Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
rxj

Angry Recommended place to get a windscreen replaced - Melbourne

I was driving home tonight on a main road where a guy was using a whipper-snipper in his front yard. Unfortunately a rock flew up as I drove past and chipped the bonnet and damaged the windscreen.

Can someone recommend a good place to get a windscreen replaced in the Western suburbs of Melbourne?

Cheers,

rxj.

rxj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Haven't had one in a BA yet but cheapest in my old AU was just good old Windscreens O'Brien in Geelong Rd Brooklyn
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

all the places do about 100 for an AU replacement. Shouldnt be too differnt from a BA
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Windscreens Obrian charge more 50 - 100 % than most other windscreens companies. I found this out by shopping around. I suggest you do the same. The best deal I got was from a mob in Tullamarine/Airport West area, national windscreens or something.
Old 21-02-2006, 01:24 AM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Do you have insurance? Normally comprehensive insurance has a free windscreen replacement every year. Just ring your insurance company and see if they have a preffered fitter.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
red_hotxr6
Banned

Wink

I am with suncorp and comprehensively insured, guess what, windscreen or any other glass not covered and no drive car if the car is in the panel shop. So now that i am on my 2nd xr6 i have now paid the extra $27.00 to be comprehensively, comprehensively insured. So i am paying $927.00 a year for that and hubby is paying $550.00, 1 payment at shannons and it covers everything.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
al9
Banned

as someone said national screens
al9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
fordy-two
Starter Motor

Last car I bought had stone chips, a deep full length windscreen wiper scratch(I'm talkin' deep !) and sandblasting. A place in Airport West (don't remember the name) scraped/polished/whatever-they-do all the damage off it and it was like new. From memory it was about $80, about 3 years ago. If you do get it replaced, make sure they put something (primer ?) along the metal inside edges if they damage the paint. If they stiil attach windscreens to modern cars like they did in the old days and they don't do this, you will eventually get rust holes in the roof.
fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
Group C

I was a windscreen fitter for approx. 8 years before I started in my current job.
I have seen some beautiful work in my time, and I seen some absolute nightmare's too.
The 'screen industry is a classic example of "you get what you pay for", because so many little one-man-band type mobs are undercutting the prices of the big companies just to get the work. This then forces the big ones to lower their prices as well, but then a day's work becomes a "quanity over quality" exercise. The company mentioned earlier in this thread earlier with a name starting with 'N' is a great example of this, in my experience.

I would recommend NOVUS WINDSCREENS in Mitcham. Ph. 98733088.
The guys there are brilliant. They provide an on site service at no extra cost. Melbourne's west is covered by them. Their prices are middle of the road, but their work is fantastic. Shannons Insurance must agree, as NOVUS are their windscreen supplier. Their work comes with a lifetime warranty too.
And yes, this is where I used to work, but I don't have any aligence to them. Just telling you what I've seen.

*edit* Sorry, should have mentioned that NOVUS were the original windscreen repair company in the world, and the above post sounds like them.
Get them to have a look at the damage first, as they might be able to fix it, saving $$$ and the need & hassles of getting a new one.
Their repairs and technology on windscreen repairs are second to none.
I've seen their repair guys do some amazing stuff. Things like a 12" long crack with a 20c piece-sized round break that have virtually disappeared, for a fraction of the replacement cost...

Last edited by Group C; 21-02-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Group C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
rxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Do you have insurance? Normally comprehensive insurance has a free windscreen replacement every year. Just ring your insurance company and see if they have a preffered fitter.

I will have to check my policy... Cheers rxj.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
rxj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group C
I was a windscreen fitter for approx. 8 years before I started in my current job.
I have seen some beautiful work in my time, and I seen some absolute nightmare's too.
The 'screen industry is a classic example of "you get what you pay for", because so many little one-man-band type mobs are undercutting the prices of the big companies just to get the work. This then forces the big ones to lower their prices as well, but then a day's work becomes a "quanity over quality" exercise. The company mentioned earlier in this thread earlier with a name starting with 'N' is a great example of this, in my experience.

I would recommend NOVUS WINDSCREENS in Mitcham. Ph. 98733088.
The guys there are brilliant. They provide an on site service at no extra cost. Melbourne's west is covered by them. Their prices are middle of the road, but their work is fantastic. Shannons Insurance must agree, as NOVUS are their windscreen supplier. Their work comes with a lifetime warranty too.
And yes, this is where I used to work, but I don't have any aligence to them. Just telling you what I've seen.

*edit* Sorry, should have mentioned that NOVUS were the original windscreen repair company in the world, and the above post sounds like them.
Get them to have a look at the damage first, as they might be able to fix it, saving $$$ and the need & hassles of getting a new one.
Their repairs and technology on windscreen repairs are second to none.
I've seen their repair guys do some amazing stuff. Things like a 12" long crack with a 20c piece-sized round break that have virtually disappeared, for a fraction of the replacement cost...
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I'm extremely picking about my car and expect the job to done properly the first time. My windscreen is not too badly damaged just a small chip but it stands out like dog b**ls. I'm wondering whether they will be able to polish out all the other small chips without distorting the window. I will give them a call.

Cheers,

rxj.
Old 21-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #12
Hitman
Way over here

Actually, you shouldn't need to worry about it, the fella using the whipper snipper is responsible for the damage, proving he did it may be another issue though.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #13
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Actually, you shouldn't need to worry about it, the fella using the whipper snipper is responsible for the damage, proving he did it may be another issue though.
As if, you would have buckleys!