Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
XlR8TED

Default Dealer undercharged

So I picked up my new Focus XR5 on Monday afternoon and upon getting home noticed that the figures didn't seem to stack up. I had a trade + a deposit & financed the rest. However, the total of these figures did not total the purchase price of the car. Infact, it was a few thousand less.

I've just received a call from the dealer asking me to come in to re-sign some forms as 'there was some incorrect details on the original document'. Obviously they've picked it up.

I know the moral thing to do here is to re-sign and have the loan amount reflect the actual change over price, but I would think having a signed legal contract with the lower amount would allow me to tell them to bugger off. In short, I've got them by the short and curlys, no?

I will end up doing the right thing, but I think I might make them sweat it a bit.

What would you guys do?

Old 24-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

In my book its always better to do the right thing, its better to have a good relationship with your dealer, one day you may need his assistance..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 24-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

How close is the next dealer?
Old 24-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contracts are signed, so you dont have to do anything.

If it was the other way round where it was in the dealer's favour do you think they would be changing it?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Were you happy with the deal you were offered? I assume you were because you agreed to it. But it's your choice.

My view is that you should go and resign. Because of a couple of reasons......As Spooly said, you may need the dealer one day, plus.....it's the right thing to do.

I'm a firm believer that you should always act as you would want others to act if the situation was reversed.

Unfortunately, it's an attitude which sometimes seems to be disappearing from the Australian landscape ......

Strangers have the best candy.......
Old 24-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
XlR8TED

Just to restate, I am re-signing. Was more interested in what other people would do given the same situation. Just so no bottles get thrown my direction!
Old 24-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ask them what they want you to resign and what for first.. Make sure they are upfront and honest with you and dont lie to you.

Id be willing to come to some arrangement but I wouldnt pay the full shortfall.. Sadly when the shoes on the other foot as XR6 Martin has stated they aren't always so willing.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ask them what they want you to resign and what for first.. Make sure they are upfront and honest with you and dont lie to you. .
They weren't honest.

I asked what details were incorrect, and she mentioned something about 'details relating to the insurances we removed'.

Those insurances being loan insurance, tyre and rim insurance etc (I just wanted the change over financed, not paying interest on that other fluff)

Removing those meant it had to be re-submitted for approval from St. George Bank. I'm guessing it was there that the loan amount changed.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
glavas

do what you think is the right thing!!!!!!!!!!! at least ask for a tank of fuel for going back in there. or some mats or something. maybe even a free service.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guess it depends if you want the same dealer to service it and cover warranty claims etc. They might make it difficult for you. If there was another dealer I wouldnt re sign, you have no friends in business.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

All financial agreements have a 'cooling off' period for the buyer.
I wonder if it applies to the seller too?
Old 24-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
I'm a firm believer that you should always act as you would want others to act if the situation was reversed.

Unfortunately, it's an attitude which sometimes seems to be disappearing from the Australian landscape ......
And Ford dealers being renamed as Ford Stealers on a Ford forum certainly doesnt suggest many of them are above the curve either.

Im all for doing the right thing, with people who do the right thing.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XlR8TED
They weren't honest.

I asked what details were incorrect, and she mentioned something about 'details relating to the insurances we removed'.

Those insurances being loan insurance, tyre and rim insurance etc (I just wanted the change over financed, not paying interest on that other fluff)

Removing those meant it had to be re-submitted for approval from St. George Bank. I'm guessing it was there that the loan amount changed.
Theres your answer buddy..

