Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
nrr_fpv
Starter Motor

Default Speaker Enquiry

Hey there, i have a AU2 SR Falcon in regency red and i just purchased 6x9's sony speakers and the problem is that its not sitting properly in the existing speaker hole. Now of course the easy thing to do is to get it professionally fitted but theres one problem....MY CAR IS DUEL FUEL lol so the gas tank in the boot is causing some problems for me to even attempt to cut a larger hole or even drill holes. Now my question is whether or not i can remove the back column out of the car so i can easily make larger holes for the speakers to sit in perfectly. Peoples feedback is much appreciated, thanks

nrr_fpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

g'day mate , and welcome to the forums, i had this same problem in my old XE , i couldn't put the speakers flush with the surface of the parcel shelf because the magnets on the back of the speakers were hitting the gas tank in the boot , goto stathfield car radios or jb hi-fi and get 1" sleeves for each speaker , it's black plastic mounts that jack the speaker up about 1" off the parcel shelf , they look ok and save you having to make bigger holes for the speaker too ;) , they'll give you some room between the magnets of the speakers and ya gas tank too . gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
nrr_fpv
Starter Motor

are u sure that will fix the problem, because when i went to jbhifi today they said that the only way to fit the 6X9 speakers in the 5x7 hole is to cut bigger holes, and about these 1" sleeves, will jbhifi supply them and how much would they cost? Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

the sleeves are actually spacers, they have a 5x7in base that bolts into the parcel shelf, and the 6x9 speaker bolts into the top of the spacer..
ive used them before..
they werent very much around the $15-20 mark, not sure if JB will have them.. but generally most audio places will.
Just be weary of the speaker clearing the back window, it should fit ok though.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Hold your speakers about 1" higher than the parcel shelf in the old speaker holes, as stiddy said check to make sure they arent gonna hit the rear window when 1" higher , also - if they fit in that hole np at 1" higher than the parcel shelf and dont hit the window either then you WON'T need to make the old speaker holes bigger , in most cases the old speaker holes don't have to be as big because of the taper decreases in size on the back of the speaker towards the magnet as you raise it more.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

better yet, sell the 6x9's and buy some 5x7's..
Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
miitch
orgasmic.

I got a decent set of Clarion 5x7's as a quick solution to replace a blown factory speaker, they are easy to install and sound good... (See my signature for model number, they were only $100 from Autobarn)

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
SIKSIX
Its gone V

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't sell your speakers. all you do is screw the 6x9's in from the bottom of the parcel shelf. if you want pics give me a day or two and i will. i got this from my mate that works in JB HI-FI (installs) and he said you will have to pay through your behind to get a good sounding 5x7.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
phildee

Spacers on top work, but they look dodgy, how deep are your 6x9's, most people mount them under the shelf if its a 5x7 hole.
Cutting the parcel shelf technically makes your car unroadworthy, easiest way is to try mount from underneath if they will fit or just go for 5x7's
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #10
miitch
orgasmic.

$300 would get you Alpine Type R 5x7 Splits...

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
nrr_fpv
Starter Motor

i cant mount the speakers underneath as the gas tank is in the way, but thankyou for all your advice, i will try the spacers, thanks again!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i got my audio mate to fit 6x9's and he said not difficult at all. mine though is not gas. they is flush as and sound terrific. pity the SUB is out of action at the moment.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #13
stiddy
Banned

whats the point in going to all the trouble to make 6x9's fit if your going to have subs..

just get a speaker that will fit in the standard location and be done, you dont need bass from speakers if you have subs.

I have 4 5x7's all around, no bass at all, all mid and treble, 2 15's in the boot take care of that ;)
Old 11-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have u got a boot pic of ur 15"sub install stiddy??
i got to make a new box for my 2x JL 15s..
lookin for ideas..
Old 11-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #15
stiddy
Banned

I do, its nothing flash though, just a dirty great big box lol its not custom or anything.

low quality pic but you can see it..

P.S excuse the blue pillow, I usually sit the pillow ontop of the sub box and close the boot on it, it softens the boot rattle lol.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #16
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no point in having large 6x9s in the rear. The large cone, produces deep base, which is pointless if you have subs, just inchs away pushing more bass. Part of the sound will conflict, and it will just sound crap.

Stick with some basic 5x7s, even if you aren't going to get subs. You can still get 5x7s that push 80W RMS. Which is more than you'll ever need. If you still don't like that idea, you can get a spacer and put a 6" there, or whatever you want.

But personally, the speaker must stay below the grill. If you have raised in a box, or on a big spacer, your doing more harm than good.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

personally i'de rather bigger parcel shelf rears and no subs , the subs take up too much room in the boot imo , and if you have a gas tank in the boot then forget subs all toghether ! . Everyone seems to think suby's are the be all end off of music systems for cars , I have heard some pearler systems that pumped plenty enough bass by having 3-way speakers all around in the car / not just 2-ways in the doors and 3-ways in the rear or 2-ways everyhwere and a sub in the rear. If you want a disco on wheels that is capable of damaging your eardrums then go for it , get the subs , but by using 3-ways all around and some nice 6x9 in the rear you can get a really pumping sound , specially if u make small boxes to cover the bottoms of the speakers in the parcel shelf ( small boxes covering bottom of the speakers in the boot mounted to the bottom of the parcel shelf ) - make them out of a nice thick NBF wood and fill them full of wool , ull pump the bass out of those 6x9's !! , and still have heaps of space left in the boot.. Unless your running a disco there really is no need for such huge subys ! . Personal choice though that is ..lol , allmost reminds me of the days when people walked around with jukeboxes the size of a fridge on their shoulder , now its all tiny walkmans etc etc .

Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 AM   #18
stiddy
Banned

Remember im only 21, young and stooopid lol..
take up boot space? hell yeah.. but its not too bad to be honest, still pick up a fair bit of shopping without many dramas lol.. plus its good for crusing with the boys/girls.
The 15's and box are currently for sale at the moment, going for a single 12in, im over the 'disco on wheels' but still want some bottom end and a nice 12in will do that.
ive had awsome systems without any subs, Kenwood 7x10's running of a kenwood amp, first thing people asked me was do you have a sub.. and would spin out when they saw it was just an amped set of speakers.
You can still get subs even if you've got a gas setup.. they have subs now which are only 2inches thick, and can be mounted under seats now lol.. technology these days :P
Old 12-03-2006, 03:21 AM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If you want a really nice sound out of 1 suby, look into porting the box its in and tuning the port to stop any horrid rumble with really heavy music ( Metallica is good to tune the port too ) ;) - for those unaware the port hole is the hole about the size of a golfball in the front of the suby box ( most good boxes have them , some don't ), by altering the length of tube on the inside of the box coming off the port you can tune the box to remove back pressure from the back of the speaker ( allows the speaker to move freely back and forth without the pressure inside the box stopping the speaker from fully pumping ), Huge amounts of clear bass can be had by porting your sub boxes corectlly , too much to explain propperly how to do it here , but have a look on the net about porting quadboxes / subwoofer boxes , im sure there will be plenty of info ;) . ( It can save you from blowing the coil in the suby too when pumping the suby flatout ! ) . Have fun and let it pump ..lol , i was the same when i was younger ;) , I'm just getting older now and allready half deaf from playing guitar in bands for years , I need to save what hearing i have left !. lol

Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #20
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
If you want a really nice sound out of 1 suby, look into porting the box its in and tuning the port to stop any horrid rumble with really heavy music ( Metallica is good to tune the port too ) ;) - for those unaware the port hole is the hole about the size of a golfball in the front of the suby box ( most good boxes have them , some don't ), by altering the length of tube on the inside of the box coming off the port you can tune the box to remove back pressure from the back of the speaker ( allows the speaker to move freely back and forth without the pressure inside the box stopping the speaker from fully pumping ), Huge amounts of clear bass can be had by porting your sub boxes corectlly , too much to explain propperly how to do it here , but have a look on the net about porting quadboxes / subwoofer boxes , im sure there will be plenty of info ;) . ( It can save you from blowing the coil in the suby too when pumping the suby flatout ! ) . Have fun and let it pump ..lol , i was the same when i was younger ;) , I'm just getting older now and allready half deaf from playing guitar in bands for years , I need to save what hearing i have left !. lol
really heavy music and metallica? LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! if you want to stop the rumble youd be better off tuning to something heavier with a lot of double kicking on the drums which is more prominent in the mix. the band Opeth comes to mind. their songs range from pounding bass with growls, to melodic acoustic sections. what more could you want from a song to tune your system to. :

/back on topic
Old 12-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
stiddy
Banned

I went for sealed enclosure with my sub box because having 15's they arent the tightest sounding subs, usually floppyish.. and they dont get any better with porting..
So sealed it was to give the 15's some punch and tightness and it worked..
i had my fair share of ported boxes aswell and to be honest I prefer sealed..
(off topic but a good way to kill time until narr fpv gets back with results)

hurry up man lol..
Old 12-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
I went for sealed enclosure with my sub box because having 15's they arent the tightest sounding subs, usually floppyish.. and they dont get any better with porting..
So sealed it was to give the 15's some punch and tightness and it worked..
i had my fair share of ported boxes aswell and to be honest I prefer sealed..
(off topic but a good way to kill time until narr fpv gets back with results)

hurry up man lol..
i have a 12inch sub box made of that perspex stuff they have on the M4 near James Ruse Drive. its bloody heavy and i got a port in the side. with a very 5hitty car speaker/imitation sub from the 70's in it, which is disintergrating LOL! i wanna put a proper sub in it. but that costs money.

that being said, i wonder how your 15s would cope with some effin fast metal or something?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #23
stiddy
Banned

lol your 2 mins away, come and find out??
can organise a time when im home and we can test it
Old 12-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
lol your 2 mins away, come and find out??
can organise a time when im home and we can test it
oh yeah :nutsycuck

ill burn a new cd, cause the damn cdplayer wrecked it :|
Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #25
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.
$300 would get you Alpine Type R 5x7 Splits...
They are a little on the costly side, but I can vouch for the Alpine units.

Mine were in that price range, but I'm not sure that they were called type-r, I'm sure that would have had me running faster than the ute will ever go.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #26
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Quote:
Remember im only 21, young and stooopid lol..
take up boot space? hell yeah..
Yeha who needs boot space?

Last edited by XplodE; 13-03-2006 at 08:13 PM.
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #27
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lol , omg - now thats a disco on wheels

Old 13-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #28
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Not quite, but it did give me somethin to on the weekends... (about 6 months worth of em)
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #29
stiddy
Banned

I got quoted up 2200 for an install like that - less amps.. and the stuff on the boot lid.
pretty nice looking.. but I was only going for one sub, but the perspex looks awsome.

Will still go that route eventually but I want go fast bits now
Old 13-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #30
stiddy
Banned

Xplode, how do the subs sound facing up agaisnt the seat?