Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default My engine's leaking (photos) - advice?

Hi everyone,

Here are some quick phone photos. Would anyone know what this might be?

You can see the shiny part and it's dripping down onto the ground underneath.

Thanks in advance...!

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
webby_191189
low wagooon

Cant quite make out, Is it oil or water?

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

It's black / dark liquid as it drips onto the ground in black spots. That whole area is saturated in greasy dark liquid. :(

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

First thing to do would be to pull the belt cover off and get a decent look at it. It could just be the rocker cover gasket being that it's originating from so high up. But it could also be the head gasket as well. I'm assuming you've done the usual checks to make sure there's no cross contamination of oil and coolant.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Hmm...Inside an Engine there is Coolant (Green) or oil (Black or Golden)

This stuff is........ "It's black / dark liquid as it drips onto the ground in black spots"

Dunno. Too hard for me!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Do you have oil leaks on the other side of the engine near the front as well???

I had a cam tensioner leak on the driver's side of the engine .... and the amount of oil it leaked out around the front of the engine actually made it's way around to the passenger side of the engine ... especially once fans come on as well. Sprayed it everywhere.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a similar one , initially i thought it was head gasget too but after a bit of a degrease, it was only a tiny bit of seepage, it seemed to be being blown over the front of the engine and over the x member in a short time ....but still not enough oil to have a top up between changes, i changed the harmonic seal as it seemed to be getting flung off it but to no avail :(, it appears on mine to be coming from the timing cover somewhere, i`m gonna try some dye ...apparently you put in the engine oil after washing the engine then look at it with a black light, repco has it apparently ....anyone tried this method?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
v8capri8

the photos arnt the clearest but from what i can see i would say that its either the head gasket or the timing case (dont take that as gospel)
both of which are big jobs if you dont really know what it is you are looking at pop in to your local mechanic and get them to give it a washdown and acess where it is coming from for you

REAL MEN DONT WEAR BOWTIES OR DRIVE IMPORTS
v8capri8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Hmm...Inside an Engine there is Coolant (Green) or oil (Black or Golden)

This stuff is........ "It's black / dark liquid as it drips onto the ground in black spots"

Dunno. Too hard for me!
Exactly what I was thinking.....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I think its your timing case.Gently retorque the blots.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post