Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Swaytan
Swaytan

Default Capacitors

Hey Guys,

Regarding car audio, what the heck is a Capacitor for? They look like they've got something to do with power...

Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swaytan your a smart guy. A capacitor stores power. I need one for my car because when my sub is actually being used at a high volume level, my headlamps dim to the bass. A capacitor stores the power so it can use that rather than draining the battery and making the alternator working harder

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
parawolf
beep beep

Think of it like a battery. However think that a battery stores long term power, and a capacitor can cover short term power. For instantanous requirements a capacitor can cover it far better than a battery and stops the dip (see FOCUSonTHIS for dipping headlights) from happening.

Capacitors can do more, but they store charge. Thats it. It is how the power gets drained out of them by the rest of the circuitry and 'capacity of charge' that depends on how the capacitor covers the dip.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
When my sub is actually being used at a high volume level, my headlamps dim to the bass.
Danny has vision of VR calais with 17" internationals, P plates, dirty leb driver complete with Craig David Beard and Rajab racing stickers with flahing headdies caused by WAY too powerful stereo..... :

LOL
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Danny has vision of VR calais with 17" internationals, P plates, dirty leb driver complete with Craig David Beard and Rajab racing stickers with flahing headdies caused by WAY too powerful stereo..... :

LOL
VR?? thats a bit flash.....

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Isn't the licence plate rattling in time with the headlights as well?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey - My cousin's VL Turbo does that.....

Lights, numberplate ; but you forgot to mention the rattling boot lid!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
VR?? thats a bit flash.....
VH SL-E then?? hahaha They're a Shoitbox and a half no matter whats been done to em!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Capacitors are a waste of money and pointless. With you money your MUCH better off getting your grounding pointed fixed up (Not only amp/s but also battery grounds), getting a new aftermarket battery and new cabling if required.

Even just fixing up your grounding points will stop dimming in 90% of cases and a new battery is always a good idea and will give you more voltage (POWER) to play with. Don't waste money on a capacitor.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Capacitors are a waste of money and pointless. With you money your MUCH better off getting your grounding pointed fixed up (Not only amp/s but also battery grounds), getting a new aftermarket battery and new cabling if required.

Even just fixing up your grounding points will stop dimming in 90% of cases and a new battery is always a good idea and will give you more voltage (POWER) to play with. Don't waste money on a capacitor.
Nah, wasn't actually gonna buy one, just thought they looked cool
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #11
theostheone

haha,

a friend of mine once went on a drive with a mate that had a subaru rx wagon. ALOT of base and abt 1 hr later they arrived home to find no back window...

ive also seen people that dont have a rear vision mirror cos of too much base... it jus doesnt stick anymore.
theostheone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
Swaytan
Swaytan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theostheone
haha,

a friend of mine once went on a drive with a mate that had a subaru rx wagon. ALOT of base and abt 1 hr later they arrived home to find no back window...

ive also seen people that dont have a rear vision mirror cos of too much base... it jus doesnt stick anymore.
Aw no, that's funny but only 'cause it's not my car...

I also had no idea that sort of thing could happen...

Though, I've played with bass players that have bass amps so powerful, the retinas in your eyes shake every time they play a note...
Old 11-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
joshf2
striped

Quote:
how does a new 12v battery give you more voltage than an old 12v battery???

and considering that the stereo is powered by the alternator when the car is running, the battery has very little to do with it.

a "good" battery is only helpful if the car is off.

with regards to the capacitor, compare it to a power regulator. the amp gets a very consistent 14.4v (or 12v) without any fluctuations due to the alternator maxing out
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Josh. do you have any idea what your talking about? I think not.

Batteries do not always put out 12V. When fully charged it will be maybe 12.5V and when empty much less. The aftermarket battery will keep its charge longer and thus you can play louder for longer.

A capacitor is only for show. If your having troubling giving your amp good voltage a capacitor won't help. What will help is getting your cabling done right. THEY ARE SIMPLY A WASTE OF MONEY
Old 12-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
simonr
Focus Rookie

i agree with pioter that is certaintly the jist i got from reading on the websites and caraudio forums..

The voltage isnt always constant, why is there voltmeters on some amps and caps?!
Even amps quote specs in 14.4v and 12v..

Caps are too expensive anyway..!!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #16
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
i agree with pioter that is certaintly the jist i got from reading on the websites and caraudio forums..

The voltage isnt always constant, why is there voltmeters on some amps and caps?!
Even amps quote specs in 14.4v and 12v..

Caps are too expensive anyway..!!!!
The concept is that they smooth out the DC ripple when a large load is required of your power source. If the battery/alternator/whatever cannot cope then the capacitor fills in the gap (simplistic explanation I know). It can and does perform this function. Capacitors are used in DC rectification circuits to perform exactly this function. AMP's may quote a range of 14.4v to 12v and they will have internal voltage circuits to ensure happy operation within their built tolerances based on the external voltage feed within the specified range.

However, if you get a trough in your DC supply (eg sub 9volts) and everything else should be up to scratch (0 gauge cables, quality earth's, quality battery, etc), then this can cause your AMP's power to flicker on an off just like a city grid brown out. This isn't 'healthy' for solid state electrics.

However if you are dropping down sub 9volts from a 12/13.8/14.4 volt supply then you have bigger issues that a 1FARAD or multiple capacitors will mask. You could be hurting your car's ECU, injectors, etc.

I agree that a capacitor is extranous for most installs - however they have become part of the 'scene' and become a must have, and an easy fix for installers rather than ensuring that things are done properly from day one.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
joshf2
striped

pieoter, did you read any of what i said before firing off that poorly thought out statement?

when the car is running, the battery doesnt power anything. therefore, whether its a new battery or an old battery, its irrelevant.

so the voltage fluctuates from the alternator, its not only running the stereo is it? its got other ancillaries to power as well.

what an aftermarket battery does is allow to you play the stereo whilst the car is off for longer. does SFA when the motor is running.

and the reason why amps quote 14.4v and 12v are because they are the voltages that exist when the car is on (alternator is at 14.4v because it needs to have a greater voltage than battery to charge it) and 12v is when car if off and its running off the battery.

with regards to a capacitor being extranous, ive found it to be useful. i ran an upgraded 130amp alternator, an odyssey 600 redtop, 2 gauge to the rear, and still found that lil charge light on my capacitor dimming a bit. and yes, i did do the earth cables, from the alternator, and also from the battery.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #18
Swaytan
Swaytan

Look at what I've started...
Old 12-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #19
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, good work Josh you know how a car electrical system works. Do you want a ИИИ medal?

If you got light dimming issues you simply didn't do the wiring properly. Capacitors are for show and to cover ИИИИ installs.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #20
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Yeh, good work Josh you know how a car electrical system works. Do you want a ИИИ medal?

If you got light dimming issues you simply didn't do the wiring properly. Capacitors are for show and to cover ИИИИ installs.
Josh has dimming issues in his head as well as his car..... :nutsycuck :nutsycuck
Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #21
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

maybe everyone should calm down a little bit, we don't want to scare all these new members away now do we?

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #22
joshf2
striped

Quote:

the question is, do you know how a car electrical system works? perhaps you need some more lessons

i never said i had dimming headlights. i said the charge meter on the capacitor blinked every so often. you should also learn to read