Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Default TOYOTA stops production in USA (Recall)

I'm sitting in the USA, just watched the news.

Toyota are stopping the production line of 8 models,
because of the throttle pedal, it jams up with floormats.

It only affects the US at this stage, and 8 models.
It also has a few years variance so it's not just off the line
vehicles either.

Not a good way to start the year.

Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could they just ditch the floor mats or is it the carpet thats the issue.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something tells me it's not just the floor mats - perhaps that was just Toyota trying to play it down.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Something tells me it's not just the floor mats - perhaps that was just Toyota trying to play it down.
my info is that is a bcm problem, which could cost billions to fix/retrofit.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't most toyota's have fly by wire setup for throttles now?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
don't most toyota's have fly by wire setup for throttles now?
yep thats why i tend to beleive the info i got.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Expect the mother-of-all lawsuits later this year. People have died from this problem.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Expect the mother-of-all lawsuits later this year. People have died from this problem.
Fair dinkum , that would explain the need to stop production.
People taking care of toyota's damage control should get prepared to work some overtime.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Some interesting stories on the runaway Toyotas, http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyotas
Old 27-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

From the link Cam provided...

Quote:
In the most tragic incident, on the day after Christmas, four people died in Southlake, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, when a 2008 Toyota sped off the road, through a fence and landed upside down in a pond. The car's floor mats were found in the trunk of the car, where owners had been advised to put them as part of the recall.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
mowog
Discovery 4

Another link

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/26/b...lected-models/

Clearly Quality engineering is at work here...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Is this issue confined to the US or worldwide??

Edit: just re-read it's confined to the us. Though I fail to see how the designs would be different here or elsewere.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Is this issue confined to the US or worldwide??

Edit: just re-read it's confined to the us. Though I fail to see how the designs would be different here or elsewere.
I think that we may well find out sooner or later that its not just confined to the US (especially if it turns out to be an electronic problem). I've heard an unconfirmed report that the problem has surfaced in Europe? I pray that it is a US only problem as so many people that I know (including myself) drive these vehicles at work.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
fg_nitro

This is as bad as the Firestone Tyre issue with the explorers in the U.S.

I don't care much for Toyota but I do hope no more people die driving the damn things?

Would this effect equipment built in Australia?
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

So the mighty Toyota juggernaut is still a mere mortal after all. I do hope no more lives are lost from this oversight.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

FORD and another car company are offering a 0% finance offer, on trade in's on Toyota's, in order to get business. LOL!

Hmmmm, Toyota must have a crap load of knives in it's back.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It effects Toyotas in Europe and China also.
Only reason why I can think it doesnt effect Aussie ones is because of RHD differences.

But Toyota has a habit of ignoring Australia in regards to recalls
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #18
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard about this going back a month or so. I was wondering how long it would be before this thread appeared. Some of the phone calls to 911 relating to this issue, and how people handled it (i.e. the driver) is beyond belief. Didn't anyone think of clutching the car or putting the transmission in neutral and applying the brakes? I feel really sorry for the people who lost their lives but geez, how could you not contemplate doing simple things like the ones I've suggested. Even Toyota have advised their customers to disengage the transmission and apply the brakes if the throttle sticks.

This will be a major issue for Toyota me thinks. It's a Firestone/Ford Explorer debacle of epic proportions.
Old 30-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I have been following this since it broke. There have been over 200 accidents and 19 deaths. There have been more than 2,000 incidents of this happening. Also, the pedal was suspect to be defective (without regard to the floor mat) back in November, and even back to 2007 with the Tundra.

Toyota is reporting that the pedal in cars with Drive by Wire are wearing and this causes the engine to return to idle slower than normal. Evidently it also causes acceleration as well. The pedal is produced in Canada by a company based in the US.

There are already class action lawsuits in the works. Toyota was told to stop producing unsafe vehicles until they have a fix for it by a Government agency. Toyota likes to report they took the bold step to stop production when instead they were told they HAD to stop production.

I believe this will be even bigger than the Firestone tire issue with Ford because Toyota has a loftier height to fall from. Everyone expected Ford to have problems but so many Americans feel Toyota can do no wrong.

I am interested to see if the pedal problem results from a manufacturing defect (part vendor issue) or an inherent design flaw (Toyota design flaw).

You can find tons of articles about this by doing a Google search for "Toyota drive by wire recall."

As a Ford employee I just hope that this issue gets an equal amount of media coverage as Ford did with the Firestone tire issue.

I too hope no one else gets put in danger while experiencing such an occurance.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

So toyota have been told to stop producing cars by the very same government that has a financial interest in one of its biggest competitors....free market economy my (another word for donkey)
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've expected Toyota's quality to go down hill bigtime, they have expanded so fast that they have had a mass of engineering jobs they just could not get qualified engineers to fill, so corners are being cut and workloads on existing engineers is increasing.

Now the cracks are starting to appear, and its only going to get worse for them.

And FYI, there are 2 seperate problems here, one is for floor mats sticking under the throttle, and the second one is for sticking throttle pedals that don't fully return to the off position.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Haha Toyota's dodgy quality is effecting Ford Transit vans in China.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/55108/fo...-pedal-issues/

Quote:
Ford Transit production in China also stopped due to pedal issues

January 30, 2010 by Karl Peskett

It seems that Toyota’s recall issues now extend to other brands, including Ford. CTS Corp, which supplies the accelerator pedals involved in the latest Toyota recalls, also supplies Ford in China for its Transit Classic van.

Toyota says that it is recalling 75,000 cars in China for the same issue, while Ford’s CEO, Alan Mulally, told USA Today that the company is performing due diligence.

