Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #61
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
There is more to global warming than Al Gore. He was just passionate enough about it to push it to the public, good on him.
Yes... and guess what house was still lit up like a Christmas tree during that Earth Hour thing where everyone was asked to turn off all lights and non essential power using items for the 'cause'??

Mr Gore's residence.

Apparently his family home consumes 9-10 times the energy of a regular American household. :

In my opinion, global warming is a steaming crock of bull pat...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #62
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

There is more to global warming than Al Gore. He was just passionate enough about it to push it to the public, good on him.
There is a difference between being passionate and being an absolute misguided fool .....

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #63
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
There is a difference between being passionate and being an absolute misguided fool .....
Hsv -take note w427
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #64
mikestp
EF Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
next time you pour a drink put some ice cube's in and see how much displacement their is.
That is of no relevance at all, if you add some ice to a glass of water, of course the water will rise. That is completely different to ice that is already in the water melting.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #65
Wally
XP Coupe

I guess we are so conditioned to fads these days we can't conceive the global warming issue is anything but a passing phase. Life was much easier when the word came from an English or German scientist rather than a hack US politician.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #66
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
// on a side topic, are you about 40 years old? Curious because you said "Nintendo" lol.
You do realise the Nintendo Wii is the worlds best selling gaming console do you...... :togo:
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #67
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I guess we are so conditioned to fads these days we can't conceive the global warming issue is anything but a passing phase. Life was much easier when the word came from an English or German scientist rather than a hack US politician.
Or we are so used to hearing bulls@#t we dont know what to believe any more .
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #68
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
So very true, to many minorities/ppl with their own agenda.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #69
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Yes so true and I think the reason there is so much BS out there is because the majority of the populations are brain dead sheep who are idiots that believe anything they are told. I know so many people who will buy one product over another because on the label there's an extra few words that describe the product better. So many people that care too much what people think and do things to look good and impress, so many people that can't think for themselves the only option for them is to jump on the nearest bandwagon and go with the flow. When most people are easy targets that's when you get the money hungry companies/individuals with products/ideas to sell rubbing there hands together brainstorming crap that they know will get the $$$$ rolling in
Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #70
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
They say that global warming will caused the polar ice caps to melt & sea levels to rise.
But here's my question. Doesn't water expand when frozen? Therefore, if the ice caps melt, wouldn't the sea levels drop?
I'm with burnz on this one, and think your wrong.

Heres an experiment that will proove it for you -

get a glass with some water in it
now add a few ice blocks
come back in a few hours after the ice has melted
and you will see the water has risen.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #71
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97

now add a few ice blocks
But don't forget on the larger/global scale there is also evaporation rates to consider.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #72
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Global Warming/Cooling has been happening for Thousands if not Millions of years, People are just making a bigger deal about it these days IMHO

Here is a chart I found while doing some Global Temp Change Research.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #73
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
But don't forget on the larger/global scale there is also evaporation rates to consider.
Which would eventually fall back to land/sea anyway...
Old 09-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #74
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:

now add a few ice blocks
You haven't actually done this experiment to come to that conclusion.
It does not rise.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #75
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Never ask this question on a car forum, it's like asking the worlds best nintendo player how to make a girl pass out from pleasure, no clue
no better still, go and ask it on a greeny forum where everybody has no idea about everything.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #76
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
You haven't actually done this experiment to come to that conclusion.
It does not rise.
So what happens then? Must have seen things when i tried it
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #77
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what happens then? Must have seen things when i tried it
The density of the ice is less than the water so it floats. The mass of the ice displaces the same mass of water to set the level.

When the ice melts it becomes water and is therefore the same density so displaces the same as before so the level does not change.

Archimedes in ancient Greece (250BC +/-) is credited for the discovery of this principle.

The big whinge about oceans rising is that most ice in the world is not floating it is on land.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #78
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey, come on guys I thought we were talking about Global Warming, theres no room for rational thought or logic in here.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #79
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The density of the ice is less than the water so it floats. The mass of the ice displaces the same mass of water to set the level.

When the ice melts it becomes water and is therefore the same density so displaces the same as before so the level does not change.

