy is it? Tire shake, track conditon and clutch setup doesn't come into it?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Oh its that easy is it? Tire shake, track conditon and clutch setup doesn't come into it?
Yes that also comes into it. I was just simply making it sound easy. How much power is needed to go a little faster
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

ok my xa is predicted to do high 11's in full street trim and furry dice..lol.. it is a good starting project ..(once again.. starting project)
to keep it street registered though i am not sure on the legality's..been checking rta pages. and thinking of speaking to rta pits crew maybe for info or advice..

anyone here with an extremely quick car give any info it is appreciated even if its something simple..
i am aware of the money factor..
to eventually end up in the 8's, do i need big blocks or are the clevo 351's (worked) enough??
it might sound like dumb **** q's to some but gotta learn somewhere right?
cheers.

Last edited by motorcycles4eva; 07-04-2009 at 10:14 PM.
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
old_mate
Smash the Boost

lots of cubes, strong driveline and chassis.

Or

lots of cubes (still) and boost. 8 second cars aren't fluffing about.

a bit OT

Does anyone know if some of the faster 10in tyred cars (i think there is even a class for untubbed cars that are pushing into the 9's and/or 8's) allowed chassis connectors? they'd have to or they wouldn't run straight..

Didn't nugget's old XA twist?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post