Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default An American road rule we dont need.

Found this today on Snopes.

Now I'm all in favour of slowing right down when emergency vehicles are stopped on the side of the road doing their job, but this is taking it a little too far.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

Old 24-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

I know in SA you need to be doing 40kph past an emergency vehicle with lights on but I've never heard of anyone who's been done for it despite few people actually doing it.

I also recall my Dad saying in Canada if you see an emergency vehicle moving with lights on you need to either pull over to the outside lane or pull off the road completely. But this was years ago so it may have changed.
Old 24-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW; If that didn't constitute entrapment, I don't know what would.

Been 6 years since the story. Wonder what's keeping them over here. They would usually be jumping at the chance of a law like that
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

wouldn't get any revenue from it here. rubbernecks ensure that all traffic in both directions is slowed to a near walking pace.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
WOW; If that didn't constitute entrapment, I don't know what would.

Been 6 years since the story. Wonder what's keeping them over here. They would usually be jumping at the chance of a law like that
How is that entrapment?

I don't have a problem with it, how many dash mounted videos have we seen of cops getting clipped by cars while they are on the side of the road. We slow down for roadworks, in part to make it a little safer for the guys walking around why not for cops too?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Entrapment is not valid here but it was certainly dirty tactics.
Old 24-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
3vXT

EDIT: nevermind, i'm a little drunk and in a bad mood. No need for me to get argumentative, sorry
Old 24-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Drunk? at this time of day/night...half ya luck, I have to go to work in about 6 hrs so it's only coffee for me !!

I called it dirty tactics as there were 4 HP cars in the space of a mile all booking drivers for the same thing.
Old 24-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so many times I have seen vicpol get highly frustrated at the "slow to a crawl and rubberneck" behavior - I see them out there waving their arms feverishly wanting the traffic to "move" kinda flies in the face of that rule.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
How is that entrapment?

I don't have a problem with it, how many dash mounted videos have we seen of cops getting clipped by cars while they are on the side of the road. We slow down for roadworks, in part to make it a little safer for the guys walking around why not for cops too?
Move car or pull over place into a safer area..Like all the road workers have to...Follow HACS...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Move car or pull over place into a safer area..Like all the road workers have to...Follow HACS...
That's not always a realistic option, what if there isn't room to pull off the road? I guess they should just let people drive off?

People are that scared of 'the man' enforcing laws on us that they seem to forget common sense. Sometimes cops have to stop their cars on the road for whatever reason, common sense would dictate that it is a little safer for them if the cars driving past are traveling a little slower. Obviously its still going to be dangerous but anything is better than nothing.
Old 25-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

We there was a HUGE traffic accident on the western ringroad in melb on the outbound this morning and obviously due to rubber neckers they shut both directions so they diverted everyone off in both directions at the exits either side.

Its true when you watch those cop show they say generally when theres 1 accident you'll get another one from rubber neckers and from our driving experience its true all of a sudden the person in the right lane will slow right down to look and someones coming at limit its dangerous.

But we are all humans......

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #13
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps Aussie driver are a little more considerate or have a little more CDF when it comes to dealing with emergency vehicles?

I'm not sure if, at this point in time, drivers running down emergency workers is a big problem in Australia? It would certainly make national news if an emergency worker was killed like this (it has happened I'm sure, just not in the proportions as outlined in the article).

Our problem is probably quite the opposite, too many drivers slowing down for a rubber neck.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #14
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Perhaps Aussie driver are a little more considerate or have a little more CDF when it comes to dealing with emergency vehicles?

I'm not sure if, at this point in time, drivers running down emergency workers is a big problem in Australia? It would certainly make national news if an emergency worker was killed like this (it has happened I'm sure, just not in the proportions as outlined in the article).

Our problem is probably quite the opposite, too many drivers slowing down for a rubber neck.
True.

The only times i can think of where a cop here has been hit with a car have been when the driver has run them down on purpose or tried to take off with the cop going for the keys. There was the one a while back where the guy getting chased swerved to miss the spikes (years ago when they were trialing them) and killed the cop but they are different situations entirely.

EDIT: For the record, i don't really think we need this law here either. I just wouldn't have a problem with it if it was.
Old 25-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I am going to go against the grain here, I think we do need the law. I have had a number of times when the condition of our patient has changed and my partner has urgently required my help for a procedure. So I pull as far off the road as I can and turn on the emergency beacons. Then I have to sit in the drivers seat and wait for a break in the traffic as the cars still keep rushing past, not moving over to the other lane to give me room to open the drivers door. Meanwhile my partner is sweating because he needs my help, the patient is getting worse and I can't get to the back.

I also would hate to estimate the number of times I have been at an accident that takes up one lane, leaving one free and have had drivers go through the scene at unsafe speeds. They are normally taxi drivers, truck drivers or guys with doof doof music and big rear wings on a pulsar.

I am going to suggest the main reason we have not had more injuries is because our emergency services personel are so good at taking care of themselves. For the record QLD has had at least three ambulances written off in the last five years by a motorist hitting it while it is stationary with emergency beacons operating.
Old 25-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

In the USA if you see a police car on the side of the interstate or highway you are required by law to move into the next lane as an additional buffer of safety. I have driven over 100,000 miles in the states and been to every state besides Rhode Island and it is a uniform rule all over the USA. This is a brilliant rule when you see it executed, but I guess it wouldn't work here as a number of drivers are far too inconsiderate to let anyone else into their lane.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

I'm with Gecko on this one. The Laws intent is to reduce / prevent Injuries to Emergency Services People on the side of the Road. It is really just a matter of being courteous. If you see an Emergency Worker on the side of the Road, move over and give them a bit of room, or slow down.

Put yourself in their Shoes. Would you like to be working with something wizzing past you at 100 km/h that close to you?

Lastly, I think the major problem for the People using the Road is knowledge of the Law. People can't abide by laws if they don't know they exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Scott

Ahh, CDF - not enough around if you ask me. This seems pretty reasonable to me, I generally wipe off a bit of speed when there's emergency vehicles with their lights on by the road, where I can I take a wide berth too. It's not like you can't see them.

If it is, or becomes a rule, just make sure people know it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I thought it was just common sense and decency to either slow down or move over when you see an emergency vehicle on the side of a highway.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
Lastly, I think the major problem for the People using the Road is knowledge of the Law. People can't abide by laws if they don't know they exist.
Agree 100%. Most people seem to be oblivious too of the most basic laws such as indicating when you are changing lanes, turning a corner or pulling over. Roundabouts is annoying too, especially with morons who think it's a case of "giving way to the right" instead of giving way to vehicles already present on the roundabout. The amount of losers you see speeding through these things at 60 because they can't see anything approach to their right is hideous, and plenty an accident is caused as a result.

Quote: