Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Simmo
White Lightning

Default Fuel Pump Died, How To Replace

Well my fuel pump decided to kick it last night at 1am about 1km from home. i've been told its easy to replace, just take a panel out of the boot floor and you can get to it.

So do i just need a new pump and replacement o-ring? im sure repco have the o-ring but do i have to get the pump from ford?
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

See if an auto elec can hook you up with a change over unit? They will be costly from Ford.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
niko
likes falcon's

but 2nd handies are not "as good" coz there dont have fuel in em, thus dried up, best alternative is getting one from a unit that has petrol in the tank still
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Simmo
White Lightning

well im gonna buy a brand new one from repco probably. except they dont seem to know about the o-ring i need. the new pump doesnt come with one and they are checking on it for me, but if any of you guys know what i need, that'd be great.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I got a new brand new pump from Ford for my old EA a while ago and it was about $180 + $10 for the o-ring.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No you dont need the o-ring. THe hardest part of the process is getting the plastic retaining ring off. Use a bid flat screwdriver and hammer to slowly rotate and undo it, the rest is easy.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
Simmo
White Lightning

well i just got back from repco $190 poorer. got GreenMachine coming round in a minute to chuck the thing in.

ahhh bloody cars *shakes head*. i had a day to enjoy my lovely new suspension and brakes [which are absolutely kickass] then it died 1 kay from home. i am a very poor little boy at the moment.

Last edited by Simmo; 09-01-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
bogan393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
I got a new brand new pump from Ford for my old EA a while ago and it was about $180 + $10 for the o-ring.
That fairly expensive, i just got a brand new walbro 255lph pump off this guy on ebay for the same price. He has a constant supply of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....sPageName=WDVW
bogan393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
Simmo
White Lightning

well its in and working well. if anyone has the dodgy idle problem where it doesnt sit still, try changing your fuel pump, mines solid as a rock on 700rpm now. i'm yet to test with some WOT but i wouldnt be surprised if i got my second or more back on the 1/4 now.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear it solved the idle problem, obviously it wasn't pumping enough to keep a constant fuel pressure probably causing AF ratios to go all over the place.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
XRated
Shoot.

Just for anyone interested, my fuel pump died a few weeks ago too. Funnily enough, it sorted my intermittent starting problem, fuel economy is better and it seemed to be a bit more responsive.

I figure it's a worthy change for anyone who hasn't done it yet and is racking up kms. You don't know when it will die in the **** and be stuck in the middle of no where... I was stuck in peak hour traffic in Geelong, as some of the other Vic E-Series members can attest!
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
Simmo
White Lightning

When you changed yours did you have a massive hose clamp around the screw on top? i did on mine and it took a shiteload of fiddling to finally get it loose. i cant really see the point of it though, the screw top the holds the sender assembly in gets pretty damn tight, i dont think it needs a hose clamp around the whole thing.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #13
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

it's probably on there to stop people like us removing it lol

that clamp took me an hour or so to get off lol i was trying to work out how to unscrew it (which I did in the end lol)
Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #14
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Just for anyone interested, my fuel pump died a few weeks ago too. Funnily enough, it sorted my intermittent starting problem, fuel economy is better and it seemed to be a bit more responsive.

I figure it's a worthy change for anyone who hasn't done it yet and is racking up kms. You don't know when it will die in the **** and be stuck in the middle of no where... I was stuck in peak hour traffic in Geelong, as some of the other Vic E-Series members can attest!
Gee......... wonder who fitted that??????

Ahh that was a #$@#$ to get the ring off

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #15
Simmo
White Lightning

So what methos did you guys use? i got an 8mm rind spanner on an angle cos 7 was too small. it's still sitting loose around the cap and it's yet to leak so we'll see what happens.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #16
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

sorry to hijack simmo but while we're talking about pumps, im doing my bbm conversion one day. i need to upgrade the old cfi pump to a newer one, ive got it already, just wondering if i can install it yet, or will it be trying to pump to much?

bender
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #17
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be able to install it now, the CFI's must still run a fuel pressure regulator so it doesn't matter how big the fuel pump is, it will just circulate the fuel quicker, fuel pressure will remain the same.l
Old 10-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

sweet as, thanks for the quick reply, ive got something to do this weekend now! ill see if that fixed all my problems....
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Old 10-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #19
Simmo
White Lightning

do you need my expertise now that i watched Nick do it? or are you right by yourself.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #20
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

lol... Derb, if that bastard goes again, just buy another car - i'll tow the XR to the wreckers... it was a ***** of a job! Has anyone actually got the big **** hose clamp back on the screw top? I barely got it off jamming an oversize spanner halfway over it... no way i can angle it to tighten the bugger up....

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #21
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
no way i can angle it to tighten the bugger up....
I wouldn't worry about it, mine hasn't been on for a couple of years and I haven't had a problem.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #22
Simmo
White Lightning

hey nick it looks like benders coming here to put the new pump in his beast. you may get another call :P.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #23
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

lol... be prepared for no answer!

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #24
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

beast???? id hardly go that far simmo...

Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #25
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

the hose clamp is on there to hold on tank in place when the car was built ,you dont need to put it back on.
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 PM   #26
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTY
the hose clamp is on there to hold on tank in place when the car was built ,you dont need to put it back on.
Ahh really? Thanks for clarifying, because mine was too hard to get back on (tightened) so it's just sitting there...

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post