Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default On the move... S/SE Brisbane opinions

Yes, I'm on the move again for the fifty-hundredth time in the last few years and we've selected an area we're quite happy with but after having spoken to agents in the area rentals come and go like hotcakes so we could select 5 places we like and they could be gone within hours.

So we've selected a backup area, which has us split 50/50, mainly with me being the one that is sceptical about it.

Any members who have/do live in the Moorooka area?

Old 15-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: On the move... S/SE Brisbane opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Yes, I'm on the move again for the fifty-hundredth time in the last few years and we've selected an area we're quite happy with but after having spoken to agents in the area rentals come and go like hotcakes so we could select 5 places we like and they could be gone within hours.

So we've selected a backup area, which has us split 50/50, mainly with me being the one that is sceptical about it.

used to years back but since then a lot of ethnics have taken a liking to the area , it is convenent for work around Rocklea and Fairfield , if you work close then why not
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I work in the city so I jump on the train each day.

Just moreso as how the area is.
Old 15-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I work in the city so I jump on the train each day.

Just moreso as how the area is.
Fairfield rail or Tennyson maybe I guess
Very old area , we used to live on the top of the hill down from the post office a couple of blocks which was good being a radio op . No idea what the costs are these days but it is close to the city , we moved to Tauntin St an Chardons Cnr which I liked more and the rail was down the end of the ST
Old 15-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
glavas

Im not being rasict but ever since a large african population has moved into Moorooka the prices of houses has dropped down. This is a fact!!!!Move to bulimba or cannon hill they are nice areas and hawthorne is nice too.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Every time I drive thru Rocklea-Moorooka nowdays, I swear I'm in a different country. Boy have those suburbs changed.........
Old 15-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Yeah, I went through there Saturday and I feel so uneasy in the area. My wife on the other hand can't seem to find a problem with it.

Might make her stay there a few nights and see what feedback comes out of it.
Old 15-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why don't you look at moving out abit from the city?

Comes down to how long you are willing to spend travelling?

Places out west like gailes wacol, etc are only a 20-25min train ride!
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I work a lot in the Moorooka area so I get to see the highs and lows. I guess it depends on your budget and what you need, ie kids etc.

Moorooka depends on where in the suburb you are looking, down near Ipswich rd is very ordinary and we attend a lot of violent assaults etc down there. Up near the border with Salisbury is quite good.

Personally, if it was within budget I would look more to the Forest Lake area, better area and with the rail line going in transport will not be an issue for too long. Runcorn, Coopers Plains, Yeeronga and Sunnybank Hills might also be a possibility.

Keep away from Acacia Ridge, Darra, Inala, Carole Park, parts of Gailes and Camira.
Old 15-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I probably (up until recently moved about as much as you do)!

Do you have a set budget? What's your first choice?

I've found through experience the Eastern suburbs of Brisbane are definitely the better ones - but it does depend on what you want out of the area.

Parts of Carina, Coorparoo, Greenslopes, Annerley, etc. are fairly decent, but you do pay for it...

I basically lived at Salisbury for around two years, I stayed away from Moorooka (for many of the reasons mentioned above). The pub at Moorooka was a fairly decent place, and then it seemed to just take a nose dive.

It really depends on how long you want your commute to work to be...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
nstg8a

im in tingalpa and i reckon its a good area, far enough away from the city to miss most of the nuts congestion, but still close enough to be an easy commute.

plus its right on the gateway motorway so easy to go north or south in the weekends.

i work in rocklea so travel through moorooka every day, i wouldnt live there period.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

In a different life I lived in Yeronga/Fairfield for a time and found it to be great for a commute but thats as close to Moorooka as I would go.

Personally I would stick to the south east and look at Tarragindi, Holland Park, Greenslopes, Stones Corner, Norman Park, Coorparoo, Carina, Hawthorne, Cannon Hill, Carindale type areas.

You don't want to be walking around or waiting around at train stations in the south west especially in winter when it gets darker earlier.

Just my two cents...
Old 16-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
old_mate
Smash the Boost

We were involved in the major refit of the Moorooka shops there recently, and everyone is right - i wouldn't live there. We used to lovingly refer to it as Sudooka.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

i lived in salisbury for 13yrs (next to kindy on lillian ave) from 1979 - 1992. when i go for a drive through my old stomping grounds, i would agree with everyone else. if you are sudanese, you will fit right in.

actually, salisbury still looks ok. have you considered that suburb?

my folks now live a fair bit further south in parkinson.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope Pitstop
Personally I would stick to the south east and look at Tarragindi, Holland Park, Greenslopes, Stones Corner, Norman Park, Coorparoo, Carina, Hawthorne, Cannon Hill, Carindale type areas.

You don't want to be walking around or waiting around at train stations in the south west especially in winter when it gets darker earlier.

