Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How do YOU price your car for sale?

Believe it or not, there's a serious point to this. I am trying to gain an insight into how different people approach this, what your thought process is, etc.
Obviously there are no wrong answers; each person is different and that's the point.

Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: How do YOU price your car for sale?

If I want a quick sale I look at the competition and price it cheaper so it's at the top of the search results.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
buggo
[BU66OS]

Pretty much what Yellow said.
When I sold mine I looked at the spread of all the same cars for sale (223 BA XR6's at the time), cancelled out the outliers who were either dreaming of getting $13k or the beaters for $4k, found cars in similar condition, options etc to mine, took $500 off the average and sold it in 6 days sight unseen. Too easy.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

problem is with pricing too low is some people stay away thinking its a bomb,
i have had a few cars sold just under what others sell for and i found women were not interested as they (some of them) seem to think an underpriced car is no good so they are happy to pay more thinking they get a better car
i sold a VY S pac a few weeks ago real cheap and i struggled to get anyone to look at it, but first guy who rocked up bought it without even driving it for the asking amount but took 3 weeks to sell. (same think when i sold my AU3 XR8, no test drive just money in my hand for asking amount)
i'd say advertise for a similar price to others but in your comments say must sell make an offer!! that gets them thinking they are getting a good car and might get it cheap.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

It goes like this:
  • I walk into dealer and say "How much trade in will you give me for this".
  • The dealer gives me a figure.
  • I feel insulted.
  • I go home angry and post a rant on Australian Ford Forums.
  • I then go get a roadworthy certificate.
  • I put my car on carsales for $1500 more than what the dealer offered me.
  • Car is gone soon afterwards.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
HULK_I6T
Banned

I give my car an honest assessment against the cars available for sale. IF mine has less km and is in better condition, I ask a higher price than any other car available for sale. If my car is comparable to the average car available for sale then I price it accordingly.

Buyers will likely look at a few examples of a model so Im always confident mine will stand out. Yes buyers always try and lowball you with other cars on carsales but ill say go and buy that car. I keep my cars immaculate at all times, looks wise and mechanically. If a buyer cheaps out, he gets a lesser car and he knows it. ive sold heaps of cars and every single buyer has been overjoyed with the car and happy they paid a little more to get the 1% things right. I tell them all the little blemishes of the other cars will annoy you and ultimately cost you to get them right, pay a bit more now and just get it right to start with.

Ive sold cars at high prices and sometimes people say "how did you do it", well thats easy, its because my cars are mint condition. A buyer will pay overs for the right car. When I buy a car, ill pay overs too but Ill get the best available, no compromises.

I sold my BA XR8 a few months ago for $25,500, buyer was as happy as can be, it was a fair price in my view too. He still messages me saying how awesome the car is.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 01-07-2014 at 10:55 AM.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
I sold my BA XR8 a few months ago for $25,500, buyer was as happy as can be, it was a fair price in my view too. He still messages me saying how awesome the car is.
Can you please PM me what the KM, colour, condition and options were on it, and any mods it had?

I'm just interested in the details but don't want to bog the thread down on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
pbk1776
00XR00

I compare my car to what the market have in offer - if my car is modded
Ill slightly adjust the price higher against to the same car which is stock and
condition.

but yet again depends on how rush or not rush you are selling
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd say it was gold plated, considering BA XR8's sell from $7k upwards, my mint GT was more than $10k less than that
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
It goes like this:
  • I walk into dealer and say "How much trade in will you give me for this".
  • The dealer gives me a figure.
  • I feel insulted.
  • I go home angry and post a rant on Australian Ford Forums.
  • I then go get a roadworthy certificate.
  • I put my car on carsales for $1500 more than what the dealer offered me.
  • Car is gone soon afterwards.
I did the same (but didn't bother having a rant on FF ;)) then followed Buggos method and got 3K over what three dealers offered. Sold the car 5 days afterlisting it, to the first buyer. While getting the roady sorted I had another party ready to buy sight unseen for a K less. Price realistically and you can't lose.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you own a BF GT. Ask a BF Cobra owner what price they want. Deduct 60% from that and you have the current selling price. ;)

But seriously it is not just the sale price. You need to have a very accurate description of the car and options fitted and also some very good quality, clear photos to help people make up their minds. Some don'ts in ads that I don't like to see:

Lovely photo of the car, with the tyre marks still around the carpark and leading up to the rear wheels.

Couldn't be bothered to throw out the chip bag and drink bottle before taking a photo.

One of a kind. Got something GT related off a wreck and bolted it to an XR6.

Took photos around five minutes to sunset. There is probably a Falcon in the photos, but its hard to tell.

Spent $100000 on the car. Its the most awesome car in the world. Really. So why are you selling it again?

Has obvious signs of being owned and driven by a male. Ad says "Wifes car. Non smoker".

Car says its well into six figures mileage. Ad shows picture of speedo at 23000. Car is 13 years old.

Anyway. If you have modded the car, then list that and be very particular about why and how the car was used. If you say your wife only drove it etc. then that ad is dead for me at least.

Finally look at the current selling prices online. Don't pick the ads that have been there since Noah, because their fully sic car is worth a squillion dollars. Look for the ads that are lower priced and disappear within two or three weeks or less. Thats where the market is buying at. Price accordingly. If your car is in particularly good condition, it might sell faster, but it doesn't mean it will sell for more, so don't get hung up about it. Cars are a depreciating asset.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 01-07-2014 at 11:23 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crazy& Hulk are at it yet again - BA XR8 for $25,500 - Tom Cruise must have been the owner
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr View Post
Crazy& Hulk are at it yet again - BA XR8 for $25,500 - Tom Cruise must have been the owner
I was thinking more along the lines of Craig Lowdnes... That's why I wanted the details - to see what you get for almost $20,000 more than what a dealer would offer at trade in.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I never sell privately, just trade them in when I'm sick of them.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
superfly
Go the Hogster!

