Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
XR6Dan
Why??

Default The Invisible Door

This is cool - I wonder how long that took to make?

http://www.break.com/index/the-invisible-door.html

XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
falzoony
Rockin '67

Couldn't be safe if you smash into someone.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

looks cool, but wonder what the structural integrity is like.........
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
Couldn't be safe if you smash into someone.
Why not? you could do that with your own dor with minimal modification to the door itself.......

The door just slides under the car instead of opening outwards.

I cant see any reason at all why the structural integrity would be affected by this
Old 18-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
Why not? you could do that with your own dor with minimal modification to the door itself.......

The door just slides under the car instead of opening outwards.

I cant see any reason at all why the structural integrity would be affected by this
because its not just a standard door....its the whole side of the car.....

both front and rear doors and the B pillar have been scrapped in favour of this single door
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is pretty cool.
Definitely different anyway
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a cool door, Imagine picking up a date at the pub that turned out to be a fizzer ? just wind down the door as you take a spirited corner, hit the seat belt latch, Bingo roll the door back up, keep driving and problem solvered.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imagin beeing half way out and the door malfunctions and shuts on you up between the legs

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8

both front and rear doors and the B pillar have been scrapped in favour of this single door
I have no idea what kind of car it is, but to me it looks no different to a standard coupe door when closed, and the framework behind where the door sits looks the same as Id expect to see if it were hinged at the front....In which case I wouldnt expect it to be any less safe
Old 18-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8

Blah blah blah mate you sound like whining old grandma that door is cool. Stuff the safety aspect think of it like riding a motorbike you aint got side impact safety crap on one of those so who cares its a cool mod
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 01:59 AM   #11
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
What a cool door, Imagine picking up a date at the pub that turned out to be a fizzer ? just wind down the door as you take a spirited corner, hit the seat belt latch, Bingo roll the door back up, keep driving and problem solvered.
Aaaaahhahaha, brilliant.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #12
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it was a fake. Look at the window and tell me how does a sheet of glass fold away.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #13
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH
I reckon it was a fake. Look at the window and tell me how does a sheet of glass fold away.
I thought it could be fake to. For a door not to bend, yet go under the car it'd surely hit the ground on the way, fold outwards more first, or have to cut into some of the floor?

Meh, i'm not fussed :P
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
cowboy
Cowboy

That's cool!
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #15
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjet
Blah blah blah mate you sound like whining old grandma that door is cool. Stuff the safety aspect think of it like riding a motorbike you aint got side impact safety crap on one of those so who cares its a cool mod
Well go buy a motorbike then. Cars have side impact zones for a reason.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
It doesnt fold at all. Theres a little trim piece at the bottom to cover the mechanical parts that just pulls out and flips over, then the window recesses into the door the same as it normaly would when you wind it down, and whole door just slides underneath the car in one piece (the same as a sliding door on a house recesses into the wall).

on the right car with the right shaped door, it wouldnt take too much effort to do this at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Well go buy a motorbike then. Cars have side impact zones for a reason.
In light of the above, if the door is standard other than the hingging, then it still has all the impact strength that it would have originaly had.

If its been modified (which may not have been necessary at all), then Id be inclined to think that anyone who had the enginuity to come up with an idea like that, and modify the door so seemlessly, that he probably would have also kept the "intrusion factor" in mind, and braced the door appropriateley

Last edited by robbo_yobbo; 21-07-2007 at 12:47 PM.
robbo_yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #17
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It doesnt fold at all. Theres a little trim piece at the bottom to cover the mechanical parts that just pulls out and flips over, then the window recesses into the door the same as it normaly would when you wind it down, and whole door just slides underneath the car in one piece (the same as a sliding door on a house recesses into the wall).

on the right car with the right shaped door, it wouldnt take too much effort to do this at all
You're missing the point...once the window is wound down in the video, the door folds away which means the window (a solid piece of glass) would have to fold at right angles to the car to be able to tuck away underneath it.

PREVIOUS RIDES
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
You're missing the point...once the window is wound down in the video, the door folds away which means the window (a solid piece of glass) would have to fold at right angles to the car to be able to tuck away underneath it.
Didnt you watch Criss Angel the other night he walked through a glass window

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The door would be under 10cm thick.

It is not an original door that has been tampered with, it's a skin with some framework and a window. The inside trim looks like just a plain cover, no detail or contours for handles or window winders / switches etc.

If it is legit, some serious modification has been done to the floorpan, but looking again at the video the door seems to slide under the car not within the body, so with some careful measurement and use of angles there is no reason why a 7cm thick door can be slid under a car that could have a clearance of 10 or so cm.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
No Im not, but the door does not FOLD away at all. yes the window winds down into the door, but then the whole door stays as one solid piece and slides beneath the car. There is no reason why it would have to fold at right angles at all - infact, if it was folded at right angles it woulld be like a triangular prism and wouldnt fit under the car.

The illusion you're creating for yourself is because of the little piece of trim at the bottom that flips, when this peice moves, its obviously creating the illusion for you that the door has folded (when it hasnt). Take another look, the trim at the base is seperate, and the door recesses beneath the car, the same way the window recesses into the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
The door would be under 10cm thick.

It is not an original door that has been tampered with, it's a skin with some framework and a window. The inside trim looks like just a plain cover, no detail or contours for handles or window winders / switches etc.
The inside skin says nothing as to weather or not the door is original or not, you can put a custom skin on any door to massiveley change the appearance with little work. The outer door handle may have just been removed and patched up with a small piece of sheetmetal and bog. Im not saying its either way, but theres just no way to know unless you know what he original looked like, and either is just as possible.

Theres no reason to think its fake at all

Last edited by robbo_yobbo; 21-07-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 21-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No Im not, but the door does not FOLD away at all. yes the window winds down into the door, but then the whole door stays as one solid piece and slides beneath the car. There is no reason why it would have to fold at right angles at all - infact, if it was folded at right angles it woulld be like a triangular prism and wouldnt fit under the car.

The illusion you're creating for yourself is because of the little piece of trim at the bottom that flips, when this peice moves, its obviously creating the illusion for you that the door has folded (when it hasnt). Take another look, the trim at the base is seperate, and the door recesses beneath the car, the same way the window recesses into the door.

Theres no reason to think its fake at all
Yes, I understand what you are saying but I suppose we can go round in circles with this debate indefinitely. I guess what I am saying is , to me at least, it doesn't matter what the door is made of or how to retracts/folds into the body and I think we would all agree you can get metal to bend ,warp & hinge into all sorts of shapes, I just cannot for the life of me see how you can bend, warp, contort, hinge or whatever you want to call it, a window pane into a tucked away section beneath the car and I remain steadfast on that until proven otherwise.

PREVIOUS RIDES
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #22
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

because it doesnt bend or fold at all, and neither does the door. just too be totaly clear, the glass does not bend. tomorow when ive had a few less beers, Im goinhg to draw a side on diagramm/pictograph, just so you can see the movements the door follows
Old 22-07-2007, 02:41 AM   #23
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yobbo Robbo is right here, that pane of glass is inside the door so to speak and the whole lot simply slides underneath, no bending or crimping of that door at all.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #24
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

actualy why wait, ill do it now, even drunken idiot can draw a picture of a recessing door.

see how I mean the door doesnt bend, green is the door, red is the glass, the whole thing is a dodgy rear view of the car
Attached Images
File Type: gif cars.GIF (3.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 22-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #25
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know what the diagram is supposed to prove other than your argument, but that's exactly where it's flawed. I do understand what you mean..the door isn't bent or hinged, it folds away underneath the car in an arc, right? Do this experiment yourself, for the door to arc and swing underneath the car you would firstly have a curved framework or track for the door to follow. If that's the case the door will have to drop below the floor level by approx half it's height to enable 2 things...firstly so the door doesn't swing outside the line of the car and 2nd, the door must have sufficient clearance to clear the floorpan of the car. To test this theory, simply get a piece of paper, hold a pen vertically at the bottom right edge of the sheet of paper to represent the car door and swing the pen on it's axis and see how far you have to drop the pen down the sheet before you get enough clearance inside and outside the paper.

PREVIOUS RIDES
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #26
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
That is pretty cool.
Definitely different anyway
Agreed! Always good to be thinking of something new.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #27
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
I don't know what the diagram is supposed to prove other than your argument, but that's exactly where it's flawed. I do understand what you mean..the door isn't bent or hinged, it folds away underneath the car in an arc, right? Do this experiment yourself, for the door to arc and swing underneath the car you would firstly have a curved framework or track for the door to follow. If that's the case the door will have to drop below the floor level by approx half it's height to enable 2 things...firstly so the door doesn't swing outside the line of the car and 2nd, the door must have sufficient clearance to clear the floorpan of the car. To test this theory, simply get a piece of paper, hold a pen vertically at the bottom right edge of the sheet of paper to represent the car door and swing the pen on it's axis and see how far you have to drop the pen down the sheet before you get enough clearance inside and outside the paper.
DUUUUUDE

I drew the diagram for a reason.

If I was trying to show an arc, I would have drawn a curved line.

But I didnt, I drew a STRAIGHT LINE, meaning NO ARC, NO CURVE, just a FLAT DOOR.

Now even still, I would imagine the door (as do most doors) would be slightly curved any way, as would be the window which changes nothing.

THE DOOR DOES NOT CURVE!!!! the base of the door pulls in a little after the trim drops and flips, this allows enough room for the base to slide towards the center of the car (WITHOUT CHANGING THE SHAPE OF THE DOOR)

I have a zoomed in pic of the working pieces in action (just because the first picture show was so good, lol)

You must be yanking my chane right? you cant realy still not understand????
Attached Images
File Type: gif cars2.GIF (2.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 22-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #28
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

And another drawing just incase you still dont get it.......

Here we se one of the many possibilities as to how motion and horizontal/vertical positioning of a flat object can be controlled without changing its shape, just by using a few flat tracks, arms, gears, chains, motors, rope, string, pulleys, Anything!. By using single pin-points and arms like this, you could have a track of almost any shape and make the door move in all sorts of patterns (out, in, up, down, on a curve, flat, follow a wiggly line, etc).

Now in all reality, the door would actualy be slightly arced anyway, and as would the window (as it is on most cars), combine this action with the little piece of trim that drops out allowing the base of the door to move in before moving under and you get the door to recess under withouth the top of the door needing to move outwards.

NO BEND, NO ARC, NO CURVE. and theres more than one way to do this
Attached Images
File Type: gif door frame.GIF (3.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 22-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #29
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I'm not DUUDE, nor am I yanking your chain. If you can't have a spirited discussion without getting personal don't bother posting. At no stage did I say the door had to be curved, I said the track had to be curved for the door to follow it. According to both of your images it shows the door outside the line of the car. A simplistic drawing like that doesn't prove your theory will work. In the video, the flaps that opens below the floor looks to be about 6-8 inches lower than the floorpan..agreed? The door can't possibly swing into the space in such a short distance without folding or the door swinging outside the line of the car first.

PREVIOUS RIDES
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by JAJH; 22-07-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 22-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

dude, I call everyone dude (just like you made the refference of 'mate'), nothing personal about it, its no biggie.
but, yes it can if the bottom pulls in. The further towards the car the bottom of the door can be pulled, the less clearance it needs from the ground. The further down the door goes, the less it needs to be pulled in.
The door cuts into the most space when its exactly at the half way point.
The more 'arc' there is to the shape of the door, the less it needs to be pulled inwards, and the less space it needs to cut into.

the purple in the image shows the position of the door to a wall+ground to give a referance to show clearance.
The very simplistic drawing shows that this movement is possible on a perfectly flat pane.
so a real life curved door, with a little more thought into the positioning of the mechanics of it all, would make it very possible to achieve with even less clearance.

After re-watching the vid, I also noticed he didnt do a very good job on the door anyway, as the material on his door lining gets caught up on the way down and screws up his trim. Just more evidence that its real, as if he faked the vid, why would he fake this???.

To me it looks like the door drops beneath the car. Maybe Ill use a little more advanced program then paint for this drawing
Attached Images
File Type: gif carcarcar.GIF (10.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by robbo_yobbo; 22-07-2007 at 02:32 PM.