Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Aurion Sales Struggling

Aurion hit for six

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576860024B534

Quote:
Toyota’s ‘big six’ Aurion drags its heels, despite recent makeover

8 December 2009

By JAMES STANFORD

IT IS no secret that the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore are suffering in the marketplace, but another big Aussie six has been hit harder this year.

Sales of the Toyota Aurion are down 29.3 per cent year-to-date, according to VFACTS figures collated at the end of November. By comparison, the Commodore is down 12.3 per cent and the Falcon is down just 3.7 per cent.

A mild update in September that brought minor styling changes and a five-star crash-test rating – accompanied by a fresh marketing push – gave the Aurion a sales boost in October, but the Altona-made sedan is still struggling.

At the end of November, Toyota had sold 12,604 Aurions for a monthly average of 1146. If November and December run at the same rate, the final Aurion tally will come in at around 13,750, fewer than the number of Camry V6s Toyota shifted in 2004.

The Camry V6 result was achieved despite competition from the V6 Avalon, of which Toyota sold 5584 in the same year.

The 2009 number will also be, by a long way, the worst 12-month result in the Aurion’s short life.

Launched in October 2006, the Aurion managed a healthy 22,036 in 2007 and 19,562 last year, when the economic crisis started to hurt the big sedan.

The Aurion is Toyota’s second attempt at the six-cylinder sedan market in Australia after the failed Avalon, sold here from 2000 to the end of 2005.

The Avalon’s best year was 2001, when it sold 11,760, but not even Toyota’s big-spending marketing department could save the outdated car and it died a slow death.

Back then, the Avalon had to compete with the Camry V6, a model that appealed to much the same buyer. Toyota Australia came to the conclusion that no V6 large car would be able to succeed selling against the Camry V6.

The answer was to kill off the Avalon and the V6 Camry and replace them with a reskinned version of the V6 Camry called the Aurion.

So, how does the Aurion compare to the combined sales of the Avalon and Camry V6?

Combined V6 Camry and Avalon sales stood at 20,989 in 2001, 20,197 in 2002, 19,004 in 2003 and 19,654 in 2004 before sales dipped in 2005 with 14,995 as the Avalon rolled slowly towards the chopping block.

The Aurion bettered both cars in its first year, did a similar number in its second and has now dropped well behind in 2009.

Some of the factors that are hurting the Falcon and Commodore, including fleets opting for four-cylinder engines and private buyers changing their preferences, are affecting the Aurion.

Toyota Australia spokesman Mike Breen says the Aurion is doing as well as the company expected.

“We are on track to meet our 2009 sales plan for Aurion,” he said.

Mr Breen added that Toyota was not prepared to discount to maintain Aurion sales.

"The facelift vehicle, launched in September, has improved specification levels on what is already a quality value for money package,” he said.

“We will continue to offer the best value packages possible across our Aurion range without distressing the vehicles price or devaluing the Aurion brand.”

The Aurion has every chance to bounce back as the economy strengthens, but the recovery could be made more difficult by another rival in its own camp, the Camry Hybrid, which will go on sale in February, presumably backed by a large marketing campaign.

Toyota has already issued a press release promoting the savings customers will enjoy by purchasing the Camry Hybrid instead of a ‘big Aussie six,’ a designation that includes the Aurion.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are the Camry and Aurion basically the same car, just with a different engine?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

Yes they are.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Yes.

Tom Gorman used to call the Aurion the V6 Camry in his press conferences, and Marin Burela has continued the tradition.

I think the biggest problem for Aurion is the lack of repeat purchases. Many of the people who had them as a lease the first time around, should have well and truly purchased their next car by now. My guess is, the novelty of being 'Your own Man' had worn off, and being a 'Traditionalist' is more appealing. I know a couple of people who have not bought another Aurion. One is in a Calais-V, and another got a Passat.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
yes. The 'aurion' is/was the 'asian camry' which is a 4/6 pot car (though our versoin is only 6 pot obviously). The australian 'camry' is the US/Rest of world camry (once again 4/6 pot) but only sold here as a 4. Pretty basic set up to try to fool the public. Though aurion does have some locally specific styling stuff (or used to before the update?)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason these things have stopped selling is because of;
a) a lack of an update for years (the October "update" is NOT an update)
and
b) a hero model

Otherwise they are a bloody fantastic car and deserve their fair share of market share.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

A hero model? the TRD Aurion was the hero model, and it failed miserably.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think there`s still a lot of rear wheel drive tradionalist out there in the big sedan market, no matter how many killerwasps the Aurion has, it will be interesting to see if Commodore goes through with the front wheel drive thing......Aurion mk2 anyone?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

It is sad to see all of the three aussie sixes struggling in sales, it is largely a sign of the times. Whilst ford will always have the proper fleet market, and holden will have the hearts of those misguided souls who somehow believe holden is australian, toyota has the financially conservative buyers. This can be a blessing and a curse, and through a period of almost nil inflation, toyota loses.

Which is a real pity as the Aurion is a damn fine car. Drive one and see for yourself.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Which is a real pity as the Aurion is a damn fine car. Drive one and see for yourself.
I did, and would rather have a TL Magna.

I didn't like the transmission, engine or the ESP.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

THe Aurion - had one as a hire car and hated it. Powerful motor, too much in front wheels for me. Inside it is a BORE...how anyone could live with it day in day out is beyond me..a sea of plastic and rubbish switch gear...for the first time in many years, i had to pull out the manual to work the radio....ive driven stacks of different hire cars and never had that issue...gawd it was boring...
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The Aurion was good attempt by Toyota to challenge Ford and Holden, however the execution of it was poor. The car had power but the handling was sub par, the interior was dated and boring and the exterior well, it was dated upon release.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it when people say it's sad to see the big aussie cars struggling but how many people have an FG or a VE? I have two falcons and and proud to buy aussie why doesn't every1 else do the same its not hard to see that if you buy australian that they wont struggle like they are now
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This article & topic ****es my off... When the media put the boot into the local Ford plant every kicks a fuss... The same has been done to Toyota & we are adding to the kicking? If the media put such negative spin on things then the plant will close & Australian jobs will be lost. The media should be trying to talk up local cars, not put then down every chance they get. Must have been a slow day as they have picked on Toyota for no reason.. There are lots of imported cars not doing so well they could have picked on!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To many bloody import's allowed in cheaply Reduction of tariff's are a real threat to the our car industry and aussie job's!
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Otherwise they are a bloody fantastic car and deserve their fair share of market share.
Really? Sure they have some go but they just seem to do the job. Have you driven one? Did it make you want to buy one or did it make you want to recommend it to your elders? It doesn't help that there are 2 much more appealing alternatives and it's still a Camry...

I can't see many people missing it when (should I say if?) it goes.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
To many bloody import's allowed in cheaply Reduction of tariff's are a real threat to the our car industry and aussie job's!
Is it really the tariffs causing the issue or the change in consumer tastes and the lack of adjustment by the locals?
The "smaller" cars these days aren't as small as they used to be and are enough for most people. I "downsized" from a Falcon to a Focus and have never looked back, I have no need for a Falcon sized car.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

As much as I would never buy an Aurion.. it is true that buying one does more for aussie manufacturuing that buying a focus or or fez.

The Aurion won the recent 'best cars' comp.. not that those competitions mean too much to me, just that it was the only aussie content car to do so.. and when the import tarrifs fall next year then the local car industry will really be challenged.

I am doing my part!!
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Whilst ford will always have the proper fleet market, and holden will have the hearts of those misguided souls who somehow believe holden is australian
I think you'll find Ford is doing a lot more private sales then Holden is.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #20
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Really? Sure they have some go but they just seem to do the job. Have you driven one? Did it make you want to buy one or did it make you want to recommend it to your elders? It doesn't help that there are 2 much more appealing alternatives and it's still a Camry...

I can't see many people missing it when (should I say if?) it goes.
Fully agree ST. Fact is that while i'd like to see aussie car manufacturing as vibrant as possible (even if Toyota isn't really doing any design work here...) the fact is the aurion isn't really all that good. Ok it had a very good engine (and still does) that is efficient and has good performance, and had some 'firsts' like standard 6sp auto etc. but its very average in most other areas. It didn't set new standards in ride, handling, safety or amenity. Its best points were that it was good value with plenty of kit, and looked a bit better than its toyota brother.

Once VE and FG came along it just put the aurion in an even more negative light. I'd sooner have a mitsu 380 then an aurion....the only real advantage of the toyota was that it has ESP but since it was useless and makes it handle worse i wouldnt' be too worried....

The TRD version was further evidence that no matter what the local arm did RE look, engine or handling the thing is basically a camry and the whole ownership experience is just that. With fleets going for the the 4pot camry and private buyers (not just 'RWD traditionalists' neither) realising the clear superiority of the Falcon/Commodore no wonder it doesn't sell well. Large car sales are down but the aurion is suffering more because it isn't very good. Period. That isn't the market's fault now is it?

