Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bloody mobile phones!!

This is a rant/question about my mobile phone
Well here goes I bought a brand new top of the range mobile about 6-8 months ago. Within a couple of weeks the joystick stopped working, sent to repair centre, repaced straight away, no worries. Then not long after that my new one kept on freezing all the time, I take it back they send it away to "upgrade software" this takes on average 3 weeks. I had to send it back 5 times before the replaced it this time because that is their "policy". So i get my new phone 3 weeks ago and now the buttons and joystick stuffs up and the cycle starts all over again!! Now through out all this time i have made numerous phone calls to the manufacturer and the service provider to only hear excuses etc... All i relly want is someone to say ok seeing as you have had so much trouble with this model we will give you this our newest one. But nothing only well our policy is this..... I have had loan phones longer than ive had a $700 phone it such a pain in the a#@e.

So if you were me what would you do in my position?

starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

300 bux is about as much as i'd spend on a phone.

freezing and other problems are often caused by malware, spyware, malicious hidden software that you get from ИИИИ like jamster.
Old 28-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

That really sucks!, may I ask what kind of phone you got?
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate mobiles
What carrier are with?
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
StorminaTcup

Threaten that you will go to another dealer if they dont replace the phone with a new one. Unless you took out insurance on the phone, I believe that they are probably be within their rights to send it back for repairs. If you have a good dealer, they would replace it with a new one (the same as you purchased)
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

ive got insurance on my phone, and they sent it away to get repaired...

you wouldnt be talking about a certain Nokia 3230 would you? These problems sound a little too similar.

What ever happened to the old phones that worked?! so much for technology making life easier!
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*hugs his 3315*

Who needs Java, seriously..... It's a phone people!
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Love my Motorola V3688+

Got it for $40 with a new charger, battery, leather case and car charger.

It's got no colour crap, no wap, no BS. It's a phone. It makes calls. It always works. And it's not very big either. I love it
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

starkers EB: personally I think you need to call their bluff a bit. But before you do, do some research, ring consumer affairs and find out who you can deal with in this..
When you ring the provider again, have cold hard facts at hand.
I found out I could cancel my policy with a company simply because they breached the 'contract' within the first 24 hours... (the phone didnt work)..
I was given another phone and my plan was changed to what I actually wanted instead of what they wanted me to have (all because I had already contacted another provided and was able to state exactly what phone, deal and the persons name I dealt with was)...

Yes, I do believe you have every right to be upset.. but, make sure you follow it up calmly and collect facts first.

Good luck, let us know how it all works out for you...

*love my motorola V3...... well for now until it plays up :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

The last decent nokia i had was the 33 series (3330)
Now that its a mass market thing quality goes down the drain.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After having 4 nokia's over the last eight years and the last one a 6220, i will not have another nokia, this phone is in mint condition but the constant switching off even though battery is 1/4 to 1/2 charged was really frustrating (common with this model & 6225 i'm told). Switched to sony ericsson walkman and apart from having to re-learn the menu functions, a real good phone, oh, and better still, due to being a valued customer no handset repayments!, does'nt hurt to ask the question.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

New phones are going to have a large amount of Faults. The phone manufactures create a new phone ever 6 months and put all the features and gadgets because they need to capture market share so testing of the phone isn't done as often. With more and more programming going into these phones they are going to start crashing. Also manufacturing processes create all sorts of hardware faults and things like moving a soldering station can make the amount of defect jump.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
Mk II

Hey StarkersEB,
Can i ask who you are with? I work for a telstra shop and I will try and explain our policies to help you out!!
When we sell a mobile phone we have a 30 day "lemon policy", that is if the phone is returned faulty within 30 days it is replaced, no questions asked straight away.
After that all phones have a 12 month warranty, so if you have been paying for these repairs you have been screwed over and need to talk to your provider.
When the phone is sent away it is actually out of your providers hands, so ringing them probobly wont help you im afraid, however, if your phone comes back from repair 3 times and isnt fixed (and the problem isnt liquid ingress (spelling)) it should be replaced with a model of the same value for you.
Another thing, what model is your phone, if you tell me that i may be able to get you some info on what is goin wrong, and how you may be able to get it fixed once and for all!!!

