Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #361
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
HAHAHAHAHA LOL . but you still read all of my posts . hahahaha. :
Yes , I also read the comics on the back page of the newspaper....
Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #362
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes , I also read the comics on the back page of the newspaper....
NO PROBLEM FLAPPIST . your the 1st member on here . that i will put on my ignore list , as of now . kindly do the same to me , and we wont have to read each others posts . time for you to get over ridiculing members here . .
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #363
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Lets get back on topic hey.

I am lovin the little smileys. It certainly is working in my opinion. I can now see who is definitely contributing and who isn't. Those who have posted great advice in the past also appear to be rewarded as people are getting the hang of the system.

Great addition to the forums IMO. Well done Admin
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #364
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have a question. When you award someone a rep point and you try to award them another for a different thread but you receive a pop up saying you have to award more rep points before you can award this member one.. (Or something like that), how long before you can award them again?? Is it a set number of posts or rep points you have to give before awarding them again??
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #365
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I have a question. When you award someone a rep point and you try to award them another for a different thread but you receive a pop up saying you have to award more rep points before you can award this member one.. (Or something like that), how long before you can award them again?? Is it a set number of posts or rep points you have to give before awarding them again??
Wow Col! Look at you go! a green smile now too!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #366
Geez Louise
Awesome

I am the quiet achiever :P
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #367
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I am the quiet achiever :P
you devil!!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #368
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

You have to award 30 other people before you can award the same person again.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #369
Geez Louise
Awesome

Thanks Russellw.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #370
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the Rep points are for reputation.

So what does the smileys mean, niceness? (brownie points )

Im just trying to get my head arround this, So rep is substance and Smilies is personality?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #371
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
So the Rep points are for reputation.

So what does the smileys mean, niceness? (brownie points )

Im just trying to get my head arround this, So rep is substance and Smilies is personality?
The rep points are how many points you give to other people should you approve of a post. They are not your reputation.

The smilies are a graphical representation of how much reputation has been given to you by others.
A yellow is 100 and green is 200 so if you add them together you get the approximate reputation value of you.
The description that hovers over the smilies when you mouseover them is just another indicator of reputation.

The smilie score does not make you better or worse, smarter or dumber, more or less popular, it just shows that some people have agreed with some thing or things that you have said.

russellw has given a more detailed explanation on page 2 of this thread.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #372
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries.

Just saw it the other day for the first time and was a bit intrigued.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #373
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im gonna have to up my payments to forum directors :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #374
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow after reading all of this i went in and out of understanding to not understanding but now i understand again Ive got some work to do to get off my Ls
Old 10-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #375
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: goodbye grandma I'm off my Ls I'm going cruising :
Old 19-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #376
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a question, ive noticed that you can give (and receive) feedback without credit points, i.e by un clicking the "i approve" button and just leaving feedback? so no credit ponts are given? The smile on your CP is clear (not yellow), is this an approved way of giving neutral or negative feedback??

Old 19-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #377
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Just a question, ive noticed that you can give (and receive) feedback without credit points, i.e by un clicking the "i approve" button and just leaving feedback? so no credit ponts are given? The smile on your CP is clear (not yellow), is this an approved way of giving neutral or negative feedback??
If they have no rep points (have a look at the user giving you a rep) then you will receive this. That's why there was a concern that users without rep points will be ignored.
Old 19-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #378
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If they have no rep points (have a look at the user giving you a rep) then you will receive this. That's why there was a concern that users without rep points will be ignored.
Ok, thanks for that, so unclicking the "i approve" button has no impact?

Old 20-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #379
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Im confused about the whole thing.

I joined the forum 3 and a half years ago and find it strange that its important now to have smileys, rep points, green boxes or what ever you call it to be considered a valued member.

Half the information I have asked for have been from members with no rep points or smileys.

So what is the purpose?

Why cant we all be equal and kick back, relax and talk about what we all love - Fords. IMO anyway.
Old 20-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #380
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ok, thanks for that, so unclicking the "i approve" button has no impact?
Ok now you got me, I've never had this option. I've had a rep from someone with no points but no i approve option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV

I joined the forum 3 and a half years ago and find it strange that its important now to have smileys, rep points, green boxes or what ever you call it to be considered a valued member.

Half the information I have asked for have been from members with no rep points or smileys.

So what is the purpose?

Why cant we all be equal and kick back, relax and talk about what we all love - Fords. IMO anyway.
In all seriousness it doesn't really matter. If your here long enough and have your own mind and judgement a whole heap of rep points shouldn't influence your opinion.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #381
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:

So what is the purpose?

there are plenty of people on here with far more smileys than me, and i'm a mod. so in all seriousness it doesn't really matter, it just acts as an indication of how much input people have, well, put in!
Old 20-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #382
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

But the best bit is that I've never had 'P' plates.

