Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default Was I being to hard on him? I hate it when people damage my car

Yesterday I was mowing my lawn and had my xr8 parked across the road, from the bAckyard I noticed A young boy crouched down near my rims. I immediately went running after him, he was off down the street on his scooter, I gave chase and caught him within about 200 meters, I grabbed him by the shirt and we walked back to the car to inspect. He had taken off the Crome valve cap but it was on the road. He denied it and said he dropped his wallet, I said what is your mums number I was going to call her and tell her of her boys activities. He starts crying and pleads and says he would never do it again. I told him I would not let him go until I speak to his mum. He cried and pleaded, I told him that if he tells me the truth I'd let him go, he admitted guilt and I made him promise me he would not steal or damage property ever agAin. I also told him that if I see him around here I would grab him and this time I'd call his mum. I'll tell you he was one very scared young boy. He would have been 10 years old

I know it's only a Crome Valve cap but they need to be taught a lesson.

Was I too hard on him. Thinking back. I should have given him $2 and said here go buy a valve cap but if I ever see him again I'd knock his head off.

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Fled74
The Thread Killa

No you weren't. These kids need to be taught to respect other people's property - the younger the better.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I agree mate i dont think you were too harsh, but in the 'sue em' world we live in we have to be carefull
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
MY70GT
USA AMBASSADOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Yesterday I was mowing my lawn and had my xr8 parked across the road, from the bAckyard I noticed A young boy crouched down near my rims. I immediately went running after him, he was off down the street on his scooter, I gave chase and caught him within about 200 meters, I grabbed him by the shirt and we walked back to the car to inspect. He had taken off the Crome valve cap but it was on the road. He denied it and said he dropped his wallet, I said what is your mums number I was going to call her and tell her of her boys activities. He starts crying and pleads and says he would never do it again. I told him I would not let him go until I speak to his mum. He cried and pleaded, I told him that if he tells me the truth I'd let him go, he admitted guilt and I made him promise me he would not steal or damage property ever agAin. I also told him that if I see him around here I would grab him and this time I'd call his mum.

I know it's only a Crome Valve cap but they need to be taught a lesson.

Was I too hard on him. Thinking back. I should have given him $2 and said here go buy a valve cap but if I ever see him again I'd knock his head off.
I would have done the exact same thing.....it's about respect or in this case the lack of respect for other peoples property. I guarantee this kid will think for a long while before attempting such a thing again. It's the lousy parenting today that is responsible i think. We have become too liberal and permissive with children, and they don't fear any consequences for their actions. I give you thumbs up for what you did.......
2003 Saab 93 SE Convertible

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...osmall2111.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...gt/img003a.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...645x10-1-1.jpg
MY70GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is it with kids & valve caps? do they put them on their bikes? i stick to black plastic ones now to avoid the expense.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It's your car, not his. The kid doesn't know it but you've actually taught him an important life lesson that he probably won't appreciate until he is older.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

/me gives you a standing ovation.

About time we show our youngins about discipline and respect. You have not harmed him, quiet the opposite in my books.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Muzz Landau

I also agree with the actions you took. It may be enough to keep this kid from doing something like this again.
You did a good job to catch a kid on a scooter. I don't think i could have done it.
Muzz Landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Sounds like something i'd do. Had this guy in a shopping centre carpark who thought it was a good idea to be kicking a soccer ball into some make shift goals with cars all around (and mine not too far away). He had hit 5 cars in the process with the ball and I went and had a chat with him.

He played the whole 'I can do what i want' card. So, i thought to myself, i'll fix this little bugger up.

Shopping centre security were askign him to leave shorlty after. He left.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Who here wasn't once the 10 year old boy?
Its just a part of growing up, having some angry bear-man in your grille cos you nicked his vavlecaps or turned the magnetic signs on his car upside down.
Old 27-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its just a part of growing up, having some angry bear-man in your grille cos you nicked his vavlecaps or turned the magnetic signs on his car upside down.
I was (10 once) and have had the "angry bear- man in my grille", he's also dragged me along to front mum and dad, now that's the lessen.
You did the right thing OP, but I think a lot of kids are pretty well versed in "crocodile tears" these days. I think that a lot of them are also well versed in the art of revenge and retribution, so you need to be careful how much wind you can put up their young skirts
Old 27-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stupid kid... razor scooters don't have any use for valve caps
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt you did the right thing HULK_BA. I would of done the same thing, these kids need to be taught a lesson. Woudnt want anyone stuffing up with my car eithers. Good on you for actually chasing before you inspected, lol
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

you handled it well .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Soon to be a knock at your door with his father wanting revenge for you assaulting his angle .. Lol...Been there done that... Still would do the same too...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree handled nicely

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Soon to be a knock at your door with his father wanting revenge for you assaulting his angle .. Lol...Been there done that... Still would do the same too...
LOL . there is always the weigh up approach . hmmmm shout and let the boy go . then buy a new cap for 2 bucks . but the boy learnt nothing .
or do as you did , which the best case scenario taught the boy a life lesson for the good of humanity , but risking the cost of a foot sized dent in your car and tooth repair off the old boy who doesnt think the kid done nuffink wrong .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Yup... +1 for sure...

