Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Jay_Rock

Default XR6 Turbo VS 2JZ-GTE

I'm In a dilemma.

I researched a bit on some forums about the Xr6 Turbo's stock Internals.

I'm hoping some of you are familiar with the fact that XR6 Turbo motors will need a few rebuilt components after 300rwkw?

Is this true?

Because I live In NZ and a good Xr6 turbo Is around $20000 NZD yet by the time you get to 300rwkw you'll have to be buying better parts for support.

Yet with the 2JZ-GTE the standard Internals can withstand over 800hp no sweat because of the factory forged pistons, conrods, cast iron block etc etc.

But then I was thinking the XR6 turbo already has a GT40 turbo on it and I know Its not a case of Just buying a BC and winding up the boost, you'd still have to buy supporting mods.

Then with the 2JZ you don't have to buy supporting mods but If you wanna make 300rwkw a Turbo kit would be the choice but you'd probably end up spending the same amount of money as buying parts to support the 300rwkws for the XR6 Turbo!

What to do?????

Jay_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

From what I heard and may need some correction as my source told me that the BF XR6 turbo,s that came out after 6/8/06 pretty much came with F6 engines as they were run out for the FG, these are much stronger internals than earlier BA turbos.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Rock

What to do?????

buy the car you actually like better? build quality will be better on the Toyota, boot space will be bigger in the taxi.
Old 14-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Any XR6T after 06/06 will support up to 350rwkw with a few mods, the engines will take this if you have the right tuner. My Typhoon is around that mark (350rwkw) and has been driven daily for over a year with this power and not showing any signs of slowing down.

The turbo is a GT3540.
Old 14-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
global88
HKS GTR

I own a R32 GTR and can tell you as the owner of a performance Jap car i prefer working on my XR6.

You dont have room to work in the engine bay with the Jap stuff and rely on buying second hand parts from people wreaking them in forums.

Compare insurance quotes between the 2, most insurance companies ask if its an import and just say sorry we dont deal with imports.

Id be going the XR6T knowing it has the same potential without the coppers breathing down your neck day and night.
global88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by global88
I own a R32 GTR and can tell you as the owner of a performance Jap car i prefer working on my XR6.

You dont have room to work in the engine bay with the Jap stuff and rely on buying second hand parts from people wreaking them in forums.

Compare insurance quotes between the 2, most insurance companies ask if its an import and just say sorry we dont deal with imports.

Id be going the XR6T knowing it has the same potential without the coppers breathing down your neck day and night.
My thoughts exactly.Smiley coming your way.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
MexicanBatman
Banned

go do some research and come back and tell us how much a relaible 2JZ with 800hp costs

there are other motors that can withstand big hp, but in terms of a reliable streetable package for $0 they arent

im not comparing motors here or anything, but do some more research into it, but for example a FG F6 can easily push out 350rwkw no sweat, start and run 1st time everytime drive to the moon an d back or just the shops and do a million km whilst still returning good economy and easily carrying 5 persons and towing the boat etc...

i'd stick with the fraud, but then im starting to get old, and 2 door useless cars dont do it for me anymore
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by global88

I think you will find that given the OP is in NZ the xr6 turbo is also an import and therefore insurance concerns regarding imports are not really an issue.

Go a bf2 xr6 turbo and you won't be disappointed.
Old 14-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
2 door useless cars dont do it for me anymore
aristos are 4 door and can come with 2jz-gte
Old 14-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
I think you will find that given the OP is in NZ the xr6 turbo is also an import and therefore insurance concerns regarding imports are not really an issue.

Go a bf2 xr6 turbo and you won't be disappointed.
All car's in New Zealand are Imports.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I'm In a dilemma.

I researched a bit on some forums about the Xr6 Turbo's stock Internals.

I'm hoping some of you are familiar with the fact that XR6 Turbo motors will need a few rebuilt components after 300rwkw?

Is this true?

Because I live In NZ and a good Xr6 turbo Is around $20000 NZD yet by the time you get to 300rwkw you'll have to be buying better parts for support.

Yet with the 2JZ-GTE the standard Internals can withstand over 800hp no sweat because of the factory forged pistons, conrods, cast iron block etc etc.

But then I was thinking the XR6 turbo already has a GT40 turbo on it and I know Its not a case of Just buying a BC and winding up the boost, you'd still have to buy supporting mods.

