Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: What should Dave do?
Don't be silly, you don't need a work ute - keep the AU and spend a bit of $$$ 7 28.00%
It's time to move on - get the ute and ditch the AU 9 36.00%
Why not have both? Keep the AU and get the ute 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default What do you think I should do?

OK so in 2011 the AU didn't receive too much love...

My circumstances have changed a bit over the course of the year just gone, and now I'm left wondering what course of action I should take car-wise in 2012....and I was hoping for a few opinions from my fellow AUvians...

Basically for me to keep the AU going, it needs to have a decent bit of $$$ thrown at it in the short term...which isn't really a problem, but I'm just wondering if it's the wisest choice I could be making...

As some of you may or may not be aware, I recently left my previous job and the detailing has now gone full-time.

This has me thinking that I should be trying to get my hands on more of a 'work' car - I'd be wanting a nice ute for practicality / promotional purposes. Budget would be around the $13-$18K mark, would love to get into a BFII XR6T or XR8 with the ZF, otherwise I'd even consider a VZ SS. I would possibly even consider an AUIII, BA II or a VY SS, but then they'd have to be manual, and if it was a Ford it would have to have a hard lid...

However it isn't an essential thing at this stage to get the ute, more of a personal fetish that I'd just like to have one. Combined with the fact that it's almost not worth getting rid of the AU as I reckon I'd only get $4-4.5K and even less for a trade in....this leaves me a bit unsure as to what I should do!

If I were to keep the AU, I'd want to do a few more things to it to freshen it up a bit. I would be wanting/needing to do the following things soon:

- New tyres all around + fitting & alignment
- get MACE manifold insulators installed (have them already)
- replace coilpack
- install Whiteline 27mm front swaybar (have it already)
- new brake pads (have them already)
- replace coolant and change hoses (got a brand new Gates set for cheap)
- would love to get a 3:45 diff from an XR (might be able to get this soon as well) - if this happens I'd get some new rear wheel bearings for it as well. (QUESTION - Would I need to replace the speedo transducer as well if I got the shorter diff?)

Would also potentially be wanting to replace the front ball joints (not sure if they actually need doing but I'd be surprised if they didn't)...

As well as a full service, I'd say around $2K for purchase and installation of everything to get it to a point where I'd be happy with it again (I think).

But, am I wasting my time (and money) on the AU?

Should I just cut my losses? The car has been nothing but fantastic since I've had it, not a single thing gone wrong with it except for the drivers side mirror glass (a clip fell out and now it's hanging loose), a lot of things have been replaced or upgraded ahead of time (ie leads, brake rotors & pads, trans reguarly serviced, diff oil).

But I'm now really wanting a car that's faster, plain and simple. Not to go doing any stupid stuff, but I just want more grunt under the foot when I want/need it. Will the additions I could make on the AU be enough to satisfy my craving? I don't know...

What should I do?

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 29-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Default Re: What do you think I should do?

There is alot of sentimental towards your AU. If its not too much to stretch I would keep both.

Your also asking to get a 'perfoamance' car so maybe the AU doesn't have enough go is what your saying?

Ute is practical and so is a wagon, maybe consider (don't shoot me) ve ss sports wagon if budget stretches?

The gains you would get out of buying a newer car would be better then upgrading the AU (personal opinion). Comparing against a BF MK II XR6 Turbo, the BF is faster, does give better street cred and is practical. I have learnt my lesson about saying anything about the looks between the two.

A few changes to a Turbo ute would go a longer way in perfoamance wise against an AU.

All the best mate.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Jimmyd
Banned

Keep the AU.

Change of diff ratio will need to replace speedo drive gear - 3.45 diff will need black speedo drive cog, available over the counter at your local dealer.

Feeling the need for speed? Plenty of bolt on options

http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford_au_6cyl.htm

http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=36

http://www.snortperformance.com/ford...turbo_kits.htm

Last edited by Jimmyd; 29-12-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isn't your AU a sedan? i was in the exact same boat a while ago dave, wagon solves all the problems, utes for detailing is just overkill.. plain and simple. and if you did get one (as you said) it would be for personal reasons/enjoyment.

my ef wagon was 100% spot on, everything fit in the back, with excellent visibility and the bf wagon even better. an SUV would be better but if you want one for the same price you suffer in quality/age.

i have no idea how well you full time detailing is going so i wont assume... but if you are eligable for a loan, i say go for it. get yourself a nice car and go from there.

i got the loan for my bf while detailing 100% on my own.

my vote went for keep both cars. thats where i am, ive got my fun car and my work car. excellent balance. and my wagon is suited to EVERYTHING.

i have fitted washing machines, camping gear, tools, car parts etc etc. and can still put 5 people in the car, and get 600k's for $50.

good luck with your desicion.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the AU`s are good old car, but they are getting on in age, like some of us :(.
i love my au but i`ve had it for near on 7 years, and sometimes i wish for a change just for the hell of it, for the price you have listed there are some top second hand buys out there, i came across a really nice condition , dunno the color, yellowy goldy yellowy........ ba v8 fairmont for about $13 k.......... with very low k`s grouse paint/body/interior..........for me very tempting.
if it feels right do it i say.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Nice AU's are becoming a rarity these days.... BF etc = Everywhere. Iam being pretty biased here as Ive just purchased my 3rd AU...
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So as much as i'm an 'onward and upward' kind of fellow, I really feel that the lowest total cost of ownership comes from maintaining your AU for as long as you can. Have the maintenance aspects like pads, coolant, coilpak changed first (for your safety if nothing else) and then concentrate on your performance mods later.