Too many youngsters today live with the "I want it, and I want it now" mentality... with everything (job, car, house, valve cap, anything)...

It starts younger than 10 too...

My eldest is 6... grade prep... and the kids that are at school with him... makes my blood boil...
My kids get away with a bit as well... I like them to make mistakes, and try to learn from them...

I agree that the kid from OP will seriously think twice before even considering pinching something - even as small as valve caps...
Old 27-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
sleek7

Not too hard at all, the kid needed a harsh reality check to teach him some respect of other peoples property - you may look and admire but do not touch.
Well handled I think, but as others have said you really need to be careful these days of how you handle a situation like this as it can really backfire on you if your not careful.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on ya. Rep points for you!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Some tyre experts will tell you the caps are what is meant to keeps the air in the tyre and stop it leaking out the valves when you hit curbs and that all valves leak slightly etc; they claim valves are just a way of putting air into the tyre not keeping it there. Others argue it's is the valves job to keep the air in the tyre and the caps just stops dust, dirt and moisture getting into the valve so it fails. In any event, its arguably dangerous to run without caps or remove them from a tyre so he had it coming. Unfortunately, I suspect many parents of such kids rather than acting appropriately would think you were overreacting and were bullying their kids.

I have to confess I dreamed/planned/schemed that if I finally caught the approx 17 year old teenager who I suspected had regularly been stealing my locking chrome caps outside a sporting venue (and in the process several times had twisted a valve stem so its seal at the rim broke and I ended up with a flat tyre) by surprise at the scene I would kick him in the **** while he was bent over my tyre so he ended up with a split lip when he banged his face on the wheel. He used to ride around the car park with his mates arrogantly juggling the stolen caps in his hands as we left after my children's game. Despite all attempts to catch him by surprise, it never happened and I later learnt that there were three of them, they were armed with aluminium baseball bats and that they threatened a woman who had caught them meddling with her car so perhaps it was a good thing I never caught them at the scene.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The Michelen man here http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...pressure-tips/ says:
Quote:
The valve cap is also an important item. Buy high-quality valve caps that can help contain the tire’s air, should the core of the valve fail for any reason. Valve caps also keep out moisture, which could freeze and in turn depress the valve core, causing air loss. The cap also keeps out dust and dirt particles, which could also interfere with the proper operation of the valve core and cause air loss
Old 27-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And the Bridgestone man:

Quote:
After checking pressures, ensure that valve caps are replaced as these are the primary seal. Use only sealing-type valve caps.
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...are/facts.aspx
Old 27-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Difference is that there is a cost and inconvenience involved in one antic and theres just a little fun in the other. One is theft the other not. This week valve caps, next week hubcaps then its the wheels. I'm with the OP but maybe not quite so angry as he has said he was.
Not quite so sure little ten year old would go home and tell mum and dad he was caught stealing and some big angry bear man came out and scared the brown stuff out of him.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #25
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

and here's and interesting theory http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4283670

Quote:
Q: You mentioned in a previous column that the tire valve cap will keep the air from being released by centrifugal force at high speeds. Since that is an outward force, and an inward force is required to unseat a tire valve, how can that be true?

A: Because the tire valves usually point inwards towards the center of the wheel. And moving the valve outwards is what opens it. Which is exactly what the centrifugal force provides.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #26
RAPID_BA
Banned

I think I should have contacted his parents. At the end of the day he didn't really pay a price ( except being scared out of his mind ). He either learnt his lesson or he will think he was wronged by me and look to exact revenge.

I certainly couldn't whack him, imagine going to court for assault and defend it against he tried to steal my valve caps.

It's a pet hate of mine, stealing valve caps is the same mentality as keying cars etc etc, respect for others property.

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 27-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #27
fordv8!

you did the right thing!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the same thing happen followed the kid home knocked on his door his dad was there told him what happened his son denied it. I said to this kid I followed you down the road saw you do it where is it he handed it back his dad who was in the army said what have I told you he was ****ed off said how ****ed off he was .
Told his son to take his bmx to his car .
As I drove off his son is putting his bmx in the back of his dads car guess he was grounded for a while.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Yeah you did the right thing mate. I remember I was at a shopping centre and some kids where messing around with trolleys near my old ba xr6. I walked over and politely requested they play on trolleys elsewhere, as my car was very close to them. They all told me where to go, so I gathered two of my mates and came back to ask them again-firmly this time. They wouldn't have been any older than 14, and I was 20 at the time, mates where around my age too, and it was a case of watching them pick up their bags and bolt. Much better than damage occurring or any violence.
Well done.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #30
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Good on you mate. Parents are shocking compared to how i remember my parents. There was a kid jumping up and down on the parents car whilst i was at work recently and they said nothing. They were also ****ed off when i told the kid NO when he was touching the ute.

As someone said, kids dont have any respect for anything or anyone. We live in a world that frowns upon child discipline.

I would also be thinking about who owns the little ****, you may find your car keyed and a brick through your front window. Little Johnny is a little angel dont you know.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post