Now I have :
Old 25-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #383
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

So what is the purpose?

Its not a contest, but it is good to give a pat on the back to those who provide info to the forum. Some people just read, thats fine. But there are 3 or 4 members on here that have provided info openly on the forum that has saved me thousands in heading up the wrong track with my mods. I have given them rep value in appreciation.

So as in real life, all are unfortunately not equal in what they provide to the forum. If you are saying some with no rep value have provided you with info - they will grow in rep value when someone shows their appreciation.

I too though am a bit confused by the starting points (thought you started with 40 for over a year),but i haven't read every page though, i'm going to read it backwards now!

Old 25-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #384
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

382 posts on the green boxes?

I came from the LS1 world after migrating there in 02 and back in 04 (ah 4 yr leases) and the only trouble this caused there was the provision of a 'i dont approve' button. THAT was misused something chronic.....

In all why worry about this stuff? Have fun, enjoy the read, and be moved to click that little scale when you read something valuable or just enjoy a post or poster...i think its great being able to give a little feedback to the more balanced people here that they're appreciated without spammy 'nice post' messages

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 25-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #385
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
So as in real life, all are unfortunately not equal in what they provide to the forum. If you are saying some with no rep value have provided you with info - they will grow in rep value when someone shows their appreciation.
Although, someone with high rep power (say, 50) can give someone +50, where a newb can only give +1. It really should be equal, that way you can honestly tell who is really helpful out there. How is the typical member on here able to tell the difference between someone who's been awesome & helped out 50 newbs who have all given them +1 (totalling 50), compared to someone else who's helped one person with a rep power of 50 (also totalling 50)?
Old 25-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #386
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Although, someone with high rep power (say, 50) can give someone +50, where a newb can only give +1. It really should be equal, that way you can honestly tell who is really helpful out there. How is the typical member on here able to tell the difference between someone who's been awesome & helped out 50 newbs who have all given them +1 (totalling 50), compared to someone else who's helped one person with a rep power of 50 (also totalling 50)?

True - didn't know someone could award more.

Old 25-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #387
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I was reading an article about the "Trophy Generation" a couple of weeks ago.
It's interesting the pathways of this thread - proves the theory really.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 25-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #388
gtfpv
GT

i've seen some people on here with 1000's of posts and one smiley .
if you read this thread at the beginning , you would assume that they arent giving helpfull advice or knowledge to people . i simply refuse to believe that 1000's of posts all have no valueble input to the forum . whilst it would be nice to have heaps of smileys , i think it doesnt rate how valuable or knowledgable that person is .
it's kind 've a who knows who popularity contest . whilst i 'm not against them , its wrong to look at a profile with smileys everywhere , and then think the lesser smileys, arent giving any valuable input here .
anyhow horses for courses .
incedently i have received smileys for taking a stand at getting threads closed. not for valuable input . which makes my point . i have been rediculed for some posts, and then asked to look at why i have a bad reputation . other times i have tried to help out with advice and or experience . but havent had the same people who give negative feedback . give any positive .
i do question the validity of smileys .

Last edited by gtfpv; 25-06-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 25-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #389
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
i've seen some people on here with 1000's of posts and one smiley . if you read this thread at the beginning , you would assume that they arent giving helpfull advice or knowledge to people . i simply refuse to believe that 1000's of posts all have no valueble input to the forum .

I could name several users on this forum whom fit into that category but refuse to waste my time.

Having 1000 posts means nothing if all you do is post uncontrollably in any thread and dont offer any input into helping people out.

Quote:
incedently i have received smileys for taking a stand at getting threads closed. not for valuable input . which makes my point . i have been rediculed for some posts, and then asked to look at why i have a bad reputation . other times i have tried to help out with advice and or experience . but havent had the same people who give negative feedback . give any positive .
i do question the validity of smileys .
I beg to differ, you have had more points removed because of some of your rants than you have had points awarded, in fact those that have award you points are those that lead the charge to being banned from this site, so that being so I have now removed their point gain to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I always research a users post history before making a call, its becomes very obvious who are trolls and those that are willing to help, I would say at least 90% of user reputations are accurate as it stands, and as above, I will alter reputation levels if I feel the system is being abused.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #390
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Sorry, I didn't mean it from a system-abuse point of view purely from a "this post actually helped me" point of view.

I'll take a different angle: I don't think I should have a "rep power" of 68. If somebody posts a helpful post, I don't want to give them +68, I want to give them +1 or +average. If my nephew joined up today & wanted to give the same helpful poster rep points, it'd be +0 or +1 or whatever minimal points a new member has to give.
Closed Thread