Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #121
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Very interesting time ahead, maybe interesting is not the word.... possibly scarey ???
I wonder if it will mean ALL divsions of GM would be effected ? ie Holden ??
Could be some bargains to be had if they liquidate everything ????
Someone said you can still buy a brand new '07 plated Mitsu 380 fro 15k ???
Wonder if a similar thing will happen with GM cars ????

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #122
ohzone
Dent Removal

I was told by the Head of the Service Department of the Holden Dealership that I do work for that last weekend that they had their links to the main Servers in the US shut down for a number of hours while they transferred all info for the Asian region to Servers in Singapore where everything in Australasia to do with servicing is now being run.
He also said we may end up with a Two company situation one Old GM with all it's liabilities and one New GM, leaner and restructured without the liabilities.

I have no idea if he is correct, but it does sound like change is coming soon
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #123
Bossxr8
Peter Car

No mention of keeping Pontiac. Could be goodbye to the G8, another kick in the nads for Holden. Go better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #124
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohzone
I was told by the Head of the Service Department of the Holden Dealership that I do work for that last weekend that they had their links to the main Servers in the US shut down for a number of hours while they transferred all info for the Asian region to Servers in Singapore where everything in Australasia to do with servicing is now being run.
He also said we may end up with a Two company situation one Old GM with all it's liabilities and one New GM, leaner and restructured without the liabilities.

I have no idea if he is correct, but it does sound like change is coming soon
Maybe GM is transferring all trademarks and blueprints to HQ. They supposedly bought all of Opels patents and said they would pay them for it, then they decided to try to sell Opel, didn't pay them for the patents, made Opel pay a fee to use them, and will probably try to sell the patents back to the new owners of Opel. Treachery afoot.
Old 18-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #125
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Maybe GM is transferring all trademarks and blueprints to HQ. They supposedly bought all of Opels patents and said they would pay them for it, then they decided to try to sell Opel, didn't pay them for the patents, made Opel pay a fee to use them, and will probably try to sell the patents back to the new owners of Opel. Treachery afoot.
Quote from the age 22/8/2005.
"The GM Holden profit of $335 million for 2004 was boosted by a $170 million abnormal gain on the sale to parent company General Motors of intellectual property, believed to be the design for the Zeta platform that will underpin the next Commodore."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...562751761.html [Last paragraph.]
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #126
SA_GT
SA Fairmont GT

Default Not good for any car part suppliers, even FORD!

May I suggest the overflow of any potential bankruptcy will flow on to part suppliers and creditors which will in turn hurt Ford and its subsidiary companies throughout the world? It would seem the only profitable arms of GM are in China and Australia. Yikes.
Old 18-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #127
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The question is will GM keep Holden?

I would of thought they would but in all reports they never seem to mention anything about Holden. Only Vauxhall, Opel and the American brands.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #128
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_GT
May I suggest the overflow of any potential bankruptcy will flow on to part suppliers and creditors which will in turn hurt Ford and its subsidiary companies throughout the world? It would seem the only profitable arms of GM are in China and Australia. Yikes.
Holden aren't profitable...

Haven't been since 2004 I think..
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #129
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Holden aren't profitable...

Haven't been since 2004 I think..
but they do a crapload of engineering for gm global (ie Zeta) and global engines in melbourne so it kinda cancels out the non profitable bit...

the global engineering is what may save holden
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #130
SA_GT
SA Fairmont GT

That is a fair comment Barraxr8 however, compared to the parent Company (GM) which has posted a net loss for nearly 10 years! I would have to think they are performing rather well. Anyway, my point is, it will have a negative impact on Ford Australia in some way or another.
Old 18-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #131
SA_GT
SA Fairmont GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
but they do a crapload of engineering for gm global (ie Zeta) and global engines in melbourne so it kinda cancels out the non profitable bit...

thanks LUXO_8, that is a very valid point. :
Old 18-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #132
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:

The thing is, the Zeta platform is done now so is Holden really doing anymore engineering for GM atm?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #133
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Global GM Platforms are dead now it seems.

It all boils down to the bottom line...

Holden aren't making money, GM are in real strife, you do the maths.....
Old 18-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #134
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
The thing is, the Zeta platform is done now so is Holden really doing anymore engineering for GM atm?
Nope....
Old 18-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #135
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
That's true, JFK tried to change this and we all know what happened to him!

