Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default What type of (non car) insurances do we need?

So I had a bit of a scare recently. Nothing happened from it, but it made me realise that I may be grossly under-insured.
I'm in my late 30's with three kids.

I've never had Life and/or Income Protection Insurance; what do these insurances cover exactly and what do they do for me/my family in the event I die or can not work for any extended period of time?

Appreciate any info/advice from any experts in the field or anyone who has recently looked into the same thing.

Thanks in advance.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What type of (non car) insurances do we need?

I have life and IP

But policies arnt all the same some IP only covers a sort period others longer, I set mine up so it doesn't come in for the first 12 weeks but covers me for a longer period eg if I get Real sick or injured

It's NOT cheap so you need to decided what YOU and your family need and a car forum really isn't the place for advice

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
nstg8a

Since I'm a kiwi living here I know I have no welfare safety net so I've had income insurance since I moved here.
It's not cheap,,but it's not that expensive either and considering what I stand to lose if I had no income it's a cost I'm happy to pay for peace of mind.
Now that I feeling old and decrepit I'm going to start looking at decent medical insurance.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 01:02 AM   #4
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
It's NOT cheap so you need to decided what YOU and your family need and a car forum really isn't the place for advice
No, I totally get that and you're probably right.
It's just I have really no idea what they do/cover so just wanted a bit of a laymens explanation before I made contact with an insurance broker and got sold something I didn't need.

Are these type of insurances normal to get?
What age to people generally look at these insurances?
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 26-04-2016, 02:05 AM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
No, I totally get that and you're probably right.
It's just I have really no idea what they do/cover so just wanted a bit of a laymens explanation before I made contact with an insurance broker and got sold something I didn't need.

Are these type of insurances normal to get?
What age to people generally look at these insurances?
I have both. Had them for years.

As stated they are not cheap and will depend on your lifestyle and job etc.

As also stated, it is very hard to give advice on these types of insurances, there are too many variables.

The only advice I can give is to shop around and read the PDS carefully. Otherwise ask someone you can confide in and trust to help you.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A number of superannuation policies have income protection as part of their deal so you may already have it.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
A number of superannuation policies have income protection as part of their deal so you may already have it.
My super doesn't have IP but does have life, I've chosen to top it up to cover my debts and stuff so if I drop off the twig my life and family don't have to worry about paying the mortgage to keep a roof over their heads

Like wise my IP doesn't cover me for 12 weeks but covers me up until my super kicks in at 80% of my current salary And increases with CPI

My biggest fear is again something happens where I can't work and my wife has to cover all the bills

^^^^

This. If you die leave no debts for your loved ones.

Insurance is the biggest waste of money until it is the best money you ever spent.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 28-04-2016 at 10:08 AM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
My super doesn't have IP but does have life, I've chosen to top it up to cover my debts and stuff so if I drop off the twig my life and family don't have to worry about paying the mortgage to keep a roof over their heads

Like wise my IP doesn't cover me for 12 weeks but covers me up until my super kicks in at 80% of my current salary And increases with CPI

My biggest fear is again something happens where I can't work and my wife has to cover all the bills
My super had both. Income protection was at 90% with only a 2 week waiting period. You had to exhaust your sick and long service leave first but that was ok. It was a massive boon to me after accidents at work, after Workcover ran out of course.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Sounds like selecting the right Super fund could help me cover my Life and IP concerns also... Which Super funds are you guys with please?
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 26-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with QSuper.
Old 26-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: What type of (non car) insurances do we need?

I have two super funds.

RioTinto super and MTAA.

Both have life insurance policies attached.
My fiance also has some sort of cover for us with Insurance line as well, but not sure if that's just a funeral cover or something more.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's up to you what you need (want) and what your work provides.

I have income protection through work, as well as life insurance, so if I die from any cause at all I am covered to a certain degree (enough to pay out any mortgages and loans I may have as well as funeral costs)

If I die at work while working my cover/payout is higher, but none the less I am covered 24hrs a day seven days a week.

Before getting any cover you need to make sure it covers you, some may cover accidental death but not disease/medical issues, some may be the other way around, while others pay more under certain circumstances, some don't cover suicide, etc etc. Suicide may be as simple as a drug OD while terminally ill.

Too may considerations to give cover all advise. Really depends on your financial and personal circumstances.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other thing you should check is the amount of your death and disability cover which is provided as part of your super. You have the option to increase this cover.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget if you have family, i.e. kids, wife/partner, you really need three policies, (it gets expensive).

Life insurance (in case YOU die)- provides a lump Sum payout to your wife / partner and kids. Hopefully enough $$$ to pay off or buy house in a lump sum and provide some cash incase YOU die.

Income protection - provides income in case you are unable to work. Lots of different options.

Life insurance (incase your wife / partner dies) - this one 90% of people forget especially with school aged kids. you need the cash as you may choose to no longer work full time and take care of the kids.

My three policies cost over $500 / month, damn exxy but it's premium cover and each adult is insured for $1 Mil cash on either death plus my income insurance.

It is peace of mind knowing should the worst happen we are covered and able to take care of the kids without worry.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if you do get income insurance etc you may not be entitled to Centrelink if you get sick and are off work. It is important to think about this as the medications can be expensive if you have to pay full prices.

If you are off work sick and you are on Centrelink you may be entitle to a Heath care card which will give you massive discounts on medicines, so over all you may be better off on Centrelink.

End of the day you need to find out what your covered for bad what best suits your needs. It's the same with any insurance including car insurance, all policies are different and you need to read the PDS. If you have a question or don't understand something about a policy you need to ask.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #16
OzriderXR8

There are basically 3 types of insurance, Life cover, Total and Permanent disability and income protection.

Life - lump sum payout on death
TPD - Lump sum payout for defined disabilities, e.g. heart attack, cancer, amputation.
Income Protection - all different, check your policy, some only cover for 12 months, others offer more.

I'm covered under a company super / benefit for 4 times annual salary for all of the above, my Income Protection is 80% salary until age 65.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post