Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Satellite speed guns

Satellites Will Be Used to Catch You Speeding
7:41 PM - April 22, 2010 - By Kevin Parrish - Source : Tom's Guide US

Big Brother will be watching your movements from space.

"Bad news for those with lead feet: Britain is testing a new type of speed camera that can track your average speed over long distances while mounted on satellites in space. Similar to radar guns used here on Earth, the cameras will combine plate reading technology with GPS, and will be able to cover a network of streets rather than just a straight line of detection."

Old 23-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
SVD

so basically their GPS will say we're speeding...but when our GPS says we aren't and they say we are...we still are...

right....
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

It just gets better and better..
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ummm....lets see if I've got this right. Satellites are directly overhead. number plates are vertical, and sometimes recessed in the body of the car.

So, unless they have satellites that read on something like a 45 deg angle it cant be done.

I did like the last paragraph though.... "The Home Office said it was unable to comment on the trials because of 'commercial confidentiality," this I take it means they have a long way to go yet .
Old 23-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent - revenue raising from space, what will they think of next.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

There are too many variables and most likely first prosecution case would end up like the Sputnik crashing and burning.
Old 23-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm doesn't it rain most of the time in pommyland? Clouds may be a bit of a problem.

Of course it is more than slightly ironic that it would only be safe from getting a speeding ticket when it was not safe to speed..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

So they would tap into the people who have GPS's and use them to track your speed? People without them arent tracked?
Meh, doesnt make much sense to me
Old 23-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pigs in spaaaace.......
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

The GPS part of the system only monitors your position at the time for working out a point to point method of enforcement. There is a camera element on the side of the road to register your plates.

So i guess every camera on the road can take your picture and then no matter where you go, if you get there before the system thinks you should have, you will get a fine.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Futura_2nv

a sattelite could be overhead at one point but at the right angle to see the plates at another point, because it'll move around it'll detect people left right and wont get anything in the center lol

LOL at the pigs in space comment too
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ummm....lets see if I've got this right. Satellites are directly overhead. number plates are vertical, and sometimes recessed in the body of the car.

So, unless they have satellites that read on something like a 45 deg angle it cant be done.

I did like the last paragraph though.... "The Home Office said it was unable to comment on the trials because of 'commercial confidentiality," this I take it means they have a long way to go yet .
Futura_2nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Dodge
i like to be stroked

lucky they cant tap into our gps and record the actual speed the unit is traveling..i try my hardest not to speed but most roads are 60 and everyone is doing 70 or 50
Old 24-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
seven7

ok so every time i go out to speed i just remove my plates?

:thebirds:
seven7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think what will happen is a tamper proof GPS will be fitted to all cars (At owners expense) and will detect speeding drivers anywhere at anytime. Just hope they have the speed zones correct to the GPS mapping. I heard something similar in the past for Victoria. A speed limt in your driveway and car parks!!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
I think what will happen is a tamper proof GPS will be fitted to all cars (At owners expense) and will detect speeding drivers anywhere at anytime. Just hope they have the speed zones correct to the GPS mapping. I heard something similar in the past for Victoria. A speed limt in your driveway and car parks!!
hmm

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

There may be a slight problem with that cunning plan.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
Trendseeker

The satellite doesn't take a photo of your car. The speed camera at the side of the road takes the photo. What they're talking about is networked, mobile point-to-point speed cameras. They set up a grid of cameras; each one scans your number plate as you go by and compares the time that you passed the previous camera with the time that you are passing the current camera. All cameras know the position of the other cameras and can calculate average speed between any two points. The police can also freely move the cameras around so that no one can be sure whether the route they are taking has point-to-point speed checks. The satellites simply provide the mobile cameras with the co-ordinates of their current location, which they pass on to other cameras via the wireless network (more than likely the commercial 3G network).

Last edited by Trendseeker; 24-04-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
glavas

jesus christ!!!!!!! does anyone else argee that driving is getting to the point were its just not much fun anymore??? i use to love just hoping in my car and just driving. a nice quiet cruise gathering my thoughts, yes i would speed but not do anything stupid. the goverment just hates people having fun.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
GrimmReaper09

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
jesus christ!!!!!!! does anyone else argee that driving is getting to the point were its just not much fun anymore??? i use to love just hoping in my car and just driving. a nice quiet cruise gathering my thoughts, yes i would speed but not do anything stupid. the goverment just hates people having fun.
I agree, It's just not so fun to go driving anymore. Having a slightly quick drive thru the hills is just not what it used to be.
GrimmReaper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
hmm

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

There may be a slight problem with that cunning plan.......
I know of something thats easier than that and you can get it just about everywhere:

BAM!

Aluminium foil, GPS jammer right in your cupboard.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Didn't mythbusters prove that al' foil doesnt work?

Does it Oo?
Old 24-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #21
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sounds like an old april fools joke folks.

One could poke holes everywhere in this so-called system.

I would take this with a grain of salt.... insteading of jumping up and down and screaming about big brother.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
This sounds like an old april fools joke folks.

One could poke holes everywhere in this so-called system.

I would take this with a grain of salt.... insteading of jumping up and down and screaming about big brother.
Go ahead and try to poke some holes in it. The technology already exists:
  • the NSW RTA has been using number plate scanning technology for several years (Safe-T-Cam)
  • point-to-point cameras exist now on the Hume hwy
  • mobile speed cameras have been around for years
  • mobile devices using the 3G network to store and retrieve data from a central database have been in use for a number of years

The only new piece of technology is coupling a GPS with the point-to-point cameras.

So go ahead and poke holes everywhere. We're waiting.
Old 30-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
  • the NSW RTA has been using number plate scanning technology for several years (Safe-T-Cam)
But its not that accurate.
Quote:
They do? where?
Old 30-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #24
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
But its not that accurate.
They do? where?
It has a scan success rate greater than 98%. Obscured number plates won't scan completely obviously, but you'll get pinged for that by a Hwy Patrol if they see you.

The point-to-point cameras are south of Camden.

The challenge with point to point mobile cameras is positioning the scanner.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #25
burnz
VFII SS UTE

their are p2p cams north of brookly bridge thats it, havent seen any on the hume.

as for satilights, they still cant see threw cloud cover, no matter what that pommy link says.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It has a scan success rate greater than 98%. Obscured number plates won't scan completely obviously, but you'll get pinged for that by a Hwy Patrol if they see you.
The figure is closer to 60%. I've asked a few RTA inspectors to see my picture (just for fun) none could produce it.

Quote:
The point-to-point cameras are south of Camden.
Hmm, that must be very new, they were only going to put them on the Pacific, and only for trucks.

Quote:
The challenge with point to point mobile cameras is positioning the scanner.
Mobile point to point?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go ahead and try to poke some holes in it. The technology already exists:
  • mobile speed cameras have been around for years
  • mobile devices using the 3G network to store and retrieve data from a central database have been in use for a number of years

The only new piece of technology is coupling a GPS with the point-to-point cameras.

So go ahead and poke holes everywhere. We're waiting.

Point to Point cameras and cameras mounted in space? Hmmmm yes they are very similier arent they?

I dunno what your list has to do with anything that is mentioned in the article.

How on earth is system going to work? ARe they going to have 50000 cameras monted on one satellite?
One camera?
Who will operate the cameras?
Lets see.... several BILLION dollars to launch a satellite..
Yes thats right... several BILLION.
Not to mention that your asking for a camera with such high resolution that it can read number plates from space.
How will it track a car?
How can it read a number plate on a busy freeway when it will be blocked from view by other vehicles.
hmmmm

How is the GPS system intergrated?
Will it be a requirement for every single car to have a transponder fitted to their vehicle?

GPS ONLY WORKS when you have receiver/transmitter on the ground bouncing signals up to satellites in order to workout where something is.

So how can a camera in a satellite tell you the speed of a car?
It cant...

Why even re-start a thread that died over a week ago?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Trendseeker

Quote:
Point to Point cameras and cameras mounted in space? Hmmmm yes they are very similier arent they?

I dunno what your list has to do with anything that is mentioned in the article.

How on earth is system going to work? ARe they going to have 50000 cameras monted on one satellite?
One camera?
Who will operate the cameras?
Lets see.... several BILLION dollars to launch a satellite..
Yes thats right... several BILLION.
Not to mention that your asking for a camera with such high resolution that it can read number plates from space.
How will it track a car?
How can it read a number plate on a busy freeway when it will be blocked from view by other vehicles.
hmmmm

How is the GPS system intergrated?
Will it be a requirement for every single car to have a transponder fitted to their vehicle?

GPS ONLY WORKS when you have receiver/transmitter on the ground bouncing signals up to satellites in order to workout where something is.

So how can a camera in a satellite tell you the speed of a car?
It cant...

Why even re-start a thread that died over a week ago?
You didn't understand the article or what was said in earlier posts.

The cameras are not on the satellites.

There are no point-to-point cameras in space.

The system does not require a car to have a GPS navigation device nor is it related to the scaremongering stories about Police reading data from the an in-car GPS navigation device to obtain average speed information.

The speed cameras are on the ground. They are coupled with a GPS receiver that is used to determine their position. They send that position (lat/long co-ordinates) back to a database over the commercial 3G network (the same one your phone uses).

