Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Default Car show elitists

Attended a car show today, not a competitive one, but still a decent sized show for up here.

Now, something that irks me is the number of people with rare and desirable cars who restore them to the nth degree, keep them in a climate controlled bubble and only get them out to drool over in a semi narcotic stupor......

Why? Because the snobs and elitists have driven up the prices of the cars that I and many others would dearly love to own, drive and enjoy, not just look at.... I have no problem telling such people that, in all honesty, they deserve to be stripped of thier cars, simply because if you dont use something in the way it was intended, you can never appreciate its true value and you have no right to deprive someone else of that pleasure.

Dont get me started on the "investment" type people.....

To give you an idea, one lady was there with her (and her husbands) XW GT, very well presented and restored to a standard which seemed to me to be better than new, everything that should be cad plated was nice and shiny, nothing showed any signs of corrosion, and there she was, out with a spray bottle and cloth cleaning what looked good enough to eat off already.....

My god she got cranky when I asked her why she'd gone to such efforts, only to use a non genuine ryco oil filter.....

Part of her tirade even included a shot at me having the gall to comment when I was wearing a Holden shirt..... The look on her face was priceless when I told her that like her, I owned a Ford, but I work for holden, and I was wearing the shirt to get under the skin of people like her!

What disgusted me more than anything have been the times I've been asked (while looking over an EB GT) if I either wanted one, or if I wished I'd bought one instead...... Instead of what? a GT? why on earth would I want one? I've attended that same show each time since it was started in 2007, and EVERY time, I've had the ONLY Sprint there!

Knowing that I was going to have to contend with such people, and that my car, courtesy of its regular use and high mileage has more than its share of bumps and scratches, I didnt intend on displaying my car, but changed my mind on friday night with a decision to display it with a notice that was worded as a cheap shot at anyone who didnt drive thier vehicles regularly.

Tattered and scarred,
Far from pristine
Before you today
Is no garage queen

If you think it neglected
You might be forgiven
Unlike some nearby
It is daily driven

Of polish and trophies
It hasn't a care
Just give it the highway
Its home is out there.

Suprisingly enough, I recieved more than a few positive comments!

fwiw, take one EB GT from the number that was there, I'm pretty certain my Sprint has done more K's than all of the GT's colelctively.... only one of them I know has been used as a daily driver, and has clocked up well over 200,000km

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

So whats you problem. You obviously went there intending to put people off by what you where wearing, and from what else you wrote in your thread you sound a little jealous of them.
Simple don't go to car shows if you don't like the people who own the cars, you are going there to see.

Also just out of curiosity what did you expect her to say in return to your comment about the oil filter?? or was it just to bait her.

Last edited by BJ; 02-05-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

What is so wrong with having a car that doesnt get driven much. I have within the last week put my ba xr8 ute away in the garage and it now only gets out on weekends. Mainly for the reason I am sick of driving it everyday and coming home with a new stone chip or scratch on it and want to keep it looking better and make it more enjoyable to drive when I do get in it. Boo hoo for you if you think every single car needs to be a daily. Would you attend a car show that was full of busted up daily's, you'd probably have a whinge about that too

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you attend a car show with the sole purpose of baiting and annoying car owners by criticising their cars, their interest in them and how they care for and use them??

Car shows would be better off without people like you...

Judging by your attitude and behaviour you're lucky someone didnt pop you in the mouth.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what if they get their enjoyment out of keeping their car in pristine condition?

cant have a go at someone for that

making negative comments about peoples cars at car shows is just asking for trouble
Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

My question was one of simple curiousity, if you're going to go to the extent of "restoring" a car to such a high standard, why not make the effort to fit an oil filter of period appearance?

Jealous? of what? that they get to own something like that? Yes and no...... Much as I wish I could afford an XR/XT/XW/XY/XA/XB GT, its the eliteists and investment buyers who have pushed the prices of the cars far from my reach.

