Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Viewing a car at dealership during Covid 19 ?

What's the legalities with looking at a vehicle at a Dealership that is not in your home town, like one that is in the major city of your state but you live 2 odd hr's away ?.

If you are seriously looking at a certain vehicle (used) can you drive to the place of location and test drive etc ?.

I get the feeling that if pulled up by the local constable this will be frowned upon ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 04:36 AM   #2
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Default Re: Viewing a car at dealership during Covid 19 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
What's the legalities with looking at a vehicle at a Dealership that is not in your home town, like one that is in the major city of your state but you live 2 odd hr's away ?.

If you are seriously looking at a certain vehicle (used) can you drive to the place of location and test drive etc ?.

I get the feeling that if pulled up by the local constable this will be frowned upon ?.
A vehicle is an essential purchase and when purchasing a used vehicle great care should be taken in ensuring the vehicle is appropriate with regards to safety, condition, usage requirements...etc

With that said the constabulary would have to understand that you wouldn’t choose to go that far if it weren’t for the correct vehicle that fit the essential requirements.

Nor do they have the authority to tell you which vehicle you can purchase whether it’s close or otherwise.

And then remember to wash your hands, cover your mouth and stand 1.5m away and you’ll have no issues.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Lunch
Wait, what?

It’s been my experience that a vast number of people on the front line of law enforcement, rarely listen to anything you have to say so if I was you, I’d book a time with the location that has the car you’re travelling to look at, that way if one of the ignorant monkeys pulls you over, you are able to corroborate your story with the party at your destination with a simple phone call, if the monkey allows you to validate your story that is.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Test drive situation too when you get there....Mandatory to do to check out the vehicle properly .

Surely understanding has to allow what could be an essential task of trying what might be the car you need to reliably get to work , get to other essential places and such .

If it gets to the point where travelling a decent distance to view/test drive a car or something else important is even this is frowned upon this lockdown is getting a bit much .. I hope this is not the case though. Common sense and courtesy from constabulary all that should be required. Not least because a car purchase usually means disposing of substantial ready's from the bank account or borrowing from same so necessary diligence needs to be permitted so as not to buy a thing with the same name as something you squeeze on a cooked fish .

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yep, get the dealership to email you a note you can print out, confirming your appointment to view/test drive to cover yourself.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Paper trail, business hours only, diary note in advance at the far end.

In my last interaction with Victorian police (buying petrol at the 7-11, early afternoon in Heidelberg), one had his hand on the grip of his gun before the other had even spoken to me. I suspect the full beard had them jumping at shadows.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Vicpol certainly believe in zero tolerance.
Partner and I crossed against the lights in Bendigo, (to busy yacking)straight opposite were 2 cops which gave us the third degree. We arrived by train from nearby Maldon were we had the motorhome camped. NSW licence opened up so many question by them, why we were there, what we were doing in Vic, how did we get there, on and on it went.

Now whenever we cross the road we have to think what state we are in. NSW couldn't care less.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Galaxy,

Leaving aside the argy bargy of whether this should be happening at all ... but here in Qld, under the home confinement public health direction all people in Queensland (including temporary residents) must not leave their principal place of residence except for necessary permitted purposes. The permitted purposes do not include leisure travel, recreation or 'self-isolation' holidays.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...ring-direction

It would depend on whether a vehicle is classified as an essential good or service. Ie

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...sure-direction

The Motor Trades Association of Australia (MTAA) regards the automotive supply chain as essential services defined by Part 1, Section 4, Clause 1, (l) - Essential Services Act 1988 (NSW); Section 3,Clause (a), (b) and (g) - Essential Services Act 1958 (Victoria); Section 2, Interpretation - Essential Services Act 1981 (SA) and companion legislation where it exists in other jurisdictions.

The Motor Traders Association of Qld would likely endorse the view of the national body.

The only sticking point is that, assuming a vehicle is an esential good or service, is is classifying any travel involved to inspect said vehicle as 'reasonable'. As others have said, discussing this roadside with someone in a uniform generally isnt the best context for such discussions.

If your local constabulary is approachable, consider bouncing the question off them as to what they would consider as 'reasonable travel' for an essential good or service. Fair enough, they won't be the ones pulling you over. But it might give you an insight into their internal song sheet for how they are meant to be enforcing travel restrictions.

Each state is approaching this slightly different.

Hope this helps.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 19-04-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Not sure of ops location
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
It’s been my experience that a vast number of people on the front line of law enforcement, rarely listen to anything you have to say so if I was you, I’d book a time with the location that has the car you’re travelling to look at, that way if one of the ignorant monkeys pulls you over, you are able to corroborate your story with the party at your destination with a simple phone call, if the monkey allows you to validate your story that is.
Are these the same ignorant monkeys keeping us safe from ignorant tools who don't get it about stopping the spread?
The same ignorant monkeys risking their well being and their families?
The same ignorant monkeys having to listen to BS stories everyday?
JUST STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And as to the OP, why not get the dealer to bring the car to you if it's a reasonable distance, these guys are hurting and probably more than willing to accommodate.
Old 19-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Lunch
Wait, what?

Yep, that’s them
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #11
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Lockdown means stay at home.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #12
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Lockdown means stay at home.
Luckily we aren’t in lockdown then.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Book a time with them via email and get them to reply. Print email out and take it with you showing their address etc.

Motor vehicles are still classed as essential and the government have not enforced dealers to be closed.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
hayseed

https://www.drive.com.au/news/yes-it...tm_medium=link
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it’s not legal to visit a business then why are they open?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
If it’s not legal to visit a business then why are they open?
Just because it is legal for a business to open doesn't mean it is ok for every person to attend their site. They still need to have a necessary reason to be there.

As an example, my brother in law is an upholsterer. There is no requirement for him to close his premises. But that doesn't mean it's ok for someone to just wander down there and visit because they feel like they might want to get their couch recovered.

To facilitate this sort of business, he needs to adapt and provide a means for his customers to access his business without leaving their house and being fined for unnecessary travel.

The former does not predicate the latter.

Edit: To clarify, that is for Victoria. I'm not sure about other states.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 22-04-2020 at 02:56 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Just because it is legal for a business to open doesn't mean it is ok for every person to attend their site. They still need to have a necessary reason to be there.

As an example, my brother in law is an upholsterer. There is no requirement for him to close his premises. But that doesn't mean it's ok for someone to just wander down there and visit because they feel like they might want to get their couch recovered.

To facilitate this sort of business, he needs to adapt and provide a means for his customers to access his business without leaving their house and being fined for unnecessary travel.

The former does not predicate the latter.

Edit: To clarify, that is for Victoria. I'm not sure about other states.
I understand that, but this guy isn’t wandering just for a look, he has an intention to purchase the vehicle, all going well upon viewing. That’s the only way 95% of people will buy a car, so if the dealership is allowed to operate it’s sales room, logically it’s legal to go there.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I understand that, but this guy isn’t wandering just for a look, he has an intention to purchase the vehicle, all going well upon viewing. That’s the only way 95% of people will buy a car, so if the dealership is allowed to operate it’s sales room, logically it’s legal to go there.
I don't necessarily agree with the bolded bit. But it's not my call, so it's up to the OP to make up their own mind.

Same situation has been discussed in a number of threads, and I think it's clear to say that it is not black and white, as the first post of yours I quoted implied.

I was just trying to clarify that it really depends on the OPs circumstances as to whether it is 'necessary' or not, as that is the determining factor, not whether the car yard is open or not.

I'm not trying to start a big discussion on it.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thank's for the replies guy's but I did in fact contact the dealership in question to organise a viewing but upon my discussions I was told that the vehicle was on hold !!!, I asked if it was sold as of yet or not ?.

Once again I was told it was on hold, so obviously money had been put down or maybe not but they didn't seem overly keen for my business so I left it at that.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Why not just ring the Cops and ask them what their take on it is

If they say OK... take the Cops details (and anything else he suggests, like make a booking at the dealer etc) and head off.

If they say No... Stay home.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #21
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Why not just ring the Cops and ask them what their take on it is

If they say OK... take the Cops details (and anything else he suggests, like make a booking at the dealer etc) and head off.

If they say No... Stay home.

D
Don't ring them. Find out who the lockdown authority is and email them asking permission. Print it out and show it at the checkpoint. That way you know in advance whether you will get through and if not you won't have wasted a journey to the check point.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post