Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Rolkus

Default Some jerks threw a trolley of a bridge... Hit my parked car.

In short, just curious to who is liable?

I parked overnight near a small bridge in Wyndham Vale.

Overnight, some (pure speculation) ******* decided to throw a trolley off the bridge. It landed in the bark near my car and fell on to my car.

It damaged the driver side rear-door and wheel-arch.

I've contacted Woolworths and informed them, and told they'll get back to me before Monday, but I expect little support from them as it didn't happen in the carpark.

My issue is in 2 weeks, I am trading it in towards my XR6T. Should I get it fixed before hand, or just trade it in with damage. I've gotten a quote for $500 to fix the damage, but it's $700 excess if done through insurance (no loss of rating, thanks AAMI). But stuff me, I didn't do anything wrong and I'm still stung with a $500 bill.

I've attached pictures, but they're pretty bad due to the phone, and the immediate rage I went through when I saw what had happened, I was probably shaking a bit.

IMAGE ONE

IMAGE TWO

Last edited by Rolkus; 02-05-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Made images links due to size...
Rolkus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Some jerks threw a trolley of a bridge... Hit my parked car.

Geeze that sux.
I know it wasn't the supermarkets fault as they have no control over their customers once they leave the premises and they will have bigger pockets than you but I wonder if they are responsible for trolleys out in the street and the issues they may cause. Talk to your local council to see if there is some weird bylaw or something covering this type of thing.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

That's terrible, but thats the kind of scum who live in Wyndham/Werribee anyway... Time for a new neighbourhood perhaps?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Rolkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
Geeze that sux.
I know it wasn't the supermarkets fault as they have no control over their customers once they leave the premises and they will have bigger pockets than you but I wonder if they are responsible for trolleys out in the street and the issues they may cause. Talk to your local council to see if there is some weird bylaw or something covering this type of thing.
I was thinking as they haven't taken steps to prevent trolleys from leaving the property or collecting them, they MAY be liable, if they say no, it's a no simple and I'll take that on the chin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
That's terrible, but thats the kind of scum who live in Wyndham/Werribee anyway... Time for a new neighbourhood perhaps?
While I am gracious of the empathy, insulting where I live and where my kids go to school isn't helping any situation.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Just polish out what you can and trade it in, don't even spend any more time trying to get someone to pay for it, it wont happen.

Poo happens, Karma will get the culprits one day.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Funny how those shopping trolleys seem to escape the rest of the herd. We often find them grazing individually around here and we're nowhere near town....

My son had two incidents in the same carpark in two days. His car (BF XR6) was in the carpark where he works. When he finished work he found a deep 25cm gouge along the bonnet where either a white tray back 4wd or small truck had reversed into the car. No note was left....
The next day he parked it on the hill there. He came out to find a red Laser hard up against the back bumper. The new Australian who owned the Laser is the new cleaner there and doesn't speak much English at all. They had to call his wife who spoke marginally more English than he did. After much hand waving and gesturing it was explained to them that he (the husband) had left the handbrake off and the transmission out of gear and his Laser had rolled downhill into my sons damaging the rear bar. She got all upset and accused my son of leaving his handbrake off and his car mustve rolled UPHILL into the Laser......
Both instances his employer said that parking there was his risk and sort it out with your own insurance company.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't look to shifting the blame, it's no one fault (apart from the scum that threw the trolley), but it's your car so you wear it.

Woud not be looking at the supermarket or anyone else to blame, as they did nothing wrong, too many people complaining about trolleys may just get them to change the rules to may be the trolleys won't be allowed to leave the store in future, will be fun getting your groceries to the car then...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Just polish out what you can and trade it in, don't even spend any more time trying to get someone to pay for it, it wont happen.

Poo happens, Karma will get the culprits one day.
This one speaks the truth.