On the other hand, no I'm not jealous of them having cars which need to be kept in climate controlled bubbles..... The maintenance required (polishing, polishing, polishing, wiping off drool, polishing) would leave me in a situation where I wouldnt be able to bring myself to drive one and actually enjoy it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOUDXFUTE
what if they get their enjoyment out of keeping their car in pristine condition?
in that case, how about they buy a prius and polish it to bits
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOUDXFUTE
making negative comments about peoples cars at car shows is just asking for trouble
So its fine for them to pick at me for DRIVING my car, but god help me if I criticise them for NOT driving thiers?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
So whats you problem. You obviously went there intending to put people off by what you where wearing, and from what else you wrote in your thread you sound a little jealous of them.
Simple don't go to car shows if you don't like the people who own the cars, you are going there to see.

Also just out of curiosity what did you expect her to say in return to your comment about the oil filter?? or was it just to bait her.
I agree with you - this thread isn't going to be around long.

The whole idea of car shows is that REGARDLESS of what sort of car it is, if it is yours and you enjoy it and want to share it with others, you take it to a show. I've held a few shows in my time and I have seen people rock up with the most overmodified molested cars you have ever seen, right through to absolute bog stockers which you would never think to see at a car show, BUT they all have just as much right to be there as each other. At the end of the day, if you dont like it - walk away. Don't be an idiot to people just because you don't agree with how they treat/drive/look after their car. It is that simple.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Interceptor - it's people like you that make organising and running car shows and absolute bloody nightmare because you whinge about everything - you whinge about the cars there or the cars that aren't there, you whinge about the trophy categories, you whinge about who the judges are, and you whinge about who wins the trophies because you don't agree with it.

Do us all a favour and don't go to any more car shows eh?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Isn't that the point of attending car shows? To view rare vehicles that are in factory like condition?

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
Old 02-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
Attended a car show today, not a competitive one, but still a decent sized show for up here.

Now, something that irks me is the number of people with rare and desirable cars who restore them to the nth degree, keep them in a climate controlled bubble and only get them out to drool over in a semi narcotic stupor......

Why? Because the snobs and elitists have driven up the prices of the cars that I and many others would dearly love to own, drive and enjoy, not just look at.... I have no problem telling such people that, in all honesty, they deserve to be stripped of thier cars, simply because if you dont use something in the way it was intended, you can never appreciate its true value and you have no right to deprive someone else of that pleasure.

Dont get me started on the "investment" type people.....

To give you an idea, one lady was there with her (and her husbands) XW GT, very well presented and restored to a standard which seemed to me to be better than new, everything that should be cad plated was nice and shiny, nothing showed any signs of corrosion, and there she was, out with a spray bottle and cloth cleaning what looked good enough to eat off already.....

My god she got cranky when I asked her why she'd gone to such efforts, only to use a non genuine ryco oil filter.....

Part of her tirade even included a shot at me having the gall to comment when I was wearing a Holden shirt..... The look on her face was priceless when I told her that like her, I owned a Ford, but I work for holden, and I was wearing the shirt to get under the skin of people like her!

What disgusted me more than anything have been the times I've been asked (while looking over an EB GT) if I either wanted one, or if I wished I'd bought one instead...... Instead of what? a GT? why on earth would I want one? I've attended that same show each time since it was started in 2007, and EVERY time, I've had the ONLY Sprint there!

Knowing that I was going to have to contend with such people, and that my car, courtesy of its regular use and high mileage has more than its share of bumps and scratches, I didnt intend on displaying my car, but changed my mind on friday night with a decision to display it with a notice that was worded as a cheap shot at anyone who didnt drive thier vehicles regularly.

Tattered and scarred,
Far from pristine
Before you today
Is no garage queen

If you think it neglected
You might be forgiven
Unlike some nearby
It is daily driven

Of polish and trophies
It hasn't a care
Just give it the highway
Its home is out there.

