Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Remote Locking Transponder

Is it possible to do some soldering in the Remote Locking Transponder and up the effective range at which these work, or to the reciever in the car?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Probablly would be possible to increase the recievers strength ( inside the car ) but would prolly have to replace alot of parts, i haven't looked at 1 but - going of basic electronics i gather it would use the copper wound grahite rod aerial like in a hendheld radio, or would use crystals like in to remote cars/ cb's etc etc etc working on a specific freuency ( probably is crystal setup !). Either way usually a reciever of any kind will usually have a transistor or 2 and a few small capacitors and resistors on the recievers pcb, all which are matched according to the strenght/range & distance the reciever can recieve. It would be possible probably but probably not possible by someone inexperienced with at least a good general understanding of basic/medium electonics.
I think they only make them short range anyway for safety reasons , if u was say 20 meters away from your car , someone could easilly be hiding around within 20 meters unvisible and pinch your code with 1 of those code catcher gizmo's! . Being in a small area radius makes it more easy for you to make sure no-one is up to something like that ( they would have to be pretty close to/ hiding around near your car ) thus more chance of seeing someone doing something shifty and not posting your code out to the whole carpark .
Might be worth looking into though if you really want it - Im just goin off from the reason why i have heard they are short-range device / reciever & sender, and just basing of the basic electronics i know off. ;) - gl .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post