Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
palms88
Starter Motor

Default Victorian roads

Anyone else hating driving around?? just recently got my new car which is pretty low and now driving around i am continually cringing in-case a surprise pothole pops up from over a crest can get me quite angry especially if i accidentally hit one of them.

anyone else got same issues with the roads??

palms88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Victorian roads

If you think Victorian roads are bad, you don't get out much.... Cross the border into NSW and see how you fare.....
3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are that worried about the road conditions. Park your car and never drive it.

Better things to worry about in life than a pot hole or 3.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
palms88
Starter Motor

hmm only worried that they will destroy my car might have to stick to highways then
palms88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
t_holt69

some roads are better than others, but there are alot of roads in Vic, not all are crash hot. Ever driven interstate? pot holes are easy, those speed humps made for busses and not cars on the other hand...
Old 28-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
malazn mafia
Boss 335

I miss Victorian roads. Sydney roads are atrocious going through suburbs, nearly as bad as driving on the moon's surface in some places. Thinking of downgrading to steel 16 inch wheels and raising suspension to better navigate over speed humps, potholes and staircase-like road undulations.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some roads make me feel like that, a couple of weeks ago I went to see a mate that lives in lancefield, via lancefield rd, , good grief what a goat track.
The road surface is obviously about as thick as a pizza, hit a pothole bang, I'm thinking time for another alignment,.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Hmm do you think that is why SUV sales are on the way up? I will go one better, in SA you also get free gravel and debris thrown in.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, would'nt surprise me.
Old 28-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yep, you need to keep your eyes on the road every second on lookout for them. No relaxation assuming the road ahead is all smooth sailing. Either potholes or dead (and live) kangaroos.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fortunately QLD roads are perfect, just like everyting else in QLD. In fact some of our roads are so perfectly flat and smooth they look like surface of a lake.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
If you think Victorian roads are bad, you don't get out much.... Cross the border into NSW and see how you fare.....
... and take it one step further to the north and you get wagon tracks!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
t_holt69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Yep, you need to keep your eyes on the road every second on lookout for them.
maybe thats the plan... keep people looking at the road, not the speed camera in the bush... ever noticed the worse the road more cameras are on it
Old 28-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the roads here in Mildura are bad too. Some of the roads have pot holes and loose gravel on the shoulder of the road and the right thing to do is move over to the shoulder of the road when another vehicle is approaching yet time and time again I see idiots staying pretty much in the centre of the road. It's happened to me quite alot and it won't be long until I have to replace the ball joints on the left side of my AU ute thanks to inconsiderate drivers and pot holes. My ute is raised at the rear for towing and the front doesn't really sit low either so I can only imagine the trauma people must face when they have lowered cars with body kits and 20" wheels.
Old 28-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
I miss Victorian roads. Sydney roads are atrocious going through suburbs, nearly as bad as driving on the moon's surface in some places. Thinking of downgrading to steel 16 inch wheels and raising suspension to better navigate over speed humps, potholes and staircase-like road undulations.
Ha! You southern state guys have no idea. For the record I grew up and learned to drive in Vic and have also lived in Sydney and country NSW.

I wish I had roads like yours up here. I couldn't work out why so many people owned 4wds up here, then I saw what the roads turned into every year after our wet season struck. Holy *****! After good rain, I have a game I play to keep me awake for the 150klm trip to work in a Toyota hilux. I count the cars that are pulled up on the side of the road with buckled and missing wheels from hitting the potholes. I kid you not. It is literally carnage here when the potholes appear. These things are so deep and I have seen them the whole width of the lane And as long as a standard car. The have the potential to rip your whole front end off.

You need to own a 4wd here, the roads are really that bad. So much worse than anything I have experienced in Vic or NSW. And that is just the highways.
Don't start me on backroads. That's how poor the road network is outside of Brisbane and the great south east which is on par with Sydney.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Central and mid north NSW is the worst I have experienced.
Old 28-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven on most of the roads in Australia and south western Victoria has the worst roads and easily. The good news is in the last couple of months there has been some limited decent repair work being done. They aren't spending much but they are spending something. Its the first time there's been anything more than a bucket of gravel thrown in the holes in the last 5 years.

Its good to see even if its a limited fix up. We all regularly bend wheels around here but the time between bent wheels is getting less.

Most of the roads east of Geelong are near perfect in comparison and just as "good" as country NSW. Although that may not be good if you are used to inner city roads.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Some roads make me feel like that, a couple of weeks ago I went to see a mate that lives in lancefield, via lancefield rd, , good grief what a goat track.
The road surface is obviously about as thick as a pizza, hit a pothole bang, I'm thinking time for another alignment,.
I drive up and down that road every day to go to work and back.

