Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
KosCo

Default Ford Sat Nav Map Updates

I am putting this in under the Ford Focus area even though it applies to all Ford vehicles and users.

I have recently purchased a new Ford Focus which came with an in car GPS System. Since using the system it has become apparent that the maps were quite out of date. I have been back to the dealer and asked about updates for the maps and was told that I would have to talk to Ford about that. This seemed strange as outside the dealers yard was a large Ford sign.

So it appears that dealers put their heads in the sand and don’t want to know about the problems and also won’t pick up the phone on behalf of their customers. I gather they don’t want to talk to Ford.

So I went to the Ford website and it appears that Ford does not want to talk to customers as there is no information there on how to contact Ford – no email address, no phone numbers, no address, nothing.

A Google search finally provided an email link to Ford which only allowed me to send a brief message regarding any map updates. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually received a phone call from Ford about my query. The outcome from several phone calls from Ford has been –
· I had the latest maps installed in my car
· I can monitor the Ford website for any future updates to Sat Nav maps.

I had removed the SD map card from my car and based on the dates on the files on the card, it appears that the maps would be about November 2010. This means that the maps would at least be over 2 years old on a brand new car.

The Ford website does have a page regarding Sat Nav updates at –
http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

Here there are 4 models of Ford listed but none of them have any details or history of ever having any map updates nor is there any indication when or if ever there will be any map updates..

I am wondering if these Sat Nav units then “fit for purpose” when the maps are over 2 years old when supplied in a brand new car?

Does anyone know of any other way of getting maps updates for these units other than relying on Ford? Would appreciate any help from anyone who has dealt with this type of problem. Why are Ford owners treated so badly?

KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Sat Nav Map Updates

Good try on the fit for purpose but that will not win.
Factory sat-navs are designed to bring in money to the dealer not to help you get around. They take old (cheaper) maps and adjust them to suit their software so you cannot bypass them. A few manufacturers use Tom Tom and similar compatible maps but must ask first before you buy a car if that is important to you
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
mutanti
Turbo

I Have Same Issue,
First day I drove it home, Did not have Peninsula Link, and Did not have Nagambie Bypass, as well as some other Roads, and that was Just on the Way Home. the Newel Just past tocumwal was showing speed in lower corner as 110 when Is has been 100 for quite some time, Wish I was Able to Bypass their Security on car SD slot and just install tomtom or even better Sygic into the system.
mutanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the version of your SD card?

It should say on the label - the latest version is V4.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
aaaaplay

I bought a Mk 1 Sport today only to find my house wasn't on the navigation unit. My SD Cars is a version 3. I've been doing some research and the Mazda BT50 uses the same maps and a similar if not the same unit. Where is has promised BT50 owners an update as of April this year, if they got that I have no idea. The unit by the way is a Bosch Navi 900 if that helps. This info and more I found at this link:
http://www.austech.info/gps/83090-fo...d-sat-nav.html

Hopefully there will be a solution!
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
mutanti
Turbo

I'm sure mine was v 3
Old 30-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phone Ford CRC and complain if you only just purchased the car, their number is 133673.

An email and a phone call and a V4 SD card mysteriously turned up at my dealer with my VIN on it.

If the car is 12 months old or something they probably won't do it for free, however I raised it within 2 weeks of delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaplay View Post
I've been doing some research and the Mazda BT50 uses the same maps and a similar if not the same unit.
That's correct, the same unit is also fitted to the new Ranger amongst other models.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
mutanti
Turbo

If someone has a v4 card can they try and make a copy with gparted live boot disk. It must be formatted fat 16 . Let us know if a copy works
Old 30-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB View Post
Phone Ford CRC and complain if you only just purchased the car, their number is 133673.

An email and a phone call and a V4 SD card mysteriously turned up at my dealer with my VIN on it.

If the car is 12 months old or something they probably won't do it for free, however I raised it within 2 weeks of delivery.

That's correct, the same unit is also fitted to the new Ranger amongst other models.

I will do
Thanks
Will let you know how I go
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
aaaaplay

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...afad7&start=30

This forum seems quite interesting, as it seems the VIN# is not tied to the car, however the card is formatted to Fat16 which is an obscure file format for obvious reasons (security). I'll try making a copy of my SD and see if the copy works.

I recommend a read of the forum quite interesting.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
aaaaplay

Ok so I tried it out in my focus making a duplicate of the original, and simply put doesnt work comes up with error. This is even formatted to FAT 16. The only other thing I could do is make an image and try and duplicate instead of copy/past method. :(
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Ok so I tried it out in my focus making a duplicate of the original, and simply put doesnt work comes up with error. This is even formatted to FAT 16. The only other thing I could do is make an image and try and duplicate instead of copy/past method. :(
Well Everything is worth A try.

I have already been to that and a few other sites as well.
Have done a Fair bit of googleling about this.
I'm sure there will be a workaround but you have to find the doorway to Get around the Security.

thanks.

