Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Angry AU XR8 engine oil milky white/brown.

WTF Not happy, just wen't out to check the oil level in the XR and found the oil a milky horrible white/brown colour. I changed the oil on Thursday and all was fine and now this, and it only has 87k on it. I've spoken to where I bought it from and they are saying they will fix it, they will or they'll die, so that's ok but now i'm stuck at work with no car. So what should I be trying to get them to fix? is it just a gasket thats let go or something more sinister, reckon I could hit em up for a full rebuild.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
xr8man83
Grunt Files

i would hit them up to check your heads sounds like there is water comin in
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definatly sounds like a head gasket or a water jacket has gone kaput
Old 29-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

i wouldnt put a bet on the head gaskets yet, it may be the lower manifold leaking into the engine from the water passing through the manifold and are leaking into the valley. Very uncommon for a head gasket to blow on a 5L unless its been hot. They heads may be cracked also.

But if your saying that one min it was fine and then milky i would say inlet manifold gaskets.

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Started it up before I left work to see how she ran. Took longer than usual to get up oil pressure, it didn't get all the way up to where it usually sits and then it slowly started dropping so I killed it quick smart. So now I have a water in oil problem and an oil pressure problem.
Old 30-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR8220
Started it up before I left work to see how she ran. Took longer than usual to get up oil pressure, it didn't get all the way up to where it usually sits and then it slowly started dropping so I killed it quick smart. So now I have a water in oil problem and an oil pressure problem.
The problem will just be one thing - the pressure won't get up to what it should be because it's no longer just oil.

Yours is the car that had the unichip that didn't work,isn't it? I reckon that may have caused some localised heat issues and you may have a blown head gasket. My bet is on cylinder number 4 or 7.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

I thought these oil pressure guages were fake anyways? if your oil pressure was getting lower then the light would have came on first then the guage would drop after the light came on, unless i missed something.

Shaun.

Old 30-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
I thought these oil pressure guages were fake anyways? if your oil pressure was getting lower then the light would have came on first then the guage would drop after the light came on, unless i missed something.

Shaun.
I have an AU1 XR8 - the oil pressure gauge shows oil pressure (ie it works poroperly). Not sure whether Ford changed it to a warning gauge as a cost cutting measure in the AU2/3.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi there just had the heads off on my s3xr8 due to pressurizing of cooling system and found blown on 7 and 8 but luckily not in the oil only had 70k but what i did notice was the pass gasket on back to front .does make you wander if its the same name on the rocker or **** gaskets
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

**** dude, doesn't sound good at all. Always wondered how 'healthy' my engine really is... maybe I don't want to know

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well it's on the back of a tow truck, off to see just what has gone wrong.
Old 30-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
The Mighty Red

Good luck with it , I hope you are covered , thats one nice XR8 you have there.
Old 30-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Blue XR6
Good luck with it , I hope you are covered , thats one nice XR8 you have there.
Thanks, it seems at the moment I am covered, the place I bought it from is getting it fixed, but until I get her back and she is fine without me having to spend anything is when i'll believe it.
Old 30-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
2002auxr6
Drunk!

hey mate how long ago did you bu your car, is it in stat warranty or do you have a aftermarket warranty?
Old 30-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
hey mate how long ago did you bu your car, is it in stat warranty or do you have a aftermarket warranty?
Both, altough i've done 10k since buying it.
Old 30-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #16
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I have an AU1 XR8 - the oil pressure gauge shows oil pressure (ie it works poroperly). Not sure whether Ford changed it to a warning gauge as a cost cutting measure in the AU2/3.
Yeh the AU2/3 are just a oil light switch and the when the light is on the gauge reads 0 and when the oil light is off it reads about 3/4's on the gauge,

Cheap *** FORD.

Old 30-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #17
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

The only way to have a working gauge is to put in after market or put in a S1 cluster.

Old 30-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #18
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Hope its nothing Seriously Wrong , that thing was mint when you came Karting , strange it happend when you did the Oil //

Cheers
Daniel

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well it's been sorted and I pick it up tomorrow. Turned out to be a leaking inlet manifold gasket so Shaun I thank you as without that knowledge, the mechanic hadn't thought of it and tried to put it down to the PCV that was stuck closed, this may not have been fixed.
Old 31-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #20
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only way to have a working gauge is to put in after market or put in a S1 cluster.
Has anyone tryed this mod to a later series XR?
Id be interested to findout, as the crappy non working ones on mine give me the shits, what were ford thinking!
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #21
XEESP_351

Quote:
Well it's been sorted and I pick it up tomorrow. Turned out to be a leaking inlet manifold gasket so Shaun I thank you as without that knowledge, the mechanic hadn't thought of it and tried to put it down to the PCV that was stuck closed, this may not have been fixed.
when i saw this thread i started to sweat..Mine has over 120k on it. Glad to hear only manifold gasket not a head problem. Any idea on wot caused the gasket to leak?
XEESP_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #22
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
No worries mate i wasnt convinced it was a headgasket as it was all of a suddon thing, the leaky intake manifold gasket is a very common one, i work on windsors all the time at work and its common. Glad it wasnt a big fix and she is gonna be on the road so soon.

Shaun.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr t-series
when i saw this thread i started to sweat..Mine has over 120k on it. Glad to hear only manifold gasket not a head problem. Any idea on wot caused the gasket to leak?
Apparantly it's a fairly common issue with them.

Quote:
No worries mate i wasnt convinced it was a headgasket as it was all of a suddon thing, the leaky intake manifold gasket is a very common one, i work on windsors all the time at work and its common. Glad it wasnt a big fix and she is gonna be on the road so soon.

Shaun.
Well it's back with me as it should but the bastards wouldn't cover the costs of changing the coolant, cheap bastards. They must be the dodgiest and tightest car yard about and yes I did tell them that. So to anyone that reads this it is probably a good idea to stay away from Stik Performance Cars in Heidelberg road Ivanhoe, Vic.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I guess you can thank Christ it was your headgaskets.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Is it the cluster or just the switch/sender that would need to be replaced? I would have thought that the cluster would just be recieving the signal and if the oil pressure switch was replaced with an E series or SI pressure sender it would work.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #26
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Is it the cluster or just the switch/sender that would need to be replaced? I would have thought that the cluster would just be recieving the signal and if the oil pressure switch was replaced with an E series or SI pressure sender it would work.
I thought all you needed to do was add the sender, the guage in the cluster should be ok.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong though. Pretty sure Casper knows about this!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Nah you cant just change the sended its basically the way the cluster was designed, ive spoken to vdo and have been told that it can be done but is very costly as it will basically have to be re-designed. I wish it was that simple tho it would be good.

Shaun.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Nah you cant just change the sended its basically the way the cluster was designed, ive spoken to vdo and have been told that it can be done but is very costly as it will basically have to be re-designed. I wish it was that simple tho it would be good.

Shaun.
No worries!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 06-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #29
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

It really does suck tho you buy a xr s2 and all you get is a guage that sits in the same damn spot. you buy a ea spac and you get a fully functional one. it sucks i say.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
It really does suck tho you buy a xr s2 and all you get is a guage that sits in the same damn spot. you buy a ea spac and you get a fully functional one. it sucks i say.
True. Ford deleted some things from S1 to S2 to justify the added expense of the larger brakes, wheels and cosmetics.

I know the oil pressure guage was one, and the low radiator sensor was another. From memory, Casper had a bit of a list of what was deleted to compensate for the other upgrades.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG