Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Election today - Don't forget to vote

Hopefully you don't think of elections as too much of a burden. A lot of people on this planet do not get the opportunity to participate in a democracy like we do, so take advantage of it and have your say!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: Election today - Don't forget to vote

Wha,....Who?........ Where.......... Why???

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going now, only reason we go early is so I can get a kransky at the sausage sizzle before they run out
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I woke up this morning with an election
6 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Dont have to vote, not that it bothered me when i had to.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Did it nearly 2 weeks ago......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the extra polling booth in my area this fed election, the lines are not as long, which is good to see. It could also be because a lot of people have voted early this time.

Back in 2010, I went to vote at my nearest school and the line was right down the street.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Did it nearly 2 weeks ago......
same here

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Did it earlier this week, although with all this talk of sausage sizzles i think i short changed myself.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I voted to avoid a fine.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went and voted early this morning to get it out of the way. Funny thing happened when I got to the voting place...The goons were out there handing out their usual crap as they do on election day. Anyway, The liberals and the nationals shove their papers in my face and I say "Not interested in yours I'm only after a labor one" Then the liberal bloke said "Go on then waste your vote".
WTF??? Talk about being a knob head!
5 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unreal isn't it they say if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. well we used to pay peanuts and we got nation building polly's. now we pay outrageous money and the useless p#@k's need a committee and advisers just to peel a banana!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a depressing day.

Just hoping some independents and minor parties have some success to keep the policies closer to the political centre rather than the extreme right.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Voted for Nick Fury because Australia needs more Avengers
Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
I voted to avoid a fine.
I thought we lived in a free country? That doesn't sound very free to me lol
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

At least voting is not compulsory in NZ, your poor buggers having to do it or be faced with being fined, but I do have to say, if you don't vote, don't complain!!!!
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'm waiting as long as I can, to avoid the morons at the gate.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Voting is a pain in the *** to go and do and most the time we have no faith in those running, but to avoid voting or do a donkey vote and then whinge about they way the country is run is just pathetic, we all get a say in how it's run so use it

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
4 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree but if you truly believe both sides will run the country just as bad as each other then whether you vote or not you'll still be complaining. Complaining about the parties is pointless when the system itself is what's broken.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
I agree but if you truly believe both sides will run the country just as bad as each other then whether you vote or not you'll still be complaining. Complaining about the parties is pointless when the system itself is what's broken.
I hear people complain about the "broken system" all the time. But exactly what part of the system is broken? 95% of people don't control their own preferences and just vote above the line on the senate ballot paper and blindly follow the "how to vote" cards handed out by parties on the day. Then people complain when elections are determined by dodgy preference deals! People complain about the 2-party system, and then we get a hung parliament with the major parties needing to negotiate with minors and independents and people complain about that instead!

So what part of the system is broken? Perhaps the system is not broken at all... Perhaps the problem lies with people not being prepared to give more than a fleeting thought to who they may vote for.

That's not to say that I don't think we need electoral reform. I am happy to keep a system of compulsory voting, but with some amendments. I would like to see the introduction of partial preferential voting, more stringent requirements to run for the senate and a limiting cap on the number of senate parties that can run (dependent on the amount of public support each party can garner). I would also like to see above the line voting abolished and senate donkey votes automatically discarded. I would like to see parties be required to provide a short dot-point list of key policies in plain boring Ariel text for display in the actual polling booth on the day to make it easier for people to determine their preferences. These suggestions may need some work or tweaking, but I think we at least need to start having a discussion about it.

In terms of party policy platforms, I'm personally not happy with either party (for different reasons) because I don't feel well represented by either and I complain about that... but it strikes me that many people just complain when their party loses. At the end of the day, if the party that I vote for doesn't win, I'm OK with that... All I want to see is a truly representative democracy.

Last edited by karj; 07-09-2013 at 07:20 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Accountability - seems the public nor the politicians want to know about it.

See I believe they are all ******, I make my vote but I don't complain because the other side would do something else that would **** me off so I wouldn't win either way.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
BHDOGS
Banned

Nobody is gonna sit there and mark 64 boxes it's a crock of **** and they know that they won't change **** and **** will stay the same the biggest problem with the system is it can't be changed except by the parties who wanna keep it the same the system is a broken piece of ****
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Nobody is gonna sit there and mark 64 boxes it's a crock of **** and they know that they won't change **** and **** will stay the same the biggest problem with the system is it can't be changed except by the parties who wanna keep it the same the system is a broken piece of ****

65? I marked 97

I took the couple of minutes to do this as I did not know for sure where the preference votes from the small party I voted for would go, so I wanted to make sure they did not go to a party that I did not want running the country

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ballot paper looked like it needed dicks drawn all over it, so that's what it got
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
My ballot paper looked like it needed dicks drawn all over it, so that's what it got
If you paid enough attention you would of realised that under all the boxes there were quite a few dicks printed on the paper already
5 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #26
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I went to the effort of voting below the line. I wanted to vote for AMEP in the senate and the distribute my own preferences. It only took 5 minutes, no big deal for me. But then I relish the chance to have my say on election day.

BTW, the AMEP had a good showing at my polling both. They had a pro-charged Camaro with the bonnet open and decked out.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I went to the effort of voting below the line. I wanted to vote for AMEP in the senate and the distribute my own preferences. It only took 5 minutes, no big deal for me. But then I relish the chance to have my say on election day.

BTW, the AMEP had a good showing at my polling both. They had a pro-charged Camaro with the bonnet open and decked out.
It's good that you filled in the ballor paper below the line, but if it only took you 5 minutes to distribute senate preferences, you either have a very thorough understanding of all the minor parties or you're doing it wrong... or I'm doing it wrong lol. It took me about 2 and a half hours to research all the parties and decide how to distribute senate preferences (which I obviously did well before I went into the polling booth).
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post
It's good that you filled in the ballor paper below the line, but if it only took you 5 minutes to distribute senate preferences, you either have a very thorough understanding of all the minor parties or you're doing it wrong... or I'm doing it wrong lol. It took me about 2 and a half hours to research all the parties and decide how to distribute senate preferences (which I obviously did well before I went into the polling booth).
Nope, I only wanted to preference 2 minor parties, after that I went to the majors and it didn't matter after that.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Something I just found out that you can have fun with at the next Election.

You can vote in Roman numerals on a senate ballot paper, or a mixture of both Roman and Ordinary numbers.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #30
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Election day would have to be one of the worse days to be driving around.

Increased traffic levels over an average Saturday and many drivers are just oblivious to the traffic around them. Right lane, 15 km per hour under the limit seemed to be standard of the day.
Closed Thread