Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
TuMor
its not a!

Default Took my EA to the Motorplex...

My first time to the drags, i had heaps of fun. I wanted to see what my car can do before i perform any mods so here are the times of my three runs.

Stock 1988 EA-spak
5-spd
Dual Fuel
CFI
No other mods
320,000km original motor/gearbox/diff
(Made the passes on petrol)

1st
ET - 17.980 @ 69.12mph
RT - 0.529
60' - 3.075

2nd ...Getting Better
ET - 17.511 @ 79.36mph
RT - 0.625
60' - 2.812

3rd
ET - 17.406 @ 79.71mph
RT - 0.663
60' - 2.770

The last two runs i did the ol' single spinner burnout, didnt really need to but it was fun anyways. The first burnout the whole car jumped to the side and crabed a little.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
CruizinEB
Banned

dosent look to bad for stock ;)
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:08 AM   #3
TuMor
its not a!

My mate had his Falcon there too, same as mine but with pacemakers and 2.5" exhaust. He got his times down to 17.1s

I think if i practice my starts and get the reaction time down a bit i could get close to 17 flat

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 01-12-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
CruizinEB
Banned

do driving games on your PC and that will bring your reaction time up ;)
Old 01-12-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
TuMor
its not a!

Not in real life... i had to concentrate on keeping the revs at the right point and to slip the clutch well. I was reacting when i saw the green light, i might try starting when i see that last yellow before the green. Im such a n00b

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
woodstock_rocks

Reaction times are fine there mate.. thet don't count to the time anyway, because the clock starts when u pass the reaction line. mph is a good inditcation of times, and those times look spot on for the mph..

good job
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:25 AM   #7
TuMor
its not a!

Im still experimenting when is best to change gears, because its a CFI EA there is little action after 4200rpm. I was changing at 4000rpm which feels right, my mate changes at 3800rpm sorta keeps it in the torque curve rather than the short powerband.
My car aint that fast, but im having fun improving my skills in takeoffs and such.
Thanks for the info on reaction times, i thought they would count!

Oh funny story too my second run i was agianst a VYSS ute my 60' time was heaps better than his he only ran a 16.5 which was pretty slow for a genIII.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 01-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
stiddy
Banned

Will only get better with practise man..
17's isnt too bad and you will only get faster..
i had an NA fairlane mpefi, 3spd auto, 2.7 diff, crazy head shaving, headers/exhaust and intake and i got it to the low 17's..

What rpms are you launching the car at? and what psi were your tyres at?
what rpms are you shifting at? how are you shifting?
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
TuMor
its not a!

Tyres are crappy bridgestones 215 width i put em down to 26psi

The first run i wasnt ready and dumped the clutch, almost stalled it was really bad.

The other runs i was launching at 2500rpm slipping the clutch to keep the revs between 2000-2500rpm (with right foot to the floor) seems to work well.
I remember shifting a bit late most times, after 4000rpm around 4100rpm. I shift normally, clutch in the same time as i shift.. i let off the throttle, power shifting is useless and screws the gearbox.
I was surprised when i got the wheels churping when changing to second, never done that before.

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 01-12-2005, 02:45 AM   #10
stiddy
Banned

my advice....
air in tyres down to 18-20 psi..
3500rpm launch minimum.. i usually let it go from 4000rpm.. not full dump but not all slip either.. kind of slip it till moving and then dump it.. (2.17 60ft) for me..
hold each gear to 5500rpm.. and keep your foot planted when you shift...
(yes i know taking the gear past 4100 is way past its power band, but when you change gear, the revs of the next gear will drop right into the power band.. where as shifting at 4000rpm is droping the revs below power band, so the car has to work its way back into power band before it can get going again, making it slower)

Ive tested so many different ways at the track with my car, and i found this to be the best way, but i usually rev mine right out to 5800rpm..

next time your back out at the track.. give it a go and see.. i almost garentee you'll have a 16..
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #11
TuMor
its not a!

Ive tried letting go at 3500rpm, just cooks the clutch and it doesnt grab.
Ill try taking it out to 5500rpm, i dont think it will work well. we are talking about CFI here, lol
The car loses acceleration after 4200rpm and isnt comfortable revving out all the way. MPFI motors seem to have that nice powerband that keeps going till redline, my mates EB panovan goes past its tacho!

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 01-12-2005, 03:16 AM   #12
CruizinEB
Banned

have you thought about dropping in a 4L MPEFI?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
TuMor
its not a!

Heh, im goin better than that.
Got a Snort kit on its way, im gona convert the 3.9 to MPFI. Im also going to rebuild an ED tickford 6 to chuck im once i kill the stock motor ;)

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
Old 01-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMor
Ive tried letting go at 3500rpm, just cooks the clutch and it doesnt grab.
Ill try taking it out to 5500rpm, i dont think it will work well. we are talking about CFI here, lol
The car loses acceleration after 4200rpm and isnt comfortable revving out all the way. MPFI motors seem to have that nice powerband that keeps going till redline, my mates EB panovan goes past its tacho!
dont you love that burnt clutch smell... took me a fair few meets before my clutch actually gave way.. and it used to slip at ever time on launch..
lol i had a mate with an CFI wagon, stock as a rock and he used to rev it till it couldnt rev anymore.. didnt last long.. never did find the limiter though???

i forgot to mention the fairlane had a crow cam aswell which helped it rev alot better to, never really took it past 6200rpm though.. Redline ended at 6000rpm...... but that thing blew a headgasket ever 20,000k's (3 in 2 years!)

i used to short shift at around 4500-5000rpm.. and then i though bugger it i'll take it to almost redline each gear.. and i droped from a 15.5-6 to a pb 15.2 totally stock.. now with the cat back exhaust ive dropped to a pb 15.0