Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
TazzieTim

Default Plans for Basic Cost Effective Mods???

I Just bought an AU2 Wagon last week after trading in my old 3.5 litre Magna Wagon. I intend to do a few cost effective mods to attemt to increase both power and economy. For me this involves a few mods to intake of air and exhaust.
On my last vehicle I achieved at least a second off times just with just a few minor changes to the Magna. I used and ITG foam air filter (which according to a dynoe test compair I saw flow better than a K&N for another $10 $20 dollars).
I then heard that they had a very restrictive rear muffler so I changed it for a large redback straight through muffler and immediately after fitment my economy increased from a close consistant 470 km a tank to a close consistant 550km to and from work. I was very pleased with the minimal outlay involved. The Magna was still quiet at cruise. Also got a very noticable increase in power as well..
I put this to test before I traded it it. I did 5 runs from 0 to 100 kph and got readings between 8.5 and 9.0. more were 8.5 than 9s. Stock standard the Magna Wagon is said to do almost identical times to the AU2 Falcon Wagon at around 9.7 0-100 kph as it is almost identical weight AU11 W 1585kg Magna W 99 3.5 1560kg?
Nice to be on the Forum, cheers.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Welcome to the forums.

I have already changed by snorkel to Tickford version (off the 220kw 5.0L V8 engine ... XR8 S2 or 3 ... I think). Bought that straight from Ford for like $30 ... and put and Redline panel filter in the air box ... als changed my spark plugs for NGK Iridiums .... just doing this has made a noticeable difference (especially on the sluggish EGAS engine).

Next I will be doing a full 2.5" exhaust system (pacemaker headers ... using factory cat) ... and also will be changing the intake pipe between the airbox and throttle body with mandrel bend piping (Joe at Crescent Motorsport will be getting some made up).

Later on a cam change will be on the cards.

I just want better response and torque for courier work in the ute ... and also a bit more punch ... as running on LPG is a little lacking compared to petrol (but OH so much cheaper when doing high km's).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
TazzieTim

Hi Mechan1K
Nice to hear from someone. Its good to get the most of both worlds if possible with power and economy XR 8 on gas sounds good to me.
Im going on a 700 to 900 km round trip tommorow so Im hoping to see how the wagon will do on open road. Im going to cut a little peice out of the top of my grill as there doesnt seem to be much airflow to the snorkel with the grill in the way at the moment. It will be under the bonnet anyway so no one will notice. If I have to Ill strengthen it up later.

Regards Tim
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzieTim
I Just bought an AU2 Wagon last week after trading in my old 3.5 litre Magna Wagon. I intend to do a few cost effective mods to attemt to increase both power and economy. For me this involves a few mods to intake of air and exhaust.
On my last vehicle I achieved at least a second off times just with just a few minor changes to the Magna. I used and ITG foam air filter (which according to a dynoe test compair I saw flow better than a K&N for another $10 $20 dollars).
I then heard that they had a very restrictive rear muffler so I changed it for a large redback straight through muffler and immediately after fitment my economy increased from a close consistant 470 km a tank to a close consistant 550km to and from work. I was very pleased with the minimal outlay involved. The Magna was still quiet at cruise. Also got a very noticable increase in power as well..
I put this to test before I traded it it. I did 5 runs from 0 to 100 kph and got readings between 8.5 and 9.0. more were 8.5 than 9s. Stock standard the Magna Wagon is said to do almost identical times to the AU2 Falcon Wagon at around 9.7 0-100 kph as it is almost identical weight AU11 W 1585kg Magna W 99 3.5 1560kg?
Nice to be on the Forum, cheers.
Welcome to the forum TazzieTim,

Keep me posted with how you are going with the new mods. I would be greatly interested to see how you go with a new freer flowing air filter and rear muffler. I just changed my system but went for stock. I am very interested to see how you go though, as you appear to take care to measure the results! Good job!

By the way, what did the muffler and air cleaner cost?

Cheers,
George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

technically a turbo engine driven lightly should retrun better fuel economy than an NA engine. So go the turbo for power and economy!
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
technically a turbo engine driven lightly should retrun better fuel economy than an NA engine. So go the turbo for power and economy!
But in real everyday driving you are going to use the power more so the ecomony suffers.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
Chris
AFF.com.au

PM casper, he'll steer you on the right track for the bolt ons, for a tune or camshaft, PM XRFPV8, he has the good oil on AU mods through G and D.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
Syk0AU1

jim mock's dev1 kit and upwards uncludes dev performance spark plugs, how are these compared to the Iridiums?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I'll use any excuse to justify boost. I realise people dont fit a turbo for improved economy - but I needed every argument I could muster.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post