Hope thats been a help to you
Mk II
Mk II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah i hate mobiles, but i cant live without them i normally only spend $600 on a phone, and they always die at about 18months, 6 months b4 contract is up, but i got the N70 this time which was closer to a 1000, but it has 2 yr warranty.
Old 29-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

Love my Motorola V3688+

Got it for $40 with a new charger, battery, leather case and car charger.

It's got no colour crap, no wap, no BS. It's a phone. It makes calls. It always works. And it's not very big either. I love it
Lol - did it come with the doublemint???

Ive had my current phone for the better part of a year and i have to say ive been very very very impressed with it (nokia 6630). Ive seen many other camera/flip phones fall by the wayside but this thing has performed like a champion. Never even had to reset it.

Takes great pics (no need for a digicam now), all sorts of software available for it (playing around with TomTom navigation) but more importantly its never hung, frozen, stopped.

Best $1000 ive spent in a long long time and wont need to upgrade for ages.
Old 29-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

mate ditch the $700 piece of crap and get a $100 jobbie ive had about 5 of them and they all work all the time with out a dout,dont waste ya time and money of them when they will be out of fashion in a month and a new one will be out
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #17
BlackLS

I know a fair bit about phones, and used to do a fair bit with them in a market phone repair/case stalls. I also used to play around with the flash files and upload them onto the phone.

I'd only go with Samsung. I have converted all the family's phones to Samsung, except for my dad who uses a 3310 (33xx series was the last good nokia phone) THe only problem we had is with a E700, the phone fell out my sisters pocket, was stepped on whilst open. That sorta killed the phone. I now have a E730 (bought of ebay Mid last year for $300, had a look in Telstra 2 months ago, was over $800 outright). I have had no problems with this phone and it takes alright photos as well

My mother has a E530 (pinky/purple tinted titanium case) and brother a D500 and we all do not have any complaints. Their software and processors are good (Nokia colour screens and Motorolas are feel too laggy and clumsy for me), screen is big and clear, controls are fairly easy (takes a day or 2 to work out the space button is on the hash key, and runs Java programs fairly quickly. FM radio and MP3 player are also great features, as is Bluetooth and speakerphone

And for the love of God don't get a 3 phone!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #18
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
ive got insurance on my phone, and they sent it away to get repaired...

you wouldnt be talking about a certain Nokia 3230 would you? These problems sound a little too similar.

What ever happened to the old phones that worked?! so much for technology making life easier!
I've got a 3230. I treat phones pretty badly and the 3230 is the only phone I've had for longer than 6mths without a failure. I've had the phone over 12mths now. I'm very happy with it. It starts up slow but thats easily sorted. Don't turn it off ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Pitty purchase wasnt within the last 6 months and on a credit card

I would have dumped the phone back to the seller, with a letter detailing faults, and disputed the credit card transaction
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I've got a 3230. I treat phones pretty badly and the 3230 is the only phone I've had for longer than 6mths without a failure. I've had the phone over 12mths now. I'm very happy with it. It starts up slow but thats easily sorted. Don't turn it off ;)
I have a 3230 too, brilliant phone, my phone cops a fair bashing and i have never had a trouble, although i did shatter the screen... but that was my fault, not the phone :(
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #21
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk II
Hey StarkersEB,
Can i ask who you are with? I work for a telstra shop and I will try and explain our policies to help you out!!
When we sell a mobile phone we have a 30 day "lemon policy", that is if the phone is returned faulty within 30 days it is replaced, no questions asked straight away.
After that all phones have a 12 month warranty, so if you have been paying for these repairs you have been screwed over and need to talk to your provider.
When the phone is sent away it is actually out of your providers hands, so ringing them probobly wont help you im afraid, however, if your phone comes back from repair 3 times and isnt fixed (and the problem isnt liquid ingress (spelling)) it should be replaced with a model of the same value for you.
Another thing, what model is your phone, if you tell me that i may be able to get you some info on what is goin wrong, and how you may be able to get it fixed once and for all!!!

