Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Small turbocharged engines fuel economy

Interesting article by Consumer Report - maybe small turbo charged engines are not all that better than bigger NA engines ?

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...my-claims.html

SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Small turbocharged engines fuel economy

not sure on real world consumption figures but as far as performance is concerned I have driven an ecoboost Falcon. the performance from this 2 litre is spectacular, acceleration on par with the 6 with little or no noticeable lag and far more nimble on the road due to the weight reduction.
When I first heard of the ecoboost 4 cyl I thought it would be a disaster ( think back to the 4 cyl dunnydore) but from the drivers seat it is anything but.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah about as credible as the twitterverse!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Interesting article by Consumer Report - maybe small turbo charged engines are not all that better than bigger NA engines ?

Show me a small turbocharged engine that can produce 300+ kW and average 9.5 l/100km like a Coyote can
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot comes down to gearing & power required to move kg's .

Yes the smaller engine will use less fuel cruising and light throttle applications , as well as less fuel used when idling .

However , with the turbo engines providing as much hp as their larger na counterpart , the fuel used will be similar . As it takes X amount of fuel to create X amount of power .

Look when Top Gear did the Prius vs M3 comparo on the track . The M3 used less fuel to do the same job ( driving flat out ) than the Prius ....

It comes down to your driving style IMO . Smaller engines give you a more economical range and ability .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Show me a small turbocharged engine that can produce 300+ kW and average 9.5 l/100km like a Coyote can
Well an F6 can do that with a litre less and for around 8.5l/100km, while producing a lot more mid-range torque to boot :-)
4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Car Manufacturers seem to be designing engines to get good numbers in official fuel consumption tests, and small turbo engines can give some stunning results. A big part of the consumption test involves stationary idleing and highway speed simulation, so in this case a small ( lets say 1.4T) engine in a Golf sized vehicle is going to naturally consume less fuel at idle than a larger 2.0 or 2.5.

The customer benifits in real world economy are not as spectacular, but the added turbo rich torque (much like a diesel without the clatter) and not having to work the engine as hard.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
I can show many many small turbocharged engines that can average 4.5l/100km and go just as fast legally on any road in Australia as a coyote can.

Now you show me a coyote that gets 9.5l/100km WHEN it is demonstrating more than 300kw.

And just in case your lack of understanding of engines is even greater than I suspect, an engine only ever produces enough power to enable it to do the current job.

In simple terms if there were 5 falcons, one with each of the EB4, I6, ecolpi, T6 and SCV8 which were all ballasted to the same weight with the same wheels and tyres doing 100km/h on the same road the power produced by each would be almost identical with the only differences being due to drive train friction.

But if you really do want a small turbo engine that can demonstrate more than 300kw there are lots of them with BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru and many other badges..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

If you care about fuel economy, you're not enjoying your car enough.....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
pursuit2359

Thanks, SumoDog68. I think the issue here is that certain manufacturer's are offering turbocharged engines and claiming that they're more efficient than slightly larger naturally aspirated engines when they may not be.

The problem with the mpg figures quoted, however, are that lots of other variables are then thrown into the equation like gear ratios and different weights.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

How about the triple-turbo 3.0-litre BMW Diesel that in a large 5-series sedan makes 375hp and 740Nm of torque, returns AVERAGE 6.3 litres per 100km and propels it to 100km/h in 4.7 seconds,...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit2359 View Post
Thanks, SumoDog68. I think the issue here is that certain manufacturer's are offering turbocharged engines and claiming that they're more efficient than slightly larger naturally aspirated engines when they may not be.
If you look into it, you'll find that they are more fuel efficient.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A turbocharger give you 3.5L power with 2.0L idle-cruise fuel consumption without even considering emissions.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
max_torq
From the Futura

Even operating a turbo engine and a larger n/a engine at the same power, the turbo will have less fuel consumption since it is making power from the waste heat in the exhaust, already lost to the N/a engine. Not even considering the larger frictional losses in the larger engine.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq View Post
Even operating a turbo engine and a larger n/a engine at the same power, the turbo will have less fuel consumption since it is making power from the waste heat in the exhaust, already lost to the N/a engine. Not even considering the larger frictional losses in the larger engine.

Turbo is span by kinetic energy of exhaust gasses - heat is merely a byproduct of combustion.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes but once the energy is past the exhaust valves it is normally wasted after all that is the function of the exhaust ( a waste disposal system) by harnessing that energy you increase the overall efficiency of the engine, it should be noted supercharging does not have the same benefit as it is driven by the crankshaft so it is parasitic
Quote:
Turbo is span by kinetic energy of exhaust gasses - heat is merely a byproduct of combustion.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah what a disaster the Sierra Cosworth RS 500 was , and the RS 200 . Oh hang on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so many factors influencing economy it`s not funny, obviously ford oz has done a pretty good job with the ecoboost falcon, good gearing and a good sized engine for the purpose intended it would seem, the falcon is also fairly decent in the aero department to from memory.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

The article describes laboratory tests and then pay a subscription!!!