Its much nicer in my Fairmont than my lowered Focus with stiffer springs
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez palms88 you need to do some travelling and see the rest of our nation. Central QLD has the worst roads I've ever driven on, driving from Bundaberg to Rockhampton was certainly an eye opener, flood damage on roads that were probably not that great to begin with. Victoria's roads are like marble floors in comparison.
Old 28-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I drive up and down that road every day to go to work and back.

Its much nicer in my Fairmont than my lowered Focus with stiffer springs
yeah for a well travelled bit of 100 kph road it`s in a poor state, i wonder who maintains that( allegedly ) shire of hume??? i cracked a funny .

actually being an oldish fart i can remember when the road workers periodically did refurbishment of the local roads even when they where not to bad, and you would see them all over the bloody place, these days they send a 4wd with road scanning camera`s to check an area and pick the one`s they want to do......... eventually, other than the major road projects,
road workers are almost invisible on our local roads.
Old 28-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #21
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I knew NSW roads were horrible, but never realized how bad until I moved to SA. So much better down here than NSW will ever have

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
peteypete
Sunny side up

Come and drive in gippsland and see what a bad road is. I live in kooweerup, which used to be swamp land. The ground moves so much it puts very deep dips in the road. My BF XR6 which is stock height can bottom out while doing 100k's because of these dips.
My old car which was lowered, I had to get the exhaust system raised because the roads scraped it so much that the muffler actually tore open and a resonator cracked.
A lot of car accidents happen here too, I've personally witnessed someone veer off the road into a pole about a year ago because of a 'massive rock' on the road.
He was so lucky to have lived.

Long story short, some roads are better than others. Try driving on the peninsula link. It's almost like riding in an aeroplane :-)
Genies>hi-flow cat>X-Force 2.5" Catback. Stage 2 crow cams. Powerbond 20% Underdrives. Bent tab. BC racing Coilovers. Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars. SS Inductions Growler + XR8 snorkel + Territory intake pipe. More to come. Thread coming soon.

[P]Plater

Past rides:

1998 NL Ghia Concorde (Now Dads car)

1954 Austin A40
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I've lost 2 tyres and at least 1 rim to potholes in the past 7 days. Not that far from my house on Brissi northside both times.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some area`s seem to be worse than others, i guess a lot of it depends on the wealth of the shire.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They used to say that the ACT had the best roads but I left there in 1993 and haven't been back since - spent the next 7 years in Perth and I don't remember any real bad roads there (but I'm sure there would have been some) I've been back in Adelaide since 2000 and I've noticed that even though where ever you look there's roadworks, they just don't seem to be improving.

But we do now have a section of raised roadway (ooooh goes the rest of Australia) it's not finished yet but when it is; look out!! there'll be no stopping us

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #26
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
some area`s seem to be worse than others, i guess a lot of it depends on the wealth of the shire.
And it also depends if a local council member lives in the area because you can be pretty certain that any road/street where a council member lives along it will be maintained to a fairly high standard.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Hmm do you think that is why SUV sales are on the way up? I will go one better, in SA you also get free gravel and debris thrown in.
To think that it wasnt that long ago where most Aussie roads wernt paved and people mostly drove Falcons and Holdens.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #28
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
To think that it wasnt that long ago where most Aussie roads wernt paved and people mostly drove Falcons and Holdens.
I agree, that's why they had so much body roll, with 14' rims and 70 series tyres. (and the rims were steel too........ :P)

The suspension articulation on my standard height XF wagon, is massive.
I did so much goat track, and dirt road driving in it a few yrs ago.

Still has the original lower ball joints and tierod ends too.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Sounds like not much maintenance is done on our roads across the board.

Last September our car club had a road trip to Maldon. I couldn't believe how bad the Calder Freeway is outbound when you get past Calder Raceway towards Gisborne and Macedon. Potholes everywhere and broken up tarmac made for an unpleasant drive in the coupe!!

For a major highway/freeway which carries a lot of traffic it's appaling.

Seems to be the case right across the country.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How low is your car if you are worried about pot holes? My main worry with them is cracking a rim.

Although my car struggles to get into my own driveway without scraping. The weekly shopping will cause me to scrape unless I come in on a perfect angle.

2 mates in the back and I have to tell them to get out before I even turn into the driveway.
My next vehicle will e a 4x4 with nice chunky tyres.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post