Archimedes in ancient Greece (250BC +/-) is credited for the discovery of this principle.

The big whinge about oceans rising is that most ice in the world is not floating it is on land.
Beware the miniscus......

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 09-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #80
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Eureka! :
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #81
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
You do realise the Nintendo Wii is the worlds best selling gaming console do you...... :togo:

// I do but its more for "casual" gamers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #82
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't think were all on the same page here. Just so you know, I was not talking about floating ice, but ice that is falling off icecaps into the water and subsequently melt.

What I meant with my "experiment" was put about 20-40ml of water in a glass, then the rest with ice cubes up to the brim. This replicates the melting of icebergs - which can result in ice falling from mainland into the ocean, hence making it raise. The water that was only about 1 cm above the bottom will raise as the ice melts. Simple.

And regarding the original post that my reply was for, proves a something even more, and that is that water levels do not drop as ice melts.

Sorry if I didn't make my self clear.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #83
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dave, neither you or I will still be alive to see who was right and who was wrong so there's not too much point arguing about it. But there are some facts right now, the worlds forests are for the most part long gone, co2 production is way up. There has never been that combination since complex life evolved, something will give sooner or later but neither of us will ever know. Still, it's much better for us the enviroment and future gernerations for us to cut our use of finite resources and polluting ways no matter what the temperature does. I beleive there would be nothing finer than charging up your 12 second car from your solar panels and never having to worry about fuel etc again so whatever regulations they want to impose on the world regarding use of fossil fuels and emmisions I'm going with it. There's a crap load of people in the world smarter than me but I'm still able to see unless something changes one way or another how we live right now is not going to work even in the relatively short term. When I doubt I think we owe it to the future to assume the worst, live a modest life with the least impact possible and leave it at that
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #84
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
again so whatever regulations they want to impose on the world regarding use of fossil fuels and emmisions I'm going with it.
So when this ETS comes in and they move the little left of our industry to India or China where the output of CO2 will be worse is that something that you would agree with?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #85
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
I dont think anyone is denying that global warming is happening
On the contrary.. I think a lot of people are denying it.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #86
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
On the contrary.. I think a lot of people are denying it.
That statement suggests global warming is a fact. Many people who aren't conditioned to believing everything the mainstream media tells them doesn't neccessarily believe so.

I was under the impression that an Australian scientist working at our station in Antartica has found that the icecap there is the thickest it's been there for 80 odd years.

Also, I have heard it around that the earth has been cooling for the past 6 years or so.

Also, there are many, many scientists who disagree that the world is heating up to hell.

I suppose there's not enough money to be made by scaremongers when people aren't frightened out of their skins. Also, when people aren't frightened, it's far harder to control them.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #87
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
A drop in temperature for 2007 by 0.7 degrees isn't a trend........ the trend over the past 35 years has been a substantial increase in temperatures.

Anyone who thinks that global warming is a crock is certainly living with their head stuck firmly where the sun doesn't shine!
If global warming is a fact, and we're all about to burn, how the heck can there be ANY decrease in temp? If it's as bad as the scaremongers and those clamouring for research funding say, then all we should see are increases. Have the world's co2 levels gone down?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #88
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Not sure if this has been posted but anyway

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...007146,00.html

If you ask me its all a load of BS in order to produce some $$$ just like so many things out there. And that conclusion didnt just come from the posted link but from actual scientific research
Bolt sums up the evidence nicely for me here. Thanks for the link ea90g.

Of course the mere mention of his name usually prompts people to scream things like "what would he know" and "he's not a scientist" and "he's so conservative" etc, etc, etc.

I think he has the guts to say what many are way too scared to.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 10-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #89
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Notice that the pollies have a bet each way now, as they all refer to "Climate Change" and not "Global Warming". Two different things, but related.
We all know that there were large climate changes in the past, and there will be in the future. These are not man-made.
Mankind is showing its arrogance, in that it thinks it can control EVERYTHING, even climate.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #90
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
We all know that there were large climate changes in the past, and there will be in the future. These are not man-made.
Mankind is showing its arrogance, in that it thinks it can control EVERYTHING, even climate.
Nicely said.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Closed Thread