The "financial crisis" has been engineered over many decades in order to bring in a global currency and a NWO (New World Order).

Don't believe me?...watch this.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=26349776
There is ALREADY one global currency. Gold. If you don't want your $$$ to depreciate, buy gold. But we digress...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #136
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_GT
That is a fair comment Barraxr8 however, compared to the parent Company (GM) which has posted a net loss for nearly 10 years! I would have to think they are performing rather well. Anyway, my point is, it will have a negative impact on Ford Australia in some way or another.
If you think Holden are performing well then you really have no clue. They are in big trouble. They can no longer go to GM to get funding anymore, the same reason why they couldn't give redundancies to all the extra workers they now no longer need, and they had to go to plan B and have them work one week on, one week off. They would not pay all these excess workers if GM didn't knock back their request for the money to pay for redundancy packages. The story they were doing it to save jobs was a load of crap. They wouldn't pay workers they didn't need if they didn't have too.

At least Ford Australia can still get money off Ford HQ to pay redundancies like they did last November.
Old 19-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #137
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
Quote from the age 22/8/2005.
"The GM Holden profit of $335 million for 2004 was boosted by a $170 million abnormal gain on the sale to parent company General Motors of intellectual property, believed to be the design for the Zeta platform that will underpin the next Commodore."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...562751761.html [Last paragraph.]
I wonder if they have Holden now paying a fee to use the intellectual property like they are doing with Opel. If they do sell Holden off they will gladly charge a packet for the IP.
Old 19-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #138
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
There is ALREADY one global currency. Gold. If you don't want your $$$ to depreciate, buy gold. But we digress...
Both GM & Ford were taking Cereal Crops for payment a while ago. Anything of value is a true currency.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #139
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I wonder if they have Holden now paying a fee to use the intellectual property like they are doing with Opel. If they do sell Holden off they will gladly charge a packet for the IP.
Holden will definately be paying licencing fees back to the US. It also looks like GM have mortgaged the patents to the US treasury.

How GM Destroyed Opel
Pretty damning indictment in today's Die Welt by an "anonymous insider" about how parent company General Motors hollowed out it's successful German subsidiary. According to this account, GM confiscated Opel's valuable patents and designs and then forced the German company to pay outrageous "licensing fees" back to Detroit:

Jetzt liegen unsere Patente also bei GM, und für jedes Auto, das wir bauen, zahlen wir Gebühren an die. Muss ich erwähnen, dass Opel nie einen Cent für seine Patente gesehen hat? (So now our patents are at GM and we pay a fee to them for every car we produce. Do I have to point out that Opel never saw one cent for its patents?)

Die saugen uns aus, die fressen uns leer. Allein im letzten Jahr haben wir an GM 650 Millionen Euro überwiesen. Wofür? Nur für Gebühren von unseren eigenen Patenten. (They suck us dry, they chew us down to the bone. Last year alone we transferred $650 million Euros to GM. What for? Just for fees on our own patents.)

These Opel patents were also cited by Chancellor Angela Merkel as a reason for not approving a massive bailout of the German automaker. Without the patents what real value does Opel have? It was thought that these patents had been pledged as collateral to the US Dept. of Treasury for the Bailout package in the US. Now GM denies this:
http://www.dialoginternational.com/d...oyed-opel.html

GM Says Opel Patents 'Available' To Any New Owner {11/3/2009
GM said patents for all of its brands, belong to a U.S.-based division of the company called the Global Technology Organization.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel cited the uncertainty over the patent ownership in an interview Wednesday with Bild, a daily newspaper. She also said any commitment to aid the auto maker hinged on what level independence an Opel with new investors would have from GM.
A German official last week told Dow Jones Newswires that GM doesn't own Opel patents following the sale of the rights to the U.S. Treasury, adding that the company aimed to repurchase them at a later stage.
GM's Preuss declined to comment on whether GM has put up any of its patents up as collateral for the U.S. government loans keeping GM afloat.
However, he said GM would ensure any new majority shareholder in Opel would have access to the intellectual property
http://www.easybourse.com/bourse-act...4421052-632164
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #140
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Gold price fluctuates just like exchange rates.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #141
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
the value in gold is inflated just the same as everything else, a large percentage of it only holds paper worth and is effectively a another version of a scheme that has been used to a somewhat successful extent in recent times

if you were to buy gold stock and then asked for the tangible physical value/worth of "your" gold you would not/do not receive it, just a certificate - hence the term paper gold.

sooner or later (in the next 24-36 months) it will correct to its true worth - i'm picking sooner, it has already peaked and is now in a downward trend.
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #142
z80
Banned

My opinion, based on living through 5 recessions.....