Suprisingly enough, I recieved more than a few positive comments!

fwiw, take one EB GT from the number that was there, I'm pretty certain my Sprint has done more K's than all of the GT's colelctively.... only one of them I know has been used as a daily driver, and has clocked up well over 200,000km
Oh man
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Isn't that the point of attending car shows? To view rare vehicles that are in factory like condition?
i think the point is to go there and enjoy yourself - not to go there and complain about everything
at least the elitist people are enjoying their cars in their own way - at least one person didn't seem to enjoy the show
Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
MAV50L
Banned

I can see both sides. Car shows do tend to shun daily drivers who are the grass roots of the sport. The lateral thinking , ideas and engineering on some daily drivers leaves the best show cars out there for dead. But people overlook them because of some grime and a few stone chips.
So people who have cars that are their pride and joy , which they have put a lot of work into stay away and dont share the enginnering with anyone , because owners of the "elite" cars turn their noses up at them , because the car is not 100% perfect to the eye.
But also the show has to make money to survive and the regular punters dont want to pay a few bucks to come through the gates to see cars that they can check out down at the shops in the carpark. It is the best that attract the attention.
The is no real answer and the debate has been going on since the dawn of time. I do honestly believe that shows do NEED to have a top 10 daily driven , so people dont stay away and can share and enjoy their cars. If a person come 11th in the daily driver class they will go away and make the car that bit better in the hope of coming in the top 10 next time. So the scene keeps getting better , but the door is still open for people starting out. I dont know about others but I would happily pay another $5 in my entry fee to a show to see some trophies and recognition going to the guys in GENUINE daily driven cars. I have never won a trophy and dont chase them as my cars are not show cars by any means. But I put them on show and get a kick when people ask me about something I have done or they are checking out the work done in my driveway by my own hands.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Interceptor - it's people like you that make organising and running car shows and absolute bloody nightmare because you whinge about everything - you whinge about the cars there or the cars that aren't there, you whinge about the trophy categories, you whinge about who the judges are, and you whinge about who wins the trophies because you don't agree with it.

Do us all a favour and don't go to any more car shows eh?
Can I take it the same also applies to the people whinging about the dust inside the doorjams/sills on my car, the cracked headlight protectors, the missing rear spoiler, driving lights, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
I can see both sides. Car shows do tend to shun daily drivers who are the grass roots of the sport. The lateral thinking , ideas and engineering on some daily drivers leaves the best show cars out there for dead. But people overlook them because of some grime and a few stone chips.
So people who have cars that are their pride and joy , which they have put a lot of work into stay away and dont share the enginnering with anyone , because owners of the "elite" cars turn their noses up at them , because the car is not 100% perfect to the eye.
Exactly why I didnt really want to turn up, but, in the history of the show, I've been the ONLY XR8 Sprint to attend, not just attend every show, but to attend at all.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
That explains the BA/BF/FG F6's, GT/P's, cobras, etc then.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i think the point is to go there and enjoy yourself - not to go there and complain about everything
at least the elitist people are enjoying their cars in their own way - at least one person didn't seem to enjoy the show
didnt complain about everything, the BA-FG's I ignored mostly, had a great time chatting with the people who had some of the rarer stuff and who werent afraid of the road

btw, what does it say that a couple of times, I was confronted about DARING to wear a holden shirt to a Ford show.... there were plenty of humourous jokes, but a couple of serious enquiries/demands that i ditch the shirt....

seriously...... wheres the problem with a simple shirt? some people really are insecure!

Last edited by Interceptor; 02-05-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

so if you had a better than factory mint XW GT you would drive it to work every day
becuase it's a car and that how it should be treated???
Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I wouldnt have restored it to such a high standard to start with!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Each to their own!

different people want different things from their cars, it is not for others to decide for them how they should treat their car and that goes both ways, whether a hack or a show car.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone wants to make their car a trailer queen and trophy hunt so be it, conversley some people drive their cars everywhere, different strokes for different folks but people who haunt car shows nit picking and baiting owners ruin shows for everyone.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

ooh this must be a credible tirade because it has a poem
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

You have some serious issues Interceptor ..... I just don't understand why you bothered going as it seems you were all prepared to poke fun at everyone else.

If you want to have dust in your door jambs and cracked head light protector or just can't be bothered in general maintenance before making an appearance, why the hell are you are worried about what someones filter is as its obvious you don't really care! Or you just enjoy baiting people for the hell of it? I would recommend you stay away from any sort of display or show as you obviously have no idea what they are all about!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interceptor, grow up and stop carrying on like a fool.