Just my two cents...
+1 We recently moved from Tarragindi which was a great area, nice and green and all though older, there are some decent sized houses. It's close to everything, including public transport and just a 5 /10 minute drive to the city...

Like others have said, Yeronga / Fairfield / Yerongpilly is as close to Moorooka as you'd want to go, lots of not so savory charachters further southwest of there.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Interesting, just the feedback I'm after.

Wife is interested in Forest Lake/Doolandella area as well, we did want to move to Sherwood area but that seems to be way too much of a hotspot. I went to an open inspection yesterday and I counted 6 different parties excluding myself who wanted to rent the place. That also isn't counting the open they had on Friday as well.

I'm more open to the SE of Brisbane but again that contention between husband and wife comes into play.
Old 16-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wife is interested in Forest Lake/Doolandella area as well, we did want to move to Sherwood area but that seems to be way too much of a hotspot. I went to an open inspection yesterday and I counted 6 different parties excluding myself who wanted to rent the place. That also isn't counting the open they had on Friday as well.

I'm more open to the SE of Brisbane but again that contention between husband and wife comes into play.
Forest lakes might be considered Inala south . getting to work in mind your between a rock and a hard place as those new to Au without a car think the same way , Here in Browns Plains it's drive to runcorn and rail from there however eight mile plains Runcorn etc would be viable if you don't mind 1 short walk or drive .
Old 16-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Forest lakes might be considered Inala south

Get it right, it is not Inala South, it is Inala Heights.

I work at Durack QAS which services that entire area, Forest Lake is a bit of a mixed bag. Up near the border with Inala it is Inala Heights. Deeper in to the suburb it is much better and on the southern side it is really good.

Anyway, what is wrong with Inala, it is the land of hope?

Personally, with my experience I would take Inala over Moorooka.
Old 16-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

There may be another spanner in the works here, things for me are changing every day.

I'm going to be doing my best to convince SWMBO to go south eastside if the latest development happens.
Old 16-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #20
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: On the move... S/SE Brisbane opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

I work at Durack QAS which services that entire area, Forest Lake is a bit of a mixed bag. Up near the border with Inala it is Inala Heights. Deeper in to the suburb it is much better and on the southern side it is really good.

Anyway, what is wrong with Inala, it is the land of hope?

Touchy touchy tsktsktsk
Old 16-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

By the way, while I am being touchy, there is no I in the pronunciation of Inala, it is "Nala"
Old 16-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
By the way, while I am being touchy, there is no I in the pronunciation of Inala, it is "Nala"
That's right. about 10-12 mins away from Goona (silent D)
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
cham
Closet Hoon

Quote:

Rapid_Axe,

What suburb was the first one that you selected (where you thought you wouldn't get a rental due to demand)?

NOW: 2011 HSV R8 Clubsport with Walkinshaw Exhaust, Suspension and 20" Alloys.....
cham is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:

Six people isn't too bad to be honest - when I was looking around back in 2009, there were up to 30 and 40 people at inspections...an absolute nightmare if the truth be told. Usually you can get an application form online from most of them and pre-fill them before you go and look, if you're happy with the place - give the application to the RE on the way out...will make the process a lot smoother for you

Having said that, if they had an inspection on Friday, and one yesterday - those who applied Friday either didn't get it, or no one applied...they don't waste time having a second open house if it's already been rented...

If you do like Forest Lake, stay away from around Eyre crt (near the high school), when I lived there burglaries were rife...cars and houses...my housemates car got opened like a tin opener...The area backs onto a park, that's very poorly lit, and I wouldn't recommend it if you have kids...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
I have always thought it was Inala Waters?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Personally, if it was within budget I would look more to the Forest Lake area, ....

Keep away from Acacia Ridge, Darra, Inala, Carole Park, parts of Gailes and Camira.
I've got friends down at Forest Lake and I swear to god they just renamed Inala, it's shocking. There's always cops roaming the place whenever I go to visit and the things you see.... stopped me from moving southside.

I'd steer clear of the "Magic Mile", come to the north side instead!

Quote:
I'll raise you one geckoGT, lets go on a road trip to Logan
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I've got friends down at Forest Lake and I swear to god they just renamed Inala, it's shocking. There's always cops roaming the place whenever I go to visit and the things you see.... stopped me from moving southside.

I'd steer clear of the "Magic Mile", come to the north side instead!

I'll raise you one geckoGT, lets go on a road trip to Logan
I work in Logan areas frequently, they are no worse than than some of the areas I have already mentioned. Durack QAS virtually considers Woodridge as our sister station.

Forest lake really does matter what part, near Inala border or around Forest Lake high school is not good. Down near Grand Ave it is a different story. What area do you friends live in?

As for the north side, don't get me started. If I mentioned Aspley, would that give you a hint, what about Depression Bay?