Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
1point21
Starter Motor

Question Car clubs and red plates

Hiya,

I have an XB Coupe project car. Bought it ages ago, got a bad paint job, got the engine and transmission done up, and then got a house. Now it's been a few years of no activity and I'm looking at getting back to the XB. I've kept it registered for years (at $600 a pop) even though it may get driven a massive 6 times a year. I've heard about a couple of options for cheaper registration, such as getting it registered as a special purpose vehicle (haven't found any more info on this), or via the club permit scheme with red plates.

Now being part of a club sounds appealing because then you can meet up with other like-minded people, but I was after suggestions. There was the Victorian Historic Racer club, but their requirements for red plates appear to include the car not differing too much from stock. I've got a toughened 5 speed and a stroked V8, and plan on the interior being very different from stock.

Sooo, any ideas? Or do I join whatever car club and keep forking out $600 on rego?

-Steven

(There really needs to be some sort of bulk-registration discount... I can't drive more than 1 vehicle at a time, even if I do own a bike, car, project car, etc.)

1point21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car clubs and red plates

I believe there is a vintage car Rego. My brother was looking into it. You can only drive the car 90 days a year which sounds like enough. Not sure how he went with it but worth a look
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what state are you in? the 90 scheme is in in VIC and I think its either close or in in SA but NSW still has the old H plate system

either way you need to be a member of a club,

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Try here.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...lubPermits.htm
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

A lot of the clubs will require you to serve some sort of "qualification" period. We don't subscribe to the club permit scheme but we have a close association to a club that does, namely the Falcon Cobra Club. Most of our members on club plates go through them.

They require you to be a financial and active member of the club for a minimum of 12 months then you may be granted access to the club permit scheme. You need a RWC to do so.

Most of the clubs have this requirement. The clubs don't want people joining up just to access the scheme then never be seen again, it adds nothing to the club and they just get used up.

The Vic Gov't are happy for the individual clubs to administer the scheme but if there's too much funny business they could very easily remove control from the clubs and hand it over to VicRoads which is something you do not want!!

To the OP, in most cases you'll be up for one more years rego at least.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
1point21
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the replies (and yes, I'm in Vic ). It makes sense regarding being an active member. What if you're car's more project than others? Can you be active without bringing the car out each time?

It seems whenever I go out something else breaks. Last time it was the windscreen wipers (I started only driving in the dry as this is the 3rd time it's happened), the time before that the fuel gauge dropped past zero and hasn't worked since, etc.

And as for funny business - with hoon laws the way they are, and the fact the car needs more love than driving, if it is on the road then I'm doing strictly what's legal... although it might be too loud (haven't got around to the exhaust, the last owner must've loved the cabin droning but I can't say I'm a fan).

-Steven
1point21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post