Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Improving VCT consumption?

I have a very low km 2001 Fairlane Sportsman VCT,great car but around town driving it uses as much as 19L/100 about the same as my 351c XC and nearly double that my FG uses.
Steady cruise on freeway using cruise gets low to mid 10's at best
Is there much that can be done with these engines to improve fuel economy or are they just crappy engines
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
T MAN

Default Re: Improving VCT consumption?

yes, replace the 350kpa vct fuel reg wth either a 300kpa hp xr6 or a std 275kpa reg from a std au...
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so the VCT runs higher pressure for some reason
does it create any other issues bu lowering the fuel pressure
Old 11-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That does seem a high even for a fairlane that without being rude .....would be ......a bit more on the pudgey side with the extra kit imo, unless you are a bit of a lead foot ,

these are getting a bit long in the tooth and probably with all original fuel system,
i dont know for sure , just a theory on my part, but i suspect 14 or 15 year old injectors may not meter as well as they once did , i would be interested to know if anyone has done a new injector replacement and noticed better fuel consumption ?

that being said my vct xr6 still does reasonable economy when i drive it gently,

around my neck of the woods (melbourne north) , im still get around 13 litres per 100 around the burbs with two fatty`s in the car air con running with big heavy wheels and with 235xxx k`s (unopened)on the clock most weeks driving it easy.

19 litres per hundred would have to be pretty terrible traffic or lead footing it ,
by the same token in melbourne it wouldnt surprise me to be in stuck in car parks all week on the freeway and get terrible economy like that in any car.

i haven't done a highway run for a while, but im confident it would do considerably better than what your getting on the highway, if your not sitting in traffic all week or lead footing it, id say something needs attention..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Oxygen sensor?
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 2002 xr6 uses the same and thats not stuck at traffic lights or in traffic and im not a lead foot driver i need answers too. my old hj 308 statesman had better consumption. how can you tell if its the oxygen sensor.mine is regularly serviced 17000 kms.i dont want to throw away money with no results
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi 4vxc, when was your vct serviced last? I've just fixed this issue in my vct xr6, i replaced o2sensor, fuel pump, plugs, inlet manifold gasket, cleaned the throttle body & iac valve, Techron 5000 fuel treatment, three bond engine conditioner (upper cylinder cleaner).

After all that i reset the ecu & took my xr out on the hwy for a 900km jaunt to reestablish its hwy fuel economy. Today I get mid to low 12's city & mid 7's hwy on 95 vortex.

Ps, they are not crappy motors at all, my xr6 vct goes really well for a na sohc now lol!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was just serviced by the previous owner but I will put it on the scan tool next week
mid 7's is amazing
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #9
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee View Post
my 2002 xr6 uses the same and thats not stuck at traffic lights or in traffic and im not a lead foot driver i need answers too. my old hj 308 statesman had better consumption. how can you tell if its the oxygen sensor.mine is regularly serviced 17000 kms.i dont want to throw away money with no results
are you in a suburban area?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
are you in a suburban area?
yes canterbury sydney.it has used $30 of fuel at $1,14ltr since last sunday and basically havent gone anywhere. just in my area
Old 11-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel your pain
Old 12-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #12
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I feel your pain
and my wallet too
Old 12-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #13
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
was just serviced by the previous owner but I will put it on the scan tool next week
mid 7's is amazing
can u post your results thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

will do
Old 16-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
Drecian

Quote:
I have a very low km 2001 Fairlane Sportsman VCT,great car but around town driving it uses as much as 19L/100...
That seems quite high for petrol (I get similar consumption for LPG).
I have a '99 Fairlane VCT, around town on petrol I get 14-15L/100km, and that's in heavy peak hour stop-start traffic, all at 60kph or under.
I drive like a grandpa though, hardly revving over 2000rpm.
Old 17-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #16
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scanned the car today no codes
Bought a new set of NGK leads and plugs, should fix it.
A pain to change leads on these but will do it tomorrow.
Old 18-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #17
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All done with ECU reset went for a run much better
2 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
Drecian

Quote:
Good to hear!

Report back after a a few hundred km once you've established a new baseline. Pumps that click off early make it look like you used less fuel that for tank and vice versa with pumps that shut off late.

Old 18-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

MIK- I changed my injectors, fuel reg and rail didnt do much for consumption. It is a bit better about 15 per 100L
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #20
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Be good if you take it on a couple hwy runs too, most important Imo.

Good luck & well done so far!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 19-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #21
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

put a couple of hundred km's on it mix of urban and a small amount of freeway, so far 14.1 worked out by filling at the pump
doing a trip tomorrow 90%freeway driving
BTW is the K&N pt-no. for these 33-2015, are there any snorkels that make a difference?
Old 19-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #22
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

I have a bigger snorkel and scoop that fits behind the bar got them from ebay a place called lyn2lyn about $40 ea seem better
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
Phil2360
Starter Motor

Quote:
I have a very low km 2001 Fairlane Sportsman VCT,great car but around town driving it uses as much as 19L/100 about the same as my 351c XC and nearly double that my FG uses.
Steady cruise on freeway using cruise gets low to mid 10's at best
Is there much that can be done with these engines to improve fuel economy or are they just crappy engines
XR8 220 inlet snorkel.
Extractors & 2 1/2" System.
Two separate trips to ChipTorque to Dyno custom fuel maps.

Initially the air & exhaust mods dropped power & it burnt bucket loads of fuel.
The explanation I was given was that it was breathing too easily for the standard maps to compensate.

Now easily get 7.6l/100 at highway cruise of 115/120k's.
Hard country driving about 12.5 at worst.

Town cycle can still easily drop to 18+ l/100 as these's a lot of that where it doesn't get out of Open Loop.

Dyno graphs showed it putting out 4kw more than a tuned XR8 220 after they'd tuned it with a standard exhaust.
Phil2360 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #24
Phil2360
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
yes, replace the 350kpa vct fuel reg wth either a 300kpa hp xr6 or a std 275kpa reg from a std au...
Or just check the original Reg.

A known issue at one stage was the Cadmium plating (Gold Stuff) flaking of the inside of the fuel rail & blocking the reg causing high rail pressure.

Ford actually replaced my rail & reg 2 years outside warrant for this reason.

Son's 1999 ute suffered a similar problem, checked the rail pressure & it was 70psi (480kpa). Replaced the reg & back to normal.

My 2000 wagon was also thirsty at 130,000km. Oxy sensor brought it back to normal.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #25
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Wink Re: Improving VCT consumption?

Oxy sensor on AU are supposed to have a service life of 150,000k, a friend is a BMW tech and tells me age also deteriorates O2 sensors so 130K on a 15 year old car maybe that's their service life. My I6 AU2 SR ,134K,has a miss under heavy load in O/D at 100-115k/h lately and I removed the FPR this week and was clean with only a dark stain that wiped off with a fine brush. Fuel consumption is OK but may replace the O2 sensor cause I had one go in an EF that caused it to miss down low and at Hwy speed.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #26
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC50077 View Post
Oxy sensor on AU are supposed to have a service life of 150,000k, a friend is a BMW tech and tells me age also deteriorates O2 sensors so 130K on a 15 year old car maybe that's their service life. My I6 AU2 SR ,134K,has a miss under heavy load in O/D at 100-115k/h lately and I removed the FPR this week and was clean with only a dark stain that wiped off with a fine brush. Fuel consumption is OK but may replace the O2 sensor cause I had one go in an EF that caused it to miss down low and at Hwy speed.image
Same as mine in my old au futura, fuel in vac pipe & black smoke out the tailpipe is THE indicator to when to remove the fuel reg. I ended up removing mine for diddly sqat lol!

The new o2 sensor will definitely help, be sure to reset the ecu & go for a couple hwy drives too. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2360 View Post
Or just check the original Reg.

A known issue at one stage was the Cadmium plating (Gold Stuff) flaking of the inside of the fuel rail & blocking the reg causing high rail pressure.

Son's 1999 ute suffered a similar problem, checked the rail pressure & it was 70psi (480kpa). Replaced the reg & back to normal.

My 2000 wagon was also thirsty at 130,000km. Oxy sensor brought it back to normal.
Was that because of a faulty batch of fuel rails or water / corrosion in the fuel system?

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #28
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2360 View Post

I doubt it was Cad plated, this is a restricted chemical process. My guess is it would be poorly applied Passivated Zinc plating that degraded. Good to know and thanks for the info.
My VCT has been rather thirsty lately so this thread is well timed!
cheers
Bill.
Old 20-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #29
Phil2360
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Was that because of a faulty batch of fuel rails or water / corrosion in the fuel system?

cheer's, Maka
My XR had one from the faulty batch.

Spoke to customer service about the ongoing problem that wasn't resolved during warranty....

His response "But did you specifically ask them to check the rail pressure"?

Spoke to someone a bit more senior & said "I shouldn't need to explain that the rail pressure needs checking". "I'm just a dumb owner".....

End result Rail & Reg replaced at no cost.
Old 20-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #30
Phil2360
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
I doubt it was Cad plated, this is a restricted chemical process. My guess is it would be poorly applied Passivated Zinc plating that degraded. Good to know and thanks for the info.
My VCT has been rather thirsty lately so this thread is well timed!
cheers
Bill.
Pretty sure they are Cad plated, that gold finish you see on a lot of auto products....

http://www.electroloh.com/cadmium.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka

cheer's, Maka