“When anybody has an issue in the industry, we check everything about the Ford system and production process,” said Mr Mulally. “It’s our assessment right now that this is very isolated.”

Around 1600 Transits are thought to be affected, but Toyota’s woes also include an unspecified number of vehicles in Europe to be recalled, mostly the RAV4.

CarAdvice will keep you updated as this issue progresses.
Old 30-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Toyota have a solution to the pedal problem, seems shims are to be installed to alleviate any problems.
Funny thing is changed versions of the pedals are now being sent directly to factories but not to dealers,
Toyota expects to have production rolling again by the third week in February, I wonder how dealers will fare....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

While it is not good for Toyota having this problem, there are other manufacturers out there that have their fair share of "mechanical defects" tha can potentially cause loss of life.

There are 2 other manufacturers just off the top of my head that had a brake problem. Do we avoid them?

I'm sure Toyota will fix the problem and will come back blowing their trumpets loud and clear.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #25
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
So toyota have been told to stop producing cars by the very same government that has a financial interest in one of its biggest competitors....free market economy my (another word for donkey)
Your inference is incorrect. The National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires any manufacturer to stop production of a vehicle when a known part to be defective to the point of endangering lives is involved. This same thing has happened to the Big3 over the course of history.

Toyota knew that the floor mats were not the only problem when that issue arrose. You can find articles dated back to October and November that reference a drive by wire issue as well as the pedal being suspect.

Quote:
Toyota have a solution to the pedal problem, seems shims are to be installed to alleviate any problems.
I don't know how these shims will fix the condensation problem that Toyota has said occurs in the pedal mechanism in conjumction with the AC/heating system blowing on the pedal.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 31-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #26
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Haha Toyota's dodgy quality is effecting Ford Transit vans in China.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/55108/fo...-pedal-issues/

The pedal on 1,600 Transits, built in China for China use only, is merely from the same pedal manufacturer, it is NOT the same pedal. Ford always checks when someone has a recall that any of their parts have anything in common, and in this case it was that 1,600 pedals in China are from the same parts vendor. Ford is checking to see if the problem is related to a manufacturing defect or a Toyota design flaw, compared to the pedal that Ford used on these vehicles.

....but the media appreicates your spin.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 31-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.theage.com.au/business/to...0130-n5g5.html

Quote:
Toyota recall hits 7.7m cars worldwide
BRUSSELS
January 31, 2010

JAPANESE automaker Toyota has ordered a new mass recall, pulling up to 1.8 million vehicles from Europe, as rival Honda recalled 646,000 of its cars worldwide.

The latest in a series of recalls, which has now hit almost eight million Toyota cars worldwide, was again due to an accelerator problem and covered eight separate models and dates ranging back to February 2005.

Toyota said yesterday that Australian customers were not affected. Honda Australia was not available for comment.

The recall is equivalent to Toyota's entire worldwide sales last year of 7.81 million vehicles.

''The precise number of involved units is still under investigation but may reach up to 1.8 million vehicles,'' Toyota said on the new European recall.

Meanwhile, Honda's worldwide recall, due to a window switch problem, affects Fit/Jazz cars made between 2002 and 2008 in Japan, China, Brazil, Thailand, Malaysia and India.

Honda said that about 10 per cent of its recalled cars would need a replacement switch to prevent overheating and potential fire.

The Toyota models involved are the AYGO, iQ, Yaris, Auris, Corolla, Verso, Avensis and RAV4 series. The company was at pains to state its luxury Lexus models were unaffected.

''We understand that the current situation is creating concerns and we deeply regret it,'' said Tadashi Arashima, president and chief executive of Toyota Motor Europe.

Toyota said parts supplier CTS had begun making pedals based on a new design that resolved the problem and the two firms were testing a remedy.

Toyota's woes went into overdrive last week when it announced a recall of 2.3 million cars in the US due to safety fears related to accelerator pedals. It is also recalling almost 5.3 million US vehicles to replace floor mats that could trap accelerator pedals.

Toyota spokesman Etienne Plas said that ''at least 1.7 million'' of the cars already recalled outside Europe potentially suffered from both problems.

Taking that and the latest European recall into account, that left the total number of vehicles pulled worldwide at 7.7 million.

Toyota, which overtook General Motors in 2008 as the world's top-selling carmaker, has been bedevilled by safety issues that raised questions about whether it has sacrificed quality for quantity.

The company's shares fell on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Friday, closing down 1.96 per cent, having plunged about 14 per cent last week.

AFP
Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #28
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wonder if the old people are still going to buy toyotas coz they'r so reliable??
seriously tho anytime lives are put in danger from faulty parts is a worry
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ohh what a feeling !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/55285/to...-remedy-today/

Quote:
Toyota to reveal recall remedy today
February 1, 2010 by Tim Beissmann

Toyota is expected to reveal the details of the remedy for its sticking accelerator recall in the US today after finding a solution that has satisfied safety regulators.

Toyota said on Saturday it was in the final stages after reviewing the pedal problem and a solution with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and receiving no objections. Technically, the NHTSA is not responsible for approving repairs but can disapprove them if it considers the repairs inadequate.

An unnamed source close to the fix said the remedy developed by Toyota and pedal supplier CTS Corp involves a spacer that will be placed in the accelerator to combat the sticking. Affected pedals have been found to return slowly to idle position after being pressed and can even get stuck down with age.

Toyota is also developing a new component to be fitted on the assembly lines of its new cars that are yet to leave the factory. Last week Toyota confirmed the production of eight models in North America will be ceased for one week beginning today.

As the story continues to unfold, US government officials have revealed that unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles is suspected of causing crashes that have led to 19 deaths since 2000.
(with Reuters)