Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Sweatbox
Starter Motor

Default Air cond probs in new Fiesta

Got new LX Fiesta on the last day of ’09. On 7 Jan the air con stopped working. Took it to dealer on 13 Jan. When I collected it they said it “seemed a bit low on gas”. A/c worked again (still not very cool tho) until the following Thursday when the a/c stopped a second time. Great thing to happen in 38-degree weather. Booked it in for the following Wednesday and also for its 3000k service. Needed new thermo fan, they said. Last Wednesday one was put in. A/c worked again. Drove 300ks to Sydney yesterday, no probs. Started to drive home, drove about ten 10ks and, you guessed it, no air. Anyone else encountered a similar problem. This is the 5th car I’ve owned and I’ve never had a problem with the a/c in any previous vehicle. Each time the a/c konks out after being "fixed" the outside temp is always about 34 degrees, and always after starting the car and resuming a trip after the a/c has been running ok previously. How many times do I have to take the car back to Ford before I need to escalate this, and to whom? I am getting mightily frustrated.
Thanks. (Sorry if this is a bit long and whingey for a 1st post.)

Sweatbox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Unlucky, although the aircon is regarded as "crap" by most owners yours seems to have regular epic fails often. If I were you i would get under the car and look for green aircon gas. If there is a gas leak then they are simply not doing enough to find the leak and repairing it.

Which dealership are you using?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Sweatbox
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
Unlucky, although the aircon is regarded as "crap" by most owners yours seems to have regular epic fails often. If I were you i would get under the car and look for green aircon gas. If there is a gas leak then they are simply not doing enough to find the leak and repairing it.

Which dealership are you using?
The a/c was never that much of a chiller, I agree - but, let me tell you, when you don't have any, some is better than none!

I don't wish to disparage the dealership (probably the same one you've been to _2: ) but I specifically asked them if there was a leak and they said no. I got my knees dirty this morning but couldn't see any air cond gas. Will give them one more chance.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
GK351

My wife's 07 diesel golf had a similar problem, on a cold day it worked fine, but anything over 30c it just wouldnt work.

Took it back and they told me it had too much gas in the system, which will work on a cold day but when it gets too hot the gas expands and shuts of the air cond.

They put the correct amount of gas and has been fine ever since.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK351
Took it back and they told me it had too much gas in the system, which will work on a cold day but when it gets too hot the gas expands and shuts of the air cond.
That must be what is wrong with mine. On cold days the air-con feel like Antarctica, but warm to hot days it just doesn't seem to want to work, parking under the sun or in an undercover area does make a difference, as the parts get hot when under the sun, but even then not a whole lot. Will ask my dealer when I'm there next. Keep putting these things off.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
jarradgoodwin91

hey all,
i drive a 06 focus, just thought i'd tell about my air con problem i had the other week

after travelling up to the central coast from sydney with air con running perfect, i got in the car and found that it wasnt sending through cold air at all.but the fan was still running.
which was a real bastard coz it was a 40 degree day that i was coming back home.

anyway
put it in for a service, and asked them to check it out.
turns out my air con compressor clutch shat itself.
luckily it was covered under my 3 year dealership warranty.

saved me a few hundred bucks.

after a bit of research on the net, turns out the compressor clutch shitting itself is quite a common problem on the focus.
maybe this stretches across to the fiesta.
not saying it is the compressor clutch that is gone in ur car, but it seems that the air con in these small cars cause nothing but problems!

something ford should look at fixing perhaps?
jarradgoodwin91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Sweatbox
Starter Motor

An update: I booked my car in on 9 Feb with John McGrath Ford in Woden. The problem is that the computer that controls the a/c thinks that the engine is fitted with two thermo fans, when it only has one. So when the computer goes to switch on fan #2 there is no voltage, it logs an error, and shuts the whole a/c down. Apparently this problem only affects Fiestas built in Oct 09. My car has been in their garage since 9 Feb and since then I have been driving one of their loan vehicles. They have now given me a hire car until the end of next week. To fix the problem, software from Europe has to be downloaded to reprogram the car's PCM, but the PCM is not accepting the software script. I was told that I could be without my car - which I only bought at the end of Dec 09 - for another month. JMCG Ford have been very good; one of their service staff actually suggested I ring Ford customer relations - which I will, next week.
Old 21-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
shroomies49

Thats 2 Fez owners in Hire cars coz their cars are outta commission!!

Lol...

Least ur A/C Belt didnt snap in peakhour traffic.... ><
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Cyborg1978

Wow I put my fez in for a service on Friday. I reported crap A/C, and I wanted to check for PCM updates. Bayford got back to me regassed A/C but the PMC won't communicate no download of faults, and they can't update softwear. Waiting on a new PMC, hope this fixes my A/c as well. Side note my fez was delivered in early december as well.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatbox
To fix the problem, software from Europe has to be downloaded to reprogram the car's PCM, but the PCM is not accepting the software script. I was told that I could be without my car - which I only bought at the end of Dec 09 - for another month. JMCG Ford have been very good; one of their service staff actually suggested I ring Ford customer relations - which I will, next week.
What a joke. It takes a month to fix that? Its almost like they dont know how to fix it.

Seriously they dont have any spares to fix the problem? Please........

Ring Ford.. Thats not good enough..
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I can say that if your dealing with woden, then (if he is still there) there is one of the best diagnositc mechanic I have ever dealt with. I havent spoken to him for a while but I know other dealerships send him cars that they cant fix and he returns back fixed. It will be interesting to hear the outcome.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Sweatbox
Starter Motor

Well, my Fez was returned to me yesterday afternoon. I am assured everything is OK now. So far so good (touch wood). I told them I don't want to see them again until my car needs its 15K service. If I have to bring it in for stuffed a/c again, they can keep it.

I did end up ringing Ford customer relations, but I couldn't get through, so I left a message. Never heard back. Thankfully I could talk to the dealership, who were tops.