As a car goes past the camera, it captures an image of the car, uses image and character recognition software to read the plate, and stores the time and plate number in the database with the position of the camera. The next time that car goes past another camera, it repeats the process and checks the database to see if the number plate is there. If the plate is in the database, it reads the time that the car passed the last camera, reads the position of the last camera and calculates its average speed between the two points. If the speed is over the threshold, the image is saved and a fine is generated.

The only purpose of the GPS technology is to allow the cameras to be moved around.

The title of this thread is misleading but the article is not.
The Safe-T-Cam system does most of this now, although it is a fixed system rather than mobile and therefore it doesn't need a GPS device because the distance between the cameras is known.

Your comments about how a GPS works are incorrect. A GPS does not require a transmitter on the ground. You should read up on how they work. Take a look at howstuffworks.com.

You could certainly poke holes in the system that you have described, but that isn't what the article is talking about. The system you have described sounds like a Mother Goose tale.

What's wrong with bringing up a thread a week old. Do your comments have an expiry date?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You didn't understand the article or what was said in earlier posts.

The cameras are not on the satellites.

There are no point-to-point cameras in space.

The system does not require a car to have a GPS navigation device nor is it related to the scaremongering stories about Police reading data from the an in-car GPS navigation device to obtain average speed information.

The speed cameras are on the ground. They are coupled with a GPS receiver that is used to determine their position. They send that position (lat/long co-ordinates) back to a database over the commercial 3G network (the same one your phone uses).

As a car goes past the camera, it captures an image of the car, uses image and character recognition software to read the plate, and stores the time and plate number in the database with the position of the camera. The next time that car goes past another camera, it repeats the process and checks the database to see if the number plate is there. If the plate is in the database, it reads the time that the car passed the last camera, reads the position of the last camera and calculates its average speed between the two points. If the speed is over the threshold, the image is saved and a fine is generated.

The only purpose of the GPS technology is to allow the cameras to be moved around.

The title of this thread is misleading but the article is not.
The Safe-T-Cam system does most of this now, although it is a fixed system rather than mobile and therefore it doesn't need a GPS device because the distance between the cameras is known.

Your comments about how a GPS works are incorrect. A GPS does not require a transmitter on the ground. You should read up on how they work. Take a look at howstuffworks.com.

You could certainly poke holes in the system that you have described, but that isn't what the article is talking about. The system you have described sounds like a Mother Goose tale.

What's wrong with bringing up a thread a week old. Do your comments have an expiry date?

Where does one start....

Quote:
Bad news for those with lead feet: Britain is testing a new type of speed camera that can track your average speed over long distances while mounted on satellites in space. Similar to radar guns used here on Earth, the cameras will combine plate reading technology with GPS, and will be able to cover a network of streets rather than just a straight line of detection
FROM THE ARTICLE....

Point to point camera DO NOT NEED SATELLITES OR GPS. If the distance between too points is known. All you need is the time it takes between the two cameras to work out the speed. This is how POINT TO POINT WORKS.

Quote:
Your comments about how a GPS works are incorrect. A GPS does not require a transmitter on the ground. You should read up on how they work. Take a look at howstuffworks.com
Your ignorance is bliss..... I have used GPS since 1995.
A GPS is a receiver/transmitter. Geostationary satellites interrogate the signal YOU SEND OUT and then return that signal to you. It then works out the time difference between the two signals to work out your position.

If it doesnt TALK TO EACH OTHER IT DOESNT WORK.....

Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where does one start....

FROM THE ARTICLE....

Point to point camera DO NOT NEED SATELLITES OR GPS. If the distance between too points is known. All you need is the time it takes between the two cameras to work out the speed. This is how POINT TO POINT WORKS.

Your ignorance is bliss..... I have used GPS since 1995.
A GPS is a receiver/transmitter. Geostationary satellites interrogate the signal YOU SEND OUT and then return that signal to you. It then works out the time difference between the two signals to work out your position.

If it doesnt TALK TO EACH OTHER IT DOESNT WORK.....

Copied straight from Wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
The GPS consists of three parts: the space segment, the control segment, and the user segment. The U.S. Air Force develops, maintains, and operates the space and control segments. GPS satellites broadcast signals from space, which each GPS receiver uses to calculate its three-dimensional location (latitude, longitude, and altitude) plus the current time.[1]

The space segment is composed of 24 to 32 satellites in medium Earth orbit and also includes the boosters required to launch them into orbit. The control segment is composed of a master control station, an alternate master control station, and a host of dedicated and shared ground antennas and monitor stations. The user segment is composed of hundreds of thousands of U.S. and allied military users of the secure GPS Precise Positioning Service, and tens of millions of civil, commercial, and scientific users of the Standard Positioning Service (see GPS navigation devices).

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post