As b2tf said, it is people like you that make organising shows a nightmare. Go and buy a box of tissues and cry in the corner if it annoys you that much, but leave it there and don't annoy us with your carry on.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #21
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
I wouldnt have restored it to such a high standard to start with!
That's you my friend. If I had the cash my XA would be like the car you described. You have to remember variety is the spice of life. If everybody displayed daily driven cars at a show I doubt many would turn up. Imagine how many people have now told this lady her oil filter is incorrect. Why do people look for negative things to say when there has been so much hard work put into a car? People hate what they don't have so they must put it down!!!!

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
but people who haunt car shows nit picking and baiting owners ruin shows for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
You have some serious issues Interceptor ..... I just don't understand why you bothered going as it seems you were all prepared to poke fun at everyone else.
And the people agonising over every little smear of bug guts on thier "correctly oversprayed" radiator support panels are having an absolute ball arent they?
Quote:
If you want to have dust in your door jambs and cracked head light protector or just can't be bothered in general maintenance before making an appearance
General maintenance? well and truly taken care of, as for getting ******** about appearance, find me a set of ED XR8 headlight protectors, I'll buy them, the dust? yea, it was there, but to remove it, I'dve had to remove the guards to get to it!

I turned up in a car that had been washed the night before, driven 110km to/from the location, had an otherwise good time at the show, and unlike the people I'm bitching about here, I wasnt paraniod about stone chips, dead bugs, fingerprints and microscopic dust.....

Quote:
why the hell are you are worried about what someones filter
wasnt worried, I was impressed with the effort the owners had gone to with the car, but if you're going to go to that extent to make it look like it just rolled off the assembly line, why have such an obvious detail flaw as an aftermarket filter?

Quote:
I would recommend you stay away from any sort of display or show as you obviously have no idea what they are all about!
Its a CAR show we're talking about here, right? or is it a paint finish display, rivet counter and pro detailer convention?

last time I looked, it was a show intended for people to display and enjoy rare cars, thats why i was there
Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #23
BOSHOG
avenge me

dont ya love it when a thread doesnt go quite like the OP wanted lol
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And the people agonising over every little smear of bug guts on thier "correctly oversprayed" radiator support panels are having an absolute ball arent they?
Do you know they're not "having a ball"?
Does it matter what other people get joy from with their own cars??
Quote:

Its a CAR show we're talking about here, right? or is it a paint finish display, rivet counter and pro detailer convention?

last time I looked, it was a show intended for people to display and enjoy rare cars, thats why i was there
Yep, car shows are all those things, so what?
If you just attended and minded you're own business your thread might have gone slightly better..

You're like the "ugly parent" at kids sport on a saturday....

Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #25
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Do you know they're not "having a ball"?
people have fun stressing over every atom of bug guts splattered on thier car????

and to think people accuse me of needing help!

BOSHOG: who said this thread has deviated from where i intended? there have been displays in this thread of exactly what i'm taking about re: elitisim and snobbery
Old 02-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #26
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Awesome thread guys....

At the end of the day, enjoy a car show for what it is. A showing of cars.

Oo\===/oO
Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #27
BOSHOG
avenge me

you do realise that stating how your way of treating you car is better is a form of snobbery in itself.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #28
Davebro

Its one of their each to their own situations.

I like attending car shows, and admiring other peoples work. I myself would never go this way, as I prefer to race cars round a track. Mind you, I do all the work myself and then enjoy my car too.

Its the same as people spending 10's of thousands on car audio. Again, its what they enjoy.

Personally I think you are just out to cause trouble and get a reaction.

Maybe you should get a life!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #29
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
That's the point some of us are trying to make. You may not see this as enjoyment where others might. I like nothing better to have my car sitting in my garage all shiny. I even enjoy just looking at it. You on the other hand love your stone chips and driving it daily. It's all about each to their own.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #30
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

elitists are the worst. i mean i went to a wedding in oil stained tracksuit pants & my good double plugger thongs and they wouldnt even let me in. i pointed out to the groom that his socks really didnt match his belt colour & he got all huffy at me.
Closed Thread