Worst case is your trade in valuation drops. If you really want to spend money,get a painless dent remover guy to knock out those dents oboe the wheel.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need to have the trolley system they have in Europe, you put your 2 Euro into the coin thing and then go about your shopping and only get money back when you return trolley. Wouldnt stop all the problem but I am pretty sure it will be a very good deterrent to stop so many stray trollys.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
They need to have the trolley system they have in Europe, you put your 2 Euro into the coin thing and then go about your shopping and only get money back when you return trolley. Wouldnt stop all the problem but I am pretty sure it will be a very good deterrent to stop so many stray trollys.
have that system all over sydney.
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's unfortunate mate, it almost makes you feel like it's not worth owning anything better than a $400 dollar **** box when this stuff happens.
If your going to trade it anyway maybe have a talk to the Dealer, he might say not to worry about it, what's the worst he can say..... Fix it please.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They have that at Aldi
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

And in Vic
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
commonrails

Quote:
Only stops the honest people, muppets just brake the coin mechanisms and carry on as per usual. Oh and guess who indirectly pays for the broken mechanisms? us.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
have that system all over sydney.
Oh I didn't know that mate I live in new Zealand
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh I didn't know that mate I live in new Zealand
Isn't New Zealand a suburb of Bondi? ;)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonrails View Post
Only stops the honest people, muppets just brake the coin mechanisms and carry on as per usual. Oh and guess who indirectly pays for the broken mechanisms? us.
It does reduce the number of abandoned trolleys . I rarely see Aldi trolleys laying in the street, but always see Coles and Wollies ones.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #18
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The trollies at Broadway in Sydney have sensors that lock the wheels when you try and leave the shops or car park.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #19
brennan.

You'll never paintless those dents on the dog leg, maybe the one on the quarter but there's little to no access in there. $500 seems very low for that job, I'd leave it, the last thing you want is a terrible paint job when you're trying to trade it in. Better to lose on trade in value for a few scratches than say a colour match looking like Stevie Wonder has done it.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #20
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

leave it
the hassle to organize to fix it thru warranty or no warranty is not worth it imo
just clean it up best as possible and trade it in
explain what happened if need be but they will prob fix it cheaper than you can and have no trouble selling the car on
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You think you're going to get a fair repair price from the trade-in dealer? I'd be sending them a pic and asking for an estimate how much they'll take off the trade rather than do nothing hoping for the best.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
The trollies at Broadway in Sydney have sensors that lock the wheels when you try and leave the shops or car park.

That must have been what happened, the wheels on the trolley lock up and it lost control

Old 03-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
You think you're going to get a fair repair price from the trade-in dealer? I'd be sending them a pic and asking for an estimate how much they'll take off the trade rather than do nothing hoping for the best.
Why would he be asking the dealer for a repair price? What would they know about it? He's had a quote of $500 to fix it so just take that quote to them and say take it off the trade in price. That's better than rolling up with a rough as guts $500 repair and them taking $1000 off to then fix that.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because they don't have to take that quote? They don't even have to take the car....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #25
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the supermarket may be held responsible. This stuff happens often. Imagine your car gets stolen and then hits another car..who's insurance pays? Most likely your insurance will. Taking the trolley out of the premises (car park) is theft. The supermarkets have insurance for this kind of thing.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #26
Rolkus

Still waiting to hear from Woolworths, they called me today and will be getting back to me probably tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #27
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolkus View Post
Still waiting to hear from Woolworths, they called me today and will be getting back to me probably tomorrow.
Don't get your hopes up, unlikely they will come to the party

Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #28
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Don't get your hopes up, unlikely they will come to the party
Its like having a brick thrown thru your windscreen and trying to sue boral for not keeping their bricks in a secure environment. Pointless.

The only way your insurance will categorize this is " Parked Damage-Responsible Party Unidentified"

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #29
timeout

there is usually a sign up also saying enter the carpark / this facility at your own risk.

Be interested too see if they pay anything or point to the disclaimed.

good luck
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #30
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some time ago my wife came out of the shops to see a bunch of trolleys all resting up against the front of the wagon. Chips all over the bumper and a coupe of small dents. The trolley bay where everyone returns their trolleys is on a slope. When she talked to the manager he informed her that this happens a lot and they are not responsible for the damage. The supermarket is in a small shopping complex and the carpark that services all these shops is separately owned.
After writing letters and arguing, the damage remains on the car, nobody cares and the stupid trolley return is still on the slope allowing the trolleys to roll freely about the carpark in the breeze. Watch where you park seems to be the only fix
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post