Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default New Submarines

Plans are be drawn up for a new batch of submarines to replace the ageing and problematic Collins class submarines.

Front runner to the replacement seems to be 10 new high tech Japanese Soryu class submarines. These seem to be the best non nuclear submarines in the world. Good so far, but then along comes the highly emotive rhetoric:

1) we will sink any sub not built locally
2) remember WW2
3) threat to Australia's security

Now some people have short memories, because

A) building submarine locally wasn't exactly a good endeavour, i.e. Collins class
a) massive budget blowouts
b) subs which were and still are problematic to maintain and keep at sea
c) subs which are not actually much good due to their ability to generate a lot of noise whilst underwater
d) as for sinking any sub not built locally, I think the Collins class is a self fulfilling prophecy in the respect

B) WW2
a) you know the argument is on thin ice when the old WW2 chestnut gets mentioned
b) we seem to have no problem using other Japanese products, TV's, watches and Cars

C) threat to national security
a) admittedly this one has me a little confused, I would have thought having 10 working Soryu submarines would be better for national security that 5 so-so Collins class submarines
b) we have twice as many subs in half the time to build locally

Here I was thinking the objective is to have a reasonable defence capability.

We buy warplanes from the USA, ships from Spain, tanks from the USA and we don't get anywhere near the rhetoric, so what's the problem buying Japanese submarines?

Personally instead of buying submarines I would ask the USA if they'd be prepared to lease 10 nuclear powered submarines to the RAN for 20 years.

So what's the big deal?

Last edited by cheap; 11-09-2014 at 09:23 AM.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 
Default Re: New Submarines

With the US's reduced defence spending, there's very little chance they'd be loaning or leasing us much capital hardware these days.
I think sadly it is a smart move, we have proven that we can't sustain an effective and efficient ship building (more so submarine building) industry. It's the economy of scale, you can't setup ship building and only have work for them periodically.
Anyone who has spent time in a US shipyard will see there are almost no parallels to anything we have here. These days South Korea, Singapore, Japan etc are key players in ship building, why not get value for money and a quality product.
Sadly this means our workers suffer, the government should as part of this purchase setup a process to assist this work force to transition into another industry with a future.
Also, the failure of the Collins can not be solely blamed on Adelaide and the builders, this project was flawed before one piece of steel was cut, building an unproven and previously unbuilt submarine here was always a huge risk, the submarine design had major flaws and the combat system didn't work (both issues now largely resolved).

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I can understand choosing the Japanese option if they are half price.

The other side of the coin is what are we doing to keep skilled manufacturing jobs this country? It is not sustainable the path we are on.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Figures being splashed around suggest they are more like one third the price. Considering that we arent flush with cash, this seems a logical economic decision.
Now if it only cost 20% more then perhaps I could understand those complaining about this, but even then, the Japanese subs are a proven product that would be a superior to one built by casual Aussie ship builders.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Imo we need these import subs now, our commercial & industrial ship building concerns should come second to any urgent security / military need. No brainer!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
whishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I can understand choosing the Japanese option if they are half price.

The other side of the coin is what are we doing to keep skilled manufacturing jobs this country? It is not sustainable the path we are on.
Never going to keep skilled jobs in this country when Unions are fighting for $60 an hour labour rates with 1.5 or 2x penalty rates... Its just not sustainable.
whishy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
b) subs which ... still are problematic to maintain and keep at sea
c) subs which are not actually much good due to their ability to generate a lot of noise whilst underwater
According to who?

The biggest issue with the Collins boats in recent years has been having enough crew to put one to sea.

As for the Soryu class, there are a number of issues with choosing this vessel:

1) doesn't have the range of the Collins class
2) doesn't have a VLS for land-attack missiles (Defence wants land attack capability)
3) Japan intends to start removing them from service roughly the same time we start introducing them
4) They might be the bees knees now, but by 2025-2030 they won't be.

Far better to choose a design like the German Type 216 that already meets the spec and mission parameter and has advanced technologies that arent yet mainstream so that the subs have a technological edge over any potential future adversary.