Holden will be in trouble whithin 12 months.
Ford and Toyota will scale back.
Ford will be a body stamping operation at best in 5 years.
Unemployment will hit dizzy heights in 2010.

Talk to anyone who has just come from Europe.

The only reason we haven't noticed is because China is stockpiling ore cause the price is cheap.

When it all stops...it will make your head spin.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #143
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
They already have concrete plans to build Focus?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #144
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

The only reason we haven't noticed is because China is stockpiling ore cause the price is cheap.

I agree, this is on the money.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #145
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Gold price fluctuates just like exchange rates.
But keep in mind if the world economy collapses, gold (and silver to a lesser extent) will be the ONLY currency to buy thing's with.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #146
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
But keep in mind if the world economy collapses, gold (and silver to a lesser extent) will be the ONLY currency to buy thing's with.
LOL no

Go into a store with 0.01ounce of gold and try to buy a mars bar, it just won't happen.

If you think this is the case you sir are an ignoramus.
Old 22-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #147
mikmak

lol. Piotr. When the value of the US Dollar crashes, Bent8 will be rolling in mars bars, whereas everyone else (whom has no gold) will be using green backs as tallyhos.
Old 22-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #148
mikmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

Either you're 75+ or there isn't much you remember about the 60-61 recession. What on earth contributed to your assessment of Ford being a stamping operation in 5 years?
+ after the recession...erm, recedes, there will still be a great demand for energy and ore. I would imagine that in 2010, there may well be high unemployment, but we should well and truly be in a trough by then.
Old 22-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #149
mikmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Global GM Platforms are dead now it seems.

It all boils down to the bottom line...

Holden aren't making money, GM are in real strife, you do the maths.....
Global GM platforms are dead? :

I'm assuming you may be talking about the Zeta platform, in which case it is on its last legs (perhaps 2013) but may be replaced by a more flexible Alpha platform.

Aside from that, there is also the Delta platform which the next big global platform from GM (Astra, Cruze, Australian Variant and Volt/Ampera/Converj etc.). Considering it is being developed to compete in the same market as Focus, it will probably have a small SUV and Wagon to go along with the Sedan and Hatch already developed.

No one knows what will be built locally, but the plan is to have it support regional versions such as the Cruze from SK (built by GM Daewoo of which Holden owns 42.2%).

The intellectual property rights for Zeta are included as part of the assets detailed to the US Senate in GMs contract for receiving funds.

If/when (getting more likely to be when) GM enters bankruptcy, the ongoing debts leveraged against GM will be shouldered onto the list of crap that will be left behind.

Remember, the US are essentially buying controlling interest in General Motors. At the end of the process, it is in the interests of their majority shareholders (American Tax Payers by proxy), that the US Feds retain as much money making operations as possible, to ensure a return on their investment. Holden is already restructuring (though it will get tougher) , to ensure that they are a viable part of GMs future plans. The Australian Government has already made significant contribution to that cause by investing in the local production of a Delta variant.

Even if GM trips and falls in the toilet, it isn't going to vanish and neither is Holden. They will just be a whole lot leaner and Holden will be less dependant on a singular model line. It is essentially the same strategy being employed by Ford Aus. Either way, Holden and Ford are not liabilities to their parent companies and neither parent company really gives a about what Holden and Ford Aus do unless it costs them money.

Best selling vehicles can get near 1 million units in the US. Our volumes aren't big enough to even draw interest.
Old 22-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #150
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmak
Either you're 75+ or there isn't much you remember about the 60-61 recession. What on earth contributed to your assessment of Ford being a stamping operation in 5 years?
+ after the recession...erm, recedes, there will still be a great demand for energy and ore. I would imagine that in 2010, there may well be high unemployment, but we should well and truly be in a trough by then.
Like you I'm more upbeat about the future, It's not like the nation hasn't had them before:

1893-94
1914-15
1926 -27
1931-32
1942-43
1946-47
1961-62
1966-66
1969-70
1974-75
1982-83
1990 -91