Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Default Getting rid of the car you built/love

Just wondering how many of you have done it? and how many of you cant bear the thought of letting go of the car you built with your own hands.

Thought came to my mind today when i was deciding whether i should buy a new car next year when im in the Air Force, such as a Toxic Green BF XR6 ute, and that my dream car to rebuild would be a XB Falcon Coupe, which i wanna start on as soon as possible!
But my current XC Falcon Ute, i dont think i would be able to sell it, as i would need to for room if i where to restore an XB.

I mean i havent rebuilt my XC from the ground up, but its my first car which i have made what it is today, and all the stuff i've been through to get it the way i want it, and with all the attention she gets from just driving around town it gives me a real sense of acheivement, and i cant bear the thought of someone else lapping up the pride for something i once made.
I really want to keep it forever so i can have this around when im old and can be proud of what would then be one of the last remaining XC utes out!

But then again i might have to sell it if i where to get a new car. ahhh the joy of old cars :(

Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
glavas

err air force. going in as a adg? better of trying out for sf 4rar i belive.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
2002au
Define definitive

i know what ya mean, ive only had my car just over 2 months and people at my high school are like "after this you should get a xr6t" but i dunno if i could bring myself to sell my au lol.
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
err air force. going in as a adg? better of trying out for sf 4rar i belive.
How the **** did you know :| haha
Yeah hopefully going in as an Adg cause ive been training for a while and was told i would have a good chance considering im only 18, they just have to get back to me after they check out if i can still do it, cause theyve introduced new rules about the requirments for joining em. :(
If not then i'll be a ground mechanic.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
buggo
[BU66OS]

How much are you execting to sell it for?
I don't have any idea how much they go for, but maybe $1500? For the sake of $1500, maybe 2 or 3 weeks pay, I'd keep it. And I'm sure it's worth more than that much to you.
Does it matter if your XR6 is bought a month later? As long as you have enough room to keep two cars and a garage to store your XC, I wouldn't think twice about selling it.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
How much are you execting to sell it for?
I don't have any idea how much they go for, but maybe $1500? For the sake of $1500, maybe 2 or 3 weeks pay, I'd keep it. And I'm sure it's worth more than that much to you.
Does it matter if your XR6 is bought a month later? As long as you have enough room to keep two cars and a garage to store your XC, I wouldn't think twice about selling it.
Good heavens 1500 would be giving her away
Baught her for 2000, spent about $4000 on making it Awesome
So probs 5000 considering the engine bay and the brand new interior. but the price is irrelevent.
Its the fact of it being replaced i think :\
And yeah i'll be looking at some sort of place to store the XC while i look for a house and have the XR6 to drive i spose.
Still intresting to see what people think.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
So probs 5000 considering the engine bay and the brand new interior. but the price is irrelevent.
Its the fact of it being replaced i think :\
And yeah i'll be looking at some sort of place to store the XC while i look for a house and have the XR6 to drive i spose.
Still intresting to see what people think.
Yeah I wouldn't sell it after putting that much effort into it. When your 50, would you miss an extra $3 a week or a mint XC?
This isn't just some **** 85' sigma or old rolla.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold a Genuine English CK 49 Twin Cam , a Bolwell Nagari and an XW GT to buy a house when I got married . God bless my lovely wife for thinking a roof over our heads was more important . I can get away with saying that as she never reads the forum . Regret every sale bitterly to this day .

DONT DO IT
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I’m in the same pickle at the moment...

Got my BA XR6 which is the first car I’ve had that I have made mine...gets looks around town, goes well...Spent a lot of money and time on it...

Over the past 12+ months it’s been on the road probably....1000km, gearbox problems which have cost me thousands, car was in a 5 car accident...Then me being unemployed for 3 months and having very little money ground things to a halt.

Everyone is gunning for me to sell it, and I can see where they are coming from...But, I don’t think I can get rid of her.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

DON'T DO IT!
I've still got my XD after almost 20 years (bought it at 16, first car)
You can own hundreds of cars in your lifetime, but you'll only ever have one first car.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Its always going to be a hard decision to let of of your pride and joy, at the moment my gf is pregnant and we are thinking of selling my EL XR8 to help fund the baby, but we shall see how we go before making any rash decisions
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

all i can say is don't do it... i made the mistake 2 times, & wont make it a 3rd time,
1st was a 68 xt which was family owned from new, had it as my daily up until 13 yrs ago, was a 3.1 auto which i swapped for a worked 3.6, handled like a dream was a bi^&h to stop on 4 wheel drums, clean outside, very clean inside, was i a 4 car bingle & written off, it was repairable, but i just did not have the cash to do it so i cut her loose. i still have the photos in a frame, the plates a model of her & plenty of regrets...baby wa son the way so i brought a ea fairmont instead.
2nd was again a family new xe fairmont, sold it 6 years ago, 160000 full ghia spec, got rid of her after a 8 week arguement with the better half after i looked at converting it to run on unleaded & do new paint. got rid of the xe fo my au 2 ghia 75th anniversary so not as painful.
i've already told the mrs the au stays, the ba xr6 i've got stays & to suprise a few the ea stays only because it was the car i brought our baby home in...
if you can keep it, keep it...
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate
get over it .
It's an unfortunate part of life to unload one thing, & HOPEFULLY bring into your life something better.

.................................................. .................................................. ..Some previous rides
Jag XJ6 (Windsor powered)
XP coupe (Windsor powered)
71 GT V6 Capri
tc cortina 3.3
& others

Last edited by Blem; 13-10-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #14
v gate

Bought a xagt 17yrs ago and many people told me i was a dick.
Still got it!. So who is the dick now?
Same people say do you know what that thing is worth?
The answer is its worth nothing because it aint for sale but is it worth your life if you try to steal it.
To many good times revolved around that car that has made it part of the family and you dont sell family. Even my mum would be ****ed if i sold it.
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
protd
TUFF FORDS

meh they just cars, you sell one you buy another who cares, i just sold my first car after owning it for 18years, never looked back moved on to better things, after all isnt that why you sell something anyway..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

If you can store it somewhere safely for a period of time - then hang on to it...

OR - alternatively...

Sell it - but have a deal/contract with the buyer that you have first offer to buy it back if or when they ever decide to sell it...
Its pretty straight forward...

If they decide in 5 years or so that they want to sell the car... they call you first... and tell you that its for sale - make an offer - or I want $xxxx.xx for it...

Then thats your chance (if you haven't gotten over selling the car) to get it back...
Or - after that time you've moved on... and can say thanks, but no thanks...

At least giving you an opportunity to get it back if you want it!??!

I've done that before... and its great...
(admittedly, I didn't buy the car back - but I did have the chance)...

Good luck with the decision - it will be a tough one!
Old 13-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
See, this is the problem... I spent tens of thousands on my ZH, but at the end of it, it was just a $2000 ZH, just like your ute will only ever be a $2000 ute. That's the heartbreaking part.

Still, they're only cars - you might miss them (I miss two I've sold terribly), but if you didn;t genuinely think you were upgrading, why would you be doing it?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

hey guys . i cant see anyone getting rid of a car they love , unless they go broke .
other than that , people sell cars because they have had enough of the current ride and want a newer one . if i had a violin here for every for sale thread who states it will be a teary day when they sell thier pride and joy , and love of life , i'd be an expert violin player . most people smile when they get a cheque and are happy the car is gone , so they can get the new one . not sad with a box of tissues .
but it's just my take .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to get all sentimental when i sold a car but after about the 50th one it just dosnt bother me at all anymore.having said that i still have alot of cars and some from many years ago,i usualy sell a car for a reason like to update to another car i think is a better thing but i have also sold some good stuff to do some work on my house as i dont like borrowing money.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

For the sake of $2k id hang onto it if you can, especially after the money you have spent on it

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many things are you going to hang on to?

If it's 'The Car' you wouldnt be thinking of building another, so move it on

Ive built quite a few from the ground up and moved them all on, only once I have regreted it, and thats more for the greif my wife is giving me for selling it than my own regret

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i still got my first Ford too bad its a rusted out piece of crap but i still got it....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

My XE would of rusted away by now if i had of kept.
Hell it was rusting away while i had it twenty years ago.
Old 13-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
MAV50L
Banned

I have built up and moved on numerous over the years.
Always feel a little bad and have regrets but you get over it.
The secret is to spend so much time and money on one that you are that far commited that you should be commited to a lunatic asylum.
Im at that point with my Maverick. I have put so much into it and its still a piece of **** in my opinion but its my onging work.
I joke that I will be buried in it (had it 4+years now longest I have actually owned a car) but in all honesty if the right offer come along well I would seriously consider selling her.
Seeing as though it has been financially written off twice , had a motor conversion and been generally hacked , chopped and molested I dont think anyone will actually make an offer that is right so all is good!
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
If you can store it somewhere safely for a period of time - then hang on to it...

OR - alternatively...

Sell it - but have a deal/contract with the buyer that you have first offer to buy it back if or when they ever decide to sell it...
Its pretty straight forward...

If they decide in 5 years or so that they want to sell the car... they call you first... and tell you that its for sale - make an offer - or I want $xxxx.xx for it...

Then thats your chance (if you haven't gotten over selling the car) to get it back...
Or - after that time you've moved on... and can say thanks, but no thanks...

At least giving you an opportunity to get it back if you want it!??!

I've done that before... and its great...
(admittedly, I didn't buy the car back - but I did have the chance)...

Good luck with the decision - it will be a tough one!
When I sold the AU had same deal... He sold it within 2 yrs and didnt bother to inform me.

He knew where I live and could've told my mate who repaired the car for him when it was in an accident.

My mates still spot the car here and there. After 5yrs I have moved on..
Will buy another AU and finish off what i started.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #26
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to get rid of my XR5 recently...

I'd owned it since new (~18 months) and loved every second of ownership. Unfortunately someone took me out when I was riding my motorbike last year which did a fair bit of damage to my clutch leg, thus making it difficult to drive manual.

It was an extremely hard decision to make since I'd had so much fun with that car and modded it to a point where I liked the way it looked and drove.

Unfortunately reality set in and I had to make the decision not to keep hurting myself and get an auto. I ended up buying an auto FG XR6T which I like equally as much as the XR5 - no it's not the same, but that doesn't stop me enjoying the thing...
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #27
falconfemme
Dani

I sold my first car, which was an XE which I loved and pretty much built. Lots of money and time spent making it the way I wanted. Wasn't too bad, because I had the replacement already that I looooved, my XD Interceptor. Now that rig is for sale, as I have a new car now, another project already sitting in the shed, and the cash would be handy. I will no doubt regret it later, but ehh..how many cars am I going to have ??!!
Old 16-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #28
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Sold a Genuine English CK 49 Twin Cam , a Bolwell Nagari and an XW GT to buy a house when I got married . God bless my lovely wife for thinking a roof over our heads was more important . I can get away with saying that as she never reads the forum . Regret every sale bitterly to this day .

DONT DO IT
+1

It breaks my heart when I read of guys selling their pride and joy because they need a “family car” or a bigger house.

I have spent my entire fekking adult life working my nuts off to (ultimately) pay for stuff for my family. So the missus has a $1M+ house, and the kids all get private education, and what do I get???
I don’t even get a bloody shed.
Bitter? You bet.

When the GFC hit, the company I was working for went tits up, and I was out of work for a while.
I sold my FPV GT Cobra so she could keep the house, and didn’t even get a word of thanks. Should have let the bank take the house, and sold her.

I’m not condoning irresponsible young CUBs who just blow all their money on toy after toy, but if you have one car that is your absolute pride and joy, then chances are you aren’t doing that anyway.

And why is it, that when a guy get’s married and he’s worked hard and saved to have a decent car, that he’s immediately expected to sacrifice that for a house deposit? How much is SHE contributing?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
+1

It breaks my heart when I read of guys selling their pride and joy because they need a “family car” or a bigger house.

I have spent my entire fekking adult life working my nuts off to (ultimately) pay for stuff for my family. So the missus has a $1M+ house, and the kids all get private education, and what do I get???
I don’t even get a bloody shed.
Bitter? You bet.

When the GFC hit, the company I was working for went tits up, and I was out of work for a while.
I sold my FPV GT Cobra so she could keep the house, and didn’t even get a word of thanks. Should have let the bank take the house, and sold her.

I’m not condoning irresponsible young CUBs who just blow all their money on toy after toy, but if you have one car that is your absolute pride and joy, then chances are you aren’t doing that anyway.

And why is it, that when a guy get’s married and he’s worked hard and saved to have a decent car, that he’s immediately expected to sacrifice that for a house deposit? How much is SHE contributing?
i've been through more women than cars... they dont make the grade i trade them in.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #30
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i've been through more women than cars... they dont make the grade i trade them in.....
Haha, yeah. Too right. More blokes should balls up and do the same!

</Joke>If women did'nt have a **** they'd be stacked 10 high at the tip.