Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #31
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie
That is excellent customer service....
A couple of questions though..
- Do XCs really only have one bolt on each hinge (the hinges appear to have two holes)?
- Why didn't the safety catch work if the main catch was not engaged correctly?
there are 2 bolts on each hinge, in one of the pictures that was with one of them out of the hole as i was re adjusting them.
and to be honest
I dont have a clue
Old 16-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #32
WMD351
Size it up

Wow Redmans sound awesome. I've just got myself a GS hood with pins and have been very alarmed noticing the number of posts on the forum where people have had the hood fly up after forgetting to lock the pins. It seems to happen quite a bit.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #33
BFZF8

Glad it's all sorted. To be honest though, I've been thinking about ice cream the whole way through this thread.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
@ flapist if you're implying the wind did it, i drove 4 hours from brisbane back to the bay in worse conditions and everything was fine.
But yes, it could of been the whole fact of it being a coincidence
but i just got in contact with the guys son and calmly explained what happened and he told his dad (Mr Redman) and they're coming over to my house personally to asses the damage and take care of it :|
Suffice to say i was a little more then surprised when he said this
There you go.....being angry never works but being nice sometimes pays off.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

It sure does flappist, i was angry cause it had of everything else that has happened and with its the one thing i couldnt afford to have happened. So please excuse the way i ranted on before guys.

I told him he didnt have to repair the whole thing, only the parts where the hinges attach to the bonnet, i didnt want to be a major pain in the ***.

Oh and BFZF8, you are aware that FF members get 20% off at cold rock when im working ;D
Old 16-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #36
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There you go.....being angry never works but being nice sometimes pays off.
Exactly!

The OP is now getting somebody else to pay for a problem which is not caused by them and even after bagging the shop publicly.

I think the OP should be grateful of the customer service the exhaust shop is doing and change the thread title.

Glad the OP is happy at the end

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo

Oh and BFZF8, you are aware that FF members get 20% off at cold rock when im working ;D
So that will make it only 5 times the price of everywhere else

But I will take you up on that.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #38
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Exactly!

The OP is now getting somebody else to pay for a problem which is not caused by them and even after bagging the shop publicly.

I think the OP should be grateful of the customer service the exhaust shop is doing and change the thread title.

Glad the OP is happy at the end
I'd be going a bit further & getting the original post edited a little if you get my drift.
Falcons of all ages have a bit of a history of the bonnets flying up, and seeing as there's no definite proof of the cause, and given the positive outcome by the shop concerned, I don't think it would be too much to ask.

Glad to hear it's all worked out ok in the end, as your ute is coming along nicely!

Ed
Old 16-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #39
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've had older (hobby) cars for the last 35 years, still do. Most of the time I do the work myself, but when I have had others doing work, when picking up the car I check under the bonnet etc. to see what they have done, and make sure everything is to my satisfaction before I pay. Normally the workshop shows me anyway.

Then I close the bonnet. I can hear the familar sounds and bonnet position as the latch closes and then check its shut. If the sound isn't right, like the return spring not sounding or catch making a solid clunk, its not shut properly.

Basically from experience I dont trust anyone doing anything especially on my hobby cars, quite paranoid now I must admit, even when others like judges at concours open or shut the bonnet. I suggest the OP or anyone else interested in their older cars does the same.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #40
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Okay guys i've already admitted why i said what i said, so drop the whole blame thing.
we already came to the conclusion that they didnt check to make sure the bonnet was closed properly, and like i said i told him not to worry about the whole thing as he said he would get the whole thing fixxed, i said only to do the hinges because its not a show car and doesnt need to be pristine. Battle scars will remind me in the future to check everytime before i take off from a workshop :|

Btw i cant change the name of the thread :S
Would appreciate it if a mod deleted this thread, as i posted it after i got home and was raging and blaming anyone i could. Cheers
Old 16-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #41
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I think i may invest in some bonnet pins now :/

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #42
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

So where exactly is the safety catch in all this ??? I'd be making sure it is adjusted right too. If it is there is no way the bonnet can come up.

I'd be buying those guys a few beers coming to the party like that ;)
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
Bobman
Regulator

I had a BA with a latch problem and whilst driving along the Hume I noticed the bonnet slightly wobbling. Quickly pulled over and had to adjust the slack on the cable for it to latch properly.

I've heard of fatalities happening with a bonnet coming open in drive, but you're lucky that this business was so nice about it. It probably wasn't their fault at all.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #44
Mad Maxine

XCWillo, just today, I was fretting about the way my bonnet was shaking like buggery on the highway at 80k's, so I got off the M1 and got to where I was going on the northside of Brisbane via the main roads. I was quite worried my bonnet was going to fly up, smash the windscreen, or send me off the road from a heart attack!

The coupe has a thumping great scoop on it (not my choice, that's the way she came to me) and I've never really been happy with the way the bonnet sits. It seems to flex a lot, which I assume is because of the great big hole under the scoop that has reduced the integrity of the bonnet and allows it to flex.

With all the crosswinds today, it was worse than ever. It's never fitted correctly at the sides, and a real gap is apparent some days...

Is there something I can do to reduce this movement? I'm concerned that if I wind up the rubber bumpstoppers, it will just force the bonnet up a bit further, and has just been described in a previous post in this thread, cause it to not latch correctly, or at worst, increase the gap allowing wind to get under and flip up the bonnet on the highway.

Can anyone offer any thoughts? Eventually, I'll replace the bonnet, but not until I absolutely have to, as I'm not ready to commit to a total repaint yet (custom colour is hard to match).

Shazz

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #45
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cousin, whilst driving across the Sydney harbor bridge in an old Ford Laser had the bonnet fly up, couldn't stop so continued across the bridge looking underneath the bonnet. She got to the other side, took the cord out of her pants, tied the bonnet down and continued her trip to work :P

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
So where exactly is the safety catch in all this ??? I'd be making sure it is adjusted right too. If it is there is no way the bonnet can come up.
I think you'll find the 'safety catch' is the part you pull/push/lift from the outside of the car. Secondary bonnet catch would be another name.
Old 16-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #47
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine

Can anyone offer any thoughts? Eventually, I'll replace the bonnet, but not until I absolutely have to, as I'm not ready to commit to a total repaint yet (custom colour is hard to match).
Beautiful car.

Seeing its non-original, I'd put original type bonnet pins in at the front corners right now. Definitely, especially with that scoop.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #48
cjf
GT Hardcore

Your hinges are not adjusted correctly ( this is why the rear of the bonnet is slighty raised ) if you don't know how to adjust it yourself take it to a panel shop and have it done properly , usually takes less than 30 mins to do unless its caused by worn hinges then they need to be re-bushed.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #49
3vXT

Quote:

Wow, that looks awesome
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #50
fmc351
let it burn

Having no idea whats under the bonnet this is purely speculation, but it may be deliberately set that way for clearance.

And I agree, very nice coupe.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #51
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan
My cousin, whilst driving across the Sydney harbor bridge in an old Ford Laser had the bonnet fly up, couldn't stop so continued across the bridge looking underneath the bonnet. She got to the other side, took the cord out of her pants, tied the bonnet down and continued her trip to work :P

Was she driving in reverse? The 'old' lasers have bonnets that open from the windscreen towards the front of the car. I think they changed to the traditional way from KF? (admit these are still old to some!)

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #52
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGT
Was she driving in reverse? The 'old' lasers have bonnets that open from the windscreen towards the front of the car. I think they changed to the traditional way from KF? (admit these are still old to some!)
KC, from 1985-86 on the bonnet opens normally. 25 yrs for a car is pretty old in anyones language.
Old 17-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #53
Mad Maxine

Thanks, guys. The bonnet sits perfectly flush at the scuttle end, it's only in the middle of each side, about half way between the rear and front of the bonnet that it gapes. I will have a look at the bonnet hinges though, just in case something isn't right.

There's nothing massive hiding under the bonnet, just the air cleaner, which is quite large, but which doesn't protrude through the scoop hole, so the previous owner only seems to have fitted it for cosmetic reasons!

I'm not a fan of bonnet pins, though, but if it will give me peace of mind, I'll consider fitting them. Any one know where I might obtain some?

Again, thanks Coupe lovers, you've all been very helpful, and thanks for the nice words, too

Shazz

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 17-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #54
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks, guys. The bonnet sits perfectly flush at the scuttle end, it's only in the middle of each side, about half way between the rear and front of the bonnet that it gapes. I will have a look at the bonnet hinges though, just in case something isn't right.

There's nothing massive hiding under the bonnet, just the air cleaner, which is quite large, but which doesn't protrude through the scoop hole, so the previous owner only seems to have fitted it for cosmetic reasons!

I'm not a fan of bonnet pins, though, but if it will give me peace of mind, I'll consider fitting them. Any one know where I might obtain some?

Again, thanks Coupe lovers, you've all been very helpful, and thanks for the nice words, too

Shazz
These are the after market kit's http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FALCON-X...item5adc875304
I have a couple of factory GT/GS bonnets if you decide to go that way in the future....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #55
Mad Maxine

Thanks, DJR, I have a spare GS bonnet stashed that will fit the bill, but thank you for your very kind offer and thanks for the eBay link too.

Shazz

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 17-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #56
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think you'll find the 'safety catch' is the part you pull/push/lift from the outside of the car. Secondary bonnet catch would be another name.
I understand that , IF it was installed correctly there is NO way the bonnet can fly up ;)
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #57
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
I understand that , IF it was installed correctly there is NO way the bonnet can fly up ;)
The main problem i have had with the safety latches failing was due to a weak or broken return spring.....

I have half a dozen or so and i would not use any of them without replacing the springs first....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #58
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Having no idea whats under the bonnet this is purely speculation, but it may be deliberately set that way for clearance.

And I agree, very nice coupe.
There was a trend quite a few years ago where bonnets had a gap of 1/2- 1"(12-25mm) at the back. Supposedly to let hot air out.
Old 19-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #59
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
There was a trend quite a few years ago where bonnets had a gap of 1/2- 1"(12-25mm) at the back. Supposedly to let hot air out.
Clevos do trap a bit of heat under there. I was thinking there may be a high rise manifold or similar and/or the hole didnt quite clear the carb/airfilter along its travel from open to close.
Old 19-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #60
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so am i trendy.. nostalgic.. or just waiting for it to come back into fashion.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post