If the car is just basic and stock, I would compare it to others that are available for sale, similar spec and condition. Otherwise if modified, then I would price it accordingly. It takes longer to sell (as the price is higher) but hopefully it will sell.

I had my modified WRX listed for $13,800. Got offers to buy for $11K and less. Knocked them back and eventually sold it for $13,250. I had it listed for about 3 months and maybe had about 6-8 enquiries on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
STINKY NINJA
Banned

deleted
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #17
Nova 8

Always in a number ending in zeros, individual prices depends on why I am selling etc, below market if in a rush or above if im not. But I always sell for XXX00, hate when people sell cars privately for 14999 instead of 15000. If you wanna be under 15k just sell for 14900.

Best tip is to try and sell high, real high, when being forced by the other half -.-
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i'd say advertise for a similar price to others but in your comments say must sell make an offer!! that gets them thinking they are getting a good car and might get it cheap.
Interesting.

Your response touches on one of the intriguing add types; where the seller says "I'm leaving the country, must sell, any offer considered," but their car is priced $10k over the market.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I realise I wasn't clear in my OP that my REASON for trying to gain an understanding is as a Purchaser. There is such a bewildering array of cars and prices I am trying to gain insight into what the SELLER is thinking.

So here's another question: You KNOW that whatever you price it at, some wally will come along and offer you $10k less. Do you factor low offers into your price and leave room to negotiate?

If somebody does make you a low-ball offer, do you engage and enter into negotiations? Or just ignore them for being a flogger?

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 01-07-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: I can't even say ******?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
Nova 8

10k under on a car is a lot. But I generally have a lowest point set in my mind, if they say a low number that i dont think can come up to lowest figure I won't bother to negotiate further.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
Guzz226

Depends - often buying/selling is finding a compromise that both will agree to.

Low balling in the hope of gaining a bargain can work in the right circumstances - other times it may insult the seller and kill the deal.

Different people will act differently in such a situation.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When I sold the ambo there were heaps of dreamers on carsales, a few dealerships included who had priced them around $30K and below.

There was another ambo I was competing against with Carsales, they had the ambo body on the back for a little while too but it was a Mader International body, junk.

I advertised for $25K

They went $23,990

I went $22,000

They went $22,000

Then I went $19K and it sold.

Then they took the ambo body off theirs and it was still there for sale lol.

There are still a huge amount of dreamers with ex ambos, 300,000km on the clock with a tray on the back wanting close to $30K.

Dream on mate, mine had around 230,000km on it, and I was only its third owner with me the only person to leave it out on the street rather than in a garage, its first night outside of a garage was when I got it home.

Much better condition than all the beat up pieces of poo for sale on carsales with prices close to $30K lol

The only ones which can command a price above $20K are the last F350s, still go for $40K+

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-07-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #23
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Can you please PM me what the KM, colour, condition and options were on it, and any mods it had?

I'm just interested in the details but don't want to bog the thread down on it.
Pics of car are in show us your ba/bf thread in show n shine section. Posted around April / may 2013. PM sent with details
Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #24
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i'd say it was gold plated, considering BA XR8's sell from $7k upwards, my mint GT was more than $10k less than that
Like it or not that's what it sold for in feb 2014. With one weeks rego left too. I sold it cheap in my opinion.

There is mint according to you but you don't buy mint low km GT for under $15k, under $20k even

As per below check out this xr8 in show us your ba/bf thread.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 01-07-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #25
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Like it or not that's what it sold for in feb 2014. With one weeks rego left too. I sold it cheap in my opinion.

There is mint according to you but you don't buy mint low km GT for under $15k, under $20k even

page 673 of ba/bf thread to be exact..and was an awesome xr8. Had the pleasure of seeing/riding in this beast. Was a steal at $25k.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i lowballed the seller, he said yes and i got a bargain and he got the 4wd he needed that afternoon
if your going to lowball read how desperate the seller is first, i only lowballed as thats all the money i had and could not go higher, i was in the market for a BA Mk2 XR8 but i saw the GT (in mint condition) and just asked if he would consider my offer expecting him to say no.
plenty of GT's under $20k but can't tell you if they are any good though.

back to the OP's question, show your interest before making an offer, don't haggle by SMS if your keen you will call and don't offer an amount over the phone view the car in person that way you can judge what the car is worth. i hate when people say will you take xxxx and don't show up, i say view the car and make an offer. if you are interstate then you can haggle over the phone but make sure you are confident in the car and its value, keeping in mind some people think there car is better than it really is.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also dont advertise on Buy/sell/swap pages on Facebook or on Gumtree, waste of time, all you get are request for swaps with people who have ****** VN Commodores with 19" wheels on the front and 15" steelies on the back.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

I always sell mine for more than what it is worth, always a sucker some where willing to pay.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #29
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jump on carsales and look at similar cars. Then when I work out a price add $2,000 to it to account for tyre kickers and lowballers. Last car I sold I put up for 18K and had people calling/texting offering me 10k-12k. Sold it in a few weeks for 17.5k
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #30
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Trade in's here, although I not long ago swapped a 69 HB Torana for a litre of Jacks to a workmate!
Had it since I was 15(42 now)but I let it go to a good cause... she's just been tubbed ready for some smokey boots(angry 308 planned)