I've had my own business before (heh still do, but it's sleeping lol) and if you're relying on income from jobs done rather than a regular wage, it's best not to splash out on a near new V8 just yet. Wait until you've felt out what the month-in, month-out cashflow is really like and then decide.
Old 29-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ditch the old AU and around the 18 k mark you could nearly snag a AU3 250 pursuit ute ..best of both worlds

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Ditch the old AU and around the 18 k mark you could nearly snag a AU3 250 pursuit ute ..best of both worlds
Agreed, sort of. For the business you're in, I reckon you need something that turns heads - but an ordinary AU isn't going to do it, and to most people, even the Pursuit ute looks ordinary. Also, I reckon many Holden owners won't use a business that uses a Ford ute (I don't think they'd notice a ford ute). So I reckon you should get your bum into a Holden SS ute - fully detailed, with large sign writing on the sides and tailgate, and always sparkling, of course! Or an SSV wagon, though that's probably out of your budget. Either way, you'll get noticed more in the holden than in the ford (hate to say it.....)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
robbyj
Rob

Sell the AU
Buy an AU II or III XR 6/8 Ute and supercharge it

Obviously you'll have the paint looking immaculate, along with some nice cosmetic mods (boss bonnet, dumped, hard lid, nice rims)

For 15-18k, plus the sale of your AU, you could have a really really nice AU XR Ute. If i saw a detailer driving in an immaculate 'Unique'
(Nice AUs are unique these days) looking Ute with a S/C screaming its head off.. my head would turn, and your business noted.

As for the whole youll get more business in a commy.. i dont think so, the die hard "bogans" against fords "probably" cant afford their car to be detailed. Someone looking to get their car detailed is going to look at what sort of work you do, based on your own car and might look up images of your previous jobs. Not what make of car you drive.

My 2c.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I agree with JC. Signage will be very important. Got to be noticed as you drive around. Good luck with the choice.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

you need something that you can display your work on. if your paint is up to scratch on the AU keep it.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #13
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Au xr8 ute.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fairly sure any make ute or wagon with the right graphics would be a head turner to most car minded people, which I assume is the market your looking at ..
Micks old ute was a killer

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Thankyou everybody for your opinions and suggestions.

I have decided to keep the AU for the time being, and fix it up a little more so it can be a little more 'unique'.

Upgrading down the track is definitely still on the cards, but after discussion with the chief financial officer (fiancee) , we're going to see where things are at business-wise after we get married in May and then re-assess. If it all goes to plan it should all be fine, so for the moment we'll get the AU sorted and then keep saving for whatever comes next!

Since this thread started, I've already got my hands on a 3.45 LSD diff, just gotta go pick it up...so hopefully over the next couple of months the AU will finally become what I wanted it to be (ie a little bit quicker )

Will also be looking at some vinyl decals for the AU, something like this would be cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
I almost picked up that red P250 that was on here a few months back with that intention but I had way too much other stuff going on and it never eventuated.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

As i mentioned in another thread I will let my ute go if someone offers me the right money for it, and its all pretty well done in terms of mods. It needs some attention on the paint side of things (previous owner was either blind or stupid - or both) but given your line of work I dont think that'd be an issue.

It has hardlid and is under 100,000kms - all yours for $15k and could probably do it cheaper if I dont have to re-register it in march.

I dont know about you but I couldnt bring myself to use a P250 as a work ute - as it is I have literally had about 3 things in the back of the XR8. Just dont want to scratch it!

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks good Dave93761, good luck with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Day-mow
rexnet

that looks sweeetttt.

as a detailer IMO you want something that looks a bit left field but very clean and nice. hope this turns out well for your business

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

I should clarify, that car above belongs to forum member 'BIGJB' over in NZ - he hasn't posted in a while, his build is on the last page of the list in the builds section.

But yes something like that I reckon would come up very nicely on my silver AU!

Austin, I may well be interested come mid to late 2012, we'll see where things head over the next few months...but for now, it's around $3K on the AU vs $15K+ for something else...

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 03-01-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Austin, I may well be interested come mid to late 2012, we'll see where things head over the next few months...but for now, it's around $3K on the AU vs $15K+ for something else...
I'm hoping to have it gone by then but good luck with what your plans are. It should work out well whichever way you choose.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Dave,

I hear where your at with making decisions. I too have been in throws, back and forth as to what I was going to do with my AU. At the end of the day I chose to keep it and make a few changes to bring back some enthusiasm for the car. I tend to get the 3 year itch with cars and want to sell in pursuit of another project. Some people it's less time than that. I had to dig deep and work out my priorities and ask myself 'why' I would want to sell when the AU has been so good to me these past few years. The mrs also put things into perspective for me too which is always a bonus to see as you can get blinded by your own 'wants' over what is actually necessary.