Ford forum feedback from owners would be a better real world result.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #20
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree, zero cred!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had the Fabia do high 5's/100km on a regular 80km round-trip I take; my old auto Focus 2L never managed less than low 7's on the same route.

Then again, "using" the Fabia (that is, employing the turbo at mid-range and higher revs, rather than relying on the low-revving super-charger) has put that figure up to high 6's, whilst the Focus would only go up to mid 7's L/100km.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reliable longivity formula of a small boosted engine in large car doesnt work
Nissan tried this with firstly the 2.8 turbo diesel and the 3 L turbo diesel patrols
IF the formula was a winning formula,and didnt have the reliabilty issue they wouldnt be stuffin a V8 in the new patrols
300 KW patrols getting mid teens per 100 K
Not bad for something looking like a brick,and weighing what they do ......
Theres no replacement for displacement
People go on about turboed small engines, but the ford turbo six proves a big engine boosted can be scary
Ill have big lazy n/a engine over a smaller boosted engine all day ......
We all know factory power and economy figures arent really relevant in the real world
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Well an F6 can do that with a litre less and for around 8.5l/100km, while producing a lot more mid-range torque to boot :-)
WTF are you and Magpie smoking ????
There's no way a Coyote can average anywhere near 9.5 L/100 km's or an F6 can get anywhere near 8.5 L/100 km's.

Its possible on the open road if you drive like a granny, but that's not on average and who the heck buys there cars to drive them like a granny ???

(A very large dose of realism is called for ).

F6 - real world 13.3 L/100 km's on average
SC GT-P - real world 15.0 L/100 km's on average
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

Not quite the same rodge, but stop start in my G6et with 100% acceleration whenever I get a chance = 12.9L/100 average over the last 5 tanks.
On the highway, Brisbane-Dalby-Brisbane, not driving like a nanny either, 8.0l/100km.
Same trip in my BA 6, was 12.4 for the stop start and 7.9 for the highway.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
WTF are you and Magpie smoking ????
There's no way a Coyote can average anywhere near 9.5 L/100 km's or an F6 can get anywhere near 8.5 L/100 km's.

Its possible on the open road if you drive like a granny, but that's not on average and who the heck buys there cars to drive them like a granny ???

(A very large dose of realism is called for ).

F6 - real world 13.3 L/100 km's on average
SC GT-P - real world 15.0 L/100 km's on average
Don't get your knickers in a not, it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that we were talking highway economy. I did Melbourne to Sydney on a tank a few times in the F6 without stopping...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
Rodge
Banned

I suppose almost any economy, within reason, is feasable if you drive on flat open roads at the optimum speed.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably 95% of all cars after 10 years will be 'recycled' via a poor student, never serviced (why?..it keeps starting!) so...off to the scrap heap ...it's too exy to repair and no residual value. That's the brutal reality.....kids are more interested in comp. games.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Small turbocharged engines can't be lumped into one category.
Obviously different iterations are going to yield different results.
We've already seen what great work an EcoBoost motor can do, and we've seen how damn average a Holden Cruze ITI turbo can be.
Like any motor, it should be assessed on its merits and judged accordingly. Much the same with Turbo-Diesel motors - not all were created equal.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #29
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

In simple terms if there were 5 falcons, one with each of the EB4, I6, ecolpi, T6 and SCV8 which were all ballasted to the same weight with the same wheels and tyres doing 100km/h on the same road the power produced by each would be almost identical with the only differences being due to drive train friction.
Terms are a bit too simple. The power required would be the same. Efficiency of the engine is a lot more than just drive train friction. Combustion efficiency in the rev and load range would account for more than the friction losses

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
The reliable longivity formula of a small boosted engine in large car doesnt work
Nissan tried this with firstly the 2.8 turbo diesel and the 3 L turbo diesel patrols
IF the formula was a winning formula,and didnt have the reliabilty issue they wouldnt be stuffin a V8 in the new patrols
But that's Nissan. Look at BMW, Mercedes etc, they all make it work just fine. Even the engine in my old WRX did just fine. Made it to 225K before I drowned the engine. And that was running about 190kw at the wheels (up from around 120kw atw). Drove it hard when ever I could, mainly did city driving and returned around 11L per 100kms. Even my wife's WRX is just about to hit 200K. Still going just as strong.

Nissan just don't know what they're doing