Then with the 2JZ you don't have to buy supporting mods but If you wanna make 300rwkw a Turbo kit would be the choice but you'd probably end up spending the same amount of money as buying parts to support the 300rwkws for the XR6 Turbo!

What to do?????
Your problem starts with getting a reliable 800 hp engine
and ends with how you intend to get that power to the road...

Be prepared to double or triple your investment to get there
otherwise be prepared set a more conservative limit,
350rwk seems to please most XR6T followers..
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
aristos are 4 door and can come with 2jz-gte
aristo's look like anus

aside from that they also look very similar to the Avalon LOL

toyota fail @ 4drs the celsior can look reasonable but it's the 2dr models that steal the show

i have a soarer and its a timeless design that will look as good as it does now in another 20 years and imho better looking than the supra.... more of a modern yet 20 yo take on the e type
Old 14-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
Jay_Rock

Well here's the thing, there seems to be a few different preferences here. Insurance, engine space etc etc.. My preference here Is the convenience. Like I said Im either paying for a car that doesn't need supporting mods up to 800hp and can buy Just turbo kits and all the other crap or I could buy a car which would need the supporting mods which would probably end up costing me the same amount for a 2JZ to get up to 300rwkw.. A reliable motor with 800hp, IS a 2JZ no doubt I've seen It all. Hmmm.. I think I might go with the 2JZ on this one lads. I know most of you are Ford hailers lol but In terms of convenience Just slapping on a Turbo Kit to a 2JZ Is more easier than trying to buy and find supporting mods for a XR6 turbo. Let alone The Toyota Supras gearbox can stand up to 1000hp.
Jay_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Sure, just go bolt on a couple of hair dryers and way you go, it's that easy....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
MexicanBatman
Banned

Lol..
Old 14-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well here's the thing, there seems to be a few different preferences here. Insurance, engine space etc etc.. My preference here Is the convenience. Like I said Im either paying for a car that doesn't need supporting mods up to 800hp and can buy Just turbo kits and all the other crap or I could buy a car which would need the supporting mods which would probably end up costing me the same amount for a 2JZ to get up to 300rwkw.. A reliable motor with 800hp, IS a 2JZ no doubt I've seen It all. Hmmm.. I think I might go with the 2JZ on this one lads. I know most of you are Ford hailers lol but In terms of convenience Just slapping on a Turbo Kit to a 2JZ Is more easier than trying to buy and find supporting mods for a XR6 turbo. Let alone The Toyota Supras gearbox can stand up to 1000hp.
Where are you getting your info from?
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
aristo's look like anus

aside from that they also look very similar to the Avalon LOL

toyota fail @ 4drs the celsior can look reasonable but it's the 2dr models that steal the show

i have a soarer and its a timeless design that will look as good as it does now in another 20 years and imho better looking than the supra.... more of a modern yet 20 yo take on the e type
Most people that own Soarers think your way to,dont let it get you down.

I have an Aristo and its a timeless design...........please......

If the Aristos are crap look wise then why does mine pull 10Xs more audiences than the XR6T I have and from ages 18-60+.

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 14-05-2010 at 07:18 PM.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Where are you getting your info from?
his hektik mates at maccas

c'mon everyone knows you can get a 2jz and turn up the wick and have 1000hp for no cost and it will be streetable and reliable

LOL

probably cost the same to get 800hp from a barra as a 2JZ
Old 14-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I dont get it? Plug a flasher box into the XR6T and away you go, more than enough power. Looks stock outside and under the bonnet. No cop trouble.

HAHAHAHAHA@ Aristo "pulling 10x audience"

Why does it matter!?
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
Davebro

I don't think you get 'reliable' at 800hp..... In anything!

And end of the day, why would you want 800hp unless its a dedicated drag car, or track weapon?

Its completely pointless on the street.

What are you going to use it for?
Old 14-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #21
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore

If the Aristos are crap look wise then why does mine pull 10Xs more audiences

cos no ones seen a camry with 4 exhaust pipes and deep dished wheels

yours looks alright

but modified is modified, you can make anything look better with some lowering and dish.... still ugly imho, not as ugly though as an american sedan though
Old 14-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
2JZ general concensus from what i've read - bloke at work has one too - seems to be that the dyno queens can make 800hp on stock internals. 500-600 reliably on stock internals. Allowing for a 25% drivetrain loss, your looking at 600hp/450hp or 450rwkw/338rwkw.

There are plenty of E series Falcons with AU SOHC motors with over 300rwkw with stock bottom ends. Even more BA-BF XR6T with that power output with stock bottom ends.

Making reliable power with the XR6T seems to be alot easier and cheaper than Skylines/Supras. Certainly appears that from my mates experience.

Go the Ford of course!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
[CaSeY]
Starter Motor

you ask this on a ford forum and you sound like we should be saying 2jz because you already think that is better, well hello 80% of the ppl here will think the barra is better...
[CaSeY] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
kennys

An unopened 2jz is gonna go boom pretty quickly if pushed to 800hp, 500hp seems to be the limit when it comes to reliability, even then, turbos/wastegate/cooler/injectors/fuel pump/gearbox work if auto/clutch if manual/ecu all need to be upgraded.

I'd be going the lexus/toyota quad cam 4litre V8 if I ever veered from ford, 6 bolt mains, alloy block?, alloy heads, forged internals, all factory. Put some boost into it and the speed limit be overcome very quickly. Plus they are cheap compared to the 2jz.

Power is not something that comes cheap, all the bolts on that are required add up very quickly. Either car is gonna cost you dollars, I'd say the ford would come out on top for cost and reliabilty if big numbers were wanted. Doesn't need to be revved as hard to make the power which is a big factor in reliabilty.
kennys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
SuspectEB

I will say jap turbos feel faster and more powerfull. Probely cause I've never been in a manual XR6T or an auto turbo jap car. But BA's are waaaaay to heavy for there own good. what are they, like 1800kgs?? if not more?
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
justlikemusic

The Toyotas are built better. Less stuff breaks and there are 2J parts everywhere nowdays, which makes them a good option. Ford vehicle (I mean non-engine) parts are everywhere and cheap and generally interchangable (why I bought my EB).

The BA are alot heavier and I am with SuspectEB on this one, driven a BA and BF XR6T both with basic FMIC/boost/exhaust upgrades and both auto and they have been decent. I have driven a R32 GTR, 1JZ Supra - older model, manual with mods - he run 13.something low in it, 2JZ Supra - stock manual w/ catback and they have all felt alot more alive and better to have fun in. The Falcon is a boat, like it or not =P

Don't get me wrong, I own one... it's the best car in the world for my location and my goals with what I want to do with it. Japanese cars are just built to rev imo and better around a track.
justlikemusic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
SuspectEB

on the slow "Feeling" BA subject. my mate has a 246rwkw BA MK1 XR6T auto and it feels sooo epicly slow compared to my non turbo EB 5 speed. go figue? and I went for a ride in a 240rwkw EL SOHC turbo 5 speed once and that thing was insane. made BA's look pathetic. Im not to sure but Im guessing its the auto and the weight that make them feel slow.
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #28
justlikemusic

That's exactly why I bought the EB, parts everywhere and full worked with custom paint, M112 blower and retrimmed entire leather interior.... who cares about a $20,000 stock XR6t to mod? =)
(I'm halfway through the paintjob now and nearly enough engine work is done to start with the blower after the paint... it's fun to be 'in between jobs')
Old 14-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #29
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectEB
on the slow "Feeling" BA subject. my mate has a 246rwkw BA MK1 XR6T auto and it feels sooo epicly slow compared to my non turbo EB 5 speed. go figue? and I went for a ride in a 240rwkw EL SOHC turbo 5 speed once and that thing was insane. made BA's look pathetic. Im not to sure but Im guessing its the auto and the weight that make them feel slow.
yes feel is a funny thing, mate at work has a R33 fmic boosted etc... 5spd... feels like an animal deathtrap from the passengers seat, pretty quick... and looks the opposite from my rearview mirror in my G6E which by comparison feels as slow as the 5:15 train to epping
Old 14-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #30
justlikemusic

I been passenger in my mates VY Clubsport 285kW and I think because the weight it doesn't really feel that fast. Also I think the gear ratios in them are really high because he changes gears so much... However another mate has a VX Calais and you can tell the 220kW LS1 boots along nicely. He has extractors and full exhaust with intake and tune and it really chops. I reckon the VY's extra weight makes it so much more different.

I driven a R33 GTS't with FMIC/exhaust/10psi boost and it feels fast because your having so much fun listening to the rice machine and BOV and get caught up with the racing feel. I reckon I would have killed that car within a few months though. Same with a 300ZX, engine bay is a mess and felt doughy until boost come on.