As for building them here...well...uhh...I dunno. Where are they getting these costs from? The other day someone bandied around a cost of "between $50 Billion and $80 Billion" but with no proof. Sounds like a red herring to me. I think the deal has already been done...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Governments (both persuasions) seem to have NO idea when it comes to large capital expenditure!
Look at examples like Vic's desal plant.. Their latest choice in fighter jets... Even freeways! They'll build a 2 lane freeway which is fine today.. and within 3 years it's grid-locked.. Then there will be another 3 years of traffic mayhem as they decide to add a lane or 2!
They never ever look to the future, it's always NOW while they're in power.
It's always NOW, to win votes...
AND in the subs case "look how much we saved" when in fact, by the time the things are delivered they are totally out-dated junk! (and the price has meanwhile, blown out to the shizenhousin!)
Politicians (who are usually just ex-teachers or trade unionists) should NOT be making these multimillion dollar spending decisions..
They get wined and dined (plus, God knows what OTHER incentives?) by these overseas multinationals to buy their 2nd rate junk, without having a friggen clue of the product or it's technology.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Governments (both persuasions) seem to have NO idea when it comes to large capital expenditure!
Look at examples like Vic's desal plant.. Their latest choice in fighter jets... Even freeways! They'll build a 2 lane freeway which is fine today.. and within 3 years it's grid-locked.. Then there will be another 3 years of traffic mayhem as they decide to add a lane or 2!
AND in the subs case "look how much we saved" when in fact, by the time the things are delivered they are totally out-dated junk! (and the price has meanwhile, blown out to the shizenhousin!)
Politicians (who are usually just ex-teachers or trade unionists) should NOT be making these multimillion dollar spending decisions..
They get wined and dined (plus, God knows what OTHER incentives?) by these overseas multinationals to buy their 2nd rate junk, without having a friggen clue of the product or it's technology.
When it come to military hardware purchases it is usually purchased on the recommendation of the military chiefs decisions as to what they really want, the only bit the govco stuffs up is whether manufactured overseas or here depending on cost outlay.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too my way of thinking, we should continue to build our own subs, people worry to much about meeting budgets, if it costs more tuff, if it takes a bit longer to perfect, tuff.
We have thrown away so many jobs and industry to become a country that's makes almost nothing and buys from other countrys what often turns out to be expensive rubbish.
We then have to pay for country x to train us how to use their crap when we already now how our own crap works, and Iit won'tcost billions to service it and get parts.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being geographically isolated and surrounded by water, our aim should be to get the best subs!!!! Be it acquired or made here. Same goes with our planes and Army. Small, but better equipped and trained. And if that fails just text Obama for help.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Too my way of thinking, we should continue to build our own subs, people worry to much about meeting budgets, if it costs more tuff, if it takes a bit longer to perfect, tuff.
We have thrown away so many jobs and industry to become a country that's makes almost nothing and buys from other countrys what often turns out to be expensive rubbish.
We then have to pay for country x to train us how to use their crap when we already now how our own crap works, and Iit won'tcost billions to service it and get parts.
Not for $80 Billion we shouldn't.

Look I want to support local industry as well, and I think there should be an option on the table to build them locally as a first-pass option not a last resort, but if those costs are in fact true, then we have a massive problem with costs in this country.

I should add that the tens of billions figure being bandied around is not the individual unit price per sub (i.e. 80 billion divided by 10 subs) it is the total lifecycle costs of the subs, plus the subs themselves.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 12-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I agree that the Jap subs would not be fit for the purpose we need them for for reasons already mentioned, and that we need a more advanced and capable alternative to serve us well into the future. Whether that is built here or sourced from overseas all depends on the value for money proposition, as long as what we are getting is indeed what we need well into the future, not just a platform that 'will do'.

And Collins subs are no where near as bad as people think, they are a world class sub which can cause real damage if need be whilst being quite stealthy. They just don't have any crew for them, because Navy boys and girls seem to be too claustrophobic not having a dig at them, I wouldn't go into one for months on end either.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Apparently the name of the Jap subs, was the name of a WWII aircraft carrier that launched planes that bombed Darwin.

It would be an absolute slap in the face of our veterans if we purchased them, considering the name was used to "honour" the carrier that killed our people.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
The other option is a direct democracy where we as voters get to vote on all choices, instead of representative where we elect people to make these choices for us.

Or i can be the evil communist dictator, I'm willing to do that for everyone out of the good of my heart
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The government doesn’t appear to be listening to what anyone says, and seems determined to try and leverage Australia’s new Free-Trade Agreement with Japan as well as build a political bloc to offset the rise of China. Buying Japanese submarines will no doubt give China the *****, but we should care less about what China thinks about our defence procurement. Stuff China. But Tony Abbott said last week that industry policy should not determine or dictate defence policy. In my view it cuts both ways Tony, you shouldn’t let foreign policy dictate or influence defence procurement.

2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #17
BHDOGS
Banned

Its the typical bull**** Australia does oh it saves money its ok when its not my job thats being lost oh its ok when its not my tax dollars being wasted oh people on centre link are such a drain why cant they get jobs! well heres one ******* example why not. As typical of this bull**** country we live in were selling out souls for dollars while sending our kids futures offshore to save a couple of bucks for some rich cashed up twats to negative gear there house instead of spending money on something that could actually be ******* useful and built here.

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-09-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: You really do have a problem, dont you.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #18
karj
XY Falcon

Clarke and Dawe on Submarines
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Apparently the name of the Jap subs, was the name of a WWII aircraft carrier that launched planes that bombed Darwin.

It would be an absolute slap in the face of our veterans if we purchased them, considering the name was used to "honour" the carrier that killed our people.
I think any digger would instead say by the best we can afford that can help try to prevent any more of our people dying in war.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Australia can't seem to build anything right. The Collins disaster should ensure it is never again attempted here.
Old 13-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Maybe we build something under license, so we pretty much just assemble it locally rather than attempting to design something.

Keep people in jobs and still get something good as well.

If there's something I've learned in my short stint in manufacturing, don't try to modify something for what it was never designed to do, it just turns into an unreliable expensive failure.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Its the typical bull**** Australia does oh it saves money its ok when its not my job thats being lost oh its ok when its not my tax dollars being wasted oh people on centre link are such a drain why cant they get jobs! well heres one ******* example why not. As typical of this bull**** country we live in were selling out souls for dollars while sending our kids futures offshore to save a couple of bucks for some rich cashed up twats to negative gear there house instead of spending money on something that could actually be ******* useful and built here.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Quote: