Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation Ford's Global Labor costs (excl. Asia)

Wage agreement renegotiations with the Canadian Auto Worker's Union have revealed a few things about how well off they are compared with Ford plant workers in other regions. The CAW has entered negotiations resisting any further "givebacks" than what it conceded in 2009.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...e-workers.html

Quote:
Ford estimates that it spends $79 for every hour of work in Canadian plants, when including costs for benefits and retirees, compared with $64 an hour in the U.S., $48 in Germany and $35 in Australia, Lauren More, a Ford spokeswoman, said. Looking just at wage rates, CAW assemblers get about $34 an hour, 21 percent more than the $28 paid to a senior worker represented by the Detroit-based United Auto Workers union, she said.
Obviously this is all considered in US dollars, and Asia is cheaper than anywhere else but it slams the door on the claim that Australia is such a high cost place for Ford to build cars - at least when you compare it to North America and Europe. Particularly Ford Europe which is about to commence a painful restructuring process.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: Ford's Global Labor costs (excl. Asia)

Wow. Nice find.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Why are the NA figures so high?? I thought it was always a given that American workers got paid much less than us.

Having said that, the per hour figures quoted are not pay, rather what the company pays to keep that person employed. What is all the rest for? Bureaucracy? Insurance? It says ‘retirees and benefits’ are to blame but I would really like a little more detail. A look at the take home pay per hr for, say a plant worker etc.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Obviously this is all considered in US dollars, and Asia is cheaper than anywhere else but it slams the door on the claim that Australia is such a high cost place for Ford to build cars - at least when you compare it to North America and Europe. Particularly Ford Europe which is about to commence a painful restructuring process.

No one compares wage rates on its own. Its what work you get out off the worker for the money you pay him (productivity) thats important. I think i read somewhere (but cant find it now so dont quote me on it), that GM had a plant that made 3 times the amount of cars as Holdens elizabeth plant with the same amount of employees.

Ask any boss, and they would be more than happy to give someone a 50% pay rise, if they got 100% more work out of them (they'll save the money when they sack the second person).

And alot of the North American wage rates include pension requirements, which are picked up by the government here, but the company over there.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how they compare that, I reckon the average person on the production line in Oz would be on probably $35/hr. Thumb suck and completely without any knowledge of the FORD AUSTRALIA ENTERPRISE AGREEMENT 2009 (VEHICLE AND GENERAL SALARY ROLL)

So by the time Ford added all the add-on costs such as superannuation, payroll tax, workcover, income protection, leave loadings and all the other costs, it would be around $50 per hour without any corporate overhead included.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which is precisely why Australia can have a prosperous motor vehicle industry. Where we lag is the vehicles we build, we need to making cars people want.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Time for a stop work meeting comrades.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Some plants lines pay under $20 an hour in U.S...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Why are the NA figures so high?? I thought it was always a given that American workers got paid much less than us.

Having said that, the per hour figures quoted are not pay, rather what the company pays to keep that person employed. What is all the rest for? Bureaucracy? Insurance? It says ‘retirees and benefits’ are to blame but I would really like a little more detail. A look at the take home pay per hr for, say a plant worker etc.
Holiday pay - 20 days
Public holidays - 10 days
Sick days - 8 to 10 days
Workers compensation insurance
Training programs
Toolbox meetings

All the things that have to be paid for and appear magically in the pay packet as needed..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Wow...this is excellent news!

So, in effect...

Any Media that tries to say that the falcon is being replaced by an imported Taurus is wrong on two facts.

-The taurus isn't RHD, and is not known yet if the next gen will be.
-Why import if its cheaper to build here.

While this isn't a confirmation on post 2016 happenings in Australia, its a darn good indication on what could be planned. Ford know there is a market for RWD in a few sectors...and the Mustang is planned for RHD...

Might be optimistic, but you coulod say Australia could be Fords RHD RWD product base.

That, or a base for EUCD RHD products lol

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Some plants lines pay under $20 an hour in U.S...
only Tier 2 new hires, all the rest get about $25/hr... but most companies pick up
medical insurance for the family, workers comp and pension plan.
Old 16-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Wow...this is excellent news!

So, in effect...

Any Media that tries to say that the falcon is being replaced by an imported Taurus is wrong on two facts.

-The taurus isn't RHD, and is not known yet if the next gen will be.
-Why import if its cheaper to build here.

While this isn't a confirmation on post 2016 happenings in Australia, its a darn good indication on what could be planned. Ford know there is a market for RWD in a few sectors...and the Mustang is planned for RHD...

Might be optimistic, but you coulod say Australia could be Fords RHD RWD product base.

That, or a base for EUCD RHD products lol
Yes
Yes,
yes
and god I hope so..
Old 16-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Don't the North America plants also pay a pension when you retire? Kinda like our super except that is paid as a pension and not into a fund?

So how many retired workers are there in North America? Say 1 working and 3 retired?

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just because wages are more or less means bugger all imo, unless you take into account taxes, oh&s, raw materials, transport, utility cost, power water, gas, council rates,and all the other costs of doing business in respective countries i`d put a tenner on it we are still pretty high up the expensive ladder list.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
I don't know how they compare that, I reckon the average person on the production line in Oz would be on probably $35/hr. Thumb suck and completely without any knowledge of the FORD AUSTRALIA ENTERPRISE AGREEMENT 2009 (VEHICLE AND GENERAL SALARY ROLL)

So by the time Ford added all the add-on costs such as superannuation, payroll tax, workcover, income protection, leave loadings and all the other costs, it would be around $50 per hour without any corporate overhead included.
$25 an hr on the production line is about tops. Trades would make somewhere around 30-35 I think.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Holiday pay - 20 days
Public holidays - 10 days
Sick days - 8 to 10 days
Workers compensation insurance
Training programs
Toolbox meetings

All the things that have to be paid for and appear magically in the pay packet as needed..
Yes, I understand all that. Your list must be pretty close to what Aussies get wouldn't it be??

What is the minimum leave a full timer gets? 2-4 weeks? We also have a whole bunch of public holidays - prob about the same?? Sick days? I get 20 a year, what is the norm - I rekon 8-10 as well?
Our employers must also pay for some sort of insurance, training and other meetings just the same as the US.

Yet, the OP quotes figures between us and the US of around a 40% difference...

I still can't see how it can be that much more? I think it could be the retirement setup they have there?????

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus personal protective gear and uniforms and boots if supplied by coy.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
bob^
LPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
$25 an hr on the production line is about tops. Trades would make somewhere around 30-35 I think.
Yeah not far off.
Around $28 for a level 1, $35 for a level 6 trade.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What trades do they have at Ford, I seen they where taking in apprentice motor mechanics at Broadmeadows in 2010.

What would a mechanic do over there besides the obvious (work on cars), its not like they service the cars there, would certainly be other type of jobs right?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
bob^
LPS

They service the fleet cars mate. They also employ mechanics at the proving grounds and product development. As for other trades, you have maintenance electricians and fitter and turners. One or two plumbers and a couple of boiler makers and sheet metal workers are also employed.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought someone posted up something the other day showing that apart from Germany, we had the most expensive labour costs?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #22
Pandemic

If its cheaper, then why has Ford said wages play a part as to why we pay more compared to other countries..?
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Then add per car costs .. Seeing we make less it would be higher per car...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don`t forget a lot of the reason our wages are higher is because every bloody thing is expensive here, including doing business and cost of living !
Old 17-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai in Korea (per Article in todays Australian) are having issues with labour union. Union wants 13000 contract workers made permanent. Union wants the current 2x10 hour shifts per day down to 1 day shift citing health and family concerns. Company has offered 1x8 and 1 x9 hour shift, per day.
Hyundai/Kia due to industrial action are running out of stock.

It got me thinking about Fords underutilised car assembly plant at Broadmeadows and whether Ford could contract build Hyundais to take up assemby slack.
This would keep local workers in a job. Lets face it Hyundai and Kia are growing popular brands and the demand is there unlike models built now under the Ford brand which due to a changing market demand is slipping.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #26
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

There's a misconception there though. It's Falcon that's becoming unpopular. Not Ford.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
don`t forget a lot of the reason our wages are higher is because every bloody thing is expensive here, including doing business and cost of living !
Don't forget though, our high standard of living is one of the things we like to point out when saying Australia is a better place to live......kinda like a double edged sword.....

......or to put it another way....what is it really costing us to maintain this standard of living....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
BroadyFord

Don't show these figures to the unions!
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

I wonder how these figures line up with Ford's factories in Asian countries (Thailand i think...?). That will probably be a real eye opener, and give an insight into the economies of scale gained in that region.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Don't forget though, our high standard of living is one of the things we like to point out when saying Australia is a better place to live......kinda like a double edged sword.....

......or to put it another way....what is it really costing us to maintain this standard of living....
I don`t know what the answer is(but i have my own theory), every week that goes by people are getting the bullet, another load of workers went from my brothers place of employment last week, his company are packing and going to manilla, to expensive to operate here.
i just think that the way our country`s is being run the only way for us to compete is to throw away some of the many things that Australians fought for many years, sick pay, holiday pay, penalty rates, some of the social safety nets, and i don`t believe we have to or should, it`s political policy imo and not just about wages..