Everybody on here has different needs, wants and agendas to keep to. You need to work out what is best for you to suit you and your circumstances. Asking us will be like asking someone if you should adopt a child or not. It's a decision you need to make based on your circumstances and requirements. I hate to sound so diplomatic but it's the truth, and most of the opinions on this forum will point towards the 'faster the better' vote because most of us are all nuts for power.

That aside, I will give you my 2c worth.....

Being a business minded person who is currently running a company, I would make sure that what ever decision that gets made is made in the light of what is best for the business while still operating my every day to day life comfortably. This means finding something that works for you and your business and still is able to cater for other lifestyle choices and chores you do out of work hours. Does the AU still do this? or would an alternate vehicle be best?

Next, I would consider what effects my decision will make on my current finances. Business projections aside, you need to base it on what you earn NOW, not your projected income will be. Can I afford a loan? What would happen if I became incapacitated while servicing a loan? How much extra will I be paying over the life of the loan based on actual vehicle worth?.....a lot of questions you need to ask yourself.

Additional questions I would ask myself would be:
- Can I afford to have both cars and still maintain a quality of life I would be happy with?
- How will this decision effect my future with my fiancee/wife/kids etc?
- Will the car I use attract the right kind of business and future work?
- What sacrifices would I need to make if I went down path A or path B?

While this sounds like a lot of procrastinating, and a few people here may bag me on making a mountain out of a molehill, I honestly believe thoughts on how it will affect your day to day life, on going servicing of both vehicles and other aspects of how it reflects on your business should not be discounted due to your vehicular emotions or fetishes of what you want deep down.

All I am saying is think about it without the added emotion and excitement of getting a faster/newer/better car. Sometimes those emotions can make us make rash decisions.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quality post Shav.

The mrs and I had a good discussion about it, where all the options were put out there and broken down and analysed. As you have mentioned, she provided some insight which reinforced what I was thinking deep down (that for the immediate future, it's wisest to keep the AU).

It's absolutely a must to look at these things objectively and without emotion, otherwise your judgement and subsequent decision-making process can be clouded.

The reason for me putting this out on the forum, is that I was after a variety of opinions and suggestions from others, some of which I may have not considered in the context which they are/were provided. I value the advice and suggestions offered to me, and I'm confident that going forward this will prove to be a smart decision.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

You're not an idiot mate, I reckon you're pretty smart about stuff like this. Personally speaking, I think you are better off with keeping your AU and making gradual improvements over time as you have already suggested. When the business takes off, and you start raking in more dough, then reassess the options and see where it leads you from there. Just a quick one too mate, personal loans for cars are in my opinion only, a waste of money.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #24
TUF-640

i'd say keep the AU, in the long run it will save you some money. mine cost me a good 4k in repairs in the last 6 months and looking back now i should have taken my 3k offer on trade in before i went through with the various repairs. i assumed to save myself the heartbreak of constant repairs i'd buy a BA/BF. ended up getting an 03 BA ghia but its got its bad points and ive already spent a good 1k on it...its due for another 1k in replacement suspension components (use to tow a rather large boat) so its showing some signs of age. At this rate i could end up going down the same path as i did with my AU but i guess only time will tell...ill just sell up again and this time buy something alot newer rather than only going up by 2 years. My AU is a one owner car from my folks so i know everything about it where as this car, i know nothing about, rushed into it a little just because its a nice model of car and for the money BF xt/futuras at the same price didnt have side air bags and reverse sensors (and it had a sunroof - which at the time was hard to come by) looking back on it i should have not bought it and kept repairing the AU if it needed it but the suspension was too stiff and giving me back pains so i needed something that was 10 times more comfortable

long story short, if its not going to cost more than 2k to fix all of what you want/need done to it i'd just repair it - in terms of depreciation a newer car, generally speaking it will be worth half of what you paid for it in 12-24 months time

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
TUF-640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #25
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Can you put up with using a sedan for work day in day out. If so fix up her niggles and whack some signage on her. It shows the quality of your work. So your half way there already...

I've already decided to take the ute path myself in the next 12 months or so, now that I'm doing more and more cars. Using a sedan is driving me mad, vaccumm and karcher on the back seat doesn't work for me.

Another note I personally think that a tidy later model (thinking BA/BF budget here) would be good for buisness signage as opposed to a 11yo AU sedan. Just my personal thoughts.

My plan is BA2 or BF XR6 ute in white with a hard lid and an auto. So I can still use it all week working and still be able to take it on car club runs/shows. Maybe good for buisness who knows? But it has been the plan to own a ute anyway as my kids never ride in my car, always the wifes.

Again this is just my thoughts and by all means not solid plans as yet. Good luck with your desicion anyway.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post