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #21
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Whilst ford will always have the proper fleet market, and holden will have the hearts of those misguided souls who somehow believe holden is australian
It's all about media that keep telling that Holdens are Aussie cars. They are not. I wasn't into cars till I bought my XR6 and didn't know much about cars either.Back in 2001, I worked about 3 months in Holden Engine Plant in Port Melbourne. I actually learned that Holden is actually not an Aussie car which the parts coming from overseas and put together in here.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #22
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Ford should be pushing the 'buy aussie' angle more than they are.

If the commodore v6 is cast overseas.. and the v8 is fully imported.. not sure of where the v6 in the aurion is built?.. most likely o/s.. then Ford should be letting everyone know that the falc 6 has the highest aussie content around at the moment, not to mention fairly good value for money as well.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #23
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Fully agree ST. Fact is that while i'd like to see aussie car manufacturing as vibrant as possible (even if Toyota isn't really doing any design work here...) the fact is the aurion isn't really all that good. Ok it had a very good engine (and still does) that is efficient and has good performance, and had some 'firsts' like standard 6sp auto etc. but its very average in most other areas. It didn't set new standards in ride, handling, safety or amenity. Its best points were that it was good value with plenty of kit, and looked a bit better than its toyota brother.

Once VE and FG came along it just put the aurion in an even more negative light. I'd sooner have a mitsu 380 then an aurion....the only real advantage of the toyota was that it has ESP but since it was useless and makes it handle worse i wouldnt' be too worried....

The TRD version was further evidence that no matter what the local arm did RE look, engine or handling the thing is basically a camry and the whole ownership experience is just that. With fleets going for the the 4pot camry and private buyers (not just 'RWD traditionalists' neither) realising the clear superiority of the Falcon/Commodore no wonder it doesn't sell well. Large car sales are down but the aurion is suffering more because it isn't very good. Period. That isn't the market's fault now is it?
Exactly right, the Aurion is a fine car but it is just that; it does what it should and nothing more. It does everything sufficiently and it looks 'fine' but it doesn't do a whole lot to really distinguish itself from the Toyota stereotype. It's not exciting, nobody says "THAT is that car I want" and it can't escape the Camry label. As you said with the TRD Aurion, it will never escape the image and demographic that surrounds it.

I certainly don't want Australian car manufacturing to suffer, but i'm sure if and when the Aurion stops being produced Toyota will find an alternative platform to produce here, after all they do dominate the Australian market.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #24
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
I believe Holden do more fleet sales. Of late, private sales have leaned towards Falcon.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #25
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
The TRD version was further evidence that no matter what the local arm did RE look, engine or handling the thing is basically a camry and the whole ownership experience is just that.
I dont entirely agree with you there regarding the TRD Aurion. It failed simply because it was priced too high compared to the XR6 turbo, XR8 and SS. Weren't they asking $55k for them?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They really are a "decent" car. I have driven plenty through work and would certainly take an Aurion over a VE but the FG is much better than both.

The Aurion has plenty of grunt and combined with Toyota reliability and running costs it can make a decent business case. Personally I don't like the plasticy interior or the FWD torque steer - as such I would never buy one and would much rather an FG (I'd still take my BF2 over an Aurion but I think that has more to do with the dirty big turbo hanging off one side), but certainly against naturally aspirated 6 cyl rivals it is quick.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #27
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually having read the thread most people agree - fantastic engine, OK styling, but interior and mainly handling are the big let downs (driving an Aurion in the wet was ridiculous).

I really think RWD is here to stay given our tastes.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #28
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

I know a couple of people who have not bought another Aurion. One is in a Calais-V, and another got a Passat.
I have seen the same thing happen in our fleet. When the Aurion came out, quite a few “user choosers” in our fleet went for them. They were impressed by the amount of equipment they could buy for the lease price. As far as I am aware, none of Aurion buyers have replaced like with like and have since moved on to other brands. I gather the Aurion’s driving dynamics was one of the main reasons for the move away.

Interestingly, after being the only one in the fleet with a FG Falcon for a long time, there is a number of new FG (all G6E) starting to appear in the car park.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #29
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You have got to be kidding. (See my other post about my experiences with a rental Aurion. After driving one for two weeks, it is nice to be back in a car that does not do a lane change when one accelerates.)

An example of a FWD damn fine car is a Mazda 6.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
Ford should be pushing the 'buy aussie' angle more than they are.
I agree 100%. I'm currently waiting for my Falcon to be built (about 5 weeks). When I tell people I have to wait 5 weeks for it to be built, the number of people who then ask "where is it built" has been unbelievable. And this from people who where born & lived their whole life here in Australia. It really has been an eye opener for me. Maybe more people might consider the Falcon if their knew it was Australian designed & built
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post