Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Tom_Jane
Banned

Default binoculars

hi.
I want to buy some binoculars. The main purpose will be to check targets I am shooting at.
But of course it wouldnt hurt to get ones that may be handy for more than just this particular use.
I have never bought binoculars before believe it or not.
Can anyone tell me what features a good pair of binoculars must have and what kind of magnification/strength (whatever the correct word would be) is recommened?

Thanks

Tom_Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get a special one called a monocular I think, which is only one eye piece specifiaclly for checking targets, bit like a scope.
But if you want multi function then get binoculars. Then you have to decide over what distance you want to use them and how big do you want thrm to be size wise.
Some camera shops stock them so it might pay to go in and chew their ear about what you want.
Over what distance will you be shooting?
Old 17-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try your local gun shop/army surplus store??

PS when I was looking at the Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris there is DEFINATLY no photo's allowed and there was a security guard standing next to it keeping an eye out just yelling "NO PHOTO'S" - people took photos but he just yelled at them making it a bit intimidating.
But there was a cheeky guy at the back of the crowd with a pair of binocular's with a built in digital camera looking at the picture (as its not that big) But yeh he looked suss
I think the binoculars are meant for bird watching and he was using them to take pictures of the Mona Lisa - probably for commercial purposes id say.

Id love a pair of super strength binoculars -like the ones thay have in Sydney tower. I pointed them at a road bridge and what looked like tiny orange dots turned out to be bridge workers slacking off having cigaretts in fluro vests - Id hate to live in an apartment facing the Sydney tower.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post