Will Explore other Ideas, But will try Getting back to Ford once again..
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB View Post

I rang the Number and spoke to them, man On phone told me to check Card
he said its not the Software version Number ( Mine is 3.0 ) but the Small number which has either AA or AB on it.
Mine has AA which is the old map,
the new maps have AB on the number.
He said I need to go back to Dealer and speak to them about it but could not offer much more info apart from Mine being AA does infact have an update.
He said the Web Site was initially setup so updates could be downloaded when available but are no longer using that System as there are only going to Supply maps on the SD cards instead of making them available for Download due to End User Issues etc.
Does yours have " AB " in the Small Writing ??
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
hugoti

Obvious question - how does one remove the SD card containing the maps? I have a 2013 Focus ST and don't recall seeing any SD card slots in the vehicle.
hugoti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
jonohoang

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoti View Post
Obvious question - how does one remove the SD card containing the maps? I have a 2013 Focus ST and don't recall seeing any SD card slots in the vehicle.
The SD slot is directly above the screen, which is easy to miss.
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
aaaaplay

Well I have spoken to my dealer (Blacklocks Ford) whilst getting a number plate adapter and he's said its is an ongoing issue with built in navigation with ford. He also said a newer version may be available at the end of the year. Let me emphasises the "may" bit.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutanti
I rang the Number and spoke to them, man On phone told me to check Card
he said its not the Software version Number ( Mine is 3.0 ) but the Small number which has either AA or AB on it.
Mine has AA which is the old map,
the new maps have AB on the number.
He said I need to go back to Dealer and speak to them about it but could not offer much more info apart from Mine being AA does infact have an update.
He said the Web Site was initially setup so updates could be downloaded when available but are no longer using that System as there are only going to Supply maps on the SD cards instead of making them available for Download due to End User Issues etc.
Does yours have " AB " in the Small Writing ??
The AA or AB only refers to the part number of the card - the part number of my V4 card is ABA, whereas the number on my old V3 card is AA like yours. The version of the card is what dictates how old the maps are.

Quote:
He also said a newer version may be available at the end of the year. Let me emphasises the "may" bit.
The updates are available now - the back of the blister pack my V4 card came in was copyrighted 2012, so that would indicate to me that it has been around for a little while now - I've read about Ranger Wildtrak and Mazda BT50 owners having updated SD cards supplied also.

I'd suggest that if you aren't having any luck with CRC to post up on Ford's Facebook page also as they can assist with things at times.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I second wildb had mine updated at the 3 month mark for free guess it also depends on the dealer.

Daily: UA11 BiTurbo Everest
Weekend Project 1999 AU XR8
Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

RIP: FGX XR8 MANUAL Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447239

AU Fairlane Sparkling Burgundy thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....61#post5854961

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

UT Explorer limited Written OFF

BA XR8
Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1299363&page=7

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
EVL BOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
hugoti

So V4 is the latest version?
hugoti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
mutanti
Turbo

Just had A phone Call back From FORD.
Had A Nice Chap on the phone...
Very Glad he Called.
Told Me that Mine is Infact the "AA" - the oldest Maps.

Told me there is a "AB" out now as per WILDB's image Above.
Also told me that In the Next Few Months that "AC" Will be out.
Could not give me a Time Frame or Exact Date but did say he was Told in next few Months.
I'm Happy to Wait until "AC" - hopefully then at least the maps will be in line with the production Date of the Car.
Can use my Mobile Phone for those Places I cant Find until then.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Shared GPS unit with the 5" Ranger screen (being the Bosch unit) it seems, same issues with out of date maps and new owners having mixed experiences getting the updates.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Checked mine today, it is a version 3 with AA. Up for the 15K in a couple of months so will advise prior to arrival of what I have and what I've heard and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
KosCo

Thanks to everyone who have responded to my original posting here about the age of the maps and lack of updates.

Yup - my car was delivered in October 2012 - Focus Titanium and the SD card shows V3 with the "AA".

So will follow up on some of the comments here that indicate that V4 is available. Thanks to those who provided the phone number for CRC and hopefully can get some resolution there.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
mutanti
Turbo

Got call today from Dealer,
Said to Call in to get SD Card Changed over, I Replied its a 4 hour Drive ???
I Asked if he could just post it,
He said he cant until he has my old one first.
I will be posting it out Tomorrow to them.
Lets see how this goes.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a charge for that? I spoke to my dealer and after some probing they did admit that a version later than mine existed. I currently have V.3 AA. They were also adamant it was going to cost me $250 for the new card.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
mutanti
Turbo

I Would Hope Not,
As I had Complained when I first brought the car that maps were Out of date with the Manufacture year of the car.
Sending them My old AA Card out in the mail today for them to then send back the AB Version.
Has been No Speak Of $$$ in our Conversations...
He did say I can't have the New Card until he has My old One. ???
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope you are lucky with it. It seems common to see a different approach from different dealers. I don't have my car serviced where I bought it so I might have a go at service time in the hope something good happens.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
I hope you are lucky with it. It seems common to see a different approach from different dealers. I don't have my car serviced where I bought it so I might have a go at service time in the hope something good happens.
Put the pressure on them,
Complain , he Who kicks loudest Sometime gets looked after First.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #29
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have any of you guys looked at the actual files for the maps?? Generally the files are compatible. For example I have navtek maps on a sensis mapped device. All i have to do is rename the file to get the latest map. As the navtek maps are updated regularly.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
mutanti
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx View Post
have any of you guys looked at the actual files for the maps?? Generally the files are compatible. For example I have navtek maps on a sensis mapped device. All i have to do is rename the file to get the latest map. As the navtek maps are updated regularly.
The Security on the SD Cards is very well Done.
I have even tried to make a Clone of the SD card with GPARTED Live Linux boot Disk From original to Another SD And it still Would Not Work.
Cope was in Same Format ( Fat16 )

Sat nav says Card not compatable...