Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #1
veqlargh

Default Difference between AU's

Hi all,

Was trying to find some info on difference between AU's primarily body panels between Fairmonts (high series) and XR's (low series) also the various series.

EG i know that the bonnets are different, does this mean that front fenders and front bars are also different. And boots are different from series 1 to series 2?

Been looking around to find the answer without too much luck. If someone could enlighten me or point me to a reference to read would be great.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Difference between AU's

Yes, the bonnet is the main difference. Front guards (fenders?) are the same and AFAIK so are the front bars.

The bonnet that has the centre section that drops lower is fitted to S1 Forte, S1 Futura, all utes and XR models.
The bonnet that has the centre section that is raised is fitted to S1 Fairmont and all series 2&3 non ute and non XR models.

I thought the only difference to the boot was the plastic garnish was squared off for series 2&3- I thought the sheet metal parts were the same.

Wiki has a pretty good description and plenty of photos for comparison; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(AU)

Depending on model the grills and garnish can be different too. Most differentiation occurred with S1 with each model having a unique grill.

Last edited by Raptor; 01-06-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
veqlargh

thanks Raptor.

I've had a read through wiki it didn't quite answer what i needed. Mainly wondering if i can put an XR front end and spoiler onto a Fairmont. The front fender was a big question mark.
veqlargh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I love the the design of the original AU Forte with the waterfall grille.

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

But unfortunately the majority of the public didn't and in hindsight was the turning point that forever changed the trajectory of what might have become of Ford Australia and Ford's designed and manufactured in Australia :(

Old 02-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I traded my Forte (in the pic) on a brand new BA.

The AU was better in my opinion.

I may get another series I AU, but having just bought an AUII Sportsman I'll have to wait until my wife goes overseas again before I act.

I'd like an AU series I Futura, in white, stock, lowered slightly so that it still has the rake of the original design (low at front, higher at back) and put a waterfall grille on it. Tint the windows and put 18 inch chrome wheels on it.

I doubt if I could find a V8

Last edited by Cav; 09-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veqlargh View Post
thanks Raptor.

I've had a read through wiki it didn't quite answer what i needed. Mainly wondering if i can put an XR front end and spoiler onto a Fairmont. The front fender was a big question mark.
The fenders are the same.
However the XR has a plastic front which incorporates the headlights.
And I'm fairly sure you'll need to swap to the XR bonnet.

Do yo already have the XR front? Cos good examples are hard to come by.
There are a variety of after market ones, but choose carefully as quality varies substantially.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 02-06-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

I love the AUs, as one of the best Falcons for their features and reliability. Especially the Intech 6.
Time has softened me to their looks, and it doesn't look too bad in this colour. But at the time I thought the base model was hideous.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
inventiv

AU was ahead of it's time... The VT Commodore was a darling of it's age but take a look at how dated it looks now. A clean AU looks right at home meanwhile even in today's traffic.

I think ford oz survived the AU 'disaster' actually, the BA was very well received. But it was their lack of marketing nous that buried the brand. Holden marketed the crap out of their cars (I remember being frustrated at seeing all of the ads as a kid lol) but for whatever reason Ford never got the hang of it.

To this day Ford OZ struggles to successfully market cars that are world best-sellers (Focus, Fiesta, Everest, etc). Something's not quite right in that place.

Back on topic, doesn't the S1 AU vary significantly as far as panels go compared to S2/3? I heard that pieces such as rear lights and front bars from S2/3 won't go on S1?
inventiv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by inventiv View Post
Back on topic, doesn't the S1 AU vary significantly as far as panels go compared to S2/3? I heard that pieces such as rear lights and front bars from S2/3 won't go on S1?
I don't think so. The AUII-III rear lights are just the same as AU1 Fairmont. All the front bars (except Fairlane, XR and T-series) are exactly the same. For example a Series 1 Forte and a Series 3 Ghia have the exact same front bar.

The rear bumper changed on AUII. It looks similar but is a bit deeper. Bodywork wise, most AU stuff is interchangeable. The biggest difference is in the electronic side of it.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

If one was to log EVERY change, and ALL differences in the AU, from series 1 to 3, from low to high series, and even the T-series, it would be pages and pages and pages of data. The AU has be the "Falcon" model with THE most changes ever made from start to finish IMO.

So.. who thinks they know the most on AU's?

Want to start a log?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Exterior cosmetic changes made to AU2/3 Forte;

- Forte gets Fairmont bonnet
- AU1 Fairmont taillights made standard
- Rear Bar deepened
- Headlight reflective changed from "silver" to "crystal" to "black" respectively (insanely difficult to spot)
- AU3 gets clear side repeaters & side skirting
- Front bar dimensions altered (S2/3 Front bars do not fit correctly on S1)

There were a myriad of other changes made to everything else, but I hope that offers a basic guide to exterior.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #13
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD-85 View Post
Exterior cosmetic changes made to AU2/3 Forte;

- Forte gets Fairmont bonnet
- AU1 Fairmont taillights made standard
- Rear Bar deepened
- Headlight reflective changed from "silver" to "crystal" to "black" respectively (insanely difficult to spot)
- AU3 gets clear side repeaters & side skirting
- Front bar dimensions altered (S2/3 Front bars do not fit correctly on S1)

There were a myriad of other changes made to everything else, but I hope that offers a basic guide to exterior.
ADD brakes and sound deadening
Old 14-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Add exterior door pillar trims to that too. Have a close look at which ones have losts of rust, AU1 or AU2-3. Even the door glass rubbers are different AU1 to AU2/3 (better sealing and better quality rubber on AU1's). Small differences, but still different.

There's more but.. to sum it up, Ford spent money on AU1, then cut corners (and money) on AU2-3.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

All AU utes used series 1 low-series bonnets.
B-series wagons and utes carried over AU-windscreens and rooflines. Only the sedans were different in the B-series.

centre dash cluster changed from AUI to AUII
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
Dezza
Parts bin special

The windscreen on the BA wagon and ute is actually slightly longer at the bottom than the AU one. I found this out when I had the windscreen replaced on my old AU. The windscreen bloke accidentally fitted a BA ute one and the bonnet hinges hit it and cracked it when he opened the bonnet. Needless to say, they replaced it with the proper AU windscreen at their expense.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #17
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The fenders are the same.
However the XR has a plastic front which incorporates the headlights.
And I'm fairly sure you'll need to swap to the XR bonnet.

Do yo already have the XR front? Cos good examples are hard to come by.
There are a variety of after market ones, but choose carefully as quality varies substantially.
Fenders/guards aren't quite the same, xr guards have a mount for the xr front to bolt to. Makes the plastic nosecone a bit more sturdy. Can be done without it, but it can make it a bit floppy and panel gaps can be an issue.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #18
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If I had a Series 1 AU I would put a Series 1 XR nose, Series II/III, Series II/III XR nose.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post