Tell them to eat eggs and use another dealer for servicing.. If they had have been honest to start with you would do the right thing and negotiate a suitable outcome, whether you cover 80% and they suffer the rest or fill you up with some free accessories but to lie to you and expect to be able to fudge the deal is very wrong.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 24-11-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
GYRKIN GT

For the deal to have been completed, the inference must be that I was happy with the transaction. No question, I would re-sign the documents. Karma can end up being a real b*%ch.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Karma!!!
Old 24-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
familybus

make a deal with them!

tell em youl come in and let them root yah in the bottom like the original deal if they extend your warranty for a few more years and you also want every upgrade possible!

if make em sweat it out!

i know of a few people who been shafted and even a jeep dealer who has been using the wrong oils in a mates new Jeep Commander and wondering why hes gone through 2 engines and **** knows how many bits!
Old 24-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Theres your answer buddy..

Tell them to eat eggs and use another dealer for servicing.. If they had have been honest to start with you would do the right thing and negotiate a suitable outcome, whether you cover 80% and they suffer the rest or fill you up with some free accessories but to lie to you and expect to be able to fudge the deal is very wrong.
Yep, scamming now only indicates what the future is like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT
For the deal to have been completed, the inference must be that I was happy with the transaction. No question, I would re-sign the documents. Karma can end up being a real b*%ch.
Maybe its the Ford dealers bad karma, and the OP's good karma.

Not that I believe in fairy tales.
Old 24-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351

Maybe its the Ford dealers bad karma, and the OP's good karma.
Exactly.

Your first mistake was going to a Ford dealer in Canberra, dont make a second mistake by going back.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 24-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
They weren't honest.

I'm with Dash GT on this one.

They gave you a figure you were happy with to finance, but it wasn't the real figure as that didn't include the various insurances that you expected were coming out of your trade & deposit.

Then they try to get you to go to them, your own time etc with a deceptive request.

Not good enough.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 24-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would pull out entirely and screw the next dealer very very hard and get a better price...take it as a sign
it's not a pair of shoes..it is the biggest purchase we make besides a house...go HARD
Old 24-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #21
Scott

If they can't be honest enough to tell you that they stuffed up (and really, I have never heard anyone in the auto industry tell me they made a mistake and that they'd fix it) then stand your ground.

Chalk it up as one for the masses and buy us all a beer for Christmas.
Old 24-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
XlR8TED

Thanks for everyone's replies. Lots of varying opinions!

I think I know how I'm going to handle it when I go in tomorrow afternoon. Will report back after I've seen them.
Old 24-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #23
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Good luck with it mate!
Old 24-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's written in the contract, then that's the price you pay. Dealers are real quick to scribble out the cooling off period and have you initial it. They made a mistake, and I think they need to wear it. How many sets of eyes glanced over the contract and no one picked up any discrepancy.
Old 24-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
kezzer

If they are dishonest to you then they do not deserve your goodwill. Simple.
Fraud tried a few nasty things on me when I was buying my car, was a teenager so thought they could have the better of me. f**ks
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.

Last edited by kezzer; 24-11-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 24-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think I know how I'm going to handle it when I go in tomorrow afternoon.
Why are you going in? Tell them to post out the amended contract.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #27
XlR8TED

The thing to remember though...

This is a loan contract. They didn't actually provide me with a contract of sale - or whatever they call the itemised list of car price - trade - deposit etc (a copy to keep at least). This is where I think I might have no leg to stand on in any case.
Old 24-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The thing to remember though...

This is a loan contract. They didn't actually provide me with a contract of sale - or whatever they call the itemised list of car price - trade - deposit etc (a copy to keep at least). This is where I think I might have no leg to stand on in any case.
Did they give you a dealer invoice?? Ring your financier, all you need is the dealer invoice, no contract needed, once the vehicle is paid for and released (meaning your financier has settled it) then theres nothing they can do.

Seriously, if they had have been honest to start with I would have advised you to work with them, but they havent so why bother.
Old 24-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #29
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your morals dont let you take financial advantage of this situation, fair enough. But let them do the running around. It was their mistake, let them come to you. Why should you be put out because they dont know how to do their job?
Old 24-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

if they are not upfront with you stuff em, tell them what you think is the real problem and get some freebies off them for your troubles. put them in their place and show them your not a fool.
Closed Thread