Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Teleto
Concept 2 Reality

Default AU "highbeams"

Ive noticed I get told and highbeamed from cars driving past alot of times to turn off my highbeams on my au2 when there actually not on. The au's have to have one of the brightest sets of lights ive seen. Anyone else having this happen to them?

Teleto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I've never had anyone flash, though as an AU owner I know that the low beams light up the road very well. I have been startled by an oncoming AU before with it's low beams on, imagine the high beams!!

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

AUs are notorious for this. You just need to drop your adjustment down a little. They are a very bright light and if not adjusted properly can cause lots of glare to oncoming drivers. At 5 metres back from a wall the cut-off of the low beam should be about 50mm lower than the headlight centre.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Used to happen when I was towing my boat, as I guess the back would be lower and the low beams pointing skyward. Still happens occasionally in the wagon, but if anyone highbeams me, I just just beam them back - then they realise what highbeam is!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

So long as you just make it a brief flash, no need to blast them for an innocent mistake!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Used to happen when I was towing my boat, as I guess the back would be lower and the low beams pointing skyward. Still happens occasionally in the wagon, but if anyone highbeams me, I just just beam them back - then they realise what highbeam is!
hehe, same here. The AU's are incredibly bright but (and this is not just a dig at the car brand), the foglights fitted to VX/VY SS's are incredibly bright - they are downright dangerous.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Kryton

i used to have this happen alot when i had mine and i was country driving. oncoming cars would whack on their highbeams thinking i had mine on, a quick blast of AU highbeams seemed to get the message across.
and yes mine were properly adjusted too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8

yeah mate, pardon the pun, but i am in the same boat as you too! :

if your towing something its shocking, i do as you do and give them a face full of HIGH beam and a toot on the horn and keep driving happily! lol

a truck flashed me once and i swear, i got 3rd degree burns from his foggies, it was INSANE how much heat they blasted me with through the windshield!

cheers
Rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha I get flashed all the time when im cruising around in my baby, and yes, I give them a highbeam flash back, they seem to get the idea yeah...

That being said i have compared how my AU lights up the road compared to my mates VS, and I swear, compared to that Heap Of Lemur Dung Eating Nonsense the au is a freakin lighthouse!
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

A bloke I work with has a AU Forte and he recently just went to Brissie and said he got a lot of flashes from on comming traffic, so it is a very common problem with the AU by the look's of it.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yep, its a common problem indeed. I get flashed at in both the AU's.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Yeap common issue. I dont believe it to be a problem with the AU. It is great espeacially in the outback with no lights at all.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

yeah i think the lights if not properly adjusted are a pain in the rear havnt had any trouble in my car though prob cause its an XR
Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
So long as you just make it a brief flash, no need to blast them for an innocent mistake!
Yep - just a quick flash to show them that I didn't have high beams on. A long flash would be dangerous to all concerned!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 05-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

its because there is such a large surface area, the reflector also should have a guard over the globe, which it hasnt..(theyre designed to help protect against glare and also help reflect the light off the reflector)
i am going to have a try one day and see just what effect putting a guard over the globe actually has.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #16
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always just high beam them back when they flash me..
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Same here .... especially after fitting the HID kit to mine.
Oh well ... the Lightforce 240 driving lights will be hooked up soon.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #18
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

The lights on my au fairlane are . Dont light up far but it could be poor adjustment.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #19
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Same here .... especially after fitting the HID kit to mine.
Oh well ... the Lightforce 240 driving lights will be hooked up soon.

what does HID mean EXACTLY, and how would i go about getting a "kit" for my car, i like the look of the clean WHITE lights, except when they are behind you bouncing around in your rear view mirror!!!!!!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Its well known that the AU's highbeams will melt the paint off a rear bumper :

Damn good lights on them.. The XR high beams are bloody lethal. Be gentle on the poor soles that give you a flash, anything more than a quick flick can seriously blind a person (not joking) and cause a big accident... maybe even take you out.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 PM   #21
T3man
Banned

I drive an AU - NEVER get flashed. Simply because my lights are adjusted CORRECTLY. If YOU are being flashed it's for a good reason - the poor b@st@rd coming towards you CAN'T SEE. Would you rather have your lights adjusted correctly OR have someone driving towards you being BLINDED and possibly run into you head-on? The choice is easy for me.

Bottom line - if you're being flashed get your lights adjusted!!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #22
agewrx

Quote:
drive an AU - NEVER get flashed. Simply because my lights are adjusted CORRECTLY. If YOU are being flashed it's for a good reason - the poor b@st@rd coming towards you CAN'T SEE. Would you rather have your lights adjusted correctly OR have someone driving towards you being BLINDED and possibly run into you head-on? The choice is easy for me.
Mate no need to be a smartass jus cause u have the best adjusted lights in the world doesnt make u superman
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 AM   #23
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

He hasn't touched the adjustment of the lights, you'd think if you bought a $35,000 brand new car, they would comply with regulations and be set properly. It's like buying a new car, and you gotta put the motor in yaself when you get home. So relax chich, and have a coffee or something.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

MF - you are an idiot.

Casper - ban that fool!

T3Man - you are right. I learnt how to adjust mine so that when I towed, the beams stayed down. It's just a pain having to adjust them back when I wasn't towing. Haven't had a problem in the XR though - I don't think the low beams on the XR are as good as the Forte/Fairmont/T series lights.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:37 AM   #25
TUFFR
Starter Motor

motherf$#%5 was kind of right... who brings out a car with one of the most important safety features not right? kinda makes sense....
TUFFR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 01:50 AM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

No-one has said the lights aren't right - just that they seem to be bright. Unlike you and your mate TUFFR.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:55 AM   #27
TUFFR
Starter Motor

well they arent 10000K bulbs thats for sure so it must be a factory fault from lazy engineering
TUFFR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 03:31 AM   #28
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my left lowbeam headlight in my AU fairlane doesnt seem to be throwing a beam like the right hand light (u know how u can see the "shape" on walls when you pull upto em of hte beam right in the middle of the light..

well my left doesnt show it..
ive tried adjusting up and down but cant find the beam anywhere..
the guy at ford said it may just be a dirty light. and need a flush out with kero..
but yeah i dont think thats the case..
im personally thinking a semi blown globe..
any ideas guys?

also arnt HID kits ILLEGAL!(the true HID kit not a stupid light globe thats blue)
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #29
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by agewrx
Mate no need to be a smartass jus cause u have the best adjusted lights in the world doesnt make u superman

Superman- Fewl!, call me the Blob, others call me a smartarse, your choice if as your next couple of post will determine it!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #30
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleto
Ive noticed I get told and highbeamed from cars driving past alot of times to turn off my highbeams on my au2 when there actually not on. The au's have to have one of the brightest sets of lights ive seen. Anyone else having this happen to them?
I have never been highbeamed :eclipsee_ , but noticed big time how strong the au's lights are. My other car an EF has the blue lights in them & still doesn't touch the Au's lighting ability. I suggest maybe adjusting them down just a touch for safety sake. It only takes a couple of minutes.