Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
bucknbuzz

Unhappy 2010 tdci cuts out and stops

Hi all, 1st post here hope someone has some help.
Mrs has had a 2010 TDCI LV focus from new, never a problem until now. In the past 3 weeks the thing has just cut out and died while mobile. No prior warning, no shuddering, jerking or spluttering, no warning lights, its just cut out. Problem being, once the power goes, so does the steering so she has been fortunate enough both times to be in an area where there has been sufficient shoulder to pull over on (we live in a rural area so most times its highway or 'country road' driving. The only common factor is both times she has been slowing down to turn when its happened. Our main concern is if it happens while turning across the dual lane on the highway, she is in no way capable of getting clear or pushing it out of harms way. Once it cuts out, theres no lights on the panel, nothing, but she turns the key off and back on and it restarts and resumes as if nothing happened, like it looses all propulsion and electrical power fleetingly.
I have searched this forum, can't find this particular problem, but the UK forum indicates this is not uncommon in focus in the early 2000 mods but not to the extent where everything dies, more like a stall as opposed to this issue
Any ideas?
thanks
Buck.
bucknbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
GingerAle

Default Re: 2010 tdci cuts out and stops

Check your battery terminals. The lights going out on the dash as well would to me suggest battery terminals losing contact. ECU would cut off and fuel delivery to combustion chamber would stop.

If that's not an issue, then you may have bigger problems. Have you installed any aftermarket gadgets to your car?
GingerAle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
bucknbuzz

Thanks GingerAle,
no, not had anything fitted, same fit as when it came off the floor. Only flaw in your analysis, if it was the battery/terminal issue, would it still power up immediately after the incident happened?
Thanks all the same, I appreciate your reply and will go and check terminals now.
Buck.
Old 22-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
GingerAle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknbuzz View Post
Thanks GingerAle,
no, not had anything fitted, same fit as when it came off the floor. Only flaw in your analysis, if it was the battery/terminal issue, would it still power up immediately after the incident happened?
Thanks all the same, I appreciate your reply and will go and check terminals now.
Buck.
Theoretically, it should not power up immediately. at both instances however, the car was slowing down prior to taking the turn. Assuming it is 100km/h to about 25kmh to take the turn, one would have to press on the brakes pretty firmly hence the higher than usual deceleration may be rocking the battery or terminals ever so slightly.

The ignition in new cars are also pretty smart. once the power cuts off, you usually need to cycle the ignition switch for it to reset. its all linked in to the ECU for the security system and immobilisor and ECU diagnostic checks.
GingerAle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think GingerAle has it correct it sounds like a major electrical interuption rather than ECU or fuel related issues. have the battery terminals checked and the battery tested as they sometimes have internal fractures of the lead plates/connectors that cause intermittent loss and then led to permanent loss of power.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
bucknbuzz

checked battery terminals, all tight and secure, so looks like its not that
Old 27-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
country focus
Country Focus

Could be one of the sensors with an intermittent fault, air flow, fuel pressure as it is when you are slowing down. Just a thought and there are a few more as well in the engine system
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How is the earth point on the chassis? It should run right to the shock tower next to the battery.

Has it been cross threaded or is able to wiggle around if you try move it?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Bad01
Starter Motor

Checking that baťtery terminals are tight did not eliminate battery or terminals
Bad01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
s00ty
Starter Motor

Had something similar a few years ago with my Jeep. Turned out to be the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor was loose. Took it out, cleaned the pins and secured it back in place; no troubles since.
s00ty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any updates ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
bucknbuzz

well, terminals were tight, earthing point secure, but it hasn't happened for a month now, ford were no help advising me to take it to a ford service shop at my expen$e.
appreciating everyones input so far, thanks for the range of options to explore.
Old 26-07-2015, 01:43 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just a thought here , your car is about 5 years old, is it still on the original battery ?

its a long shot, but i have had on one of my cars where the carbon joiner in the battery that connects the plates together broke after hitting a nasty pothole, the car just stopped completely lost all power and was dead , i do not know if it is possible for the plate connecting bar/rod/doover/thingy me bob , ( we only use scientific terms here)to separate intermittently, but if the battery is old anyway it might be worth looking at ?
Old 26-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #14
bucknbuzz

no, good point to keep in mind though, but the things on it 2nd battery and only 12mth old
Old 26-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont we miss the old days when cars where simple ?
Ah well hopefully it was just a weird anomaly and wont raise its head again , good luck with it mate, let us know if you find something .
Old 26-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #16
bucknbuzz

yes, will do Mik and others, if it happens again and I find a cause, will certainly update this thread.