Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default TDCI brake problems

Hi Guys.
I have a LT TDCI turbo diesel and now a couple of times after not driving it for a few days I have no vacuum assist for the brakes. It takes a couple of minutes to build up. I assume there is a leak somewhere I don't even know where the vacuum pump is located.
Any ideas?
Probably similar arrangement to the Turbo XR5 because they both run positive manifold pressures

marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: TDCI brake problems

Mine does this in the morning after night layover, drive it out of the garage down a slight slope and no power brakes.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I can't say I've had any brake issues, that doesn't sound normal to me.

If I remember correctly the LS had a recall where the rear brake hose would rub against something and cause a rupture, not sure whether LT was included in that.

Have a look at the rear brake lines.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not an issue with the hydrolic part of the brakes but rather with the vacuum (power) assistance with the brake pedal. I seem to be loosing vacuum so the first application required the pedal to be pushed very hard to do much.
Old 17-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I just did a quick Google search and found an article from the Sydney Morning Herald regarding this issue and a recall by Ford. The article is dated Oct 2009 and the section concerning this stated as follows -

** Ford also issued a recall for some turbo-diesel Mondeos (and Focuses) for a faulty vacuum booster for the braking system. Should the booster fail, there wouldn't be enough vacuum to power the brakes effectively. The brakes would still work but the pedal may feel very hard to push and could initially feel as if the brakes aren't working at all. A Ford dealer will be able to tell you if a particular car was affected and whether it has been fixed. **

I'm not sure if this was for your model or not but it might be worth contacting your local dealer about it

Full article here - http://www.smh.com.au/news/motoring/...e#contentSwap1

Last edited by Russ; 17-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks Russ. I will give them a call.