Hope thats been a help to you
Mk II
Its a sony ericsson k750i and im with vodafone for all those asking (i would like to say though this is no disrespect to vodafone i know they have done all they can its sonys problem) I have yet to pay for a repair just had the inconveinence of having to take it in every week or so. Its interesting you say if it has been back more than 3 times they should replace with a phone of the same value because ive asked them to do that and they said it wasnt their policy to do this. I would appreciate any tips on what to do. I guess if all else fails ill just ring consumer affairs or even just say i will to try and get their bluff. CHEERS guys
Old 29-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #22
Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
Its a sony ericsson k750i and im with vodafone for all those asking (i would like to say though this is no disrespect to vodafone i know they have done all they can its sonys problem) I have yet to pay for a repair just had the inconveinence of having to take it in every week or so. Its interesting you say if it has been back more than 3 times they should replace with a phone of the same value because ive asked them to do that and they said it wasnt their policy to do this. I would appreciate any tips on what to do. I guess if all else fails ill just ring consumer affairs or even just say i will to try and get their bluff. CHEERS guys
I dont know or need to know vodafones return/repair policy, thats just ours. Has the phone been coming back repaired and then the same fault occurs straight away? Or is the phone returning unrepaired?
I understand your inconvenience and hope you get it fixed soon!!

Mk II
Mk II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #23
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Pitty purchase wasnt within the last 6 months and on a credit card

I would have dumped the phone back to the seller, with a letter detailing faults, and disputed the credit card transaction
An interesting suggestion. Have you done this, perhaps not specifically with a mobile phone, with any success? I know credit card companies like AMEX and Diners will go into bat for you, but this basically getting them to take the fight up for you.

Good idea, keen to know if it would work.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #24
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

You have to realise that it isn't the service providers problem at all. And the dealer can only play as the middle man between the end user and the manufacturer.
Dealers cannot straight up replace phones willy nilly, because it is putting them out of pocket for no good reason. It is up to the manufacturer to issue a replacement, not the dealer or agent.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Just recently changed from 3 network to optus and got myself a new samsung d600. awesome phone, classy, and got it free on a $35 business plan. Cant complain with that!

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1022;pt;1

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by Laminge; 30-03-2006 at 01:23 PM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #26
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
You have to realise that it isn't the service providers problem at all. And the dealer can only play as the middle man between the end user and the manufacturer.
Dealers cannot straight up replace phones willy nilly, because it is putting them out of pocket for no good reason. It is up to the manufacturer to issue a replacement, not the dealer or agent.
Thats exactly what i have said I know it is not the dealers problem, the only reason i have contacted the dealer is because i thought they may have better luck sorting things out with sony.
Old 30-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #27
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk II
I dont know or need to know vodafones return/repair policy, thats just ours. Has the phone been coming back repaired and then the same fault occurs straight away? Or is the phone returning unrepaired?
I understand your inconvenience and hope you get it fixed soon!!

Mk II
Its coming back repaired (apparently) and then sometimes within hours the same fault has happened.
Old 30-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #28
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Sony phones are garbage, I had a T100 2 years ago that would never get service and contantly crash and lately I bought a Z520i and it's getting repaired as we speak...
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #29
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had my Sony T610 for nearly 2 years... never had any problems... except that it has ИИИИe reception all of the time... But have heard that a LOT of people have had issues with sony phones recently so my next phone will be a Motorola
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #30
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

contact the communication ombudsman, also contact the department of fair trading, get yourself aquainted with your rights. Then go to town on the "This device is not of merchantable quality, I want my money back, or another model of phone."

The dealer IS responsible for the product they sell, they took your money, that is the price they pay. They are required to assist you as the customer by contacting their wholesaler on your behalf and brokering a decent result to the situation.

They are also responsible to you as the customer for dealing with "Shock Horror" Customer Relations. Complaining about the maker isnt good enough, they should be liasing with their wholesaler to try and reach a fair outcome. If they know the phones are crap and are selling them, they get to deal with problems, if they dont want the problems, dont sell crap phones.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post